Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He supports Villa x
I guess as a Brighton fan on a Utd forum, I should really stop presuming everyone else supports Utd.

But he must be worried about the rumours of Hughton taking over at West Brom!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Begrudgingly I think he’ll do a good job for you, although from a derby perspective Hughton couldn’t have done much better last season! I am most interested in seeing how Dunk and Duffy cope in a more expansive system, it’ll be a big change for them. Has there been any rumour about how much he’ll have to spend and what positions need filling?
This quote from his opening presser suggests not a huge amount of transfer action

“I’m not expecting massive amounts. I think there’s some good players here and a lot of good work has already been done. Any football club will look to try and use the window to try and improve but my focus has always been on trying to help the players that are already here to improve and to get better."

I presume Tony Bloom will feel he spent alot in the last two windows, Locadia, Jahankbhash, Andone, Bernardo, Bissouma, Montoya and Balogun as well as alot of youngsters and he hasn't got his money's worth yet. One of the reasons Hughton went was because the club felt he hadn't got enough out of the new players.

Though we have been linked with McBurnie and James at Swansea!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The job he did there in Sweden was incredible. Just try to check some articles about his time there if you can. Honestly I hope he is given some time to implement his ideas, knowing of course if they don’t start well everyone will question him.
I didn’t bold anything about his job in Sweden. I meant ‘guiding Swansea to 10th in the Championship’ and ‘nearly’ beating City are not massive achievements.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I didn’t bold anything about his job in Sweden. I meant ‘guiding Swansea to 10th in the Championship’ and ‘nearly’ beating City are not massive achievements.
It's all about context, he took over at a club in the doldrums with no strategy or direction and in a financial mess. Lost 16 players, brought in 5 youngsters mainly from U23 squads.

He turned Swansea around and got them playing attractive progressive football and was in contention for the play offs for much of the season - I'd say that was a pretty massive achievement. As for going 2 up against City but finally losing again it shows the confidence and belief he brought to the team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ok I misread that sorry. Yes 10th place didn’t looked great but then if we look at the players who left and the ones signed don’t know if it could be much better than that.

Let’s see.

Paul_Scholes18

He did really great things in Sweden. He gets his players working as a unit very well. Good movement both with and without the ball a lot of the time.
They deserved to knock out Man City.

I think Brighton got a poor squad, but I think he can probably make them work alright. He is quite flexible as well I think.

Paul_Scholes18

They got totally robbed against City by the ref.

Perseus

I thought he did very well at Swansea considering all the cost cutting they were doing during the year (freezing out likes of Fer, Bony, Dyer and Wayne Routledge who were all still part of their squad).

Played a very young 11 yet were only a few points off the play offs in the end.

My gut feeling is he should've stayed there another year. I think Swansea could've been a Norwich type surprise package next year. Of course it's difficult to turn down a premier league job but think Brighton are on the decline now and might be difficult for him to stop that especially if they play more easy on the eye football.
The changes came as a shock to both Brighton and Swansea fans, both teams in transition (a bit like decline), both changes a forced by about a year. I think both teams need more quality in important positions. For Brighton in midfield and attack and now at right back.

BHA have a few new players but so has the competition.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This is exactly the type of appointment that Ole should be getting in my eyes. A great step up from managing Molde, and a club that has the potential to grow without the overhanging expectations of winning silverware.

I think this is a good appointment by Brighton, but I don't think they should have sacked Chris Houghton though - good manager with a pretty average squad. I think they finished in line with the squad's ability.
Agree 100% That would be the logcal way to go. Not from Molde to Manchester United.

Cloud7

Hmmm Roy Hodgson worked wonders in Scandinavia once upon a time..
He was awful for you guys and mediocre for England but I don’t think his career was that bad when looked at as a whole. More noteworthy than a lot of other cloggers out there.

poleglass red

I like this appt. It's a move away from the usual PL names such as Moyes, Pardew, Big Sam, Mark Hughes. A bit like the appt of Rodgers at Leicester, very progressive. I could see this being an improvement. I actually liked Hughton, still do, I just think it got a bit stale and he took them as far as he could.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was awful for you guys and mediocre for England but I don’t think his career was that bad when looked at as a whole. More noteworthy than a lot of other cloggers out there.
Influential on Sweden, qualified Switzerland to USA 94 in a group with one of the strongest Italian sides I can remember, a good if not perfect Portugal side, and Scotland at the time was regular on those competitions.

In that World Cup in a group with Colombia they qualified to the last 16.

At Inter I don’t think he was a failure, only bad relations with the press. And playing Roberto Carlos as a winger didn’t helped.

His job with Fulham, Palace is more than good, reaching a Europa League final. Don’t remember if he worked well at West Brom.

So on a long career only the Liverpool or England job can be described as failure. Also don’t remember how things worked out with Rovers.

Anyway he is far from being a joke but is seen like that for those reasons.

Of course I liked more Bobby Robson but that is another conversation.

SwedishFish

He did an incredible job at Östersund moreover, he has fantastic staff working alongside him that help him identify great talent.

He had shaped Östersund into a hard-working side that could take on any team on a very slim budget often taking youngsters who'd failed elsewhere and fulfilling their potential.

Shrewd appointment by Brighton which very well may give them the boost that they need to establish themselves further up in the Premier League table.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His job with Fulham, Palace is more than good, reaching a Europa League final. Don’t remember if he worked well at West Brom.
He was very good for West Brom too. They were in 17th position when he took over and 2 points from 20th position. They finished the season in 11th position. Since he took over, they were 5th in the table that season gaining more points than teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Aston Villa. They also scored most goals than any team

2011-12 season they finished in 10th position, just 5 points behind Liverpool. He was appointed as England manager after that.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I like this appt. It's a move away from the usual PL names such as Moyes, Pardew, Big Sam, Mark Hughes. A bit like the appt of Rodgers at Leicester, very progressive. I could see this being an improvement. I actually liked Hughton, still do, I just think it got a bit stale and he took them as far as he could.
This.

Moyes, Pardew, Big Sam etc have never been Tony Bloom's style. He has generally gone for the less obvious and bar Sami Hyppia they've generally been a success. Gus Poyet got his first and possibly only successful managerial appointment from Bloom, then Oscar Garcia, Hughton was more of a tried and tested manager and just what we needed to stabilise and build us back up after Hyppia's disasterous time in charge and now Potter looks a great appointment.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really pleased with this appointment, I was gutted to see Chris Hughton go as he has been brilliant for us, clearing up the mess that Hyppia left behind and gaining promotion (something I thought I'd never see!) but Potter did a brilliant job with Swansea, working with young talent and freezing out the big names that were past it.

Would love to know what makes you think this, I've seen Brighton on the decline in the past and this is not it. We have a solid defence in Duffy and Dunk, some real promise in midfield, Knockaert, Izquierdo, March are all talented wingers just needing consistency, just need to replace Murray up front, though Andone shows promise and I'm hopeful we'll see more from Locadia.

Our squad is a healthy mix of youth and experience, our club is run properly and is financially sound, we have a great stadium and state of the art training
Nice to have some Brighton fans on here! When I meant in decline I meant in premier league. Once you get into a slump it's hard to shake out of it as we found, Sunderland did, Newcastle.
facilities - this is a club on the up. Yes we had a bad run in 2019 but as a Utd fan you know that that can happen! Hughton took this team as far as he could, really interested to see what Potter can achieve.
Nice to have some Brighton fans on here! When I meant in decline I meant in premier league. Once you get into a slump it's hard to shake out of it as we found, Sunderland did, Newcastle. Brighton won fewer league games than Cardiff which surprised me.

Think issue is Brighton's home form. Won only 1 of your last 9 home games (v Huddersfield) and it wasn't even that hard a run (lost to Burnley, Cardiff, Bournemouth and Southampton in that run). Once you lose that fortress feel on home turf it's very hard to make up the points on the road, Stoke found that out a few years back.

Yeah forward players is interesting. I mentioned before I thought Izquierdo had a very interesting debut season so was looking forward to seeing more of him this year, was he just injured or out of form? Knockaert is very hit and miss at prem level, can't see Locadia suddenly coming good. I wonder if Potter might bring Celina with him from Swansea.

If the worst happens then what I would say is Brighton infastructure is miles better than many relegated clubs to bounce straight back.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I guess as a Brighton fan on a Utd forum, I should really stop presuming everyone else supports Utd.

But he must be worried about the rumours of Hughton taking over at West Brom!
Well hopefully in a week's time I won't be hugely caring what WBA are up to!:nervous:

Yeah Hughton would be a very good fit for them but there seems to be some real penny pinching going on at the top as I assumed they'd go for Jokanovic or
Wagner when Darren Moore was sacked and it didn't happen.

Sometimes as manager you have to take the opportunities that present itself. I'd be hugely intrigued to see what Potter could do with say Watford, Palace or West Ham's squad but none of them are vacant for once this summer so Brighton will have to do.

Moriarty

This.

Moyes, Pardew, Big Sam etc have never been Tony Bloom's style. He has generally gone for the less obvious and bar Sami Hyppia they've generally been a success. Gus Poyet got his first and possibly only successful managerial appointment from Bloom, then Oscar Garcia, Hughton was more of a tried and tested manager and just what we needed to stabilise and build us back up after Hyppia's disasterous time in charge and now Potter looks a great appointment.
Shame you couldn't hang on to Clough and Taylor back in the day. What was the name of the Brighton chairman at the time of whom Cloughie said he was the best he'd ever worked with?

Perseus

Shame you couldn't hang on to Clough and Taylor back in the day. What was the name of the Brighton chairman at the time of whom Cloughie said he was the best he'd ever worked with?
Alongside vice-chairman Harry Bloom, Mike Bamber negotiated the appointment of Brian Clough as manager in November 1973. wiki

Family connections means Tony Bloom will know the consequences of getting relegated.

Moriarty

Alongside vice-chairman Harry Bloom, Mike Bamber negotiated the appointment of Brian Clough as manager in November 1973. wiki

Family connections means Tony Bloom will know the consequences of getting relegated.
Mike Bamber. That's it. Thanks. Ended up selling Peter Ward to Cloughie at Forest didn't he? I think it was about the same time Birtles moved here. I went to the old Goldstone Ground a few times when we played there. A nice little ground it was too.

Last edited:

Perseus

Mike Bamber. That's it. Thanks. Ended up selling Peter Ward to Cloughie at Forest didn't he? I think it was about the same time Birtles moved here. I went to the old Goldstone Ground a few times when we played there. A nice little ground it was too.
Ward finally did move to Nottingham Forest in October 1980 in a three-way deal which saw Gary Birtles leave Forest for Manchester United and Andy Ritchie move south from United to Brighton.

Andy Ritchie was not a success at Brighton.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting appointment. It gets the thumbs up from me just for the fact it isn't one of the old dinosaurs of managers that keep getting employed

Perseus

Interesting appointment. It gets the thumbs up from me just for the fact it isn't one of the old dinosaurs of managers that keep getting employed
A sea change in thinking I expect. It was the Old Guard in defence that rescued Brighton in the final reckoning after the newcomers let the side down. Failing to score from open play in the home games was the major weakness from the previous season. 11 less goals, 8 less if you count in counter attacks. These goals could have been the difference between safety and relegation.

Moriarty

Ward finally did move to Nottingham Forest in October 1980 in a three-way deal which saw Gary Birtles leave Forest for Manchester United and Andy Ritchie move south from United to Brighton.

Andy Ritchie was not a success at Brighton.
Wasn't much of a success at United either. Had a great start though. I once saw him score a hat-trick against Leeds and thought he was bound for greatness.

Idxomer

Good stuff BHA are playing and he didn't need much time to implement his style and show what he's about.

Ludens the Red

Good stuff BHA are playing and he didn't need much time to implement his style and show what he's about.
Yeah and it’s shit it kind of needs to be used as a stick to beat ole with but it needs to be pointed out and said to all those who revert to “oh the players are all shit”.
Of course their incompetence is a contributing factor to our current state but Potter has been at Brighton four months and they’ve almost completely changed their style from what is was under Hughton. They also had two academy players in their team today who played exceptionally well.
With Ole we’re almost a year in and there’s no plan, no style of play, nothing. And there is absolutely no way Brighton have better players than Manchester United.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why did they give him a new 6 (!) year contract after a few of months in the job? 1 win in 9 and they could well be relegated if they play like they did tonight.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
But I thought he was a great up-and-coming manager who 'transformed' Brighton :lol:

In all seriousness, margins are fine with these smaller clubs. They're more prone to prolonged periods of bad form.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Tries to play an attacking style of football and there good to watch. Obviously being a club of Brighton's stature they are going to go on bad runs of form which is expected. It just depends on whether Potter can turn it round and get results when it's getting tough. It's what Howe and Dyche have done for years, always have a really bad run of form and they will be looking over their shoulders towards the relegation zone before they both manage to turn it round, not sure they will this year but generally speaking.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Tries to play an attacking style of football and there good to watch. Obviously being a club of Brighton's stature they are going to go on bad runs of form which is expected. It just depends on whether Potter can turn it round and get results when it's getting tough. It's what Howe and Dyche have done for years, always have a really bad run of form and they will be looking over their shoulders towards the relegation zone before they both manage to turn it round, not sure they will this year but generally speaking.
Only Dyche's football is shite and they have some shithouse players

Nine points clear of the relegation zone now. What a stellar job he’s done.
Shows it can be done on a limited budget and a good football philosophy

Prodigal7

I know people said Brighton were garbage against us but I genuinely thought they were the best team we’ve played against since the restart, including Tottenham.

His players look supremely confident with the ball and were always really threatening against us.

very impressive manager IMO

jamesjimmybyrondean

I know people said Brighton were garbage against us but I genuinely thought they were the best team we’ve played against since the restart, including Tottenham.

His players look supremely confident with the ball and were always really threatening against us.

Yes I noticed they are a very bold team and put up a fight against top 6 teams from the matches I've seen

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Quite impressive. He has a style and the players just fits like a glue. All 3 defenders are so comfortable on the ball . Definitely could do a job for big team (no offense to Brighton)