Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They are a complete mess up front as soon as they draw level and often a mess at the back whenever they go ahead. Quite impressive how much they shit the bed as soon as they're not losing. World class while they're losing mind. Very odd team.
Danny Ings type upfront would be really good fit for them. We'll sell for 20m + in summer as he hasn't been a great fit for us so would be surprised if they're not interested.

Nickosaur

Danny Ings type upfront would be really good fit for them. We'll sell for 20m + in summer as he hasn't been a great fit for us so would be surprised if they're not interested.
Would do well at Brighton but presumably he's on fairly high wages?

People always point at Brighton getting a big striker in, but the biggest obstacle there is finding a player good enough but who won't break their wage structure. I think Lallana is the current top earner at 70k a week.

GlasgowCeltic

England have finally produced a modern football manager, and it only took him leaving England to do it

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Would do well at Brighton but presumably he's on fairly high wages?

People always point at Brighton getting a big striker in, but the biggest obstacle there is finding a player good enough but who won't break their wage structure. I think Lallana is the current top earner at 70k a week.
If breaking your wage structure gets you into Europe it's got to be worth it surely? Put Vardy in Brighton's team and I think they'd win more than Leicester do for example.

432JuanMata

So impressed with what he has done at Brighton. Last season not having a ST let them down and then sold White for 50m yet didn’t buy a replacement or a ST and still they look great.
He literally has Brighton playing lovely football and feel now he can’t take them further so I feel he’ll leave in summer and wonder where he goes

flameinthesun

In a perfect world he would become united manager in the summer with Ralf supporting him upstairs. I'm not necessarily a fan of managers always having to make a step up to a everton, west ham type team before getting a job like uniteds. If a coach is doing wonders and over achieving relative to the club hes at, then just like a player in the same position you snap him up.

432JuanMata

In a perfect world he would become united manager in the summer with Ralf supporting him upstairs. I'm not necessarily a fan of managers always having to make a step up to a everton, west ham type team before getting a job like uniteds. If a coach is doing wonders and over achieving relative to the club hes at, then just like a player in the same position you snap him up.
Also add in the fact he has overachieved everywhere. It’s a difficult task to get the United job but if he did I be happy as it’s obvious he is a top coach

flameinthesun

Also add in the fact he has overachieved everywhere. It’s a difficult task to get the United job but if he did I be happy as it’s obvious he is a top coach
Exactly, his profile is exactly the type of manager we should be looking for. After all it seems to be the key ingredient for most of the great managers, consistent over achievement

432JuanMata

Exactly, his profile is exactly the type of manager we should be looking for. After all it seems to be the key ingredient for most of the great managers, consistent over achievement
Yeah that’s exactly it. Potter has a average Brighton playing teams off the park and also seems like he has the head for a big job.

When they Drew 0-0 this season and there fans booed his post match about them being 8th and maybe he needs a lesson of the clubs history was feisty and showed me would deal with egos etc in a big job

Comet49

I like Potter but a manager for us without European experience, don’t think so. One to keep an eye on though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would be cautious. Man Utd is arguably the biggest club in the world and he would have to deal with huge egos. Its a massive difference to brighton.

No doubt the football he plays is beautiful. But coaching is 70 percent psychology and 30 percent tactics as Nagglesman said earlier this year.

Teja

I would be cautious. Man Utd is arguably the biggest club in the world and he would have to deal with huge egos. Its a massive difference to brighton.

No doubt the football he plays is beautiful. But coaching is 70 percent psychology and 30 percent tactics as Nagglesman said earlier this year.
100% agree. I wanted him earlier but given the unrest since Rangnick took over, the next guy needs a big enough ego to handle the job and put superstars in their place.

Ten Hag certainly seems like he can handle it. Potter seems too nice to me.

He'd be the perfect Arsenal / Spurs coach.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
100% agree. I wanted him earlier but given the unrest since Rangnick took over, the next guy needs a big enough ego to handle the job and put superstars in their place.

Ten Hag certainly seems like he can handle it. Potter seems too nice to me.

He'd be the perfect Arsenal / Spurs coach.
Yea i would like to see how he does at one of those clubs or even everton. If i were a betting man i would be gambling on Conte going from spurs maybe in the next year and a half. I imagine they will go for potter.

CloneMC16

And Louis Van Gaal and Mourinho with tons of European experience, they made us great?
Both were finished in fairness. They were good managers in their day.

Potter looks great, but I am wary of his lack of experience at a big club. This would be a huge step up for him. I guess no manager is without risk, but he is way more a risk than someone like Klopp was for Liverpool.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I like Potter but a manager for us without European experience, don’t think so. One to keep an eye on though.
How do you mean, without European experience?

(Hint: look up his time at Östersund.)

city-puma

We need new idea and new philosophy to embrace modern football. Potter has them all.

adkb

I'm one of those who prefer Potter to Ten hag, but mostly because I have not followed Ten Hag. Most posters here are worried if Potter will do well in Europe, however I think that should be least of our worries. Until RR came we lacked tactical input. Say what you will about our last few games; but from a football perspective we have been doing well. The stats are slowly showing our improvement and the results should come. We all are suffering from SAF syndrome where we want someone who understands the club and has the club DNA but to do that we need to really need to be lucky.
In Potter we have someone with tactical understanding. If he is supported well by the people in the higher posts I think we can move in the right direction. We might need 2-3 years but we will get there.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Listar

Potter has Bissouma and we have Fred. They lost 2-0. But sure beautiful football is the be all end all. Lets follow the Arsenal of old.

Bondi77

He gets my vote.
If a player has a big ego and that is detrimental to the team then we piss him off.......Simple!

NoPace

The players would throw him under the bus. He is a nobody
I agree. We'd have to give him genuine power to turf players and multiple years in the job. Still think he and Ten Hag are my first tier though, despite that.

Steven Seagull

He’s the man. Players on £50m contracts are going to do what they like anyway in modern football. If they have no respect for Potter they’d have no respect for Zidane or Mourinho.
Brighton have been consistently outplaying and outthinking better opposition since he came in. Would be mad not to have him on a very shortlist

Lecland07

Not sure what he can really do with Brighton now other than go downwards. I feel they have peaked this season, and it will be difficult to do anything more with them.

A goal scorer could add a lot, but signing a competent one won't be easy. I don't think Potter should pin his reputation on that hope. It is a big risk to go into next season with the same circumstances as this one.

The game against Burnley was very poor, and I know that wasn't to do with goal scorers. But I think it gives a more realistic representation of the player's levels. They are not all that great. Keeping up the level of performances they have shown this season will be difficult to repeat with this group.

MUFC OK

Sack him. Usually happens after the humiliation of losing to United.

IrishRedDevil

Not sure what he can really do with Brighton now other than go downwards. I feel they have peaked this season, and it will be difficult to do anything more with them.

A goal scorer could add a lot, but signing a competent one won't be easy. I don't think Potter should pin his reputation on that hope. It is a big risk to go into next season with the same circumstances as this one.

The game against Burnley was very poor, and I know that wasn't to do with goal scorers. But I think it gives a more realistic representation of the player's levels. They are not all that great. Keeping up the level of performances they have shown this season will be difficult to repeat with this group.
So he should jump ship and not improve the team? ‘‘Peaked’’ at the lofty heights of 9th and falling…

Burnley sold Chris Wood late in January and bought Weghorst. Why did Potter not buy a £12m striker to score goals? Surely that’s the job of a manager?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So he should jump ship and not improve the team? ‘‘Peaked’’ at the lofty heights of 9th and falling…

Burnley sold Chris Wood late in January and bought Weghorst. Why did Potter not buy a £12m striker to score goals? Surely that’s the job of a manager?
Maybe they weren’t willing to spend? They came out of the January window weaker really after losing Dan Burn to Newcastle. He’s improved Brighton massively, there’s no shame in not being able to get that side in the top six.
He’s a very good manager, if he gets a bigger job there’s a good chance he’d be very successful.

Lecland07

Brighton had never been in the Premier League before this time, so I'm not sure what you are expecting. Do you think they will break into the Champions League or Europa League? Many teams in the Premier League have more resources than them, with Newcastle also joining the fray. Getting any further will take enormous expenditure.

Also, for the bolded. No, it is not. The reality is that signings are done by a board, which will include the manager. It is not done by just one person. Scouts and statisticians will play a massive part in this, particularly with how Brighton are so heavily invested in them. They have a process that goes way beyond the manager.

Also, there is the financial decisions which will most likely be completely out of Potter's hands. Managers don't have anywhere near as much power in transfers as people think, especially nowadays with the money involved.

IrishRedDevil

Maybe they weren’t willing to spend? They came out of the January window weaker really after losing Dan Burn to Newcastle. He’s improved Brighton massively, there’s no shame in not being able to get that side in the top six.
He’s a very good manager, if he gets a bigger job there’s a good chance he’d be very successful.
Probably needs to try keep them in the top 10, before talking about the top 6.

It’s a mangers job to sell and buy players to strengthen the squad.

IrishRedDevil

Brighton had never been in the Premier League before, so I'm not sure what you are expecting. Do you think they will break into the Champions League or Europa League? Many teams in the Premier League have more resources than them, with Newcastle also joining the fray. Getting any further will take enormous expenditure.

Also, for the bolded. No, it is not. The reality is that signings are done by a board, which will include the manager. It is not done by just one person. Scouts and statisticians will play a massive part in this, particularly with how Brighton are so heavily invested in them. They have a process that goes way beyond the manager.

Also, there is the financial decisions which will most likely be completely out of Potter's hands. Managers don't have anywhere near as much power in transfers as people think, especially nowadays with the money involved.
No, I’m pointing out this highly rated manager has them 9th and dropping. A season is 38 games, not just the first half. I am not a Burnley fan, but in England that’s the type of teams you regularly face, so you need to setup to play against their type.

Yes there is a team who does transfers, but let’s be real, it’s the manager who falls on the sword if the transfers are poor, or is given praise when the transfers improve the team. He didn’t sign a striker in the summer nor January, that’s ridiculous. The whole country knows Brighton need a striker.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably needs to try keep them in the top 10, before talking about the top 6.

It’s a mangers job to sell and buy players to strengthen the squad.
They’re 9th right now, which as far as I’m aware is in the top ten.
You’re confusing real life football with Fifa I think, it’s his job to set up the team and coach their players to get the best possible results.

Lecland07

No, I’m pointing out this highly rated manager has them 9th and dropping. A season is 38 games, not just the first half. I am not a Burnley fan, but in England that’s the type of teams you regularly face, so you need to setup to play against their type.

Yes there is a team who does transfers, but let’s be real, it’s the manager who falls on the sword if the transfers are poor, or is given praise when the transfers improve the team. He didn’t sign a striker in the summer nor January, that’s ridiculous. The whole country knows Brighton need a striker.
Depends on how you rate the team, I guess. I think they have overachieved thus far as I don't think their players are all that good. They are Premier League standard, but I don't think the team quality is actually all that far from relegation. And I would say this is the fastest they have been safe from relegation, being 15 points from Watford in the relegation zone. They are also on course for their biggest points total (50 - previous is 41).

It was a bad game today, but taking Brighton beyond what they are doing now, with their expenditure, will be hard. And when I said leave, I also meant at the end of season, not right now if that is what you thought.

It is not like they haven't tried to sign a striker, though. All that Edouard stuff had something behind it, but not sure what happened there. There is definite interest, but, for one reason or other, they just haven't done it.

It is true that managers take the blame, even if they aren't at fault, but that is actually more of a reason to leave. The more windows that pass with failing to sign a striker, the more blame he will get. In the end, does he trust the club to get him a striker next window? If no, then he should leave as he will no doubt take the slack. They have failed twice so far.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He lost Dan Burn to Newcastle and was also without both first choice CBs in Webster and Dunc against Burnley.

I think he's just got to do the best he can until the summer and then try bolster his squad via the transfer window.