Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I don't see United going for another british manager after what happened with Moyes.
You can say Van Gaal was dutch as ETH, but he had some reputation as top manager before moving to United.

I can't see Liverpool,United,City, or Chelsea going for british managers, they'd rather get some continental manager with reputation like Luis Enrique,ETH,Zidane,etc even if they are unproven in PL.
Maybe he should change his name to Graham Potterini or Graham Gonzales del Sol.

I reckon this guy could get the England NT once Southgate leaves.
Well then he's fecked by default if you believe Sol Campbell.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The thing is, much as people moan (usually English simpleton pundits) about English managers not getting a fair crack at managing a 'big team' the simple fact is none of them have, frankly, been good enough. Potter I think may just be the exception, at the present.
Now who was the last hyped up English manager ? Eddie Howe ,and he'll probably be getting his p45 soon if he doesn't turn it around in Geordie land.

Long Time Red

I think United need a manager who has the character to ride out adversity and who's great at resetting the squad in a slump. Something Sir Alex was underrated at brushing off a bad result and making amends in the next set of fixtures. The club has struggled with consistency under every manager post SAF.

Potter is very promising in this regard Brighton have only lost 4 games all season. They play the best football outside of the top 3. No matter what the fans think the squad is incredibly average.
I really don't think character matters that much anymore.

Coaching success now is down to how well you can coach passing out from the back and a coherent press.

If you can do those 2 things you can go a long way in the game and Potter is coaching both of those exceptionally well with players that none of the big clubs are chasing other than Bissouma and Lamptey who haven't even been playing recently.

Whoever gets him is going to get a really top coach and I'd back him to be a success wherever he goes next.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't see United going for another british manager after what happened with Moyes.
You can say Van Gaal was dutch as ETH, but he had some reputation as top manager before moving to United.

I can't see Liverpool,United,City, or Chelsea going for british managers, they'd rather get some continental manager with reputation like Luis Enrique,ETH,Zidane,etc even if they are unproven in PL.
Maybe he should change his name to Graham Potterini or Graham Gonzales del Sol.

I reckon this guy could get the England NT once Southgate leaves.
Potter and Moyes couldn't be further apart in their ideals when it comes to implementing a style of play.

I can see one of the big teams going for Potter, if the plan is to follow a footballing blueprint.

croadyman

His team play some real easy on the eye football, however do worry the step up to a bigger club would damage him.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’d be interesting to see BHA with a couple of really good strikers.
Their players look average enough but they’re clicking fairly well as a unit.

On that Webster goal; I’d love to see us dominate at corners like that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is he better than Rodgers at Swansea? And if so, why?

Josh 76

Potter and Moyes couldn't be further apart in their ideals when it comes to implementing a style of play.

I can see one of the big teams going for Potter, if the plan is to follow a footballing blueprint.
Potters ceiling is Spurs.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Can't wait for him to leave Brighton to be honest and as a supporter of their arch rivals, I think that says it all. He hasn't beaten Palace in his 6 games against us but in all bar one they gave us the absolute runaround and could have easily knocked 3 or 4 past us with a bit more composure. I think he's ready for a bigger job and not necessarily a PL job either, could see him taking a step to somewhere like Dortmund and giving Bayern a run for their money. I am 100% convinced that whoever gets him will be getting a top, top coach. I'm also unsure who Brighton might be able to attract that is anywhere near as good as he is, so fingers crossed.

Classical Mechanic

I doubt he'd even come to United because he seems to be aware how the setup of a club has a big impact on the manager's ability to be successful. He apparently turned down Spurs and Everton because of this.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can't wait for him to leave Brighton to be honest and as a supporter of their arch rivals, I think that says it all. He hasn't beaten Palace in his 6 games against us but in all bar one they gave us the absolute runaround and could have easily knocked 3 or 4 past us with a bit more composure. I think he's ready for a bigger job and not necessarily a PL job either, could see him taking a step to somewhere like Dortmund and giving Bayern a run for their money. I am 100% convinced that whoever gets him will be getting a top, top coach. I'm also unsure who Brighton might be able to attract that is anywhere near as good as he is, so fingers crossed.
Great point, imagine Dortmund went in for him!

TheReligion

Abusive
Easily one of the most impressive coaches in Europe and has been for a while. He ticks many of the boxes top coaches need.

Great man manager, top footballing tactics, extremely smart, signs great players, well liked by players, humble etc.

The problem is though I don't reckon there's many jobs he'd actually go for. He turned down Spurs in the summer. He said he'd turn down the Everton job too - he acknowledged that his success is just as entirely reliant on the board, players, staff and chairman at Brighton. He's a smart guy so I doubt he'd be dying to leave a good setup and a very well built squad for inferior projects. I'm not even sure he'd be dying to come to United given the state of our squad.
ha ha what a bizarre thought

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
His team play some real easy on the eye football, however do worry the step up to a bigger club would damage him.
People said that when he moved from Sweden to Championship and then from Swansea to Brighton.

If you follow Potter's career you'll see one thing he is exceptionally good at is man management. All his teams have been seen as really close groups where they all get on and play for each other. I don't want him to ever leave Brighton, but he will and it will be a big team and they will get one of the very best managers around today anywhere.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm also unsure who Brighton might be able to attract that is anywhere near as good as he is, so fingers crossed.
This is my big worry - he wont be with us for ever, Spurs made me nervous, it was clear he was never going to go to Everton given the issues and set up they have. I'm not sure he'd even go to United at the moment. Tony Bloom is obviously going nowhere, if we can keep Ashworth and Potter for another couple of seasons I'd be happy.

Nickosaur

I really hope he can at least beat Palace before he does inevitably leave!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This, he has no right to be doing what he's doing. Same for Ten Hag on fairness. Only reason I prefer Ten Hag is how he's so focused on winning. Lord knows we need to change the mentality of the organisation.
My only fear that our dressing room would stop listening to either once things get a tad bumpy. Neither have the seniority in football to put them back in their place.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s definitely the best British manager since Rodgers. Swansea finished 12th that season, with 47 goals for and 51 against. Brighton are on course for a similar-ish finish.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How do you come to that conclusion?
I think he put it so eloquently himself the other day when linked to Everton. «Not sexy enough» with that look and that name.

I think it is a type of «framing bias» based on a very quick and superficial analysis. It certainly has nothing to do with what he has done with Brighton. After ETH, he is probably the guy that would excite me the most.

padzilla

Hipster
ha ha what a bizarre thought
I am not sure it is, we have a squad of big names players that seems fundamentally unable to dominate opponents in the vast majority of games.

David Moyes, Louis Van Gaal, Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer all failed to turn it around.

Mourinho and Van Gaal were perennial league winners at their other clubs, teams that didn't have close to the resources United had, and didn't come close to turning it around.

I am sure the size of the challenge at United has not gone unnoticed by other managers, many of whom would be forgiven for thinking the job was a poisoned chalice.

Thiagoal

He’s progressive, his teams are settled and play for each other, he has an eye for a real bargain, he presses (in the Ragnick mould) and seems like a top bloke that the fans would warm too! In conclusion, we should sign him up ASAP

SteveCoppellFan

Considering the sheer amount of dross United fans have had to put up with over recent years, I would be more than happy to see Potter as United.

We need a complete system reboot and Potter would be a great place to start imo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he put it so eloquently himself the other day when linked to Everton. «Not sexy enough» with that look and that name.

I think it is a type of «framing bias» based on a very quick and superficial analysis. It certainly has nothing to do with what he has done with Brighton. After ETH, he is probably the guy that would excite me the most.
Agreed mate, he's a top coaching talent that i'd be very happy if we appointed.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Because back then, the competition was very different. Not a single team play the type of modern football we see Pep, Klopp, Conte and Tuchel implementing (in different manners). Pochettino was probably the first in the PL to do that.

Potter excel in a highly competitive environment. Mostly due to his teams being very, very well-organized both on and off the ball;

A) How they press,
B) How they transition when they win back the ball,
C) How they build from the back,

Neither have ever been the case for Rodgers.

Classical Mechanic

utterly ridiculous:lol:
It's basically why Klopp turned us down. It's naive to believe that all managers are simply swayed by the name, history and money. Potter is by his own admission a guy who wants a project and to build something. If the structure isn't there behind the scenes to enable this then the job will become unattractive to some managers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Because back then, the competition was very different. Not a single team play the type of modern football we see Pep, Klopp, Conte and Tuchel implementing (in different manners). Pochettino was probably the first in the PL to do that.

Potter excel in a highly competitive environment. Mostly due to his teams being very, very well-organized both on and off the ball;

A) How they press,

This is a good point and should be noted. The environment now is of a far higher quality with several of the best coaches in the world to contend with. And Potter is doing exceptionally well in such company, whilst maintaining a high level proactive play style against the best coaches in the world, with inferior tools at his disposal.

Last edited:

NoPace

It's basically why Klopp turned us down. It's naive to believe that all managers are simply swayed by the name, history and money. Potter is by his own admission a guy who wants a project and to build something. If the structure isn't there behind the scenes to enable this then the job will become unattractive to some managers.
I don't think it's crazy to think he'd turn us down. We're on manager 5 in 8 years if this one counts as not an interim and who knows what people in the game think of the environment. Pep called him the best England coach and City are smarter than us and him taking the job assuming Pep does step down after next year might already be in the works for all we know. And obviously Potter is willing to go abroad. But presumably he'd take the job because it's just so rare for that to happen, and finishing 4th for 2-3 seasons while he completely overhauls the football shouldn't cost him his job with the state we are in.

I hope we can get him, though. His ceiling seems high but his floor too, since you can see how much multiple Brighton players have improved under him or found success in new roles. They played lovely triangles today and were on top for the entire first 70 minutes. Chelsea's front 4 had so little of the ball. The Brighton players always made options off the ball for their teammates, and basically they had 2 genuine quality players on the pitch in the wingbacks, though Webster is quite solid generally and was brilliant so maybe that's harsh on him. I think Dunk gets a bit too much credit but his lack of pace creates problems at time and Webster not enough.

A) How they press,

Completely agree. Rodgers has done a good job overall but it's been over a season now that Leicester have no real identity week to week on the pitch. Troubling.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Done a terrific job at Brighton, for sure. Only won 6 from 21 this season though, which isn't to say he's not overachieving with what he has but it's also not fabulous in terms of wins. Fewer than Villa. Same as Brentford.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They are a complete mess up front as soon as they draw level and often a mess at the back whenever they go ahead. Quite impressive how much they shit the bed as soon as they're not losing. World class while they're losing mind. Very odd team.

minoo-utd

Looking at a team like Brighton with all respect and seeing them play such football is just a magnificent job. He will have a bright future. With better tools I can see him succeed very well at top level. For big clubs IMO he is a risk very well worth to take.

Anustart89

No way he'd head to you guys, the set up at Brighton is much more steady and assured than at Everton and he appreciates it.
Which is why I think he'd have reservations about joining us too, unfortunately.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Agree with this.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
This is my big worry - he wont be with us for ever, Spurs made me nervous, it was clear he was never going to go to Everton given the issues and set up they have. I'm not sure he'd even go to United at the moment. Tony Bloom is obviously going nowhere, if we can keep Ashworth and Potter for another couple of seasons I'd be happy.
Knowing Ashworth is talking to Newcastle do you have any concern that he might take Potter with him if he goes? It's not an attractive job right now but if they stay up it could be a different ball game come the summer. Or do you think he's beyond that job now?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Done a terrific job at Brighton, for sure. Only won 6 from 21 this season though, which isn't to say he's not overachieving with what he has but it's also not fabulous in terms of wins. Fewer than Villa. Same as Brentford.
To be fair, Villa have a far superior team/squad on paper... Brighton are definitely closer to a Brentford then a Villa.

And on the other foot, Brighton have only lost 4 times this season,... 4th lowest in the league behind City/Pool/Chelsea.

Mickson

People said that when he moved from Sweden to Championship and then from Swansea to Brighton.

If you follow Potter's career you'll see one thing he is exceptionally good at is man management. All his teams have been seen as really close groups where they all get on and play for each other. I don't want him to ever leave Brighton, but he will and it will be a big team and they will get one of the very best managers around today anywhere.
He's easily the best coach in the Swedish league in the last 10-20 years.

Long Time Red

My only fear that our dressing room would stop listening to either once things get a tad bumpy. Neither have the seniority in football to put them back in their place.
The players will have played against his Brighton team numerous times and will know how difficult they were to play against.

He will have plenty of credit in the bank with the players because of that.

It's pretty obvious it's going to be ETH or Poch but Potter is someone Fletcher and our analysis department should be doing a deep dive and perhaps interview.