Television Great British Bake Off 2022 | now 2023

Coxy

That was one of the strongest semi finals in the show. Such a shame Jurgen has gone - don't think he deserved it given his performance from the start.
It’s always based on that week though - not their performance up to that point

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Strong series this year... Whoever had gone home in that semi you could have made a strong argument for staying.

Heardy

I thought he was ok lasy year but he has been woeful this time around.

Noel seems to be by far the better host bar that awkward interaction with Jurgen last night but by and large he tends to gel with the contestants a lot better and Jurgen was sulking anyway
I agree with that. Think Noel’s humour was lost on Jurgen last night who wasn’t in the best place mentally as knew he was on the backfoot in the cook - he just wanted Noel to leave him alone :lol:

stepic

Crazy Jurgen didn’t make it to the final albeit I guess it’s justified based on the semi final performance alone. He’s been genius throughout though. I thought maybe Guiseppe may have gone but it was a quality semi final. Anyone’s win now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's the usual shit with this show. The first day is filler, Jurgen absolutely smashed the technical challenge for example, miles ahead of the others but it means nothing. It's just always down to the show stopper.

Whats even more infuriating is there is no consistency in the show, in past years they've taken previous weeks into account. There's been a few weird decisions in the past when someone really strong has a bad week but gets away with it due to their previous weeks.

They wanted an edible stand for the show stopper but didn't even eat any of it. :lol:

Thaumaste

If you are, I'm in it with you. Can't stand the tw*t. Couldn't stand him even back in the days of being on Vic and Bob as George Dawes. Couldn't stand him in Little Britain and I still can't stand him in the GBBO. I really liked Noel with Sandy Toksvig.
Absolutely. A bit like Leigh Francis, he seems to believe (and fair enough, since they both built careers out of it) that the ability to put on a really stupid voice and be obnoxious without any sense of embarrassment amounts to comedy.

Noel and Sandy were my favourite combo so far. Personally, I'd like them to ditch Lucas and get Lizzie from this year's Bake Off to be Noel's co-host.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I was nodding in agreement with all of your post until you said …
Personally, I'd like them to ditch Lucas and get Lizzie from this year's Bake Off to be Noel's co-host.
…are you crazy? :lol:

I’d petition for them to keep Lucas. Her voice almost brought about anaphylactic shock every time she spoke and it was a huge relief to me when she went :)

Joking aside, for the first time in years I’m happy with whoever wins this year now, Chigs, Guiseppe and Crystelle all seem like good people.

Coxy

I’d petition for them to keep Lucas. Her voice almost brought about anaphylactic shock every time she spoke and it was a huge relief to me when she went :)

Joking aside, for the first time in years I’m happy with whoever wins this year now, Chigs, Guiseppe and Crystelle all seem like good people.
Fully agree - her voice was unbearable!

I love Noel - prefer him to both Mel and Sue - but not keen on either of his partners on C4 - I actually think he’d be stronger by himself

lsd

The Oracle
Fully agree - her voice was unbearable!

I love Noel - prefer him to both Mel and Sue - but not keen on either of his partners on C4 - I actually think he’d be stronger by himself

I assume there is two as it is long hours and at least one of them has to be around at all times.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's the usual shit with this show. The first day is filler, Jurgen absolutely smashed the technical challenge for example, miles ahead of the others but it means nothing. It's just always down to the show stopper.

Whats even more infuriating is there is no consistency in the show, in past years they've taken previous weeks into account. There's been a few weird decisions in the past when someone really strong has a bad week but gets away with it due to their previous weeks.

They wanted an edible stand for the show stopper but didn't even eat any of it. :lol:
Did he? He also got the base wrong - there didn't seem to be much between his and Guiseppe's.

He also came behind the other 3 in the first challenge so they were all pretty even after Day 1.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Did he? He also got the base wrong - there didn't seem to be much between his and Guiseppe's.

He also came behind the other 3 in the first challenge so they were all pretty even after Day 1.
I felt a bit bad for him in the first challenge. Prue even said something like "if it was me, you would have got a handshake".

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

George absolutely nailed the show stopper and still went home, same with Lizzie last week.

Jurgen was the weakest overall this week. He had an 8/10 whereas the other 3 had a 9/10. Ultimately he had the worst bake on 2 of the 3 tasks.

He was brilliant but the likes of Crystelle and Chigs have gotten way better throughout whereas he hasn't really come on from the first few weeks where he was the stand out.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

The base was the only issue and all they said was it was slightly overcooked. Guiseppe did the base completely wrong, thin and made it like a flan which wasn't the brief. You just had to listen to the comments to know that Jurgens was clearly the better one.

Pru also said that she'd have given him a handshake for his Signature.

George absolutely nailed the show stopper and still went home, same with Lizzie last week.

Jurgen was the weakest overall this week. He had an 8/10 whereas the other 3 had a 9/10. Ultimately he had the worst bake on 2 of the 3 tasks.

He was brilliant but the likes of Crystelle and Chigs have gotten way better throughout whereas he hasn't really come on from the first few weeks where he was the stand out.
He was star baker last week for fecks sake. He was clearly the best contestant throughout, as shown by the complete shock of the over contestants when his name was called. Unfortunately for Jurgen, he's just not glamorous enough to be a winner of the show. It's the usual thing with Bakeoff, gets near to the end and it becomes daft as feck. Like the year when Rahul somehow won, despite offering something inedible in the finale for the technical challenge. You'll also see the usual thing in the final when they'll say "well, y'know this result should be based on all the weeks and not just this one!".

Love the show, but it has got a bit silly since it went to channel 4.

Marwood

The base was the only issue and all they said was it was slightly overcooked. Guiseppe did the base completely wrong, thin and made it like a flan which wasn't the brief. You just had to listen to the comments to know that Jurgens was clearly the better one.

He was star baker last week for fecks sake. He was clearly the best contestant throughout, as shown by the complete shock of the over contestants when his name was called. Unfortunately for Jurgen, he's just not glamorous enough to be a winner of the show. It's the usual thing with Bakeoff, gets near to the end and it becomes daft as feck. Like the year when Rahul somehow won, despite offering something inedible in the finale for the technical challenge. You'll also see the usual thing in the final when they'll say "well, y'know this result should be based on all the weeks and not just this one!".

Was Rahul glamorous?

lsd

The Oracle

Exactly it was extremely close but he was just a little below the others this week.

Any other year he may have finished star baker for that performance but they judged it well. Certainly no conspiracies

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Was Rahul glamorous?
He was their favourite throughout due to his inner confidence conflict and to be fair, he was generally very good but had a stinker yet allowed him through due to his previous standout weeks. Then had another stinker of a technical in the final but was deemed worthy of winning. I swear the technical challenges are just a filler in the show and mean sweet feck all in the grand scheme of things. That's my take on watching every episode of the show. I also would say that Paul holds all of the power on the judges panel. Prue can't issue out handshakes, she can say something is exceptional but it means nothing.

It's why the professional Bakeoff is a better show in my opinion.

Massive Spanner

Rahul winning completely disproves your point seeing as Ruby was a far more glamorous and marketable contestant (she's actually done more tv work since the show than him!) :lol: He had also been star baker the most throughout and the best baker overall and people were outraged he won because he fecked up the final and everyone said it should be judged on that week. This year Jurgen gets judged on this week when he was definitely the weakest of the four and now you're complaining because he was the best overall throughout. Which is it?

I mean if you are judging purely on this week alone he deserved to go, and according to your post above that's what it should be based on so...

Massive Spanner

He was their favourite throughout due to his inner confidence conflict and to be fair, he was generally very good but had a stinker yet allowed him through due to his previous standout weeks. Then had another stinker of a technical in the final but was deemed worthy of winning. I swear the technical challenges are just a filler in the show and mean sweet feck all in the grand scheme of things. That's my take on watching every episode of the show. I also would say that Paul holds all of the power on the judges panel. Prue can't issue out handshakes, she can say something is exceptional but it means nothing.

Your take is wrong in fairness. Plenty of contestants went home this season after having a great showstopper (George, Lizzie) but a terrible technical. I think you're just making stuff up in your head to justify outrage for Jurgen (who was also my favourite and I'm sad he's gone) rightly going.

Marwood

Yeah but you said glamorous contestants get the nod. Rahul was the very opposite of glamour.

Did feel sorry for Jurgen though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Rahul winning completely disproves your point seeing as Ruby was a far more glamorous and marketable contestant (she's actually done more tv work since the show than him!) :lol: He had also been star baker the most throughout and the best baker overall and people were outraged he won because he fecked up the final and everyone said it should be judged on that week. This year Jurgen gets judged on this week when he was definitely the weakest of the four and now you're complaining because he was the best overall throughout. Which is it?
You just made the same observation that I did? It's the shows fault if it's not clear on how it's being judged, not the viewers. The inconsistency with the shows format is clearly the problem. We'll see the same situation in the final as they change the rules again. We say it every year. Literally every year.

Yeah but you said glamorous contestants get the nod. Rahul was the very opposite of glamour.

Did feel sorry for Jurgen though.
Rahul had the story of the guy with no confidence finally getting it. The nerd that becomes the hero storyline. Jurgen started out brilliantly, he had no storyline and despite being a great baker was on the whole dull and flat. I mean, this show was an example of him not really wanting to converse with the Noel and Matt. The shows about entertainment after all, having someone who barely says anything and just bakes isn't good tv. This is how reality tv works.

I'll be surprised if Chigs doesn't win it. The producers have made it damn well clear, we've had the "he's incredible, he only started baking a year ago!" for weeks. It's the newbie becoming the master storyline, Luke Skywalker all over again.

Massive Spanner

She was hot!
So hot.
You just made the same observation that I did? It's the shows fault if it's not clear on how it's being judged, not the viewers. The inconsistency with the shows format is clearly the problem. We'll see the same situation in the final as they change the rules again. We say it every year. Literally every year.
My point is they've clearly addressed that since Rahul though. The year David won it, Stef had been star baker four times in a row and was a more marketable contestant but she botched the final and they gave it to David. Same thing just happened with Jurgen in the SF. Of all the years to complain about injustices this isn't the one. I think the right person has gone every single week if you're basing it on just that week.

Your original argument was that Jurgen didn't deserve to go and they don't seem to care about the technical and both of those clearly aren't true based on the series so far so I don't know what you're still moaning about.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'll be surprised if Chigs doesn't win it. The producers have made it damn well clear, we've had the "he's incredible, he only started baking a year ago!" for weeks. It's the newbie becoming the master storyline, Luke Skywalker all over again.
He's been really consistent throughout, certainly as consistent as anyone else and had an excellent SF so it wouldn't be a crime if he did win.

lsd

The Oracle
I think it is because they are all on a high level this series that it feels bad that someone went home despite doing well.

Someone had to go and unfortunately for Jurgen on the episode he was slightly below the other three.

You can't turn round and say he had been great every other week as you can make a similar arguement for the other three who just did better that week.

If anything overall for the series I would have placed Guiseppe above Jurgen going into this week's show

Thaumaste

I guess I'm on my own when it comes to Lizzie! Grew to really like her over the course of the show, and thought her banter with Noel was always entertaining.

But fully agree with your take on the finalists. I'll be cheering on Giuseppe, but will be happy for whoever wins. I just hope they all make it as hard for the judges as they did this week. Would be a shame for anyone to have a disaster and rule themselves out.

The Corinthian

I'd love it if Giuseppe won, took his top off and had a "Let's all laugh at England" t-shirt on underneath.

pauldyson1uk

I have to disagree, yes he won the technical but it was the best of a pretty bad bunch, Giuseppe was on par for me.
Jurgan's other cooks were pretty bland according toe Paul and Prue.
His showstopper was average at best.
Chigs and Crystelle really improved their game this week, their showstoppers were something special.
Giuseppe should win this he has been the most consistent for me, Crystelle has come good, but would not be shocked if the complete novice Chigs wins

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I have to disagree, yes he won the technical but it was the best of a pretty bad bunch, Giuseppe was on par for me.
Jurgan's other cooks were pretty bland according toe Paul and Prue.
His showstopper was average at best.
Chigs and Crystelle really improved their game this week, their showstoppers were something special.
Giuseppe should win this he has been the most consistent for me, Crystelle has come good, but would not be shocked if the complete novice Chigs wins
huh? Prue said she'd have given Jurgen a handshake for his signature and that his (can't remember the name of the technical) was almost perfect, just the biscuit base needed to be thicker. Prue didnt say it was bland at all, she loved his signature, it was just Paul who thought it was bland. They also enjoyed the showstopper, just his decoration was appartently subpar, which given he put more effort into his stand than Chigs but they were in fact a redundant part of the task given they didnt even taste them. Chigs stand for example was poor compared to the others, no comments about that though. They simply ignored it and focussed on his entremet. Perhaps it was poor editing and they removed the judges tasting/commenting on them.

I must be the only one who thought Chigs showstopper was a bit shit, his glaze was poorly done, wrong shade for the apple. His stand was shit and poorly decorated. The only clever part was having a crumble inside to act like the core. That was neat design, but the rest looked poorly executed given the standard of everyone else. Crystelle's was miles ahead of Chigs', worthy starbaker this week.

Will say, that the standard of baking is one of the best seasons to date, the final four were very good and were by far the best of the bunch. It was pretty evident after week 3/4 that they'd be the final four. I hope Guiseppe wins but very unlikely.

lsd

The Oracle
I noticed Prue only ate the biscuit part of Chigs technical although she never made a comment on it leaving it to Paul.

Wondered if it was something she can't eat

Massive Spanner

The only thing that really bugs me is the "only started baking a year ago" thing they keep pushing.

feck off with that, it's clearly hyped up to give him character.
He's so damn handsome, what more character could he need. Like Andy Garcia mixed with Di Niro :drool:

The Corinthian

Strong start from Chigs.

Ropey opening from Chantelle and Giuseppe.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Felt like Crystelle was a baked focaccia away from the title... Not sure how she managed to balls that up.