Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Never gets any criticism because he plays 'great' football. They're in a relegation battle this season.

AshRK

I like the way he sets his team up but he should be careful of not making the same mistake as eddie howe.

Untd55

They have had their fair share of bad luck, and mostly bad finishing.

The issue is their shooting, not their general play. Unfortunately, their attackers can't shoot. They had 20 shots against Crystal Palace, but 17 were off target and only managed to score once, whilst Crystal Palace had 1 shot and scored.

They had 18 shots against us and hit the post 5 times.

Potter has coached them well, but without goalscorers, they won't win no matter how they play, so I don't see what there is to criticise him for.

Their results don't look great, but you have to consider the three losses have been against us, Chelsea, and Everton. They have drawn twice and won once against the three clubs you expect them to have a chance to beat this season.

Nickosaur

Never gets any criticism because he plays 'great' football. They're in a relegation battle this season.
That was an absolutely shocking 2nd half. But bear in mind Lewis Dunk was missing today. Absolute rock and a huge presence on the pitch.

Brighton will be fine. Maupay has been poor the last few games and missed plenty of big chances. I expect Welbeck and Connolly will get chances ahead of him in the coming weeks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's done a very good job thus far at Brighton with a very limited budget and has got his ideas implemented into his team very quickly and plays a very proactive brand of football which is very good to see.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Swansea have mostly a good eye for "young coaches": Martinez, Rodgers, Potter and now Cooper
They sure do mate. I just hope Potter lives up to his potential because a progressive coach like him is what our England team needs IMO.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Of course the wrong topic for this thread but like you have said "we need a progressive coach like him" for so many quality attacking players in the next years.
That's my worry with the current situation. We have so many talented players but unfortunately we don't have a head coach who I think can get the best out of them. We need a progressive coach who can implement his ideas and bring out the best of the players. Under Southgate I feel we're gonna waste talent due to his limitations as a coach.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That's my worry with the current situation. We have so many talented players but unfortunately we don't have a head coach who I think can get the best out of them. We need a progressive coach who can implement his ideas and bring out the best of the players. Under Southgate I feel we're gonna waste talent due to his limitations as a coach.
The only good thing is that the most national teams haven't really good coaches.

Idxomer

Definitely one of the most interesting managers in the league, will probably coach Everton or Spurs someday.

MU655

Brighton has played well in most of the games against the top sides this season, but they have not taken any points. It seems they have started to turn that around now with Tottenham and Liverpool. Brilliant results for them and is putting them in a good position with 3 wins in the 4 games.

A decent gap is beginning to open up between them and relegation. Now 10 points clear of Fulham, who have a game in hand. They have also overtaken Newcastle. I would say Potter is doing a really good job with them; playing good football and avoiding relegation would be fantastic and they are well on their way.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fair play, these last two results have basically ensured safety. They're still not clinical enough but they've shored up defensively which means they don't have to score 2-3 per game to win. 4 clean sheets in a row is impressive.

dbs235

Fair play, these last two results have basically ensured safety. They're still not clinical enough but they've shored up defensively which means they don't have to score 2-3 per game to win. 4 clean sheets in a row is impressive.
They've got some good defenders. Bigger clubs want Dunk and White, and Webster is decent too.

Chairman Steve

I have a Swansea supporting friend who waxes lyrical about Potter. He gave the likes of Joe Rodon and Dan James their first chances at Swansea, who both went on to Spurs and Utd respectively and made a lot of money for Swansea to fund their ongoing promotion push with a legitimately good team for that level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good turnaround from him, still missing one of their best players in Lamptey too.

simplyared

Credit to him. Very well organized outfit! Clearly their position in the table not doing them justice. His game plan last night against Liverpool was spot on. Defensively they were so well drilled. Liverpool were just not going to score. At the same time a real threat going forward.

Nickosaur

They've got some good defenders. Bigger clubs want Dunk and White, and Webster is decent too.
Potter has been well justified in binning Shane Duffy. Many couldn't understand it, but in Dunk, White, and Webster, Brighton have 3 of the best ball playing defenders in the league. It's essential to the way they play.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Potter has been well justified in binning Shane Duffy. Many couldn't understand it, but in Dunk, White, and Webster, Brighton have 3 of the best ball playing defenders in the league. It's essential to the way they play.
Considering how bad he has been at Celtic, I'm guessing it wasn't a hard decision to make. Looks like a non league player now.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He’s a good manager for a lower Prem club as he seems to do a lot of research and set up the team in an appropriate way for the task.

Being at a top team, where there’s more of an emphasis on playing your own way, and having the other team worry about adapting, is a different matter.

I’m not saying he couldn’t do that, but it’s worth bearing in mind.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They were imperious last night. While that lanky one on the right was playing like Maldini. :lol:

Nickosaur

Considering how bad he has been at Celtic, I'm guessing it wasn't a hard decision to make. Looks like a non league player now.
His ability at set-pieces inflated some fans' perception of him. He's shite imo.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Why wouldn’t they be in a relegation battle? They’re Brighton. Have you seen their squad? It’s Championship level.

macheda14

He’s a good manager for a lower Prem club as he seems to do a lot of research and set up the team in an appropriate way for the task.

Being at a top team, where there’s more of an emphasis on playing your own way, and having the other team worry about adapting, is a different matter.

Apart from him actually having quite a consistent playing style over his last two clubs. Recently he’s had to become a bit more pragmatic. But (and I hate this stat) they have one of the highest expected goals in the league but their strikers have just been shooting blanks all season. He’s actually a very proactive trucking manage, who has now shown that he can set up a good defence as well.

Inigo Montoya

Good point but young managers will need the step up at some point. He's served a great apprenticeship atBrighton, and is ready for another challenge.

crossy1686

career ending
If you want to manage a big club one day, you have to play this kind of football otherwise you end up becoming Sam Allardyce. It's better to get relegated playing expansive football than stay up playing defensive. Look at Martinez.

Inigo Montoya

Let’s get Bissouma of them.
Please! Calm as you like. Looks half arsed bit like Grealish, then bursts into action. Stopped quite a few attacks and then gave the ball to attacking players. Didn't hang on to it. Very Makalele like, get and give.

Rice loves to get it and drive forward to the opposing area. Not vastly different to what we have at the moment. Bissouma is very disciplined to protect their back 4

tomaldinho1

Why wouldn’t they be in a relegation battle? They’re Brighton. Have you seen their squad? It’s Championship level.
Yh I don't get why some posters have no ability to assess things comparatively. He's doing a good job, he's in the same boat as Hasenhuttl, maybe less Bielsa because he's actually had a decent amount of money, in that they are trying to play a certain way, have awful squads and no real spending power but are not just sitting deep.

Potter is the perfect example of how bad the current system is for young, particularly English, managers. Compare his experience to someone like Ole, Frank, Arteta etc - he had to start off in some god awful tier of Swedish football whereas Ole went straight to Molde, Lampard went to Derby and Arteta's first job is Arsenal. Potter took Ostersund all the way up in a very short time, did incredibly in the Europa & won a domestic trophy - that experience is probably 'better' than all of the above's combined and yet he had to go to Swansea to prove himself before going to Brighton, where he has to prove himself again. I hope he does get a chance at a bigger club because otherwise I think he'll be in a Howe scenario where he gets them to be a PL mainstay, everyone talks about him being good, playing good football but no one takes a chance on him. Left long enough every manager burns out and then someone like Woy or Big Sam comes in, gets paid more and goes back to hoof ball.