Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Strange u-turn. Unless the deal will possibly allow him to leave for cheaper next summer? Seems unlikely. Be very very happy if he stays where he is though.

Teja

So wrong, so naive. The best player adapt if they have to, no player hugs the ball too long if the perfect option is available. Imagine de Bruyne at Villa all of a sudden, don’t you think he would stop and seek options more than what he is doing now? Of course he would. Besides, it’s not like City win every game 5-0 and find life easy, there are lots of games with little space and low blocks, this is where Grealish comes in handy as he escapes defenders with ease and picks the perfectly weighted pass. Him and de Bruyne in the same team, if they work perfectly, is a scary thought.
Debruyne at Villa is a bad comparison because his game isn't about running. Even if he played at Villa he wouldn't hog the ball.

We saw what happens with Sterling, Mahrez etc. The same will hopefully happen to Grealish as well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
89 appearances in 4 years for a club who play 60 a season a year doesn't strike me as playing a lot.
And if you don't think he ever played left back I would go and do your research.
Weird way of looking at Delph's utilization at City, given that he was starting LB for their best season in the league since Pep's arrival (100 points).

Red00012

Strange u-turn. Unless the deal will possibly allow him to leave for cheaper next summer? Seems unlikely. Be very very happy if he stays where he is though.
He’s been told to wait 12 months when Pogba leaves :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Weird way of looking at Delph's utilization at City, given that he was starting LB for their best season in the league since Pep's arrival (100 points).
He had 22 appearances in the league, not at all at left back by any means, in a season Mendy was injured and Zinchenko hadn't emerged.
Very much a weak link in their great team, and over the 4 years very much a bit part player.

I'm not actually sure what your point was, as the whole reason I mentioned Delph was in response to someone who said Grealish won't go as he's featuring heavily in the Villa merch/pre season stuff.
Delph was featured heavily, was captain, and actually went on record saying he was definitely staying.
About a week before going to City.

El Jefe

I really don't get what Grealish has done to hypnotise some of you. How is there still such clamour for us to sign him when Sancho, Rashford, Pogba and Martial can play that LW position. The talk of selling Pogba and replacing him with Grealish is just as daft as Pogba will need to be replaced with an actual midfielder(s) not a player that's less of a CM than he is.

Now that we've signed Sancho, Grealish brings nothing to the team that we don't already have.

If he goes to City so be it, our rivals have signed far better players than Grealish. Top player but the overrating of him is getting a bit silly now.

Eternitiy

He has the marketability of Beckham combined with the entertainment of Ronaldinho. He could be the face of this football club for the next several years. To sign him is a no-brainer.

Judas

Open to offers
These Ronaldinho comparisons are killing me. Are they being made by people who weren't old enough to witness him? Grealish isn't anywhere close to the entertainment factor he offered, they're not even remotely similar really.

I know quite a few are (rightfully) taking the piss, but the fact even a couple are serious is mind boggling.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
These Ronaldinho comparisons are killing me. Are they being made by people who weren't old enough to witness him? Grealish isn't anywhere close to the entertainment factor he offered, they're not even remotely similar really.

I know quite a few are (rightfully) taking the piss, but the fact even a couple are serious is mind boggling.
I am always wondering what they would be said when they watched Ronaldinho. If grealish is modern Ronaldinho then Ronaldinho would be whom in their perspective?

bosskeano

i hope like hell Grealish doesn't go to City as he'll make them so much better in their attack playing alongside KdB

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s potentially the only chink in an oil clubs armour. If you have so many top players, those that love to play every week will potentially second guess coming to play for you.

There is now a 5 years body of evidence which show you very clearly, that no matter who you are, you are not guaranteed to start games at Man City.

I would say that Grealish and Kane would look at that, and if they love their football, might not fancy missing games every month and not having control over their roles.

Hopefully a bit of payback for the ridiculously unfair squad City have amassed over the last few years.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For me, raises questions about his mentality. I know in life being happy is the most important thing but I would have thought a player with his ability would be eager to test himself at the very highest level. This might be his only opportunity to.move to a big club in his career. Not many teams are going to offer £100m for him.
He'll soon be 26 and has yet to play a European game.
He's just had a little taster of what it might be like over the summer.
ie playing second fiddle in his favourite position to Sterling.

Taking a big increase on a new deal, staying at the club you're idolised at, and staying living where you are surrounded by friends and family doesn't strike me as a mad move by any means.
It's a very short career with an even shorter peak, and I'd wonder if it's not actually more of a waste for him to play say 20 full games for City, then play 90mins every week for 40+ at Villa.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For me, raises questions about his mentality. I know in life being happy is the most important thing but I would have thought a player with his ability would be eager to test himself at the very highest level. This might be his only opportunity to.move to a big club in his career. Not many teams are going to offer £100m for him.
He'll soon be 26 and has yet to play a European game.
What's it got to do with his mentality. Some players just love their clubs more than personal success or glory. Fair fecks to him. Admirable to want to be a legend for your boyhood club and see how far you can take them. 1 league cup with them would mean more to him than a treble with City probably.

diarm

Villa's owners are richer than anyone in the league except City's and probably Abramovich.

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of ambition or mentality if they've convinced him about the project they are building. They've shown real ambition in the transfer market over the last couple of years and he might fancy being the focal point of his boyhood club making it back to the big time.

redshaw

Must've meant Beckham at 14 years of age and Ronaldinho in a plaster cast?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it's the stupid haircut. Think of all the Brylcreem sponsorships Woody could sell if Grealish came here.
Nah it's the legs, all the women love him for that :lol:

He's not a bad looking bloke either, and thick as 2 planks like our Becks too.

jesperjaap

What a difference 12 months make. Last summer he wasnt good enough and wouldnt play was the general consensus with a few saying he would....12 months later he is a fantastic player we should try desperately to sign being the general consensus with a few saying he is over rated.

I thought last summer he shoul dhav ebeen the number one target. Solved so many squad positions, yet I beleive he would have started and alloowed us to sell a few of the players linke dto leave this summer last summer....instead we got VDB who at the moment is just another number.

I sitll lvoe Grealish and of course would be delighted to have him at our club.....but timing is now wrong. We have lots of wing options, as lots of our wingers can play both flanks and we have youngsters coming through. I still think he would start actually, butwe have other priorities and the cost of Grealish would be at the expense of 1 or 2 of them, shame for me but Ithink the time to sign him has passed

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What a difference 12 months make. Last summer he wasnt good enough and wouldnt play was the general consensus with a few saying he would....12 months later he is a fantastic player we should try desperately to sign being the general consensus with a few saying he is over rated.

I thought last summer he shoul dhav ebeen the number one target. Solved so many squad positions, yet I beleive he would have started and alloowed us to sell a few of the players linke dto leave this summer last summer....instead we got VDB who at the moment is just another number.

I sitll lvoe Grealish and of course would be delighted to have him at our club.....but timing is now wrong. We have lots of wing options, as lots of our wingers can play both flanks and we have youngsters coming through. I still think he would start actually, butwe have other priorities and the cost of Grealish would be at the expense of 1 or 2 of them, shame for me but Ithink the time to sign him has passed
Huh? That's just not true at all. March 2020:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/maddison-vs-grealish-who-would-you-rather-have.454309/

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

I remember being gutted that we didn't sign him.

Benzema, robben and essien are others that left a bad taste. Except for benzema who had "dreams" of madrid, we could have signed the other three if we splashed a bit more cash.

jesperjaap

Crustanoid

Should have bought him in January when we got to the top of the league. Would have been a statement, and kicked us on Cantona style . Unfortunately we’re owned by massive bellends.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If this news about Pogba to PSG has any weight in it, we absolutely have to try and use the funds to go for Grealish.

Not only do we acquire the most like for like replacement for Pogba that is available but we also reduce the chances of our rival strengthening themselves by acquiring him (city).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Should have bought him in January when we got to the top of the league. Would have been a statement, and kicked us on Cantona style . Unfortunately we’re owned by massive bellends.
He was injured for most of the second half of the season.

flappyjay

Grealish and Maddison were this forums choice for the position behind the striker. I think Bruno was seen as 2nd choice or third choice.

MDFC Manager

If this news about Pogba to PSG has any weight in it, we absolutely have to try and use the funds to go for Grealish.

Not only do we acquire the most like for like replacement for Pogba that is available but we also reduce the chances of our rival strengthening themselves by acquiring him (city).
And bench Rashford?

hungrywing

I’d be interested to see if the club has a table geared towards calculating that sort of thing. AKA How much value does that add onto a players price.

Status
Not open for further replies.