Greatest Dribbler of All Time

I didn't see Best at his peak and the issue of pitches (a lot harder to dribble on) and what sort of tackles were allowed confuses thing but for me, still got to be Messi. Acceleration, balance, control and the feints are incredible.
The pitches make it much harder to judge across eras. You look at players like Garrincha and Best and you write them off because the touches look so heavy compared to the close control of modern players, but anyone who has ever played on a crap surface with a rubbish ball knows thats because that's how you have to do it. You have to get the ball out of your feet. Messi could not dribble with the same style on those pitches, he would have to change his game dramatically.

Danny Roberts

The pitches make it much harder to judge across eras. You look at players like Garrincha and Best and you write them off because the touches look so heavy compared to the close control of modern players, but anyone who has ever played on a crap surface with a rubbish ball knows thats because that's how you have to do it. Messi could not dribble with the same style on those pitches, he would have to change his game dramatically.
And you see the tackles coming in on Best. He rides them but would have looked even better under modern laws/interpretations.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And you see the tackles coming in on Best. He rides them but would have looked even better under modern laws/interpretations.
On the flipside, you can't take on defenses in the modern game like they did in the past. The tactics played were completely different, defenses nowadays are better organized and offer attackers less space to dribble into. All those guys you see in Best, Pele, Garrincha videos are also very quick to go into tackles which is what dribblers love. You don't want these defenders who stay on their feed and track you in order to slow you down and get a second or third guy to corner you. You rarely saw this in the early stages of football where every defender flew into tackles trying to steal the ball immediately.

It all evens out, somehow. Messi would've been a completely different player adjusted to the conditions in the 50's to 70's just like Best, Garrincha or Pele would profit from modern conditions and cope better with the higher physical, tactical and technical demands.

MalcolmTucker

Messi has tremendous close control, but put him on a muddy and uneven pitch and he struggles bigtime. Argentina played a friendly against Romania in 2014 and Messi was non-existent. When he was questioned about his poor performance by the media after the match, he blamed the playing conditions.
Really struggled here

And still managed to show mastery of the ball on a waterlogged pitch

the chameleon

In dribbling debate. You have the usual suspects. I would also give Pierre Littbarski an honourable mention (especially if you're talking PURE dribbling).

AndyJ1985

From the videos I've seen George Best looks like he was one hell of a dribbler, and he done it on awful pitches and with defenders trying to hack him down.

But in terms of players I've seen during my lifetime, Messi's dribbling and close control is unmatched. The ball looks like it's glued to his feet at times.

Shinjch

It's Messi. Complete mastery of the ball. Doesn't need tricks because his dribbling and close control is so good to go with his sharp body movements.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Some of the posts in this thread. :lol: Some people just love to be different and controversial.

From about 09-13, Messi was on a completely different level than anyone who's ever kicked a ball.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It's Messi. Complete mastery of the ball. Doesn't need tricks because his dribbling and close control is so good to go with his sharp body movements.
Also the ball is totally glued to his feet when dribbling, every touch is inch perfect it's incredible how good his touch is

IFC 1905

Before we answer, we must define what dribbling means, cause I see some folks don't actually understand. Dribbling means getting past defenders, regardless of the method one uses. Some use fancy tricks, others keep it simple, some use body feints, other use their athletic qualities. In the end all that matters is the end result, whether you get past opponents or not, not the way in which you do it.

Second of all, we must also take into consideration the number of players one gets past. It's one thing to be able to get past 1 or 2 opponents, it's a whole different ball game when you get past 4 or 5. For instance, as great as Zidane was, he usually got by 1 defender, so he's not exactly among the all time greats when it comes to dribbling.

Third aspect is the difficulty of comparing players from different eras, like some other members pointed out. IMO it's easier to get past opponents nowadays for a top player due to the increased protection he gets from the refs, plus better pitches and equipment.

As good as Messi and CR7 are, they're vastly overrated. They are surrounded by world class players who play for them at their club teams, and the Spanish league isn't exactly famous for defending, so it's not that hard to get the records.
I'm willing to bet they would spend more time on the sidelines than they would on the pitch due to injuries in they were to play in the 80's and 90's, especially in Serie A or Premier League.

Messi has tremendous close control, but put him on a muddy and uneven pitch and he struggles bigtime. Argentina played a friendly against Romania in 2014 and Messi was non-existent. When he was questioned about his poor performance by the media after the match, he blamed the playing conditions.

With those things in mind, I'd have to give the edge to the old legends.

I haven't watched the likes of Pele, Best, Garrincha, Cruyff or Maradona live. There are youtube highlights and they pretty much cover Maradona and Cruyff's career, not so much for the other 3. From the few footage that I've seen though, Garrincha seems vastly overrated. Pele and G. Best look very good, shame only a small part of their career was filmed.

Anyway, given what I've seen, both on film and live, my top 5 would have to be: Maradona, Ronaldo Fenomeno, Pele, Best and Messi. Messi only gets last place cause he has it easier, I don't think he could have replicated his feats in previous eras, due to the ferocity of defenders, and his frailty.

I also have to explain why Ronaldinho didn't make the cut. Although he was a good dribbler himself and a joy to watch with his fancy tricks, he wasn't as effective as these 5.

And we're debating here who the best dribblers were, not who were the best to look at.

Speaking about La Liga, I want to let you know this

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Stanley Matthews “the wizard of dribble”
Georgie Best
Paddy McCourt
Ronaldo Lima

Couple of players there before stats became such a thing. It’s a big boast to say Messi is the bestest at it of all time - I don’t really agree, it’s just hard to argue otherwise due to lack of proof available

Skorenzy

There's plenty of games where he's performed outstandingly on muddy, uneven and also waterlogged pitches. Even in the example you cite, perhaps his performance wasn't great but it's hard to see any issues with his dribbling:

Lebo

On the ground R9. In the air R10.

Not to go into a lot of poetry but R9 is the master at this. The guy would just turn with a defender at his back like the defender he isn't even there. One poster mentioned how he inspired dribbling in a lot of young kids and that's true.

With Messi he is brilliant at it but too similar almost like Robben. Not to say that's a bad thing or he never does other things but if you are looking at variety of dribbling to perfection then he isn't your guy.

Bogdannn

There's plenty of games where he's performed outstandingly on muddy, uneven and also waterlogged pitches. Even in the example you cite, perhaps his performance wasn't great but it's hard to see any issues with his dribbling:
This isn't exactly breathtaking stuff, is it ?!? And bear in mind these are his best moments from the entire game, yet he still has some trouble and even slips a few times.
And even though the pitch was bad by modern day standards, it's still miles above most of the pitches the likes of Pele, Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Ronaldo played on.

Messi is a great talent and player, there is no denying that, but I will always be more impressed by what the legends I mentioned did, given the conditions they performed on and the rough tackles they faced.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have never quite understood the point of a step over.
It puts the defender off balance as when you see the first initial movement, you think the attacker is about to run passed you on that side.

As the defender starts to lean towards that side, you then change direction and attack the other side which gains you the momentum/advantage.

Obviously the modern way of doing 3/4/5 in a row just defeats the point, the most effective way is just 1/2 quick fakes.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It puts the defender off balance as when you see the first initial movement, you think the attacker is about to run passed you on that side.

As the defender starts to lean towards that side, you then change direction and attack the other side which gains you the momentum/advantage.

Obviously the modern way of doing 3/4/5 in a row just defeats the point, the most effective way is just 1/2 quick fakes.
I guess that's what I had in mind with my post.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

In dribbling debate. You have the usual suspects. I would also give Pierre Littbarski an honourable mention (especially if you're talking PURE dribbling).
Great call, his speed and execution of the "croqueta" or whatever its become known as now makes Iniesta and to a lesser extent Laudrup look slow and telegraphed.

Olaf Thon was a really good dribbler too. Germany were so stacked in quality and stylistically varied in midfield back around the late 80s/early 90s, though they didn't stick to a system to really dominate with it to the extent the Spanish later managed. Hardly anybody even mentions somebody as good as Uwe Bein from that era anymore and he could playmake as well as almost anyone at the time.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Ronaldinho is the best I've seen. Of the older players Garrincha could be in with a shout.

Bogdannn

Ronaldinho is the best I've seen. Of the older players Garrincha could be in with a shout.
Ronaldinho was definitely the most flashy and/or skilled, but he wasn't the most effective.
Ronaldo Fenomeno was the best combination of speed, strength and skill, he was very effective and flashy at the same time.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
To not name the obvious ones I'll name a few former or current Bundesliga players

Marek Heinz (few years back I thought he would conquer Europe! :-D)
Ousmane Dembele
Marco Reus
Naby Keita
Serge Gnabry
Julian Brandt (future ballon d'or winner)

honorary mention:
Professor Farnsworth

Davs

I've never once seen a player dribble with his head. Everybody's answer in this thread needs to be the phenomenon from 11 years ago - Kerlon The Seal.

If you haven't heard of him, check this out;

tomaldinho1

Jay-Jay Okocha the most fun

Ronaldinho in those 2-3 peak seasons was the best I have ever seen. Built like Ronaldo, feet like Messi, smile like Rob Beckett and a lid like Melchiot...what's not to love