Granit "The Hacker" Xhaka | Likes his reds

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
They're not comparable in terms of position really but Xhaka does plenty better than Pogba. Xhaka is a defensive DLP where as Pogba is a free role attacking midfielder. Xhaka dictates play from deep better and is defensively much better. Pogba should be a more creative and score more goals. But Xhaka himself has scored 3 including 2 absolutely goal of the season candidates and regularly creates from deep.

But really it's like comparing Carrick and Gerrard, different players

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
He's still settling in. He was very much off the pace in the first half but the second half he came into the game and started to dictate a little more. He hasn't done more than Pogba this season but that is to be expected - one is the most important player/ball carrier in their teams system and the other is a deep midfielder who is slowly bring bedded into the league.

@cesc's_mullet makes a good point about how overrated Shaw is on here. I remember getting laughed at for saying Monreal is better than him last season because over 5 league games (I think 3 of them were actually against teams that got relegated - not completely certain on that, mind) he managed to show the eagle eyed fans on here that he is the next Roberto Carlos.

Herrera is the next one. Dime a dozen midfielder who is being overrated to the high heavens whilst the best player in the United team, Juan Mata, always seems to get little recognition and José never adjusts the system to suit him either!

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Ozil has yet to record an open-play assist and isn't in the top 20 for most chances created this season. Those are normally the type of stats you boys use to praise him to the heavens in the inverse, aye?
It still doesn't suddenly make him a worse player than last season. It's quite clear that Wenger has changed the setup and Ozil is focused more on scoring and assisting than just assisting cause he's further forward during their attacking play than he was last season. Ozil would still walk into ANY Premier League team, including Utd.

TheReligion

Abusive
They're not comparable in terms of position really but Xhaka does plenty better than Pogba. Xhaka is a defensive DLP where as Pogba is a free role attacking midfielder. Xhaka dictates play from deep better and is defensively much better. Pogba should be a more creative and score more goals. But Xhaka himself has scored 3 including 2 absolutely goal of the season candidates and regularly creates from deep.

But really it's like comparing Carrick and Gerrard, different players
He's that good is Granit he hardly plays any games. He's also not very mobile. Wonder why he didn't play against United last week when the Pog ran rings around your lot?

TheReligion

Abusive
He's still settling in. He was very much off the pace in the first half but the second half he came into the game and started to dictate a little more. He hasn't done more than Pogba this season but that is to be expected - one is the most important player/ball carrier in their teams system and the other is a deep midfielder who is slowly bring bedded into the league.

@cesc's_mullet makes a good point about how overrated Shaw is on here. I remember getting laughed at for saying Monreal is better than him last season because over 5 league games (I think 3 of them were actually against teams that got relegated - not completely certain on that, mind) he managed to show the eagle eyed fans on here that he is the next Roberto Carlos.

Herrera is the next one. Dime a dozen midfielder who is being overrated to the high heavens whilst the best player in the United team, Juan Mata, always seems to get little recognition and José never adjusts the system to suit him either!
Funny how this overrated United outfit left you lot chasing your tails last weekend.

Shadow play.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Funny how this overrated United outfit left you lot chasing your tails last weekend.

Shadow play.
Caught us at our worst and came out with a point to show for it. Proved my point, actually.

Given our performance on the day (nothing to do with the false idea that United nullified us) any team with ambition to finish in the top 4 should - and I argue would - have beaten us. Comfortably, too. As bad as the performance we put in reflected on us, Uniteds inability to win the game reflected even worse on you.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Caught us at our worst and came out with a point to show for it. Proved my point, actually.

Given our performance on the day (nothing to do with the false idea that United nullified us) any team with ambition to finish in the top 4 should - and I argue would - have beaten us. Comfortably, too. As bad as the performance we put in reflected on us, Uniteds inability to win the game reflected even worse on you.
United were totally comfortable and Pogba left your team hacking him down as you couldn't get near him. To be honest it was embarassing.

Let's not try and re-write what happened.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Decent performance, especially the 2nd half. I bet he will be on the bench next game though. He really needs a run of games there, needs to play in a deeper role though. His best performances have come when he has been deeper and passing from there.

In September many Arsenal fans (not on here) were proclaiming him better than Pogba, which I found hilarious.
In August some fans were calling Pogba the best midfielder in the world, I found that hilarious....

Ozil has yet to record an open-play assist and isn't in the top 20 for most chances created this season. Those are normally the type of stats you boys use to praise him to the heavens in the inverse, aye?
Well he has scored 7 goals so we can let him off for now....

He's that good is Granit he hardly plays any games. He's also not very mobile. Wonder why he didn't play against United last week when the Pog ran rings around your lot?
Pogba ran rings around us? The expectations of the Man Utd fans are a hell of a lot lower than they once were if you class that as running rings around us....

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
For those interested, here is Xhaka's game against Bournemouth, what I like about him is his speed of picking a pass and those long balls.

So you're judging him on the basis of him not playing? Or better yet on the fact that when he came on we had the possession and equalised? Or even better yet not actually watching the performances where he has started? Agreed that mobility is a bit of a weakness for him, which is why he didn't start imo.

Shadow play.
It was a tactical game on your turf where Wenger aimed to get a point against a bogey/manager and did just that. We looked to sit deep and counter. The 2 most defensive midfielders Elneny/Coquelin, Ramsey on the left wing and the team sat deep instead of pressing high.

You looked to keep possession and transition quick but not commit your DMs/fullbacks forward until about 10 minutes before the goal. It was only when you commited more players forward that you scored. You can talk about possession and chances created all you want but the quality of chances was low until Mata's goal. Then you sat back and invited us to come to you while defending a lead.

Boring game and an uninspiring performance from us but away points against rivals are good points to win. Do you think you'll boss the action or the Emirates or sit back and counter?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Monreal is another player who has been abysmal this season too. Anyone who can run absolutely ruins him.

TheReligion

Abusive
For those interested, here is Xhaka's game against Bournemouth, what I like about him is his speed of picking a pass and those long balls.

So you're judging him on the basis of him not playing? Or better yet on the fact that when he came on we had the possession and equalised? Or even better yet not actually watching the performances where he has started? Agreed that mobility is a bit of a weakness for him, which is why he didn't start imo.

It was a tactical game on your turf where Wenger aimed to get a point against a bogey/manager and did just that. We looked to sit deep and counter. The 2 most defensive midfielders Elneny/Coquelin, Ramsey on the left wing and the team sat deep instead of pressing high.

You looked to keep possession and transition quick but not commit your DMs/fullbacks forward until about 10 minutes before the goal. It was only when you commited more players forward that you scored. You can talk about possession and chances created all you want but the quality of chances was low until Mata's goal. Then you sat back and invited us to come to you while defending a lead.

Boring game and an uninspiring performance from us but away points against rivals are good points to win. Do you think you'll boss the action or the Emirates or sit back and counter?
I genuinely question if you watched the United Arsenal game with those comments.

I think United will create alot more and put in a much better performance at the Emirates than you lot did at OT.

3KDré

He is a quality player. Arsenal will reap the rewards of this purchase sooner or later.

TheReligion

Abusive
He cost 30m by the way.

Wilshere went on loan.

Just let that sink in.

He might come good in the future but thus far he has shown little to justify his price tag.

Couch potato 82

He cost 30m by the way.

Wilshere went on loan.

Just let that sink in.

He might come good in the future but thus far he has shown little to justify his price tag.
You're shockingly blinkered when it comes to football.
Defend United to the hilt and pull the piss out of every other club. Even if you may be right your opinion is pointless because of your religious pro United bias!
By the way you could just as well be describing Mkhitaryan in your post above.
Swap Wilshere for Nani and bob's yer uncle

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I've been disappointed that Xhaka hasn't been more involved but I'm still confident that he will be a big part of the team later this season and going forward. Wenger won't spend that much money on a player without rating him very highly. With Xhaka, I think its important to remember that he is still quite young for a DLP (just turned 24), that he hasn't played before in a club like Arsenal that seeks to dominate games and possession so much, and that his position is one in which tactical savvy, positioning, and experience are very important qualities. Basically, he needs to adapt to how Arsenal play and he also still has a lot to learn about tactics and positional discipline, but there is good reason to be optimistic about him continuing to get better and grow into the side.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Monreal is another player who has been abysmal this season too. Anyone who can run absolutely ruins him.
Abysmal is a bit strong but not having a great season. I think part of that is the left wingers this season haven't really tracked back (Iwobi in particular). But his performances are worrying, think we need to start looking at another LB soon.

He cost 30m by the way.

Wilshere went on loan.

Just let that sink in.

Going by your logic Pogba is another who has little to justify his world record transfer fee. Then there is Mkhitaryan, completely stupid post. Especially highlighted by mentioning Wilshere, a player who is nothing like Xhaka.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I've been disappointed that Xhaka hasn't been more involved but I'm still confident that he will be a big part of the team later this season and going forward. Wenger won't spend that much money on a player without rating him very highly. With Xhaka, I think its important to remember that he is still quite young for a DLP (just turned 24), that he hasn't played before in a club like Arsenal that seeks to dominate games and possession so much, and that his position is one in which tactical savvy, positioning, and experience are very important qualities. Basically, he needs to adapt to how Arsenal play and he also still has a lot to learn about tactics and positional discipline, but there is good reason to be optimistic about him continuing to get better and grow into the side.
He is clearly being eased in rather than thrown in the deep end, which is fine but with Cazorla in we are struggling in that position so need to give him more games.

TheReligion

Abusive
Defend United to the hilt and pull the piss out of every other club. Even if you may be right your opinion is pointless because of your religious pro United bias!
Very true. And thats been done to death about Mkhitaryan. Just see his thread.

You agree with my post yet argue I'm blinkered. I just want equal rights for all.

TheReligion

Abusive
Going by your logic Pogba is another who has little to justify his world record transfer fee. Then there is Mkhitaryan, completely stupid post. Especially highlighted by mentioning Wilshere, a player who is nothing like Xhaka.
He's nothing like in the sense Wilshere is having a better season. I'll have that.

Pogba is performing well enough thank you. Made Arsenal look like amateurs last week as you well know :smirk:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
TheReligion you are not doing yourself any favors, quit while you're behind. Besides aren't there a dozen negative threads on the United forum you need to monitor just incase someone offers a less than enthusiastic opinion? Keep vigilant!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He's nothing like in the sense Wilshere is having a better season. I'll have that.

Pogba is performing well enough thank you. Made Arsenal look like amateurs last week as you well know :smirk:
The most expensive player of all time needs to be doing a whole lot more than playing well in a 1 all draw.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Don't worry fella opposition posters on here don't take him too seriously. I think his fellow fans are starting to learn this too.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Not abysmal but definitely not at the standard he has set over the previous 3 seasons. Early on Iwobi didn't offer him much support, but he's gone from being one of our most consistent performers to the weak link in the back 4.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not abysmal but definitely not at the standard he has set over the previous 3 seasons. Early on Iwobi didn't offer him much support, but he's gone from being one of our most consistent performers to the weak link in the back 4.
I agree with that assessment and consider it a significant problem. Also, it says a lot about Wenger's view of Gibbs that he can't get a run of games given Monreal's form. A new LB is high up the priority list for coming transfer windows.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree with that assessment and consider it a significant problem. Also, it says a lot about Wenger's view of Gibbs that he can't get a run of games given Monreal's form. A new LB is high up the priority list for coming transfer windows.
Ricardo Rodriguez has been flirted at by the media the past few years on/off (lazily, maybe, I'm not sure). Could be a high profile long-term type solution? I'm pretty sure he's good friends with Xhaka too, actually. :D

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Ricardo Rodriguez has been flirted at by the media the past few years on/off (lazily, maybe, I'm not sure). Could be a high profile long-term type solution? I'm pretty sure he's good friends with Xhaka too, actually. :D
I would like Ricky Rodz, but if I'm being honest I haven't watched him at all really and only know him from being a must-sign player on Fifa 16. He and Xhaka are best mates and Rodriguez himself stated he would love to play for Arsenal, so maybe at the end of the season we would see Monreal move back to Spain and Rodriguez signed as a replacement.

Earlier this week I read that David Alaba was keen on Arsenal, though I can't imagine we would ever stump up the kind of cash for him that would be required. He would be the ultimate though.

Fridge chutney

This has become quite a discussion. I'm sure when Xhaka settles in and becomes a staple in the team, he will prove a decent player. I was underwhelmed when i saw him, but he clearly has potential and is still adapting to England. As I've said with other players, he is a long-term buy and should be judged in a few years.

With that said.

He's better than Pogba
:lol: