Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Red

Sancho doesn’t have a higher ceiling, he doesn’t remotely control the game as smoothly as Grealish does. He is very, very rare in that regard. Sancho has scored a lot of points in a weaker league where he plays a lot of messy back-lines, that will not happen in England. Not saying he won’t master it, but certainly not with the same output.. impossible. He simply gets too many of his points from situations that do not happen in the Premier League.
Might being the keyword in my post. Sancho is only 21 and who knows how good he'll be in the future. But knowing only what we know, Jack looks like the sure bet. Personally, I would love to have both in our squad. I'd take them over pretty much anyone else all things considered.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Ole decides to not buy vital gap players to our squad like a CB and a CDM to try and get Grealish on the last minute-

would you as a fan still want Ole fired if he doesn’t win the premier league next year?
As if Ole is the reason we don't get these players ffs.

By all accounts he was begging for us to sign Grealish last summer and the board wouldn't budge.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Might being the keyword in my post. Sancho is only 21 and who knows how good he'll be in the future. But knowing only what we know, Jack looks like the sure bet.
My fear with Sancho is he's going to look amazing when there's a counter attack or he's in acres of space and he's going to struggle badly when there isn't just like our other wide options do.

Grealish on the other hand I believe can cope with either and he will be a huge success if he ends up at City.

Highfather_24

People saying "Would exchange him for Pogba" sound silly, like saying "Will exchange Fred for Mahrez".

Pogba plays most of his games at CM for us, in a midfield 2. We lacked players on the wing(James and Martial injured) and Rashford was going through injury problems, so we tried Pogba on the LW. But Grealish is primarily a LW or a #10. That's where Rashford is our main starter. When we end up buying Sancho, Pogba will be back at CM(Rashford, Sancho, Grenwood, Amad and James as options on the wing).

If we sell Pogba, we need to buy a CM, because we will only have Fred/McT/Matic as CM options. Grealish cant play there. If we end up buying Grealish he will bench Rashford, nothing to do with Pogba. If we are targeting Grealish, his direct competion would be Rashford and Bruno, not Pogba.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As if Ole is the reason we don't get these players ffs.

By all accounts he was begging for us to sign Grealish last summer and the board wouldn't budge.
Say that he spends the rest of the transfer budget on Grealish leaving the must haves out - would you ask for his firing though if there was no progress?

I ask because this is how I currently feel under Ole - I feel like I like the players he wants in our club & if that continues then a Premier League to me can take another season break.

devilo

If we sell Pogba, we need to buy a CM, because we will only have Fred/McT/Matic as CM options. Grealish cant play there. If we end up buying Grealish he will bench Rashford, nothing to do with Pogba. If we are targeting Grealish, his direct competion would be Rashford and Bruno, not Pogba.
We need a new CM either way, as Pogba's a liability playing in that deeper role.

If Pogba goes, then Grealish should be the replacement. We don't have anybody else like him in the squad with his ability to carry the ball and retain possession. Rashford needs resting/rotating at times, as does Bruno, and Grealish is capable of covering both positions.

Reactions: Sultan

Highfather_24

We need a new CM either way, as Pogba's a liability playing in that deeper role.

If Pogba goes, then Grealish should be the replacement. We don't have anybody else like him in the squad with his ability to carry the ball and retain possession. Rashford needs resting/rotating at times, as does Bruno, and Grealish is capable of covering both positions.
Yes we need a new CM as Pogba's replacement agreed. But that CM is not Grealish.

Grealish would be competition for Rashford, Bruno(which we need)...not a direct Pogba replacement. Do they have similar attributes? Sure. But they dont play the same position. If Grealish can play as a CM in a midfield 2, only then he can be considered a Pogba replacement...which he cant. Even if we buy Grealish, we would still need to replace Pogba.

Someone like Camavinga would be a Pogba replacement. Grealish would probably replace Mata/Dan James. You cannot say "Lets buy Eden Hazard to replace Paul Scholes".

devilo

Yes we need a new CM as Pogba's replacement agreed. But that CM is not Grealish.

Grealish would be competition for Rashford, Bruno(which we need)...not a direct Pogba replacement. Do they have similar attributes? Sure. But they dont play the same position. If Grealish can play as a CM in a midfield 2, only then he can be considered a Pogba replacement...which he cant. Even if we buy Grealish, we would still need to replace Pogba.

Someone like Camavinga would be a Pogba replacement. Grealish would probably replace Mata/Dan James. You cannot say "Lets buy Eden Hazard to replace Paul Scholes".
Agreed, Grealish is not the deep lying CM we need, but neither was Pogba. Pogba plays his better football in more attacking areas and on the left, same as Grealish.

If Pogba goes, then Grealish would be an ideal replacement for him. We would still need that deeper sitting midfielder though who can shield the back four and pass through the lines. I'm talking about a replacement for Matic.

Highfather_24

Agreed, Grealish is not the deep lying CM we need, but neither was Pogba. Pogba plays his better football in more attacking areas and on the left, same as Grealish.
Where Pogba plays his best football is irrelevant when we dont play him there. Pogba has played 90% of his Utd career in a midfield 2.He has played most of the last two seasons as a CM. Is Grealish a CM? No. Therefore Grealish is not a Pogba replacement.

Its really not that complicated.

devilo

Where Pogba plays his best football is irrelevant when we dont play him there. Pogba has played 90% of his Utd career in a midfield 2.He has played most of the last two seasons as a CM. Is Grealish a CM? No. Therefore Grealish is not a Pogba replacement.

Its really not that complicated.
No it really isn't complicated at all, but thanks for your patronisation all the same.

Mctominay and Fred were preferred to Pogba in a CM two more often than not last season. Tells you, me and everyone else all we need to know about Pogba in that position. Everything we're seeing at the minute points to us wanting a new number 6, irrespective of what happens with regard to Pogba.

It's possible that our hunt for a new (more capable) number 6 could be with the intention of pairing him with Pogba in our usual 4-2-3-1, freeing Pogba to focus on the more attacking nature of his game. It could also be that we're looking to change our formation (perhaps to a 4-3-3). In this case, Pogba is most likely played on the left of a midfield three, in which case Grealish is a perfectly valid replacement.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

daveskimufc

Oh my god get Grealish to UTD.

What a player he is.
Opposition swarm him so creates so much space

jesperjaap

People saying "Would exchange him for Pogba" sound silly, like saying "Will exchange Fred for Mahrez".

Pogba plays most of his games at CM for us, in a midfield 2. We lacked players on the wing(James and Martial injured) and Rashford was going through injury problems, so we tried Pogba on the LW. But Grealish is primarily a LW or a #10. That's where Rashford is our main starter. When we end up buying Sancho, Pogba will be back at CM(Rashford, Sancho, Grenwood, Amad and James as options on the wing).

And that is part of the problem, he can be a liability defensively playing there, he has hardly been a roaring success over 5years for us considering the fee. Whenever seen him for France or Juventus he has played wider even when in midfield.

Neither Pogba or VDB are ideal options for the two central midfield spots, both are better options for the left of number 10 role, Grealish replaces both and for me is also better than our current starters in both positions. He also replaces the likes of Lingard and Pereira.

We should have signed him last year and sold Pogba and not signed VDB, we would be so far further on progression wise than we are now as we still have those same problems...well more as we have VDB who hasnt worked....I would still love us to sign him, I dont see how though as he is in effect the luxury signing we cant afford when we have potentially 4 or 5 positions need upgrading more importantly this summer.

I would rather we sign two DM than Grealish wether or not we sell Pogba and VDB. Only way we sign Grealish is instead of SAncho which is unlikely of course or if we sell ALL the players in one window we should actually sell, wich again isnt happening. Right player at the wrong time....and thats our fault for not doign so last year

jesperjaap

We are never getting him so let’s move on from that
This sadly is the truth. Absolutely no way we sign Grealish and Sancho....in fact that would be bad business as that would be our budget gone with no defender or cm signed...and we are obviously afer Sancho

OrcaFat

If Pogba leaves this summer then suddenly a possibility could open up.
Yeah if Pogba goes we need to get Grealish. Personally I’d try to get him anyway but I realise we won’t. I absolutely think Ole and the club would want Grealish but can see how it can’t be justified whilst we have Pogba (not that they are the same or anything but they are similar enough in terms of selection options for creative midfield).

marktan

Yeah if Pogba goes we need to get Grealish. Personally I’d try to get him anyway but I realise we won’t. I absolutely think Ole and the club would want Grealish but can see how it can’t be justified whilst we have Pogba (not that they are the same or anything but they are similar enough in terms of selection options for creative midfield).
Sell Pogba to PSG for £70m (they need an attacking midfielder like him and he'd basically play the same role as he does for France), sign Grealish for £120m, play Grealish and Sancho on the wings :drool:

League title sorted easy. None of this fannying about signing Van De Beek and some 16 year old Italian for £80m total

croadyman

Yeah only way it happens is if Pogba leaves but then City look very much in a mood to take him and Kane

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sell Pogba to PSG for £70m (they need an attacking midfielder like him and he'd basically play the same role as he does for France), sign Grealish for £120m, play Grealish and Sancho on the wings :drool:

League title sorted easy. None of this fannying about signing Van De Beek and some 16 year old Italian for £80m total

120m will get Grealish, but we'd probably only get about £30m for Pogba with a year left.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Reckon a swap deal with Pogba might get this done.

Bubz27

Neither Pogba nor Villa would ever agree to that.
Pogba looks like he probably want out of United so I reckon he would leave. Villa wouldn't want to get rid of Grealish but sometimes clubs have to accept these deals, like us with Ronaldo.

Bubz27

Oh you were serious :lol:. Pogba to Villa. Bless.
No, I'm obviously talking about swapping Pogba with Grealish in our squad silly. Wherever would you get the idea Im talking about Pogba going to Villa? The way some people's minds work, honestly.

The Firestarter

No, I'm obviously talking about swapping Pogba with Grealish in our squad silly. Wherever would you get the idea Im talking about Pogba going to Villa? The way some people's minds work, honestly.
Then express yourself in clearer terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.