Grealish & Kane in Pogba & Martial out

dal

That's a hugely optimistic assessment of the finances. Realistically, Kane and Grealish would cost somewhere between 200 and 250 million, while Pogba and Martial, if you can move them, would not bring in more than 100 combined.
I think the delta is more like £30-50 million with lingard in the mix as I don’t agree with your values however regardless we need to be in a position similar to this or buy Sancho and grealish and put Cavani and Greenwood upfront.

Lux Thunder

We all know that feeling when some players are just made for Old Trafford and Grealish is that kind of player, absolutely love him and would have him here.

Agree that this kind of singings like Sancho, Kane and Grealish can elevate us to a higher level but with other issues in the squad and financial aspects it's unrealistic to expect more than one of them. Bring Sancho first and then monitor situations about Kane and Grealish considering our situations with Pogba, Martial and Cavani, who is great but not getting any younger. There are posts about not buying Kane because of Haaland, makes sense somehow but there is no guarantee at all that we will not miss on him too as competition for him will be much bigger than for Kane. Also, would love to see our club at least remain interested in Kane as long as possible, just to not let City have a free run for him. I have a strange feeling that Kane will stay with Levy outpricing him and that he will issue a public apology to Spurs fans after the window is closed. :lol:

All in all, I'll never say no to any of the three of them. If we somehow manage to sign two of them it will be a dream come true.

Abraxas

It is pretty logical that Ole may fancy Sancho over Grealish.

The former has a natural position in the squad without much competition. It is therefore an immediate and large improvement to an area of the first team.

Whereas Grealish we would have to do some thinking regarding Rashford, the positions Bruno and Grealish are taking up and how to manage these players. Of course it's nice to have an abundance of quality and competition for roles but it's also pretty good to have an idea of your best team, and one thing we know about Ole is he likes to play his best players constantly so I think he'd like to bed down more options for that right wing role with the knowledge we can put Greenwood anywhere given his two footed ability. It's trickier with Rashford and Martial as they only perform off the left if we are being honest.

Also, Sancho has pace and ability in behind which matches what we're trying to do with getting the ball forward quickly. Grealish is another one that wants the ball to feet and is going to be largely coming towards the ball. Not necessarily a problem but you have to consider what the manager is trying to do to understand what he's probably looking for.

MadMike

I like Grealish and would have him here, but I think we're run into some of the same problems we did with Pogba. Villa play 4-3-2-1 and he's a playmaking AM, operating through the middle or the left (AMC/AML). He is not an #8. He plays with McGinn and Nakamba behind him.

The problem with an AMC or LW/AML is that those two positions are occupied by our 2 most consistently productive players, Bruno and Rashford. Do we not need more depth you might say, especially if Pogba leaves? How do City fit so many AMs in their squad?

Well, yes. I'll reiterate that I would have him here, finances permitting, because he's a good player. But depth is not our top priority, we need an #8 that is better than McTominay and VdB to play next to our DM. We need a #6 to replace Matic and to compete with Fred. We need a reliable CB partner for Maguire because we still concede too much from set pieces and 3 out of our 5 CBs are always injured. If these positions can be sorted I'm all for adding Grealish.

Same applies for Kane. We have Cavani and Greenwod upfront. Kane is better than those, but is it where we need improvement the most as a team. Arguably no.

Zed 101

With Madrid, Barca and Juve all out of the running financially (in theory although we know just how dodgy Real's finances are) who is going to buy Pogba, PSG? maybe otherwise we have him here next season.... even as a Pogba critic, I am happy enough with that if he continues to put the ffort in that we saw over the last few months.... it is the lazy sulky guy I cannot stand....

Would happily see Martial out, and would like to see Grealish in but cannot see us getting Grealish, I can see Martial out IF we sign another striker.... even Ronaldo for a 1-2 year which I know is being discussed here

croadyman

I am not even going to contemplate the thought of City getting both players but if they have to get one which do you people think is less damaging for us

hubbuh

It is, isn't it. With how he's been buying into things lately and the talent he has, it seems wrong to let him go. Also, with the market being what it is, we're almost certainly not going to find a taker who'd put much more than 50m on the table. In the worst case, we'd fail to renew and then not find a taker at all. But on the other hand he's not really a great fit playing on the left, where Rashford should be playing.
I'm quite certain Pogba and Raiola will be happy to keep conversations to a minimum (unless we offer a whopping contract they can't refuse) and leave for a free next year, ensuring they bank themselves a huge signing on bonus and massive contract to whichever club they want out of Madrid, PSG, Barca, and Juventus. Pogba is too valuable an asset to allow to leave for free so I'd rather we didn't let Raiola have his way. The problem is as you said, £50m might be the absolute best we can hope for and that doesn't buy you much these days. We'd need guaranteed creativity from whoever replaced him (although getting Sancho would ease that burden).
It's a tough one for sure. If we could move him for a good price, I would do that if we could get Grealish in. I really like Pogba, but in the long run I think that would be the best move.
I'd do the same. Pogba and Raiola hold most of the cards so we're a bit cornered. Be great if we could sign Grealish for £75m and sell Pogba for £50m!

croadyman

It is pretty logical that Ole may fancy Sancho over Grealish.

The former has a natural position in the squad without much competition. It is therefore an immediate and large improvement to an area of the first team.

Whereas Grealish we would have to do some thinking regarding Rashford, the positions Bruno and Grealish are taking up and how to manage these players. Of course it's nice to have an abundance of quality and competition for roles but it's also pretty good to have an idea of your best team, and one thing we know about Ole is he likes to play his best players constantly so I think he'd like to bed down more options for that right wing role with the knowledge we can put Greenwood anywhere given his two footed ability. It's trickier with Rashford and Martial as they only perform off the left if we are being honest.

Also, Sancho has pace and ability in behind which matches what we're trying to do with getting the ball forward quickly. Grealish is another one that wants the ball to feet and is going to be largely coming towards the ball. Not necessarily a problem but you have to consider what the manager is trying to do to understand what he's probably looking for.
Yeah I think that could indeed be one of the main reasons that Ole prefers Jadon to Jack, things might be different IF Pogba left as Grealish could provide that second creative spark in there in place of Paul but looks very much to me like he is staying for now and leaving on a free next summer

yamo123x

Many forget Rashford's performances this season have been very below par and his attitude has to be questioned...not signing Grealish because we have Rashford is a poor get out.

Rashford for me is better as a centre forward, not a winger or a self imposed standing playmaker

justsomebloke

Many forget Rashford's performances this season have been very below par and his attitude has to be questioned...not signing Grealish because we have Rashford is a poor get out.

Rashford for me is better as a centre forward, not a winger or a self imposed standing playmaker
He finished 7th in the PL in goals+assists. If that's "very below par", I can't wait until he's on par....

To my mind he also is much better on the left than as a centre forward.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

There's feck all wrong with his attitude

11 Goals and 9 Assists is also not a bad return

Abraxas

He's not a centre forward, never has been and probably never will be. His numbers have largely been derived from his play on the left and we look a poor side with him up front as he's simply not suited to it.

Of course having Rashford is a concern. If we paid no attention to our squad composition then how are we supposed to direct funds to the most needed areas? Every club and manager takes stock of where the weakest areas are and what the profile of players is by position, both in terms of age and quality. It might be different with ludicrous supplies of cash but we are not in that position.

justsomebloke

Nah, £90m + Martial for Kane.
Grealish for £65m
No way you're getting Grealish for 65m, nor anything near it. They were asking for 100m a year ago, and now they have Europe in their sights for next season as well as an affluent and committed ownership, with a clear intention to strengthen the team further. It's questionable if you can get him at all, and if you do, it's three digits.

Pickle85

No way you're getting Grealish for 65m, nor anything near it. They were asking for 100m a year ago, and now they have Europe in their sights for next season as well as an affluent and committed ownership, with a clear intention to strengthen the team further. It's questionable if you can get him at all, and if you do, it's three digits.
I'd take him for £999 to be fair...

But seriously, no chance is Grealish going for 100 mill plus in the current climate. Absolutely not.

croadyman

Yeah can only see less than three digits if it involved a player going the other way

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Then move onto other targets and he can waste his career at Villa.

Acquire Me

I'm quite certain Pogba and Raiola will be happy to keep conversations to a minimum (unless we offer a whopping contract they can't refuse) and leave for a free next year, ensuring they bank themselves a huge signing on bonus and massive contract to whichever club they want out of Madrid, PSG, Barca, and Juventus. Pogba is too valuable an asset to allow to leave for free so I'd rather we didn't let Raiola have his way. The problem is as you said, £50m might be the absolute best we can hope for and that doesn't buy you much these days. We'd need guaranteed creativity from whoever replaced him (although getting Sancho would ease that burden).

I'd do the same. Pogba and Raiola hold most of the cards so we're a bit cornered. Be great if we could sign Grealish for £75m and sell Pogba for £50m!
That would be top business from us. Let’s hope it happens.

The Purley King

Pogba still hasn't signed this new deal and we still have so many clambering for him to stay. His heart hasn't been in this club for 2 years now.

Sell him and Martial (as well as a few others) and go get Jack and Jadon.
This is the best way forward.
Martial £40m, Pogba £60-70m + Lingard £25m
Sancho £75m, Grealish £80m

Best case scenario we may only need £20m to make that work.
Spurs might fancy Martial if Kane leaves (they've been interested in him before) and Moyes is drooling over Lingard, so we just have to offload Pogba somewhere.

EDIT - didn't realise Pogba only has a year left on his contract - can amend his sale price down to £50m

justsomebloke

This is the best way forward.
Martial £40m, Pogba £60-70m + Lingard £25m
Sancho £75m, Grealish £80m

Best case scenario we may only need £20m to make that work.
Spurs might fancy Martial if Kane leaves (they've been interested in him before) and Moyes is drooling over Lingard, so we just have to offload Pogba somewhere.
How are we going to accomodate both Grealish and Sancho? That's Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood, Grealish and Sancho for three roster spots. That's too many starters, in my view.

Not sure the forward line should be a priority over CM and CD at all, and certainly not for TWO players.

Also, I'd consider your estimates for Pogba, Grealish and Sancho to all be optimistic.

Abraxas

Lingard £25m
Jones £15m
James £25m
Martial £45m

£90m
On what planet are we attaining these values?

Lingard - maybe. Maybe a bit less.

Jones - pretty much worthless on the market, who are we going to find that is silly enough to buy this problem..

James - maybe. On a good day. I'm not sure he's really added to his value but let's just go with this one for now.

Martial - how? He's just had his worst season, and he's on massive money. What club is going to pickup the tab on those wages and outlay 40 million pounds. Consider the overall cost implications of that signing for the buyer and Martial's half arsed performances.

Lemon Moon

There's feck all wrong with his attitude

11 Goals and 9 Assists is also not a bad return
Yes his attitude is brilliant in terms of his approach and outlook. First class lad.

This isn't a criticism, more of an observation but I'd love him to tweak his attitude towards being more hungry for goals. He's a scorer of great goals but not (at this moment in time) a great goal-scorer. He can change that by changing his attitude. In my opinion.

Kaos

I'd have Sancho over Grealish as the former occupies a position we've failed to fill for years and is younger. I would however not be opposed to hypothetically acquiring Grealish at the expense of Pogba moving on.

crossy1686

career ending

One goal shy of his total last season (with a game left to play), with more assists this season while carrying an injury and playing out wide, but yeah, he's shit or whatever, attitude stinks. If here cared more about putting the ball in the back of the net and less about starving kids we'd have won the league right?

lex talionis

I'd have Sancho over Grealish as the former occupies a position we've failed to fill for years and is younger. I would however not be opposed to hypothetically acquiring Grealish at the expense of Pogba moving on.
This.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
On what planet are we attaining these values?

Lingard - maybe. Maybe a bit less.

Jones - pretty much worthless on the market, who are we going to find that is silly enough to buy this problem..

James - maybe. On a good day. I'm not sure he's really added to his value but let's just go with this one for now.

Martial - how? He's just had his worst season, and he's on massive money. What club is going to pickup the tab on those wages and outlay 40 million pounds. Consider the overall cost implications of that signing for the buyer and Martial's half arsed performances.
Look at the value of other players and get back to me how these numbers are unrealistic.

northernfan

The problem is that, United can't figure out their most affective line up. Pogba and Rashford are most effective on the left, Grealish doesn't solve that issue. You just replace Pogba for Grealish. Sancho is an upgrade over Greenwood, as of now. However, Greenwood seems to have more creativity in his game. I dont think a front 3 of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho and Fernandes for creativity, is the best line up. United need to address the centre forward and midfield positions. Haaland and Rice to replace Martial and Fred/Matic. Move Pogba, Martial and either Fred/Matic.

Haaland
Rashford Fernandes Greenwood
McTominay Rice

croadyman

Yeah I think there could well have been some truth when Whitwell was reporting that Utd signing Grealish last summer very much hinged on Villa going down but also Pogba leaving as well and neither happened

432JuanMata

Grealish, Sancho, Kane and Rice every player we are linked with is English and if we got two of them our first 11 would be mostly a English 11 this got me looking at England’s squad for the Euros, if they don’t do damage in that then Southgate should be shot there is some serious talent right now

432JuanMata

Yeah I think there could well have been some truth when Whitwell was reporting that Utd signing Grealish last summer very much hinged on Villa going down but also Pogba leaving as well and neither happened
Yeah it really depended on Pogba. I rate Grealish higher than Sancho but one is desperately needed as our RW has been non existent for 7 years and one is not needed at all.