Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Outstanding footballer. I think he'd walk into any first 11 in the world. People using his age and the fact he plays for Villa, as a stick to beat him with have obviously never really watched him.
Incredible how overrated he is on here. Christ alive.

Teja

Any City fans have theories on how he's going to be used? Seems like a couple of different options:
  1. Straight up displaces Sterling / Mahrez from the team.
  2. In B. Silva's place, so they'll start with a midfield 3 of KdB + Grealish + Rodri
  3. Remove Jesus and play him as false 9?
#1 It's incrementally better but I don't think I'm too worried about this case. Sterling and Mahrez are really good players.
#2 Midfield is slow AF and Jesus will still stink up the team a bit
#3 is Pep doing Pep things. Might actually work.

Relfy

He’s a fantastic player and I’d welcome him at united with open arms based on his ability, however for the rumoured price of £100m I’d want more output in terms of goals and assists. Stats on chances created, through balls or for some unknown reason the number of fouls won (has this stat ever been peddled for any other player?) are all fine, but for that money you need someone to come in and win games of football by scoring and creating goals consistently. I’m sure in a better team his numbers would go up, but I don’t see him hitting KDB / Bruno numbers which for that outlay is what you need to justify the price tag.

SATA

We can try to take Bernardo off their hands. Brilliant little player. Not sure if Grealish will be great at City, he's a great player but he has to share the ball with De Bruyne who basically gets it all the time and dictates. Grealish won't have the luxury to hold and hog the ball like he has at Villa

Pep's Suit

Bernardo was great for that 18 month period but overall he's a fine 7/10 player. However, HE wants to leave and join a club where he'll be their no.1 AM.

thundercats

Huge missed opportunity if he goes to our main rivals. Sets us back considerably. City don't even need him.

Zen86

Grealish isn’t going to take City to another level. He’s a very good player but they don’t need him. His game won’t be particularly effective within a Pep system and amongst other similar players.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I think people are confusing "most talented" with "best". The things he can do with the ball, I can't think of too many English players after Rooney who can do them.

With regards to the whole saga though, it's so draining. Just hope it gets done either way soon. City don't even need him, but are willing to break transfer records to get it done if you're to believe the papers. I know good teams have many good players, but having De Bruyne, Mahrez, Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Ferran Torres and Grealish just seems like stockpiling at this point. Over half a billion will have been spent on them too. That's just 6 players!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not surprised if City do push ahead with this one, can't get Kane so here you go Pep he's your consolation prize

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Who called Drogba and Van Dijk generational talents? He's a good player can be a great one but unless generational talent has lost its meaning, he isn't one. He's about to be 26 and hasn't even played a minute of European football. He has spent his career playing for a team battling either relegation or midtable.
He has a lot to prove. The way some talk about him, one would think he's one of the best players this country has ever produced.
If Rooney sets the bar then I'd say Drogba reached a similar level.

OrcaFat

He’s a fantastic player and I’d welcome him at united with open arms based on his ability, however for the rumoured price of £100m I’d want more output in terms of goals and assists. Stats on chances created, through balls or for some unknown reason the number of fouls won (has this stat ever been peddled for any other player?) are all fine, but for that money you need someone to come in and win games of football by scoring and creating goals consistently. I’m sure in a better team his numbers would go up, but I don’t see him hitting KDB / Bruno numbers which for that outlay is what you need to justify the price tag.
I don’t know what the right price is. But in my opinion he would hit Bruno, KDB numbers in a better team than Villa.

Offsideagain

They don't really need him either, as they shown last season. Would be a better use of funds however I agree - although in City's case the funds never seem to dry up, probably get both.
City are waiting for the outcome of the PL case for abusing FFP. This time there is no legal loophole to use to get away with it, again. If it was for FFP, City would be buying all the good players and the rest of the league, with the possible exception of Chelsea, would be way behind. Unfettered, City could spend £500 m per season on players transfers and salaries. That would kill the game. As it is, they are just a vanity project for Abu Dhabi and the property developers.

snk123

Because some people actually watch footballers play football rather than comparing their numbers only. Just watch him once and study what he does with the ball. 9/10 the correct decision. Drawing defenders to the ball and then releasing the fullback at the perfect time. Creating space when there is none. Driving with the ball and never giving it away. Winning crucial fouls time and time again.

snk123

He's not more talented than Sancho even. They're 5 years apart and Sancho has still done far more in his career and outperformed him in every single season they've played. Relax. Grealish is an excellent player but he's far from being the most talented player England's produced.
Let's come back to this after the season ends. (God forbid he goes to city - he's going to be unplayable with the amount of ball and space they have)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Best player in the league and would start for any team in the world. What a nightmare that City have landed him when we could've but opted for Donny instead.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Let's come back to this after the season ends. (God forbid he goes to city - he's going to be unplayable with the amount of ball and space they have)
Talent doesn't depend on form or the season you have. For example, I'd say Messi is a more talented footballer than Ronaldo, by some distance even. But not much really separates them as "players" if that makes sense, especially if you were to look at just numbers. A lot more goes into being a good player than just talent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Best player in the league and would start for any team in the world. What a nightmare that City have landed him when we could've but opted for Donny instead.
But can't get a start for his country.
There's too much hyperbole in this thread at the moment. I watch him every other week and can't wrap my head round some of the comments here. He's a good potentially great player but at least, lets see how he performs at the highest level before throwing some of the comments I am seeing around.

RedDevilRoshi

I'm not surprised if City do push ahead with this one, can't get Kane so here you go Pep he's your consolation prize

If it was a choice between would I rather see them sign Grealish or see them sign Kane, it would be Grealish ever single day of the week.

They don’t even need him whereas Kane would be the perfect replacement for Aguero and guarantees them 25-30 goals

Castia

Where the hell have you got that from? he spent a huge portion of last season out injured and didn't play much at the Euro's the hyperbole around Grealish is absolutely crazy. He's spent the majority of his career in the fecking Championship.

Good player, brilliant on his day but he's nowhere near what you're claiming 'best player in the league'

Bruno had more goals/assists/chances created in 12 months at United than Grealish has had in his entire PL career for context

Great at winning free kicks though!

MUFC OK

Not sure I’d go that far, he’s a maverick player which is why people like him. However I don’t think he’s the second coming of Ronaldinho like some appear to believe.

MUFC OK

Where the hell have you got that from? he spent a huge portion of last season out injured and didn't play much at the Euro's the hyperbole around Grealish is absolutely crazy. He's spent the majority of his career in the fecking Championship.
*unavailable, not injured.

Hoof the ball

He's superb. Keep in mind that he he does what he does in a Villa shirt. Some people never factor that into their arguments. Players have completely different level playing fields. It's not as if he's surrounded by insane talent when he plays the way he does! Pulling Villa into that kind of position until he picked up the injury was nothing short of magnificent.

How will he look when he's not the man in the team at City? Well, he'll be surrounded by players who will better anticipate his carries, passes, dribbles, through-balls; who will more often put away his key passes and in turn provide him with the ball in better positions.

He'll look even better under Pep because Pep is a great coach and is probably the best at taking a top player and maximising their potential.

cyberman

Because some people actually watch footballers play football rather than comparing their numbers only. Just watch him once and study what he does with the ball. 9/10 the correct decision. Drawing defenders to the ball and then releasing the fullback at the perfect time. Creating space when there is none. Driving with the ball and never giving it away. Winning crucial fouls time and time again.
Winning fouls isnt a fecking attribute. It means he's holding onto the ball for too long.
Opposition plays to tactically foul you, holding on to the ball long enough for that to happen is a fault in todays football.
It reeks of a player you like topping a random stat and using it as a positive for no reason.
Pogba holds on to the ball for too long amd he has to keep it simple. Jack does it and its winning crucial fouls.
If Jack moves I guarentee you he will not top the most fouled charts because it will be coached out of him or he won't play.

snk123

But can't get a start for his country.
Wtf even is this argument? At least make some sense when trying to counter supposed "hyperbole". Wasn't it evident how influential he was whenever he came on? Also FYI Bruno can't get a start for Portugal.

snk123

Winning fouls isnt a fecking attribute. It means he's holding onto the ball for too long.
Opposition plays to tactically foul you, holding on to the ball long enough for that to happen is a fault in todays football.
It reeks of a player you like topping a random stat and using it as a positive for no reason.
Pogba holds onyo the ball for too long amd he has to keep it simple. Jack does it and its winning crucial fouls.
No. :lol: Have you ever seen him play? He wins fouls because he draws the defender until the last mili-second. Ronaldo used to do that. It has nothing to do with holding on to the ball too long.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not sure I’d go that far, he’s a maverick player which is why people like him. However I don’t think he’s the second coming of Ronaldinho like some appear to believe.
That’s exactly why I think he’s being overrated. ‘Walk into every team in world football’ as if.

Very good player who plays in a middle tier team that lets absolutely everything run through him. Long way to go to prove he’s anywhere near world class.

snk123

Talent doesn't depend on form or the season you have. For example, I'd say Messi is a more talented footballer than Ronaldo, by some distance even. But not much really separates them as "players" if that makes sense, especially if you were to look at just numbers. A lot more goes into being a good player than just talent.
Yes I agree. And a lot more goes into being a good player than just numbers. Lukaku used to get numbers for us but he was a dreadful footballer for us. Grealish is getting both numbers and showing his abilities on the ball at a small club like Aston Villa. He might flop at City but at the moment it seems like City are getting a far better gamble and he's going to be a massive difference next season.

Idxomer

It's literally one poster with others just making fun of the comparison.

MUFC OK

That’s exactly why I think he’s being overrated. ‘Walk into every team in world football’ as if.

Very good player who plays in a middle tier team that lets absolutely everything run through him. Long way to go to prove he’s anywhere near world class.
I think he could be world class already, but hard to say for definite until he’s at a top club. I’d personally love him here if pogba goes.

cyberman

No. :lol: Have you ever seen him play? He wins fouls because he draws the defender until the last mili-second. Ronaldo used to do that. It has nothing to do with holding on to the ball too long.
You arent the only one to watch him pay.
Drawing the defender in to the last millisecond is literally holding on to it for too long!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's superb. Keep in mind that he he does what he does in a Villa shirt. Some people never factor that into their arguments. Players have completely different level playing fields. It's not as if he's surrounded by insane talent when he plays the way he does! Pulling Villa into that kind of position until he picked up the injury was nothing short of magnificent.

How will he look when he's not the man in the team at City? Well, he'll be surrounded by players who will better anticipate his carries, passes, dribbles, through-balls; who will more often put away his key passes and in turn provide him with the ball in better positions.

He'll look even better under Pep because Pep is a great coach and is probably the best at taking a top player and maximising their potential.
But a big part of what he does is because he does it in aVilla shirt. You mention how certain traits will look better playing with better players — true. Concurrently, said players won’t indulge the negative traits in his game he gets away with at Villa.

Pep doesn’t maximise the potential of every player he signs. There’s plenty of previous for that.
——
Grealish is a good player. Pushing very good status. But you’d think he’s the first ever midtable player to play above his station with some of the praise in this thread!

snk123

You arent the only one to watch him pay.
Drawing the defender in to the last millisecond is literally holding on to it for too long!
No!
He's not holding on to the ball too long. He's holding on until the defender engages with him and then he either dribbles past or releases some one else. Literally every top player is a master at this including Messi.

Hoof the ball

Concurrently, said players won’t indulge the negative traits in his game.
But then, statistically speaking, despite his indulgences he has one of the best retention and offensive percentages in the league in both attempts successful and key, so, where Grealish is concerned there's really not much that can be deemed negative or in need or being curbed for the sake of Pep's system.

But you’d think he’s the first ever midtable player to play above his station with some of the praise in this thread!
That is true, however, I'd go so far as to say that he's the first mid-table player (in a long while) that had a real shot at winning Premier League Player of the Year award. Who else can we say, in recent history, that was even in the running? But for his injury, it was almost certain with the way he was playing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wtf even is this argument? At least make some sense when trying to counter supposed "hyperbole". Wasn't it evident how influential he was whenever he came on? Also FYI Bruno can't get a start for Portugal.
How can a player you say will definitely "walk into any 11 in the world" not be a starter for his country?
I am not saying he shouldn't start for England(he probably should), I am only showing how ridiculous some of the comments here are.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But then, statistically speaking, despite his indulgences he has one of the best retention and offensive percentages in the league in both attempts successful and key, so, where Grealish is concerned there's really not much that can be deemed negative or in need or being curbed for the sake of Pep's system.

That is true, however, I'd go so far as to say that he's the first mid-table player (in a long while) that had a real shot at winning Premier League Player of the Year award. Who else can we say, in recent history, that was even in the running? But for his injury, it was almost certain with the way he was playing.
Riyad Mahrez. In fact, I think he actually did win it. He is now potentially being kicked to the curb for Jacky boy.

I’d go a step further and say Mahrez at Leicester > Grealish at Villa.

snk123

How can a player you say will definitely "walk into any 11 in the world" not be a starter for his country?
I am not saying he shouldn't start for England(he probably should), I am only showing how ridiculous some of the comments here are.
Yes this thread is two extremes. But I guess the frustration is because he's going to a bloated squad at City when he'll walk into our side (especially since Pogba is leaving)

Status
Not open for further replies.