Music Greatest Basslines Ever

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Chris Squire one of the greatest bass players ever. An underrated classic from Drama

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Right before the great economic crash in Japan, the 80's was full of nostalgia and feel good tunes.

Japanese city pop/funk is severely underrated or unheard of but some of their grooves and basslines are simply outstanding.

Casiopea.

Insane bassline starts around 2:30 and carries on all the way to 4:50 :houllier:

Their funk is insane, and it may sound similar to a lot of Japanese video games you may have played back in the days.

If you like their stuff check out their album Mint Jams.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
My 17 year old is a serious talent on bass. He was supposed to go to Juilliard in NYC for an audition for Horn (french horn), he is a really solid orchestra player on Horn. His true love is Jazz Bass. He has decided to attend Georgia State for Jazz Bass instead of furthering Horn. He also wants to be in Atlanta for the rock and jazz scene to play gigs.

My house is usually a wonderful mix of Phil Lesh, Flea, Joe Dart, and Tony Kanal….with a smattering of Geddy Lee. He is always plugged in. It makes my heart happy.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Everyone should listen to this at least once. The perfect harmony of incredible lead guitarist, unbelievable bass, and a drummer that just keeps going. Everyone focuses on Clapton, and understandably, but Jack Bruce is insanely good in this

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not a memorable bassline, but while it's firmly in the background, the bass (fretless?) totally makes this song - it's an amazing way to make a decent song good without actually taking the spotlight. John Giblin: a stroke of luck for Fish to have gotten him on board here. (The quality of his work is very dependent on the band he hires.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not really a brilliant bass line per se, but a great bass band. It's double bass always and everywhere, and that provides great lines and a great sound all over the place - especially when the music (punk with a strong rockabilly influence) is more on the rockabilly side.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I realized that there is serious lack of Tony Levin in this thread. Here he is with King Crimson in Elephant Talk, on the Chapman Stick (and also Adrian Belew with a masterclass in weird guitar sounds):

Drifter

American
I Want Your Love” - Chic

Prince Charles and The City Beat Band - Fool for Love

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The Chain.

Iconic in so many ways. About as recognisable a baseline as it gets for me. Although does that count as just a riff?

Last edited:

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
May have already been posted but all the videos in the thread is making my iPad go slow and I can’t go back to check so just in case it hasn’t

And for something completely different

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Great cover and the way they slip into The Smiths at the end is pure class.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
May have already been posted but all the videos in the thread is making my iPad go slow and I can’t go back to check so just in case it hasn’t

And for something completely different

For The Clash, Guns of Brixton is another one off that album. :)

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
For The Clash, Guns of Brixton is another one off that album. :)
Great shout, the baseline in that takes on the melody while the guitars are percussive.

Sticking to a punk/post punk theme Talking Heads had some great bass lines that filled out their songs.

(Not the original bass player I just enjoy this performance)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Great shout, the baseline in that takes on the melody while the guitars are percussive.

Sticking to a punk/post punk theme Talking Heads had some great bass lines that filled out their songs.

(Not the original bass player I just enjoy this performance)
Postpunk - yes, let's go there! Gang of Four has an infinite supply of great bass parts. This is probably a stand-out, as the bass carries the song melodically while the guitars is mostly there just for rhythm and texture:

A little bit further off, The Smiths have lots of great, melodic basslines as well. This one in particular really adds to the song (rather than providing just playing the base of each chord):

And to bring a recent postpunk offshoot into play: I have always loved how this song has very little bass. The first verse (and again the middle eight) is played pretty much entirely without, to be added only at a few moments to add depth and flow. The bass part is not that interesting elsewhere, but I think this is a great example of how you can add to a song by doing nothing for a good stretch.

padr81

Supports
Man City
My fave to play is probably Deep Purple, Perfect Strangers, I used to love playing the chorus to that on bass. Roger Glover is probably the most underrated classic rock bass player of all time. Some great lines, Burn is another one.

Time stamped, has an amazing groove for classic rock which is usually just a bunch of 8th notes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have realised that Chris Noveselic was quite an underrated bass player.