Grealish or Sancho - Hindsight 20-20

Giggsy13

Putting this out there. Based on their first seasons it screams out to me that both players chose the wrong clubs. Grealish doesn’t seem to fit into the tactics and structure under Pep. Grealish is very much a maverick. Sancho also seems to be having problems fitting into our squad, he’s a player who likes to slow things down, which doesn’t seem to accord with some of our attacking play. If a straight swap was offered to you now would you take it?

BerryBerryShrew

Sancho will ultimately be excellent for us. Grealish will ultimately be excellent for that lot. Simple.

Giggsy13

Sancho will ultimately be excellent for us. Grealish will ultimately be excellent for that lot. Simple.
Im not certain Grealish will pan out at city. They seem to be a bad fit imo. I think Grealish would’ve been better suited at Liverpool or United. He needs to be given some leash to make an impact. I don’t think you get much of that under pep.

NotQuiteManc

No, I won't. Sancho is younger, hence potentially he still has some more years for growth and development as a player. Plus, he is new to the league. In comparison to Grealish, despite being the more adapted player to the league, and older, he still couldn't perform as expected and that is before the transfer fee comes into the discussion.

arnie_ni

Putting this out there. Based on their first seasons it screams out to me that both players chose the wrong clubs. Grealish doesn’t seem to fit into the tactics and structure under Pep. Grealish is very much a maverick. Sancho also seems to be having problems fitting into our squad, he’s a player who likes to slow things down, which doesn’t seem to accord with some of our attacking play. If a straight swap was offered to you now would you take it?
While I agree I think grealish would be better suited for us and sancho for City, I think with the age gap I wouldn't do that swap and I'm a massive grealish fan.

Sancho will come good for us.

James Peril

Good post and I agree completely - as easy as this. Playing for City is extremely difficult, which one of their attackers have really come in and delivered from day 1? All of them have struggled at one point, Grealish will come good - and he has veen very good in many games. Sancho isn’t as good as we hoped, he is very far away right now, but let’s talk in ten years and check the status.

If you write off a player after 15 games and when the team is leading the table, well, then you have an agenda. Grealish would become an instant fan favorite at Old Trafford by the way, like five minutes in, as he does something none of our players can in terms of carrying the ball forward.

Lecland07

Grealish will end up fine for City. It is just people will zero in on every error he does for City because of his transfer fee. I don't feel he looks particularly out of place for them. He has the technical level. He just needs to get more involved.

Sancho; I'm not judging him - Manutd have been terrible and it will be hard for most players to integrate into this mess.

Giggsy13

I’ll say this, if Ole pushed for Grealish during the summer of 2020 instead of settling for VDB, it might have given him more time at United. I was happy with VDB at the time thinking he would be used with Bruno to add creativity to our midfield but we were all wrong and no one expected Ole to ignore VDB the way he did.

Obviously Sancho is a great talent and he will pan out and be a success but I’m not sure our squad at the moment caters to his talent. I saw someone mention and compare Sancho to Mata. I think that’s a bang on comparison. Hopefully we don’t waste Sancho like I feel we did with Mata.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rangnick's 4222 with Grealish at LAM? :yawn:

Grealish at City just feels wrong. Going from players like David Villa LW at Barcelona to Sterling at City and now Grealish- he just doesn't have the goalscoring or shooting ability but I can hardly blame him because he was never that. It feels like players like de bryune, bernando Silva, foden maybe even Gundogan play in his better positions than this LW version.

Compare sterling, mahrez, even sane and grealish - grealish is different to me with different strengths and weaknesses.

TsuWave

Sancho will be fine. He's 21 years old thrusted into a struggling team with no real philosophy/direction.

some months of bad form doesn't erase 3 years of being one of the most productive attacking players in europe

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't get this idea that Grealish has been poor for City. They are looking like walking the league and he's fitted in with their possession game easily. He's just not getting the eye catching goals or assists that's all.

Sancho meanwhile has been really poor.

Giggsy13

Rangnick's 4222 with Grealish at LAM? :yawn:

Grealish at City just feels wrong. Going from players like David Villa LW at Barcelona to Sterling at City and now Grealish- he just doesn't have the goalscoring or shooting ability but I can hardly blame him because he was never that. It feels like players like de bryune, bernando Silva, foden maybe even Gundogan play in his better positions than this LW version.

Compare sterling, mahrez, even sane and grealish - grealish is different to me.
100%, which is why I put this out there. Grealish doesn’t seem like a city player to me. I do feel like United or Liverpool would have been a better fit for him. Conversely Sancho’s skillset fits perfectly into the city model and pep’s tactics.

I wonder what city fans think, where are you annoying bastards at!?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sancho was and is the better player.

Giggsy13

Sancho will be fine. He's 21 years old thrusted into a struggling team with no real philosophy/direction.

some months of bad form doesn't erase 3 years of being one of the most productive attacking players in europe
A few things are failing Sancho at the moment. A piss poor midfield and a disconnect at the moment with the fullbacks he’s lined up with. I’ve seen some progress with him Dalot and an understanding between the two. Just need to see way more of it now.

Bebestation

People are so sure of Sancho coming good when they are threads about which player exactly has come good AFTER moving to United :rolleyes:

Bebestation

The de bryune goal was the type of thing Grealish did at Aston Villa.

When you look at the position de bryune was in and where Grealish was in just before De Bryjne scored the goal - it shows what's so different about Grealish at City vs at Aston Villa.

Pickle85

I'd take none tbh. Money wasted by both clubs for me
It's looking this way at the moment, isn't it? I'm firmly in the 'give Sancho more time' camp but I admit it's more in hope than expectation at this point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Too early to say either way.

I mean I have no doubt that if you put Grealish in our squad at the start of the season then he would have been shite and labelled a disapointment, because almost every other member of the squad has been shite and a disappointment. So it's hard to tell what the upside from swapping them would be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Graelish has been good for City so far, it's just the price and expectations make it seem as if he's not

Do agree both clubs got the wrong guy though

AndySmith1990

It makes no difference. When will people understand that adding a single player to our broken team won't change our fortunes? Grealish would be rubbish here just as Sancho has been. We need wholesale changes, not just to our team but the way the club operates, and only once we have a functional team will we see improvements from upgrading individual players.

Bobski

Grealish wouldn't be great at Utd either, or any club really where he is not allowed to monopolize the ball and play at his own pace. Foden, Silva, Mahrez and Sterling are all better than him.

Sancho, well there is talent there but it is fairly clear that the Bundesliga is easy for attackers. It is not just Utd, has looked a level off the top at international level as well, too early to write him off though.

lloyd2wayne

The de bryune goal was the type of thing Grealish did at Aston Villa.

When you look at the position de bryune was in and where Grealish was in just before De Bryjne scored the goal - it shows what's so different about Grealish at City vs at Aston Villa.
What? How many goals did Grealish score? He barely scored. You are making it sound like he did score those type of goals on a regular. I have never seen so much excuses and hype for a 26 year old who has spent most of his career in the championship and had literally done NOTHING, I mean ZILCH in his career.

Sancho the 21 year old is the better player in every single thing it’s not even close maybe unless fouls against. Sancho has actually proven himself in a top league can’t say that about Grealish.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Grealish is decent enough in that city team. Not worth the fee but city won't care.

Sancho has been awful but has years ahead of him to come good.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Sancho the 21 year old is the better player in every single thing it’s not even close maybe unless fouls against. Sancho has actually proven himself in a top league can’t say that about Grealish.
Wat

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Both have been utter shite but thankfully Sancho is still relatively young so he can improve ( or worst case scenario has a better reselling value compared to grealish)

Bebestation

What? How many goals did Grealish score? He barely scored. You are making it sound like he did score those type of goals on a regular. I have never seen so much excuses and hype for a 26 year old who has spent most of his career in the championship and had literally done NOTHING, I mean ZILCH in his career.

I didn't say he scored a lot of goals. But Grealish plays at a certain angle - its the angle that de bryune scored his goal at.

Grealish's goals always tended to come at that angle.

Now Grealish is pretty much holding the touchline which is a complete different position to the position he was excelling at.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I mentioned this in another thread but I'll say it here again. Greilish has 1 more goal than sancho this season. But what is overlooked is that greilish came into an established side with a world class manager. Sancho joined a shit show circus of a side who are on their 3rd manager of the season.

PoTMS

I'd take Grealish if offered a straight swap. He's the better player and although he has time on his hands, I just don't see it with Sancho.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I wanted Ziyech, and then Chelsea got him....3 different disappointments in 3 different teams!