Greatest Champions League runs & wins?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
In Real’s run to the CL win, they defeated the French league Champions, the outgoing European Champions, the English league Champions and the winners of the League Cup. They also defeated the top 3 teams in the Premier League.

The other difficult run I can remember is their run in 2017/18, where they were in a group with Dortmund, Spurs, knocked out PSG, Juve, and Bayern (champions of France, Italy, and Germany) before defeating Liverpool in the final.

In 1999, we played Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the group stages (a group of death), played Inter and Juve in the knock out stages, and then defeated Bayern in the final. We went through this CL campaign undefeated.

The benefit of our run in 99, and their run this year is that they also won the domestic league, which obviously adds some credibility to their ‘best’ status.

Which season’s CL run & win would you say are the best?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
argument for both. Our much harder group make up for the one less knockout tie

both had great comebacks and amazing moments

Its a hard call.

sukhy

Barca in 2014/15, they only played Champions the whole way through the tournament:

Group Stage:
PSG (Champions of France)
Ajax (Champions of Netherlands)
Apoel (Champions of Cyprus)

Knockout Stages:
Man City (Champions of England)
Bayern Munich (Champions of Germany)
Juventus (Champions of Italy)

Reactions: Jippy

The Corinthian

Barca in 2014/15, they only played Champions the whole way through the tournament:

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Great shout - totally missed them.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Never realised this, but that must be nr 1. They also won a treble that year right?

Pintu

No need to mention the 99 run. It speaks for itself.

Bayern's run under Heynckes in 2012/13 was immense.

They faced 2 of the best teams of that period (Juventus and Barça) and they literally destroyed them (4-0 aggregate vs Juve and an astonishing 7-0 aggregate vs Barcelona). The Dortmund they defeated in the final was a good team as well.

And of course, Bayern 2019-2020 was historic, they won every single game.

Barcelona in 2014/15 with Luis Enrique and the MSN was a great run as well.

kthanksbye

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Promote this person.
This really settles the thread.

sukhy

Never realised this, but that must be nr 1. They also won a treble that year right?
That's correct, treble with 94 points won, 110 goals in the league and 21 conceded
Messi ended up with 58 goals, 30 assists all comps!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
That's a great shout. I remember thinking that was one of the least 'luck dependent' CL wins that I'd ever seen.

In general their treble that year really is insanely impressive looking considering their competition. Domestically they were up against Real who won 22 consecutive matches in all competitions mid-season, had 10 wins and 1 draw from their final 11 league games and ended up with 92 points, plus Atleti who were one of the best teams in Europe in their own right and who they beat home and away in the Copa Del Rey.

They won 50 matches out of 60 in all competitions.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ours is still the best I reckon but the one Madrid had this year was incredible in the every sense of the world, especially considering that they were the underdogs in every single one.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The 99 one was brilliant considering second place wasn’t guaranteed to go through

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Remember when were supposed to play Benefica?

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
That's correct, treble with 94 points won, 110 goals in the league and 21 conceded
Messi ended up with 58 goals, 30 assists all comps!
I didn't realise the gravity of their achievements at that time, because I thought they were worse than Pep's Barca and relied too much on MSN, but that's crazy. What a season.

Hammondo

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Damn

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Definitely the greatest run through CL history. Nobody ever run a gauntlet like this, and there weren't even many significant lucky breaks to make it considerably easier

The Corinthian

Definitely the greatest run through CL history. Nobody ever run a gauntlet like this, and there weren't even many significant lucky breaks to make it considerably easier
Definitely is a bit much. It’s certainly up for debate.

There’s 4 standout runs in my opinion -

United 99
Barca 15
Madrid 18* (no league win)
Madrid 22

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Definitely is a bit much. It’s certainly up for debate.

There’s 4 standout runs in my opinion -

United 99
Barca 15
Madrid 18* (no league win)
Madrid 22
It's really not. United 99 is overrated by names, it was a tough run but not especially so, as after a true group of death they got to go through the 7th and 8th best teams in Italy to make the final

Barcelona in '15 faced lesser teams, and conveniently got them while decimated by injuries

Ours in '18 is the only one that comes close, but i think ultimately this run was harder

The Corinthian

It's really not. United 99 is overrated by names, it was a tough run but not especially so, as after a true group of death they got to go through the 7th and 8th best teams in Italy to make the final

Barcelona in '15 faced lesser teams, and conveniently got them while decimated by injuries

Ours in '18 is the only one that comes close, but i think ultimately this run was harder
Juventus had 3 CL final appearances on the spin by the time they faced us and were the team to beat in Europe.

Inter less so but still a stacked team at a time the Serie A was the best around.

Real Madrid’s run this year was crazy I wouldn’t say it was the clear winner. PSG have previous when it comes to imploding, Man City are also serial bottlers in the CL, and Chelsea were playing amidst an unprecedented backdrop with all of their forward players underperforming for the majority of the season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juventus had 3 CL final appearances on the spin by the time they faced us and were the team to beat in Europe.
And were almost beaten by Olympiakos. That win is like Ajax vs us in '19. Great win, but ultimately everybody knows they didn't beat a great real madrid side

Inter less so but still a stacked team at a time the Serie A was the best around.
I actually disagree that serie A was the best around honestly. In fact that was the season La Liga became overtook it imo. Milan won the league with a team that was honestly nothing special

saivet

Madrid 2018 springs to mind.

Group stage with Spurs and Dortmund followed by PSG, Juve, Bayern and Liverpool

Red the Bear

Something less generic

You could say the same about this season
Psg being bottlers, City being even worse and you catching Chelsea while they were under an unprecedented internal crisis .

GinobiliTheGOAT

Madrid this year may be the jammiest team to win CL over the past decade. Fair play to them, only the winners are remembered but I can’t recall a team that consistently got outplayed as often since 2012 chelsea

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The only correct answer is Real Madrid 2022:
  • Zidane leaves, team is in shambles as it is ageing and motivation seems to have died.
  • No replacement for Goatnaldo ... Hazard is a fatso.
  • No decent manager wants anything to do with us ... We bribe the Everton coach into joining us by also hiring his son (head coach) and son-in-law (nutritionist).
  • Pandemic and the stadium renovations forces the team to spend money on only one signing in 2 years (Camavinga). Alaba comes for free.
  • Season is meant to be a transitional year ... Carlo to be fired at the end of it.
  • Start our CL campaign by losing to a team whose name sounds like a 60s Cowboy show ... Sheriff Tiraspol ... at home no less!
  • Suddenly Madrid go into God-mode ... Benzema becomes Goatzema and everyone else jumps up a level.
  • Real Madrid betrayed by the impotent English teams during the Super League fiasco.
  • Ceferin shows his hatred for us and threatens us with disqualification
  • UEFAlona conveniently make an "error" in the Group Stage draw and Real Madrid face PSG instead of Benfica.
  • Ro16: Remontada against French Champions & tournament favorites PSG
  • QF: Remontada against Current Holders Chelsea
  • SF: Remontada against English Champions & tournament favorites City.
  • Liverpool-loving media starts a demoralization campaign for weeks against Madrid.
  • Finals: UEFAlona use VARcelona technology to deny us a legitimate goal. We still beat Quadruple hopefuls Liverpool.
  • Best part: Ceferin handed us the trophy.
All other teams mentioned in this thread were one of the tournament favorites and at their peak.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentWitness

OmarUnited4ever

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
This also includes that famous comeback against PSG, lost 4-0 in France and won 6-1 at camp nou

PerezMasterclass

Supports
Real Madrid
This right here is pure bullshit and rewriting of history.

They played a garbage City that is nowhere near the City Real Madrid defeated this season with mediocre Pellegrini as manager.
They defeated a dog shit PSG a team nowhere near this PSG with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. Again doesn’t even come close to Real Madrid this season.
They defeated Bayern with several key players missing, Robben and several others didn’t play. Same was for City and PSG that had several key players missing their games against Barca.
They beat a Juventus side that’s not even better than this Chelsea that Real Madrid faced. Just cause these teams you mentioned were champions of their respective farmer leagues doesn’t make Barcas run better. That run by Barca was the most lucky fluke CL win. Literally played a bunch of teams missing several key players.

You got to be a madman to not recognize this Real Madrid run as the greatest ever. Back then the level of teams was much worse than now. Football has never been this competitive and the level has never been this high before.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
People say that you need luck to win the CL, but I’ve never seen a less luck dependent CL victory than MSN 2015. They simply blew everyone away with some of the most ridiculous football I’ve ever seen.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
People say that you need luck to win the CL, but I’ve never seen a less luck dependent CL victory than MSN 2015. They simply blew everyone away with some of the most ridiculous football I’ve ever seen.
The final wasn't without it's controversies.

Your win in 2011/12 was more dominant but even that one had the Arsenal game.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't understand how a good portion of Barca-fans can rate 14/15 over 10/11, yes, "statistically" they may be better, but everyone who watched football knows which one of them was the better side.

Barca 14/15 was hardly unstoppable, and had a few games were they struggled, Barca 10/11 was different, even without the treble.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Winner.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…

Group Stage:

Knockout Stages:
Thanks for this post; I guess not even @giorno could counter this :lol:

Even more impressive/crazy when you remember that Barca 14-15 faced their former Master Pep, of all people; Imagine SAF leaving in 2002 and Man Utd winning the 2008 UCL while knocking SAF out (managing Bayern?) in the Round of 16...

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I don't understand how a good portion of Barca-fans can rate 14/15 over 10/11, yes, "statistically" they may be better, but everyone who watched football knows which one of them was the better side.

Barca 14/15 was hardly unstoppable, and had a few games were they struggled, Barca 10/11 was different, even without the treble.
It often comes down to a matter of opinion. I honestly preferred watching the 2015 team over the 2011 team. The 2015 team had me on the absolute edge of my seat every time we played football, I’ve never really experienced that with any other team.

But objectively speaking, if they faced each other, you are right that the 2011 team would likely win. Xavi and a younger Iniesta would make the difference.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It often comes down to a matter of opinion. I honestly preferred watching the 2015 team over the 2011 team. The 2015 team had me on the absolute edge of my seat every time we played football, I’ve never really experienced that with any other team.

But objectively speaking, if they faced each other, you are right that the 2011 team would likely win. Xavi and a younger Iniesta would make the difference.
Maybe 2015 was more entertaining, but 2011 would never let you back into a game once they took control, it was over.

Personally, i think 2015 Barca was a bit overrated, their final against Juventus was good, but could have gone the other way, they needed a late header against Valencia to seal the league(sort of), i'm confident we would have won the league that season had Modric not gotten that big injury.

Yes, they killed most teams on the scoresheet, but they never gave me this "invincible"-feeling that Peps Barcelona had.

10/11 Barcelona is ahead and its not even a hard decision for me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
"Barcelona in '15 faced lesser teams"

Makes no sense, not even as a twisted narrative... :lol:
City, PSG, Bayern, Juventus were lesser opponents than PSG, Chelsea, City, Liverpool. Other than Bayern, none of those other sides were comparable

Throw in the fact PSG were missing all of Zlatan, Verratti and Thiago Silva, and Bayern were without like half the team...