Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

acolyte

He’ll prove to be the best player in Europe at City.

Wanted to sign him years ago when he was in The Championship. His talent has always been obvious and he’s excelled despite mediocrity around him.

Genuinely devastated over this. People still have no idea how good he is outside of Villa fans.
I've never seen someone's reputation rise as quickly as this guy. Last summer he was "good for a guy who was recently in the championship" but nobody was desperate to get him. He went from that to A Great Player to The Best Player In The League to Literally Ronaldinho in ~12 months. And now he's going to be the best player in Europe soon. Why stop at just Europe? He'll be the best player on this plane of reality!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not part of the Villa away kit launch either. Fair to say he's off.

Oh well, another good winger to battle with their other good wingers. At what point is having 5/6 good options really making them stronger?

Having depth is great but you can only play 11 at once.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Wanted to sign him years ago when he was in The Championship. His talent has always been obvious and he’s excelled despite mediocrity around him.

Genuinely devastated over this. People still have no idea how good he is outside of Villa fans.
Calm down, no he won't be. He's basically Isco. Quality, yes, but Sancho is a better player, 5 years younger, has shown more in his career along with proving to actually be a generational talent quantitatively, and equally capable of playing on either flank. Grealish doesn't work with Rashford and Bruno, so right away it was a non starter for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've never seen someone's reputation rise as quickly as this guy. Last summer he was "good for a guy who was recently in the championship" but nobody was desperate to get him. He went from that to A Great Player to The Best Player In The League to Literally Ronaldinho in ~12 months. And now he's going to be the best player in Europe soon. Why stop at just Europe? He'll be the best player on this plane of reality!
Not sure what's more annoying, the overrating or few thinking only they know how good he is.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you don't rate Grealish then you're a mug. Let's have it right. That said he's not a 100m player. Not by a long shot. He's no European pedigree and is untested at the absolute highest level bar some cameos for England in the summer.

Do I think he's capable? Yes I do. But the fee is beyond stupid when you're logical about it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think he'll do really well under Pep. Can they afford Kane as well or is that a stupid question?

KetilOwren88

A potentially great player and character, but 100 mill is way too much. I would say that’s 30-40 mill too much as players from the PL and specially the English ones are way overprized still after the covid breakdown. Sancho is clearly the more sensible deal, though we don’t know how anything turns out yet. City are getting a very good player, but it smells a bit like desperation in my book. Maybe our signings are stressing them a bit.

saivet

I think he'll do really well under Pep. Can they afford Kane as well or is that a stupid question?
If they sell a big name I think they'll get Kane as well. Agree that he will probably do very well but if City only get one of Kane or Grealish, I'd rather it be Grealish.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If he goes to City, he will win PFA player of the year. Mark this post.

Playing at City might encourage that coward Southgate to start him. So, that would be a plus.

TheReligion

Abusive
A potentially great player and character, but 100 mill is way too much. I would say that’s 30-40 mill too much as players from the PL and specially the English ones are way overprized still after the covid breakdown. Sancho is clearly the more sensible deal, though we don’t know how anything turns out yet. City are getting a very good player, but it smells a bit like desperation in my book. Maybe our signings are stressing them a bit.
I'd agree with you. If you use Sancho as a benchmark, and consider he's younger and has plenty of European pedigree already, you'd have to say top end fee for Grealish is £70-80m. Absolute top.

Really he should be more in the Mahrez bracket £60-65m.

hobbers

If they sell a big name I think they'll get Kane as well. Agree that he will probably do very well but if City only get one of Kane or Grealish, I'd rather it be Grealish.
Yeah, Grealish is a great signing but he's not a big upgrade on Sterling, Bernardo or Mahrez. He's probably a better player than all 3 but in Villa's system, not necessarily translatable to Pep's teams.

Kane would obviously be an almost incalculable upgrade since they dont even have a real striker to begin with.

Grealish at Villa is a less productive version of Mahrez at Leicester, but on the opposite wing, and obviously with a lot more hype because he's English.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
I'm not sure if he will. I don't think Guardiola will trust him in a 3 with De Bruyne, and eventually he'll just prefer someone more direct on the wings once it starts to make their football stale.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

a bit over the top that :lol:

He's a decent player but he's a big fish in a small pond. Villa suits him perfectly as they give him the ball at any opportunity and ask him to do something magical.

At City he won't even be there best player, let alone the best in Europe.

TsuWave

Damn he deleted the tweets people unearthed today of him supporting United

saw it about 30 minutes ago when people started retweeting went back to his page and they were gone :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho and Varane are both much better signings for United than Grealish would've been, and they're better signings for us than Grealish is for City. Even if you are of the opinion that Grealish is as good or even better than Sancho (not one I share, but anyway), Sancho addresses a position of need for us. So does Varane. Both players who for the past few years have been among the best in Europe in their position, and who compliment our needs perfectly. Grealish became irrelevant for our needs once we signed Bruno, that's the reality. For City, they were hardly crying out for a #10 or left winger who creates but isn't a goalscorer who gets in behind. Same with if they get Kane. They're both quality but they have nobody who gets in behind with them in their attack. It'd be much different if they got a Haaland in IMO. But Kane loves having someone run o
in behind past him, De Bruyne loves having a good runner in behind, Grealish loves that, all of them love getting on the ball deep... very reliant on whatever forward the right winger would be. Someone like Salah would go crazy with that, but they don't have that.

acolyte

Playing at City might encourage that coward Southgate to start him. So, that would be a plus.
There needs to be a Jack Grealish Bets thread. I'd be interested to see if he even matches his per 90 stats from last season.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

Oh well, another good winger to battle with their other good wingers. At what point is having 5/6 good options really making them stronger?

Their squad depth is one of the key reasons they do so well every season.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

Ben White was in Brighton's kit launch. Not to mention Delph and Benteke just a couple of weeks before they both left us. They mean nothing.

Alemar

He won’t. What is more, he wouldn’t actually add anything to City - they already have Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo and Foden. Add Grealish, but only 2 of them will be starting anyway. Quite stupid to spend 100m on a player who is not even a guaranteed starter

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He’s my top pick for the summer so I really hope this goes through. I do think he’ll play a slightly different role for City than Villa though but I think he’ll be excellent. Gündoğan turns 31 in a couple of months so I would expect to see Grealish & KDB in the middle given the option so Foden can continue to run at players with freedom. It does still leave us with a big gap up top.

Foden - Jesus - Mahrez
—— Grealish — KDB ——
————— Rodri —————

Sterling, Torres, Fernandinho, Gündoğan all rotated in. I think B.Silva will leave if you believe the rumours. Obviously if Kane lands then the team above improves significantly. Let’s see.

lex talionis

I'm convinced that Grealish is the right player for City. His game is built around him holding onto the ball, not the kind of 1-2 touch passing that we've seen under Pep.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think they need Kane more. Aguero is gone and Jesus isn't the goal scorer they need him to be. Kane would bring 30 goals a season and probably guarantee another title.
Remember FFP? Me, neither.
Completely dead as a concept.
I'm not sure if he will. I don't think Guardiola will trust him in a 3 with De Bruyne, and eventually he'll just prefer someone more direct on the wings once it starts to make their football stale.
Yeah true. It'll be interesting to see how Guardiola uses Grealish. That's why Kane would probably be a better signing for them.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I'm convinced that Grealish is the right player for City. His game is built around him holding onto the ball, not the kind of 1-2 touch passing that we've seen under Pep.
Iniesta did great under Guardiola, and while not a ball hog per se he certainly wasn't a one touch passer.

roseguy64

I saw the Kane rumors and I don't think they can afford him, even if they're a state backed club. If Grealish goes for 100mil, Levy will not let Kane go without 150-180, not a single chance.

But, at a second thought, if they get 40 mil for Silva and 60-70 for Sterling, that's Grealish on a free and a quarter of Kane. Silva will be easy to move as he can play anywhere, but Sterling is very hard to get rid of, especially sending him outside of the UK.
Who do you think has the money to pay those fees that SIlva and Sterling would want to play for?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Who do you think has the money to pay those fees that SIlva and Sterling would want to play for?
Do they even need someone to pay? With the recent leaks, I wouldn't be surprised if some way is found to doctor the books of other clubs as well for those transfer fees. It's not like City needs any transfer fee

Idxomer

Did people see how well he linked up with Shaw in the few minutes they got together?

He'll have no problem fitting with the other technical players at City, his holding of the ball isn't the hindrance people think it is or he won't be up there with the best playmakers in Europe. His stats really speak for themselves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did you miss a critical "not" in that first sentence?
Or change mind mid post?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Did people see how well he linked up with Shaw in the few minutes they got together?

He'll have no problem fitting with the other technical players at City, his holding of the ball isn't the hindrance people think it is or he won't be up there with the best playmakers in Europe. His stats really speak for themselves.

Isn't it more to do with how Pep would want him to play? He doesn't like his players to hold the ball for long.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

The funny implication here is that if he didn't hold onto the ball so much, he'd be the best playmaker in the world?

Apart from his playmaking stats, his carrying stats, especially into the final third are unreal. With City's forward players he'd be even more productive.

Giggsy13

£100 million :lol: :lol:

Where are the blue nosed pricks now who pat themselves on the back for never breaking the English transfer record!?

Status
Not open for further replies.