Great article on the rise of the weird online fanbase

Acquire Me

So to summarize the article. It's about a 30 something years old man who fails to understand that a minority of teenagers and generally young people are immature?
It’s not a new thing obviously, the internet and social media are just making it more vocal.

It is a bit annoying, but it all boils down to the fact; generally young people are immature.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There are so many people who pretend to have an in depth opinion on other players in the league based on maybe watching them four times a year. Anyone someone from the UK starts talking about Atletico players or the latest Feyernoord player in detail you know they’re a knobber.
That you think being able to watch the current La Liga champions is somehow out of reach for someone living in the UK explains so much about your awful takes on football outside of the Premier League such as this https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-relative-strength-of-the-premier-league.415336/

(don't get me wrong though, I do also think you have bad takes on premier league football )

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That you think being able to watch the current La Liga champions is somehow out of reach for someone living in the UK explains so much about your awful takes on football outside of the Premier League such as this https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-relative-strength-of-the-premier-league.415336/

(don't get me wrong though, I do also think you have bad takes on premier league football )
What percentage of people do you think regularly watch (10+ league games) Atletico last year?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What percentage of people do you think regularly watch (10+ league games) Atletico last year?
I wouldn’t know, I haven’t got round to asking everyone yet.

Speaking personally I haven’t watched Spanish football regularly for a couple seasons, but I also spent a decade watching it weekly and I’d be surprised if I was the only who ever did, especially when it’s incredibly easy to do so.

You just admitted that you didn’t watch Spanish football (or any football outside of England), yet you made a thread comparing these leagues and came to a very bad conclusion. The one time when you might have seen some of these teams play in Europe was when the PL sides were getting routinely spanked, you asserted that it was unfair to gauge quality from European ties (something I actually kind of agree with but for different reasons than you I imagine).

So you don't watch their games, yet you felt compelled to do an in depth comparison between the leagues. It's the exact thing you're complaining about, people pretending to know about players and teams that they don't watch.

The article was ok.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I wouldn’t know, I haven’t got round to asking everyone yet.

Speaking personally I haven’t watched Spanish football regularly for a couple seasons, but I also spent a decade watching it weekly and I’d be surprised if I was the only who ever did, especially when it’s incredibly easy to do so.

You just admitted that you didn’t watch Spanish football (or any football outside of England), yet you made a thread comparing these leagues and came to a very bad conclusion. The one time when you might have seen some of these teams play in Europe was when the PL sides were getting routinely spanked, you asserted that it was unfair to gauge quality from European ties (something I actually kind of agree with but for different reasons than you I imagine).

So you don't watch their games, yet you felt compelled to do an in depth comparison between the leagues. It's the exact thing you're complaining about, people pretending to know about players and teams that they don't watch.

The article was ok.
When on Earth did I say I don’t watch football from different leagues?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The biggest indicator are the takes you put forward in this thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-relative-strength-of-the-premier-league.415336/

Casting doubt on the idea of having watched the current Spanish champions, one of the biggest clubs in world football, more than 10 times over a season, is another.
Pretend you watched Atletico last year ten times in the league if you want.

That thread is literally testament to my reading of the footballing landscape. Why would someone bring that thread up now I have no idea if they want to make me look foolish.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Pretend you watched Atletico last year ten times in the league if you want.

That thread is literally testament to my reading of the footballing landscape. Why would someone bring that thread up now I have no idea if they want to make me look foolish.
Speaking personally I haven’t watched Spanish football regularly for a couple seasons
You're not the type of person that needs help making themselves look foolish.
There's no argument from me that the thread where you assert the PL's superiority (The season where Leicester won the league and sandwiched in the middle of La Liga winning the CL 5 times in a row and constantly winning ties vs PL sides) is a testament to your reading of the footballing landscape. It's just clear that it's a bad reading and you probably can't read.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We're bringing him up because throughout his time here, @Wumminator had been relentlessly negative about him, exhibiting the exact same attitude that he's bullying people for. He opened the 'When does Mourinho's job come under threat?' thread in November 2016. Three months into Mourinho's tenure. Yet he keeps lecturing everyone on how to stand behind the club and the manager.

Don't get me wrong: I agreed with him about Mourinho but the hypocrisy is a bit rich. He was seriously relentless. He posted the 'Everything we feared about Jose Mourinho could be coming to fruition' thread in October 2017 when we were still sitting second in the table, five points behind City. It's not hard to imagine the contempt he'd show to those who'd make a similar thread in a similar situation about Ole.

When Wummy says we should stand behind the manager and support the club, he means that we should stand behind the manager if Wummy himself thinks the manager is the right man for the job.
What is story behind his username?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He was originally called Twigginator but got a name change because he's a massive WUM.

It's not a particularly interesting story, I'm sorry.
What a guy, that's hilarious. Honoring his username with great glory.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You're not the type of person that needs help making themselves look foolish.
There's no argument from me that the thread where you assert the PL's superiority (The season where Leicester won the league and sandwiched in the middle of La Liga winning the CL 5 times in a row and constantly winning ties vs PL sides) is a testament to your reading of the footballing landscape. It's just clear that it's a bad reading and you probably can't read.
So just to be clear;

You personally don’t watch any La Liga matches at all but think it’s personally reasonable that people here watched 10 Atletico matches in the league last year?

Think about last year, a year when every premier league match was available in the UK. How many teams would the regular person on this forum have to decide not to watch to tune into Atletico Madrid? It’s simply not happening for 99.99999% of people.

In that thread I argued that despite UK clubs struggling in the CL I think that the money coming into the league and the strength of their players meant they would soon dominate Europe. I specifically mentioned that in the upcoming years leagues like the Bundesliga would struggle to compete.

Someone earlier mentioned my “everything we feared aboutMourinho could be coming true” thread.The thread that was so well written it made national newspapers. If you look through that thread my complaints about Mourinho were valid and well researched. Hence newspapers in the country talking about it. Nothing like what is happening with Ole now. I don’t mind criticisms of the manager… if they’re well worded and interested to read.

EtH

We're bringing him up because throughout his time here, @Wumminator had been relentlessly negative about him, exhibiting the exact same attitude that he's bullying people for. He opened the 'When does Mourinho's job come under threat?' thread in November 2016. Three months into Mourinho's tenure. Yet he keeps lecturing everyone on how to stand behind the club and the manager.

Don't get me wrong: I agreed with him about Mourinho but the hypocrisy is a bit rich. He was seriously relentless. He posted the 'Everything we feared about Jose Mourinho could be coming to fruition' thread in October 2017 when we were still sitting second in the table, five points behind City. It's not hard to imagine the contempt he'd show to those who'd make a similar thread in a similar situation about Ole.

When Wummy says we should stand behind the manager and support the club, he means that we should stand behind the manager if Wummy himself thinks the manager is the right man for the job.
I could see the hypocrisy angle if it was anyone but Mourinho. That man is vile. And an absolute charlatan of a manager. He nearly made me take a break from football before he finally got the sack. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

dal

Great article which relates to around 90 percent of the cafe when we lose a game.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So just to be clear;

You personally don’t watch any La Liga matches at all but think it’s personally reasonable that people here watched 10 Atletico matches in the league last year?

Think about last year, a year when every premier league match was available in the UK. How many teams would the regular person on this forum have to decide not to watch to tune into Atletico Madrid? It’s simply not happening for 99.99999% of people.
I already pointed out that I watched Spanish football weekly for a decade when that thread was made. This is a good example of what the problem is with your thinking. "Well I don't do it so no one does".

In that thread I argued that despite UK clubs struggling in the CL I think that the money coming into the league and the strength of their players meant they would soon dominate Europe. I specifically mentioned that in the upcoming years leagues like the Bundesliga would struggle to compete.
In that thread you claimed it was the strongest league, 5 years later the league improving doesn't vindicate your point it just shows you're the type of guy who doesn't like to admit he was wrong and that you're a good example of the Dunning-Kruger effect

Someone earlier mentioned my “everything we feared aboutMourinho could be coming true” thread.The thread that was so well written it made national newspapers. If you look through that thread my complaints about Mourinho were valid and well researched. Hence newspapers in the country talking about it. Nothing like what is happening with Ole now. I don’t mind criticisms of the manager… if they’re well worded and interested to read.
:lol:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I already pointed out that I watched Spanish football weekly for a decade when that thread was made. This is a good example of what the problem is with your thinking. "Well I don't do it so no one does".

In that thread you claimed it was the strongest league, 5 years later the league improving doesn't vindicate your point it just shows you're the type of guy who doesn't like to admit he was wrong and that you're a good example of the Dunning-Kruger effect

:lol:
No idea why you are laughing. There was literally a link to that thread put in national papers.

At most two people here watched ten Atletico games last season. Before watching Atletico most fans here would obviously watch United. Then you’ve got the teams we were battling with like Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Then you’ve got Barcelona and Madrid who get vastly better viewing figures for their games. Then you might watch Atletico. Simple as.

the channel it’s on is 7.99 a month and I’ve never heard of it ffs.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The feck does it matter if you're a match going fan or not. Okay if you live in the area and you can pay for the tickets and choose not to, maybe you're not a big fan, but United is huge internationally and wouldn't be nearly as successful without all the worldwide fans. Be thankful for the international fans. The gatekeeping is so incredibly cringe.
It matters.

It's desilusional to believe that japanese/chinese Man Utd fans have the same feelings as english fans from Manchester whose whole family are Man Utd fans since 80 years ago... and I'm not even talking about going to a match btw, just the experience of supporting a team you are familiar with.

They can support Man Utd if they want, but let's not pretend that is the same as support in-situ.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Money is the differance between a fan and a supporter. A supporter gives money to the club via shirt sales, tv subscriptions, going to the stadium to watch matches, etc etc. A fan is interested in their success and failure but doesn't invest any money.

I personally am a supporter of Rangers and a fan of Utd.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Money is the differance between a fan and a supporter. A supporter gives money to the club via shirt sales, tv subscriptions, going to the stadium to watch matches, etc etc. A fan is interested in their success and failure but doesn't invest any money.

That’s not true at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a weirder take.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
That’s not true at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a weirder take.
It is not up to you to decide what is true or not. You can only give your opinion. My opinion is based on the origin of the word. Support indicates a necessity to maintain a structure. Fan simply implies wafting air.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is not up to you to decide what is true or not. You can only give your opinion. My opinion is based on the origin of the word. Support indicates a necessity to maintain a structure. Fan simply implies wafting air.
That… is not… I just…

I honestly don’t know what to say.

Bestietom

Great article which relates to around 90 percent of the cafe when we lose a game.
Are fans not allowed show their emotion when we lose. It's a known fact that they do, but I agree some get far too emotional.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Really good article. I'm a match going fan, I was at the Palace game yesterday and the Milan game midweek and I swear, what's written online half the time doesn't match up to what I see in the ground.

Criticism is fine, no one is exempt from that, but a lot of the time, it crosses the line into abuse and that's not OK.

Bobski

I think you have to go with the perspective(on here) that match threads, and the immediate period after are going to be irrational, with people emotionally involved, don't get upset or antagonized by what people post and wait for the more balanced discussion that comes later.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think you have to go with the perspective(on here) that match threads, and the immediate period after are going to be irrational, with people emotionally involved, don't get upset or antagonized by what people post and wait for the more balanced discussion that comes later.
Sometimes it doesn't come though... That's the issue. Anyway hopefully it calms things down even a little.

rotherham_red

Tbf to @Wumminator he also backed LvG to the hilt (or was that ciderman?). He just had an deep dislike of Jose, which tbf to him, he was bang on with.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's not directly linked to this, but this new-age of 'Penaldo' and 'Pessi' is in my opinion a step in the right direction. Along with the "Newcastle United, Sheffield United, Miami United.. etc. Man United aren't in the top 10 United's in my book"

Before this it was more serious, nastier attempts to bait people and wind others up. The roof caved in on it and now these kids just openly take the piss with stuff like the above.

Unbelievably, its better than what existed before. That's based on what I've seen anyway.

redshaw

Maybe you mean the other way around? "Fan" short for fanatical or fanatic is the type to go to games, buy the shirts and other merchandise, pay up for subscriptions.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Maybe you mean the other way around? "Fan" short for fanatical or fanatic is the type to go to games, buy the shirts and other merchandise, pay up for subscriptions.
If I grew up in America I might use "fan' in that way. I prefer the wafting air definition.

Last edited: