Grass is always greener

Pass and Move

Aside from Liverpool and Man City, which squad would you most wish United to have from the current Premier League teams? Secondly, aside from Klopp and Pep, which manager would you want in charge of them?

I would personally take our current squad, with Lampard or Potter in charge. I've chosen those managers with the caveat that they'll be afforded the same timescale to build a winning team that our board are claiming they'll give to Ole.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Call me crazy but seeing as this is hypothetic then I would like to see what Wenger could get out of this squad and how much the play would change in a voyeuristic type of way. I think there is enough in defence for him to apply his ideals to the rest of the pitch and see what happens.

Last edited:

Pass and Move

You'd take Frank Lampard over Poch?
Yep. I'm really not a fan of Poch. Feel like we've seen the best he can offer already. Lampard hasn't achieved anything of note yet, but I think he's got great potential.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yep. I'm really not a fan of Poch. Feel like we've seen the best he can offer already. Lampard hasn't achieved anything of note yet, but I think he's got great potential.
That's more or less saying Lampard is the new Poch then. Poch had the potential but didn't fulfil it whereas Lampard still has the possibility to?

Lebowski

Call me crazy but seeing as this is hypothetic then I would like to see what Wenger could get out of this squad and how much the play would change in a voyeuristic type of way. I think there is enough in defence for him to apply his ideals to the rest of the pitch and see what happens.
Just curious, did you use the term voyeuristic on purpose because it's Wenger?

If so, well played sir.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just curious, did you use the term voyeuristic on purpose because it's Wenger?

If so, well played sir.
I added it yes for that mischievous reason but the point is genuine, I would be curious to see what the style of play would look like.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
You are saying United squad is better Chelsea's?

AshRK

Lampard is getting massively overrated in this forum. He is doing a fine job but I wouldn't have him managing us.

SATA

Lampard? :lol:

I bet there were also some Chelsea fans who wanted Ole to be their manager during our ten or eleven game winning run before he got permanently appointed

Deglobalise Football

Supports
Harlepool United
I would take Chelsea's squad (not because it's better now, but it's got major scope for the players there to improve).

Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Eddie Howe as manager. Logically speaking, Sean Dyche may be better than them all, but until he shows me a more expansive style of football, I can't go with him. Poch may need a sabbatical, but he's a superb manager.

GBBQ

In fairness to Poch, the Spurs board failing to invest in the team in a crucial season (18/19) when key players were looking elsewhere is more likely the contributing factor to Spurs form this season than Poch running out of ideas. Rose, Alderweireld and Eriksen were all very vocal about wanting to leave over the last year and a half and yet were all starters on Sunday because the Spurs board chose stadium investment over playing staff refresh. This move might make Spurs more profitable in the long run but its absolutely screwed Poch's legacy. But a run of top 4 finsihes and a champions league final on a much smaller budget than most of the other big teams is hugely impressive and I wouldn't be against him having a fresh start here if we get rid of Ole.

As for Lampard, I think he is definitely one to watch. He did well at Derby and is exceeding expectations at Chelsea so far. Lets see if he is still held in the same esteem in 2 or 3 seasons time of course. But the flip side is, if he's a success at Chelsea I can't see him leaving.

devlinadl

If you're looking beyond the immediate season, Chelsea's squad with Poch in charge. City and Liverpool are still better, mind.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
The English press fell love with Poch and built him up to be the second coming but in truth he really hasn't accomplished that much.

Maybe with unlimited funds he could be a major force but i don't put him in the elite managers club just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Aside from Liverpool and Man City, which squad would you most wish United to have from the current Premier League teams? Secondly, aside from Klopp and Pep, which manager would you want in charge of them?

I would personally take our current squad, with Lampard or Potter in charge. I've chosen those managers with the caveat that they'll be afforded the same timescale to build a winning team that our board are claiming they'll give to Ole.
So what would make you want either of those two managers in charge instead of OGS???

Pass and Move

So what would make you want either of those two managers in charge instead of OGS???
I think there’s good reason why Ole being the right man for the job or not causes so much debate amongst United fans. We can all pretty much agree that the board are terrible, but none of us can really know if our on-pitch fall from grace the last few seasons has been down to the managers, or the squad, or a combination of the two.

I like Ole, and think he’s done a lot of good since joining us, however I still have many question marks over his coaching ability, and some of his tactical choices. The issue is, none of us know what is going on in training. Are the players simply not good enough? Are his methods at fault? We can’t know for sure. I suspect the players could do better with the right manager, although the squad also needs significant investment.
To answer your question, I like what I see from Frank’s time so far at Chelsea,
and like what I’ve seen of GP under some very trying circumstances. I think they have potential do do very well with the right backing, and suspect they are simply better coaches then Ole. To be honest though, even though I think we’ve the third best squad in the league when fit in terms of ability, I think the attitude and attributes of a few of the players will be an issue for whoever comes in.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think there’s good reason why Ole being the right man for the job or not causes so much debate amongst United fans. We can all pretty much agree that the board are terrible, but none of us can really know if our on-pitch fall from grace the last few seasons has been down to the managers, or the squad, or a combination of the two.

I like Ole, and think he’s done a lot of good since joining us, however I still have many question marks over his coaching ability, and some of his tactical choices. The issue is, none of us know what is going on in training. Are the players simply not good enough? Are his methods at fault? We can’t know for sure. I suspect the players could do better with the right manager, although the squad also needs significant investment.
To answer your question, I like what I see from Frank’s time so far at Chelsea,
and like what I’ve seen of GP under some very trying circumstances. I think they have potential do do very well with the right backing, and suspect they are simply better coaches then Ole. To be honest though, even though I think we’ve the third best squad in the league when fit in terms of ability, I think the attitude and attributes of a few of the players will be an issue for whoever comes in.
Many of our players aren't good enough to be first team players, however Ole is the first manager to really start addressing that and bring in the right type of players. Moving on from that would only hault the good work he has done so far. This is his first full season in charge. I am more than willing to give him a lot more time than what he has had so far...