Atletico Underdogs - 2014

Real Madrid La Decima - 2014

Barcelona Messi/Suarez/Neymar - 2015

Real Madrid 3-peat - 2016-2018

Juventus x9 Serie As - 2011-2020

Man City Back-to-Back Titles - 2017-2019

Van Dijk's Liverpool - 2018-2020

RooneyLegend

Overall club of the decade should be Barca, single season best is the 13 Bayern side.

Robertd0803

Overall club of the decade should be Barca, single season best is the 13 Bayern side.
Great thread.

Inter 2010 are my pick.

No Leicester?

Atletico 2014 deserve a shout for breaking the Real/Barca monopoly.

Personally I wouldnt include Madrid 2014 simply because they were nowhere in the league if I remember right and seconds away from losing the final.

Barca 2011 are probably the best footballing team although you could spend all day debating on 2011 vs MSN team.

Juve had no competition really did they?

Man City and Liverpool can simply feck off.

Reluctantly give it to Barcelona 2011, though I think they were better still in 2009. The 2010s weren't a great period really.

Gandalf

Madrid 3-peat out of those choices. Not been done before, probably won't happen again and a it was a fellow Welshman wot won it with the best CL final goal ever which simultaneously destroyed the team because his manager hated him so much.

RedDevil@84

If we include trophies, then Real Madrid wins it. Winning 4 CLs in the same decade is insane.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
La Decima Madrid for sure, Ronaldo at his absolute peak is the greatest of all time.

Barca 2011 was actually beatable, but I think we set up very poorly against them, Arsenal had the right idea against them and almost knocked them out.

RedDevil@84

Unless I am understanding the OP incorrectly, how can anyone be better than Real winning 4 CLs and 3 La Ligas in a single decade? Barca 2011 is just one year of achievement.

Traub

In a pure one-off game, it has to be the Barcelona 2011 team. In terms of team, it should be the 3-peat.

Jaae

Not ITK
Great thread.

Inter 2010 are my pick.

No Leicester?

Atletico 2014 deserve a shout for breaking the Real/Barca monopoly.

Personally I wouldnt include Madrid 2014 simply because they were nowhere in the league if I remember right and seconds away from losing the final.

Barca 2011 are probably the best footballing team although you could spend all day debating on 2011 vs MSN team.

Juve had no competition really did they?

Man City and Liverpool can simply feck off.
Leicester's title win was a great achievement, but labelling them a great side would be a stretch. It was a really poor League that year and they were heading for relegation the following year until Ranieri's sacking, although they had lost Kante by that time.

I included 2014 Madrid as it was effectively the nucleus of what would become their 3peat side. It was the first season for their BBC attack which was a brilliant rival for Barcelona's MSN. Also 2014 was arguably Ronaldo's peak as a player.

Juve - 9 titles in a row in incredible however way you look at it, plus they did make a couple of CL finals in that time too.

I genuinely think those City and Liverpool teams were great sides. Their points totals in the League for consecutive season were stunning. Plus Liverpool made back-to-back CL finals too which is a great achievement. But yeah, feck them still.

caid

I think i'd say Bayern if that team wasn't so short lived. Guardiola changed it a lot very quickly. 2011 Barca are a good shout but i cant help seeing them as a faded, weaker version of the 09 team.
Real Madrid i'd say. They were a great team but their competitiveness and just always finding a way to win big matches was really impressive. A lot of big game players

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Depends what the question is - best season or best across the decade?

Jaae

Not ITK
Reluctantly give it to Barcelona 2011, though I think they were better still in 2009. The 2010s weren't a great period really.
I think for English football it was a poor decade, particularly the pre-2016. On the whole I'd say the quality of teams at the latter stages of the CL was higher than at any other decade.

It will be defined as Messi v. Ronaldo in the history books, leading to Madrid and Barcelona's head to head for dominance. I'd honestly say this decade will be remembered as a golden era for club football in years to come.

Jaae

Not ITK
Unless I am understanding the OP incorrectly, how can anyone be better than Real winning 4 CLs and 3 La Ligas in a single decade? Barca 2011 is just one year of achievement.
I was referring to what each individual team achieved at that point in the decade, rather than collectively over the course of the decade.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I´d say Madrid la décima and Madrid 3-peat are the same, the "4 of 5", but in this case I vote 3-peat Madrid

Eddy_JukeZ

Pep's Barcelona in 2011 is the best club side of all time for me.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Barca 2011 is basically the meme you post when you tease someone for playing a especially good team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
For best side in a season I'd go Barca 2011 even though they were on the wane, that for me was the best team in recent history and then I'd probably go for that Liverpool side :nervous: which was unplayable really.

Of the decade it has to be Real Madrid, pretty easily.

Caesar2290

Has to be Bayern 2013. The way they dismantled that Barca side was nothing short of breathtaking. That tie for me pretty much sparred the whole footballing world from adopting the tiki-taka nonsense. Thank feck for that.

Dr. StrangeHate

Barca 2011. Although if we just consider domestic league, that City 100 point season is pretty special in just the manner of dominance and the league they did it in.

RooneyLegend

Pep's Barcelona in 2011 is the best club side of all time for me.
I think alot of United fans feel that way because of the way they dismantled us in the final but our side was bang average for a finalist. They played Madrid 4 times at the end of the season and won once, lost once and drew the other 2. I don't even wanna get into the Arsenal debacle.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Barcelona 2011. Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets at their peak with Messi dropping into midfield from the false #9 position. When they were in the groove it was both mesmerising and terrifying to watch.

I remember their 5-0 win over Madrid. There were plenty of opportunities for quick switches, which Barcelona continually ignored. It was a bit annoying to watch. You'd see Alves or Abidal in space and, as a United fan I was expecting them to play the crossfield like Beckham or Scholes. Instead they insisted on slowly working it side to side, playing their game, grinding the opponent down. Barcelona 2009 had more individual quality but Barcelona 2011 was the perfect example of Pep's football idea.

The greatest strength of that team is they made football boring. When they were at it they just sucked opponents into their rhythm, and games ended entirely predictably with Barcelona winning. It was both impressive and irritating to watch. As a unit working together I have never seen anything like it. Felt like watching ants at work.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think alot of United fans feel that way because of the way they dismantled us in the final but our side was bang average for a finalist. They played Madrid 4 times at the end of the season and won once, lost once and drew the other 2. I don't even wanna get into the Arsenal debacle.
They also dismantled Real in the league more than they dismantled us. A side that was clearly better than us.

I think for English football it was a poor decade, particularly the pre-2016. On the whole I'd say the quality of teams at the latter stages of the CL was higher than at any other decade.

It will be defined as Messi v. Ronaldo in the history books, leading to Madrid and Barcelona's head to head for dominance. I'd honestly say this decade will be remembered as a golden era for club football in years to come.
I don't know, I think Messi v Ronaldo overshadowed it. Take those two out and the teams were fairly average.

Cloud7

Barcelona 2011. I feel like that team represented Pep's vision for a team more than their 2009 team did. The way that 2011 team played was something else.

Most entertaining of all the teams on this list for me as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
2011 Barca were from a different planet.

I remember their 5-0 win over Madrid. There were plenty of opportunities for quick switches, which Barcelona continually ignored. It was a bit annoying to watch. You'd see Alves or Abidal in space and, as a United fan I was expecting them to play the crossfield like Beckham or Scholes. Instead they insisted on slowly working it side to side, playing their game, grinding the opponent down. Barcelona 2009 had more individual quality but Barcelona 2011 was the perfect example of Pep's football idea.
The full buildup to the second goal in that game is an amazing example. Quick passes across midfield, even though all the Madrid players are blocking midfield, even though Villa is free on the left. When it doesn't work out, go back, slow passes, then quick passes, redo the whole thing, create the spare man again ...

Starts at 10:10 here, ends at 12:06

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Then Mou promised it wouldn't happen again, and it didn't.
Not to that extent, but I thought Barcelona made them look 2nd rate in the Champions League.

Jose had to resort to use Pepe in midfield to man mark Messi. They had like sub 30% possession at the Bernabeu even before the Pepe red.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Inter 2010 or Bayern 2013 if you have to pick one side. Both were solid and could play good football. Barca 2011 weren't as good as Barca 2009 and Arsenal probably should've beaten them if it were not for the ref sending off RVP. Additionally, Utd set up wrong in the CL final and played into their hands.

If you go for team of the decade, then it is Real hands down, 3-peat/4 out of 5 CL's is an amazing achievement.

Eddy_JukeZ

Inter 2010 or Bayern 2013 if you have to pick one side. Both were solid and could play good football. Barca 2011 weren't as good as Barca 2009 and Arsenal probably should've beaten them if it were not for the ref sending off RVP. Additionally, Utd set up wrong in the CL final and played into their hands.

If you go for team of the decade, then it is Real hands down, 3-peat/4 out of 5 CL's is an amazing achievement.
Why exactly? They accumulated more points in 2011 vs a tougher Real Madrid side and had more impressive performances vs top sides. Their 2011 side also had an arguable peak Messi at the false 9.

Arsenal that game vs Barcelona had 0 shots all game. Never mind shots on target, 0 shots. They were getting destroyed. This idea that they were probably going to win if RVP didn't get sent off is conjecture.