Grant Holt would have scored 30 goals in 2017-18 with the service Ronaldo had at Real Madrid

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Sorry if I sound like a dick but I obviously am one.

Nah, there's a difference in how you play and what you call pull off in a group stages where you can still progress in a group stages and where you're in a two-legged match, just like there's a difference in what a player would try when you're 4-0 up and 1-0 up. Most of the time people would try to somehow trap the ball with the chest, try to bring it down somehow, he's had the audacity to try the bicycle kick, just like Rooney had against City.

People were wanking over the bicycles, and rightfully so imo, of him and Bayol because Madrid were on course of doing something that hasn't been done before, everything then will get magnified due to that reason purely, and imo again, deservedly so. I could never bring myself to wank half as much over Ronaldo as some here but him and Messi undoubtedly deserve to be amongst the best evers, and no Holts or Heskeys could repeat their feats as they wouldn't even be at those teams in the first place and, easily forgotten, it's no coincidence Messi and Ronaldo actually are.
I agree with everything you have written.
Perhaps Ive went down the wind up route too much for my point to be clear :)

Kostur

海尔的老板
I agree with everything you have written.
Perhaps Ive went down the wind up route too much for my point to be clear :)
Happens to all of us, especially given the recent state of this place. Sorry for being rude, I'm a cnut, have a good night.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Ronaldo f*cked OP's wife for sure.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't know Grant Holt but it isn't outlandish to think that most competent strikers starting every game and taking every pen for RM would end up with 30 goals a season. Doing that from the wing is already much more difficult.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I don't know Grant Holt but it isn't outlandish to think that most competent strikers starting every game and taking every pen for RM would end up with 30 goals a season.
It is a bit outlandish as Benzema has only broken the 30 goal mark in one of his 9+ seasons with them. And yes he doesn't take pens regularly for them but he is a more than competent striker.

I think once Ronaldo retires it will be a good 5 or 10 years of not having anybody around even remotely like him before people fully appreciate just how good he is at putting the ball in the back of the net.

Last edited:

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
I don't know Grant Holt but it isn't outlandish to think that most competent strikers starting every game and taking every pen for RM would end up with 30 goals a season. Doing that from the wing is already much more difficult.
I wouldnt really consider Zidane's version of Ronaldo as a winger.

Ronaldo has some of the best movement in world football. And only a handful of strikers are or par with his finishing. Whilst the OP is making a well argued point despite using Grant can't fecking spell for all the world to see Holt, 3-4 players in world football would match his numbers with service he got at Madrid, with Neymar and Mbappe being 2 of those. Although Neymar would have to sacrifice huge parts of his game to match that efficiency.

I dont know how Messi fits into this as he's a different kettle of fish altogether. I think only Neymar at times can do the things Messi does and Also his movement has been non existent since after Pep left?

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wait, so he should have been picking the ball up from kick off and scoring all by himself? You’re right, absolutely ridiculous that he’s scored so many incorrect goals

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I wouldnt really consider Zidane's version of Ronaldo as a winger.

Ronaldo has some of the best movement in world football. And only a handful of strikers are or par with his finishing. Whilst the OP is making a well argued point despite using Grant can't fecking spell for all the world to see Holt, 3-4 players in world football would match his numbers with service he got at Madrid, with Neymar and Mbappe being 2 of those. Although Neymar would have to sacrifice huge parts of his game to match that efficiency.

I dont no how Messi fits into this as he's a different kettle of fish altogether. I think only Neymar at times can do the things Messi does and Also his movement has been non existent since after Pep left?
Cant argue with anything you wrote.

Regarding Messi, yes, he is much different, which is the reason why I used Ronaldo to try and illustrate my point.

I do maintain the stance that Messi's freak stats are aided by Barcelona being the way they are but could not really come up with a case for replacing him (even in a humorous way) with an inferior striker, given that he does so much more than scoring.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is this a joke thread?

Tarrou

there's a real lack of appreciation for how absolutely gash Grant Holt was going on here

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Also you cant talk about Ronaldo and not mention his mentality and willpower to win which is unrivalled in world football. When the going gets tough he's unfazed and I reckon you can pick only a handful of footballers from history with his type of mentality.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't really know why OP gets ridiculed that much. His point is absolutely valid. Of course even a half decent striker would score many, many goals for a team like Madrid. And players like Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Lewandowski or Kane in their primes would probably rival Ronaldo's output to some degree. And of course Messi's and Ronaldo's numbers are inflated since there has never been such a concentration of top players that lead to such a great gap of quality between top teams and runner ups.

However, if you have built such a brillant team you don't want it to serve only a half decent striker. You want it to serve the best you can get and that's the reason why the competition is so incredibly tough for these spots. If Perez had had the impression that someone available would've been better than Ronnie in his position he wouldn't have hesitated for even a second. But Ronaldo was the best and he would have put any other player bar probably Messi on the bench or would have forced them to play in a supportive role. There are more than enough examples. Ronaldo and Messi have played with more than enough super stars and they clearly dwarfed every single one of them: Eto'o, Henry, Suarez, Neymar, Sanchez, Benzema, Bale, Villa, Ibrahimovic, Higuain and so forth. That is the real accomplishment. Of course these players would also have averaged incredible numbers if they would've played the main role at Madrid or Barca. But they weren't good enough to get into the line ups or demand such a central role because there was even better competition.

Yet, I also do think that Ronaldo in his last years at Madrid profited greatly from the reputation he had built up throughout the years since it starts to look like Real Madrid is just as good without him thanks to Benzema and Bale having much more freedom which allows them to recover their goal scoring mojo.

acnumber9

Think of how much money Real Madrid could’ve saved. It’s a shame they aren’t as switched on. What a load of shite.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Don't really know why OP gets ridiculed that much. His point is absolutely valid. Of course even a half decent striker would score many, many goals for a team like Madrid. And players like Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Lewandowski or Kane in their primes would probably rival Ronaldo's output to some degree.
Ignoring the notion that any half decent striker would score "many, many" goals for Madrid, was the service Ibra, Lewandowski for example were given in Bayern and PSG inferior to Ronaldo's at Madrid? Both playing in arguably weaker leagues for amazing teams with hardly any competition in their league!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Jesus the football IQ in this forum is shocking. You cant possibly be that dumb can you? Grant fecking holt and Ronaldo in the same sentence.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This thread is about the unprecedented numbers Ronaldo and Messi have been posting.

Had Messi left Barca this summer this thread could have been named "David Nugent would have scored xx goals for Barcelona..."
Have you watched us at all in the last 2 seasons?

Messi carries our attack, not the other way around.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Have you watched us at all in the last 2 seasons?

Messi carries our attack, not the other way around.
This comment was more regarding the pre-Luis Enrique era.

You are right, Messi's role has changed dramatically over the years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Kevin Davies would have won the quarduple if He played for Barcelona in 2011–12.

SpyLuke10

I get saying Ronaldo is not as good as he used to be. I agree. He hasn't been at the level he used to be at since 2016. Arguably 2015.

But Messi, ffs man. He's still the best in the world now. Have you watched him play for Barca? Also his stats are pretty hard to argue with, in terms of not just goals, but assists, chance creation, dribbles, most attacking metrics. He also won the league spanish cup double with barca last season, pretty much carrying them. They had a nearly undefeated season.

Varun

Staff
Words can't properly express my feeling towards this thread.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
You're quite clearly either wumming or utterly deluded. Or both. Who knows which is true? Interesting stuff.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I thought you miss a 0 and should have wrote 300 goals

Beagle

He would've scored less if the team was not built to provide for him. But you're underestimating his goal scoring ability. I don't believe any forward can compare to him in that regard.

And goals aside, if he did continue as a traditional winger most full backs would shit themselves due to his speed, quickness with the ball, ability on both feet and his crossing which is underrated. Just that his finishing ability is of such a high level it would be a waste for any team to not have their attack built around him.

Schneckerl

Ignoring the notion that any half decent striker would score "many, many" goals for Madrid, was the service Ibra, Lewandowski for example were given in Bayern and PSG inferior to Ronaldo's at Madrid? Both playing in arguably weaker leagues for amazing teams with hardly any competition in their league!
Zlatan actually has a 50 goals in 51 games season.

Ekeke

I think the opposite. Anderson Abreu could have had a bunch of assists, won la liga and the champions league just by passing the ball to Ronaldo's feet.

Smores

WUM/attention seeking thread. Guy hasn't posted for a year and decides to make his return creating this? Fool

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Both Holt and Ronaldo have the same number of goals for Juventus.

I'm not saying Holt = Ronaldo, we will have to wait until they've both finished their careers before we can realistically call that one.