Granit "The Hacker" Xhaka | Likes his reds

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
United have many players who are yet to be vaccinated, Newcastle the same, and apparently this is a clubwide issue, not sure why Xhaka is getting singled out here??
Because he’s such a brain dead player on the football pitch (e.g. his last game for Arsenal) it’s amusing to discover he is also brain dead away from the pitch.

Varun1

United have many players who are yet to be vaccinated, Newcastle the same, and apparently this is a clubwide issue, not sure why Xhaka is getting singled out here??
Agree with you.
They should all be called out.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'm wondering when players who were involved in the international tournaments would have had time to have it? It's very common for people to feel lethargic for up to a week afterwards and elite sports will be reluctant to have players out for that long. As you say, there must be loads of them.
When they report back for preseason?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm wondering when players who were involved in the international tournaments would have had time to have it? It's very common for people to feel lethargic for up to a week afterwards and elite sports will be reluctant to have players out for that long. As you say, there must be loads of them.
Takes five minutes per jab, literally.

I've had mine, I also didn't miss a day of work, managed to look after my two kids and go to football training three times in the week after having the jabs along with play a full 90 minutes.

It affects everyone differently, but surely the club would rather a potential few days of side effects than 10 days of isolation??

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the one you can't argue against is the amount of down-time players during the season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Players who refuse the vaccinate could start to become a real issue when European competition begins.

I know it's America & the NBA but could they do that for the CL & EL if they wanted to ? They will probably not touch it and leave it to luck but there need to be a treshold.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Imagine if he was the DM instead of Fred or Mctominay. A player with no redeeming qualities. More likely to give away a goal playing deep than Pogba and Bruno combined. More likely to get a red than Fred and Fellaini combined.
Someone who Arteta loves and shipped out 3 other midfielders for.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I seriously dislike that any of our own players don't get vaccinated. I can't even reasonably excuse it because there just isn't a good reason not based in misinformation.

I got my 2nd dose of Moderna today, had Pfizer as no. 1. 7 hours in and I feel fine, just a tiny bit warm on the injection site. Kinda excited for a day off work tomorrow if the normal side effects present themselves

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Ok seeing comments I sense that my post will be controversial, and I have to say as a caveat that i'm 100% pro-vax for normal people.
But regarding pro footballers, it isn't that obvious that vaccination is the right choice for them in terms of benefits Vs risks, if and it's a big if, they are very careful with people they interact with.
They are heavily controlled, so chances are high that they would be treated really early if they get COVID. Very few players have co-morbitity risks.
And on the other hand, if they get vaccinated, they could risk being down for a week or two after the vaccine. They don't have to be in bed, if they perform 20/30% less than usual, it has a huge impact at this stage of the season.
Both choices have their merit for pro-fooballers (getting a vaccine early to minimize slightly risks of infections and minimize a lot risks of symptomatic covid, or not getting a vaccine and risking getting a symptomatic covid) , and it's harsh to call a player dumb because of his choice.
With that being said, I can see Xhaka being just a dumb anti-vax.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
And on the other hand, if they get vaccinated, they could risk being down for a week or two after the vaccine. They don't have to be in bed, if they perform 20/30% less than usual, it has a huge impact at this stage of the season.
I'm pretty sure they have a higher risk of being down for a week or two if they catch the coronavirus.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not to mention the very best ones are travelling across the planet every week. There's no excuse to not get fecking jabbed

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok seeing comments I sense that my post will be controversial, and I have to say as a caveat that i'm 100% pro-vax for normal people.
But regarding pro footballers, it isn't that obvious that vaccination is the right choice for them in terms of benefits Vs risks, if and it's a big if, they are very careful with people they interact with.
They are heavily controlled, so chances are high that they would be treated really early if they get COVID. Very few players have co-morbitity risks.
Both choices have their merit for pro-fooballers (getting a vaccine early to minimize slightly risks of infections and minimize a lot risks of symptomatic covid, or not getting a vaccine and risking getting a symptomatic covid) , and it's harsh to call a player dumb because of his choice.
A day or two seems to be the absolute maximum duration of vaccine side effects. With lots of people getting little or no adverse effects at all.

You don’t need me to tell you how long the effects of covid can last.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not to mention the very best ones are travelling across the planet every week. There's no excuse to not get fecking jabbed
Sharing coaches and airplanes with the others antivax eejits in the squad. If one goes down, they’ll likely take the rest of them down too.

I think the NFL is getting it right and it’s ridiculous a sterner line isn’t being taken in the PL.

Bogga

I know it's America & the NBA but could they do that for the CL & EL if they wanted to ? They will probably not touch it and leave it to luck but there need to be a treshold.
I get the medical exemption, but religious?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
They've all just had 2-3 months off, minimum one except for that freak Richarlison playing the Copa and Olympics.

Plenty of time that.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
A day or two seems to be the absolute maximum duration of vaccine side effects. With lots of people getting little or no adverse effects at all.

You are right, but side effect for normal people and side effects for pro athletes are 2 different things.
Then again, I'm not arguing for or against. Just saying that calling it a dumb choice for pro athletes isn't fair.
And I personally think it shouldn't be up to players, Leagues / UEFA should make a ruling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You are right, but side effect for normal people and side effects for pro athletes are 2 different things.
Then again, I'm not arguing for or against. Just saying that calling it a dumb choice for pro athletes isn't fair.
And I personally think it shouldn't be up to players, Leagues / UEFA should make a ruling.
They could have got vaccinated in the off season if they were worried about the incredibly unlikely possibility that vaccine side effects might last more than a day or two. I get your point but don’t think it’s a reasonable excuse.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Side effects of contracting it for pro athletes could easily remove their athlete status too.

Can't see leagues/UEFA make any rulings so long as getting vaccinated continues to involve signing away liability from Pharma companies. They won't get anywhere near taking it upon themseves as middlemen and can't coerce players into doing so as individuals.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Why in the name of god did they not let him move to Roma!
Because Mbappé missed his penalty, and Switzerland advance to Euro 2020 quarter final, and before that Pogba lost the ball that caused the 3-3, and prolonged the game when there was 3 minutes left.

Last edited:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Because, unless I've missed it, we don't know the names of the others. If we did then they would be called out too.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What would happen if the FA/Premier League made vaccinations mandatory for all staff and players? Would there be a severe backlash? Im perplexed as to why something so essential from a public health perspective could be left to player choice

Champ

Because, unless I've missed it, we don't know the names of the others. If we did then they would be called out too.
Fabien Delph?

Although it's a push to call him a footballer...

Is it also incorrect to presume that Dean Henderson has also not had the vaccine?

But judging by Bruce and Oles comments, the vast majority of their players have not had the vaccine yet.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What would happen if the FA/Premier League made vaccinations mandatory for all staff and players? Would there be a severe backlash? Im perplexed as to why something so essential from a public health perspective could be left to player choice
No backlash whatsoever. The players would moan but comply in the end. If you hit their pockets, they will accept it eventually

Champ

No backlash whatsoever. The players would moan but comply in the end. If you hit their pockets, they will accept it eventually
I'm not sure that would be the case, unless many players have a restraint of trade agreement in their contracts then they probably won't be legally obligated to get the vaccine.
A lot of footballers are apparently not taking the vaccine due to religious reasons, which again brings up a whole new argument.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm not sure that would be the case, unless many players have a restraint of trade agreement in their contracts then they probably won't be legally obligated to get the vaccine.
A lot of footballers are apparently not taking the vaccine due to religious reasons, which again brings up a whole new argument.
I don't know which religion says it's not allowed to take a vaccine (i know for sure there ain't no such thing in Islam).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Legal obligation won’t matter. The teams can just agree that players won’t be picked for matches if they’re not vaccinated (or have a valid medical reason why that’s not possible). Nobody is suggesting they have their contracts terminated.

Champ

Legal obligation won’t matter. The teams can just agree that players won’t be picked for matches if they’re not vaccinated (or have a valid medical reason why that’s not possible). Nobody is suggesting they have their contracts terminated.
Yeah, because that's likely to happen!!
United not picking Bruno, Cavani, etc because they haven't been vaccinated? Ain't gonna happen, hence the reason the club's haven't been the ones to say to get the jab.

It'll come under restraint of trade if the clubs don't pay the players or not allow them to play, unless they have a set medical clause in their contract.

Champ

I don't know which religion says it's not allowed to take a vaccine (i know for sure there ain't no such thing in Islam).
There's many reports that highlights players not taking the vaccine due to religious beliefs,
Why that would be the case I have no idea, but it's been reported multiple times in several publications.