Gaming Grand Theft Auto 6 - Story "Allegedly" Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Thread for GTA 6

https://www.techradar.com/news/gta-...-but-what-does-that-mean-for-the-games-releas

Summary of link -

Story is complete and was mostly done prior to Houser departing Rockstar.

May indicate that game is not far off, but notes that RDR2's story was completed in 2012 (6 years prior to actual game release).

Link doesn't include the following and includes some previous articles and forum talk across the web:

No indication of location or era set; however, there is some belief that the game will encompass San Andreas, Vice City and Liberty City as one major map with filler between each location - Similar to Red Dead Redemption 2's use of different states of the US depicted in the game (makes sense as the architecture of RDR2 could be incorporated into filler as it literally flows across most of the midwest of the USA).

Be interesting to see if they go back in time again or use the current events in the US as a satire. In all circumstances its almost perfect ammunition for them.

Personally I think Rockstar have taken the piss with GTA on the PS4 with no actual PS4 GTA released. GTA online has been extremely profitable, but it will be interesting to see if that carries through to the next iteration. I note that it appears RDR2's online element has not been met with the same acclaim and I know few people actually playing the game online or have even tried.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We'll get it in five or six years and it'll be the only game Rockstar release in the next generation. GTA Online 2 will come out and they'll milk the shit out of it again.

Deery

Dreary
It will be on PS5 though won’t it? Will probably be released as a big game for when that comes out, I’d say Christmas time 2021as a lot of people will have PS5 by then.

Massive Spanner

It will be on PS5 though won’t it? Will probably be released as a big game for when that comes out, I’d say Christmas time 2021as a lot of people will have PS5 by then.
Not nearly as many as will have one by 2025.

Deery

Dreary
Not nearly as many as will have one by 2025.
Well that’s true, but a game like GTA 6 will get people buying a PS5 relatively easy so they’re going to need big releases to start of with expecting a lot of quality games to be released very quickly on PS5... or everyone will just play PS4 as it’s still pretty good.

Massive Spanner

Well that’s true, but a game like GTA 6 will get people buying a PS5 relatively easy so they’re going to need big releases to start of with expecting a lot of quality games to be released very quickly on PS5... or everyone will just play PS4 as it’s still pretty good.
Why would Rockstar care about that, though? They have no affiliation to Sony. They'll want to maximize profits by releasing it well into the cycle, like they did with RDR2 and GTAV.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
They'll do what they did with V, release it on PS4 and Xbone right at the end of this gen/beginning of next, then make a next gen port a year or two later because they know people will buy it twice.

Massive Spanner

They'll do what they did with V, release it on PS4 and Xbone right at the end of this gen/beginning of next, then make a next gen port a year or two later because they know people will buy it twice.
I agree except they'll do it with the PS5 and Series X. No way are we getting this in the next year.

Deery

Dreary
Why would Rockstar care about that, though? They have no affiliation to Sony. They'll want to maximize profits by releasing it well into the cycle, like they did with RDR2 and GTAV.
I don’t know, but surely Sony have a few titles lined up for the big release otherwise no one will buy it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The game won't be that close to completion, will still be another few years in my opinion. I'd imagine the double dipping is what they would have wanted to happen but progress has been slower. They'll still release it cross-gen but in late 2022/early 2023.

b82REZ

A year or two a go I was talking to an acquaintance who works at Rockstar.

He heavily implied GTA 6 was in development and further along than most people thought so this may be true. He did say they were working on a Swicth port of GTA 5 as well which seems like BS.

Although saying that all the info he gave me on RDR2 was spot on.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I miss Rockstar games. I get how online GTA is a more lucrative business for them but I’d like to get back to getting single player games from them more frequently than every 6-7 years again.

As said before I don’t expect next GTA to come out before 2022 perhaps 2023.

Sarni

A year or two a go I was talking to an acquaintance who works at Rockstar.

He heavily implied GTA 6 was in development and further along than most people thought so this may be true. He did say they were working on a Swicth port of GTA 5 as well which seems like BS.

Although saying that all the info he gave me on RDR2 was spot on.
I’m surprised Switch port hasn’t happened. Is it because Nintendo don’t want adult violent games on their platform?

b82REZ

I’m surprised Switch port hasn’t happened. Is it because Nintendo don’t want adult violent games on their platform?
No idea, mate.

I'd imagine there would be performance limitations though.

I wouldn't be surprised if was scrapped as they wouldn't have been able to push online as much on it because Nintendo's online capabilities are arse.

Massive Spanner

I miss Rockstar games. I get how online GTA is a more lucrative business for them but I’d like to get back to getting single player games from them more frequently than every 6-7 years again.

As said before I don’t expect next GTA to come out before 2022 perhaps 2023.
People seem to make a big deal about R* only releasing games every 5 or 6 years now, but isn't that the case with most big publishers? AAA games simply take far longer to make now. I'm not denying that GTA Online has definitely stunted the speed at which R* put out games but RDR2 showed that they still want to make single player games, given the size of it and vast effort that went into it, and RDR2 would've taken a hell of a lot longer and be far more costly to develop than, for example, the original RDR.

b82REZ

People seem to make a big deal about R* only releasing games every 5 or 6 years now, but isn't that the case with most big publishers? AAA games simply take far longer to make now. I'm not denying that GTA Online has definitely stunted the speed at which R* put out games but RDR2 showed that they still want to make single player games, given the size of it and vast effort that went into it, and RDR2 would've taken a hell of a lot longer and be far more costly to develop than, for example, the original RDR.
Think back to the regular schedule they had during the PS2 era. That's why people complain about their slow release schedule now. I agree with you that games take more time and effort to make nowadays but ultimately they have milked GTA online rather than make a new GTA. They even scrapped all the single player DLC in favour of online purchases.

Balljy

They even scrapped all the single player DLC in favour of online purchases.
I think that's the real tell of priorities, where the money is and the bit I find most frustrating.

Massive Spanner

Think back to the regular schedule they had during the PS2 era. That's why people complain about their slow release schedule now. I agree with you that games take more time and effort to make nowadays but ultimately they have milked GTA online rather than make a new GTA. They even scrapped all the single player DLC in favour of online purchases.
Apples and oranges. Games take far longer to make now and cost a lot more.

There's going to be a 5+ year gap between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, and CDPR don't have any online stuff like R* do. TLOU2 will be 7 years after the original and 4 years after Naughty Dog's last game. The new God of War was a 5 year gap and Santa Monica Studio used to pump them out every 2 or 3 years. You know what the gap was between GTAV and RDR2? Yep, 5 years!

Like I said, I'm not saying R* are not guilty of neglecting single player aspects because of the success of GTA Online but I don't think they're remotely as bad as people make them out to be. I think the gap in their games is more to do with how long they take to make now (combined with them being much more ambitious now) than GTA Online or whatever.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think that's the real tell of priorities, where the money is and the bit I find most frustrating.
Me too. When the game came out they really sold the idea that you'd be able to start making your own heists but as popularity of the Online mode rose they completely detracted and moved in that direction. I don't blame them as they've obviously profited hugely as it's still ongoing and I do find the Online mode fun but I also wanted to do all of that stuff by myself and have more control over it which they alluded to before. Oh well. I hope they make the new one a mix and remember that there are still some people that do enjoy the offline experience.

b82REZ

Apples and oranges. Games take far longer to make now and cost a lot more.

There's going to be a 5+ year gap between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, and CDPR don't have any online stuff like R* do. TLOU2 will be 7 years after the original and 4 years after Naughty Dog's last game. The new God of War was a 5 year gap and Santa Monica Studio used to pump them out every 2 or 3 years. You know what the gap was between GTAV and RDR2? Yep, 5 years!

Like I said, I'm not saying R* are not guilty of neglecting single player aspects because of the success of GTA Online but I don't think they're remotely as bad as people make them out to be. I think the gap in their games is more to do with how long they take to make now (combined with them being much more ambitious now) than GTA Online or whatever.
I know that, but doesn't change the fact that that's why people constantly complain about the lack of releases on this generation of consoles.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why do Rockstar take so long between games? I realise there's a lot of details that goes into these games, but feck me it takes them ages.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Why do Rockstar take so long between games? I realise there's a lot of details that goes into these games, but feck me it takes them ages.
They're a proper dev company that's why. They could cash in and make a GTA game every other year but then the franchise would lose its spark. Instead they want to push the envelope with each game and try to take it to the next level.

One of the best dev companies in the world imo. Although their attitude to modding is a shame.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They're a proper dev company that's why. They could cash in and make a GTA game every other year but then the franchise would lose its spark. Instead they want to push the envelope with each game and try to take it to the next level.

One of the best dev companies in the world imo. Although their attitude to modding is a shame.
Granted I don't know too much about this stuff - but if you compare it to their output for the PS2 (where their games still pushed the envelope) and it is night and day. Even on the PS3 they put out 5(?) big titles... as it stands for the PS4 generation we've had one.

Sarni

That's right. They also want to make it right not rehash same schemes over and over again like Assassins Creed or Far Cry. I only regret not having any DLCs or alternate locations added to GTA V - that would have been fairly straightforward to make but probably less profitable than online.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Granted I don't know too much about this stuff - but if you compare it to their output for the PS2 (where their games still pushed the envelope) and it is night and day. Even on the PS3 they put out 5(?) big titles... as it stands for the PS4 generation we've had one.
GTA V is the only game apart from Minecraft to have sold over 100m copies. It also generated over $1 billion in 4 years and around 500m last year mostly through transactions in the online mode of the game. It makes sense that they are milking GTA V for everything they have.

It's also probably a reason that they want GTA VI to absolutely bang. The profit they'd make on that if it is an upgrade on GTA V is insane to think of.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Games take far longer to develop now, they're bigger with far more content. Putting aside that argument the art pipeline is far longer than in the PS2 days and it requires far more people to be able to produce the content required.

I mean think about the amount of content in Red Dead 2 for example. The sheer scale of the map, but alongside that they added several different biomes. It's a massive undertaking.

The art pipelines are starting to improve though with the rise of Quixel, but we'll only really see the benefit of that in the next generation.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They've passive-aggressively hinted that it'll be a smaller game because they're not doing crunch.

I don't see how that's a bad thing. The top 2/3's of GTAV's map was pointless desert and mountain ranges. It should be a tight city map.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They've passive-aggressively hinted that it'll be a smaller game because they're not doing crunch.

I don't see how that's a bad thing. The top 2/3's of GTAV's map was pointless desert and mountain ranges. It should be a tight city map.
I disagree, it's nice to have some diversity in the map. GTA 4 and 3 were 100% city and even when there's buildings they're not always utilised.

Massive Spanner

You can't. AAA games are far more expensive, more time consuming, more resource heavy now than in the PS2 era. Plus the fact that consumers also won't settle for short campaigns anymore, or lack of extra content etc. and developers are constantly having to push the boundaries.

I've already given a few examples of other studios who are taking much longer in between games these days too, like I said, it's not just Rockstar.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I suppose the big question is whether or not this comes out before Agent comes exclusively to PS3.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can’t wait for this to come out on the PS5 just before the PS6 is announced.

And be online only.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Fcuking hate it when GTA 6 is trending on Twitter and it's not even an announcement. Who does that just to get peoples hopes up? Pricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.