Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is she his actual girlfriend or something? I thought she was just a fangirl.

Pep's Suit

Doubt it. Can imagine £70-80m incl add-ons unless someone like Yangel Herrera becomes part of that transfer and is valued at £30m or so.

Highfather_24

If we sign Grealish, and sell no one(hypothetically), it will be Rashford losing his place, not Pogba. As Grealish cannot play CM in a midfield 2, and that's where Pogba plays most of the time for us. Oh and saying that's not his best position doesnt matter, because despite that being true, that's where he plays for us, and that's the position we would need to strengthen if he leaves .

--------------Cavani
Grealish--Bruno--Sancho
-----------McT--Pogba

So a better idea is, sell Pogba, buy Camavinga. And buy Grealish too, because Rashford is inconsistent. But we dont have that much money. So the priority remains CB and CM. Grealish would just be a luxury buy, with or without Pogba.

We should have got him last season over VdB. He's top 5 player in the PL.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If we sign Grealish, and sell no one(hypothetically), it will be Rashford losing his place, not Pogba. As Grealish cannot play CM in a midfield 2, and that's where Pogba plays most of the time for us. Oh and saying that's not his best position doesnt matter, because despite that being true, that's where he plays for us, and that's the position we would need to strengthen if he leaves .

--------------Cavani
Grealish--Bruno--Sancho
-----------McT--Pogba

So a better idea is, sell Pogba, buy Camavinga. And buy Grealish too, because Rashford is inconsistent. But we dont have that much money. So the priority remains CB and CM. Grealish would just be a luxury buy, with or without Pogba.

We should have got him last season over VdB. He's top 5 player in the PL.
Why cm?
Why not lcm in a 3? Let him run from deep like Rui Costa? I think that’s where he would be best not left wing like currently

SuperiorXI

Criminally underused in the Euros, felt sorry for him throughout. Every time he came on he was clearly above the rest in terms of creative output. Boggles the mind how you can go through a tournament and have your best player on the bench. :houllier:

Wing Attack Plan R

We will be without Rashford until October due to his shoulder surgery. Are we to rely on Martial? I think the basic problem with our team (aside from some players not being at the required skill level) is that we are forcing players to adapt to a system they aren't comfortable with. We've known Pogba excels left side of a midfield 3 since his Juventus days, yet we don't play that way. We bought VDB for God knows what reason. We stick Greenwood (and before him, Mata) on as a right wing. If we're not going to deploy Pogba in his best role we should sell him immediately and figure out what the hell system we're trying to imitate. Grealish would be great for United, just not this current United side with McFred and Pogba and a bunch of spare parts.

bosskeano

We will be without Rashford until October due to his shoulder surgery. Are we to rely on Martial? I think the basic problem with our team (aside from some players not being at the required skill level) is that we are forcing players to adapt to a system they aren't comfortable with. We've known Pogba excels left side of a midfield 3 since his Juventus days, yet we don't play that way. We bought VDB for God knows what reason. We stick Greenwood (and before him, Mata) on as a right wing. If we're not going to deploy Pogba in his best role we should sell him immediately and figure out what the hell system we're trying to imitate. Grealish would be great for United, just not this current United side with McFred and Pogba and a bunch of spare parts.
ahhh...but you probably sell Pogba in order to purchase Grealish which makes all the world of difference as you can deploy him centrally or out wide thus not having to accommodate Pogba. Grealish will actually defend and i think against certain teams you could play them next to each other.

lex talionis

Criminally underused in the Euros, felt sorry for him throughout. Every time he came on he was clearly above the rest in terms of creative output. Boggles the mind how you can go through a tournament and have your best player on the bench. :houllier:
You might be referring to Sancho, but this is true of Grealish as well. Southgate needs to reflect on how far he got this talented squad, but how he botched it at the moment of truth.

acolyte

Why cm?
Why not lcm in a 3? Let him run from deep like Rui Costa? I think that’s where he would be best not left wing like currently
Where does this leave Bruno? He has to play as an attacking mid, he's wasted as a deeper lying midfielder (as he was in the Portuguese NT). We have to play a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Bruno, and that only leaves the left side of the 3 for someone like Grealish. Talk of him in a midfield two is pure wishful thinking, he has to be playing in more advanced positions. I think Highfather is right--Grealish would displace Rashford, not Pogba.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Where does this leave Bruno? He has to play as an attacking mid, he's wasted as a deeper lying midfielder (as he was in the Portuguese NT). We have to play a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Bruno, and that only leaves the left side of the 3 for someone like Grealish. Talk of him in a midfield two is pure wishful thinking, he has to be playing in more advanced positions. I think Highfather is right--Grealish would displace Rashford, not Pogba.
I’m not talking about a 2. Not in the sense you’re thinking anyway. I’m talking of him getting the ball and running at people from deep like Rui Costa. Bruno is still advanced and a DM behind. I see that as JGs natural progression.

anyway we’re not buying him so moot conversation

Devil81

Wasn't alone though was he, Sancho must have been watching the game thinking why aren't I being allowed to influence this result. No disrespect to Saka, he was good in his few games but he was never the threat Sancho could have been.

Same with Grealish, you could see when he came on in games he needed more minutes to get into it.

SuperiorXI

Wasn't alone though was he, Sancho must have been watching the game thinking why aren't I being allowed to influence this result. No disrespect to Saka, he was good in his few games but he was never the threat Sancho could have been.

Same with Grealish, you could see when he came on in games he needed more minutes to get into it.
No of course he wasn't, you have to wonder what might have been with a more positive setup, to have Sancho/Grealish/Rashford/Foden playing regularly... those have a scary amount of quality.

thundercats

I will hate to see him play for anyone but Utd. He is my favorite player, even over Bruno… If we don’t get him he’d better stay at Villa.

Highfather_24

I’m not talking about a 2. Not in the sense you’re thinking anyway. I’m talking of him getting the ball and running at people from deep like Rui Costa. Bruno is still advanced and a DM behind. I see that as JGs natural progression.
That's still a midfield two. With Grealish making runs from the deep.

DM--Grealish
-----Bruno

However, buying Grealish for over 80M and then sticking him in centre midfield is exactly the kind of the bs we should not be doing. He's best attribute is his dribbling and the amount of fouls he gets. That's best utilised in the final third. Playing him deep is wasting his ability. Also, if Pogba struggles in a midfield 2, Grealish would as well, maybe even more. In his PL debut in 19/20 season he was playing deep against Tottenham and gave the ball away and they scored. He was moved up the pitch soon. This would be a very unbalanced midfield.

Lets not even go into the fact that we dont have one proper DM in our squad, let alone two for rotation/rest. So many games Grealish would have to play alongside a McT/Fred. Damn, that would be a disaster.

lenny_1248

Regarding Grealish, there is confidence that a deal can be wrapped up swiftly, although his ties to Villa cannot be underestimated.
According to a growing number of people within the game and sources close to the most powerful decision-makers at City, a deal is ready to be completed.
There is talk of a buyout clause and that City are fully prepared to trigger it. Villa have never discussed the details of Grealish’s contract.

Those sources around City indicate that personal terms have already been agreed, too, which is common at this stage of the summer, and that is why there is confidence that things have moved on well, and why those stories cropped up during the Euros.
However, sources close to the player are under the impression that he is ready to sign a new contract after all. Villa also appear confident this is the case, a year on from when he last signed an extension, and have been telling their new signings that they will be playing alongside Grealish, not replacing him, even if just for one more year.
Grealish left the country for his holidays in midweek and his future is now in the hands of his representatives, and if he does ultimately stay at Villa Park it would represent a U-turn given the progress made in a move to City.

The Athletic

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wouldn't be shocked if 90m or 100m is the buyout clause. City are about to pull the trigger here.

largelyworried

Such an un-Pep like player. Mahrez has always felt like a square peg at City and Grealish is even more of an unstructured and off-the-cuff kind of guy. Is Pep going to change his style to accommodate him? Or is he going to try and coach him into a more structured attacker? Mahrez has ended up like such a joyless figure trying to stick to Peps predetermined lines of attack all the time, it’d be a shame if Grealish ended up like that.

izec

He is going to City, simply because he got embarrassed at the Euros by Southgate. It tells you playing for a smaller club you stand no chance, irrespective of your quality.

SeanyC

Hate to say it but he will tear it up at City, especially with the quality of player around him. Pity we will never seen him in a red shirt

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am looking forward to see how he performs at a much higher level. Pep will not stand for him hugging the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.