Greatest goal creators

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
We have had debates on the greatest AMs or Support strikers as such but was wondering how people rank them based purely on their goal creating ability.

Forget everything about Di Stefano's all round game, ignore all of Pele's goals and Maradona's dribbling ability. Just rank them based purely on their goal/chance creating ability.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Excluding the goals that they score themselves, right?

harms

Staff
That's a tough one, it's certainly worth thinking over.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
De Bruyne assist record is pretty amazing.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I would go for Johan Cruyff and Zico.

Others that come to mind on first thinking are Rivera, Laudrup, Xavi, DeBruyne... Young Fabregas was something else in that regard also.

GodShaveTheQueen

I probably would place Platini quite high in my list as compared to his general AM ranking

Himannv

Hard to argue against Messi's numbers. Even if you take away his goals, he's still made more assists than any player in history. KDB is obviously a good shout as well.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Riquelme. Just strolled around scratching his balls and creating chances when he felt like it.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
That's hard one it has a lot.

Johann Cryuff
74 had the most number key passes in world cup,in clubs he showed a lot of creator role especially during FC Barcelona days.
Messi-perfect attacker
De Bryune
-arguably one of the best passers in 10 years
Zico-the best through ball passers that I've ever seen in my life.
Platini-one of the best long passers
Prime Xavi-he maybe a bit system player but the Barcelona's platfrom made him shine brightest
Michael Laudrup-through ball master
Ronaldinho
Diego Maradona-the greatest all around passers
Raymond Kopa
Gianni Rivera-my favourite,In my country webboard(soccersuck),I use him as a profile picture.
Peak Ozil can be in this list too.
Pele

Totti could be on this list too.

Greatest goalcreators often come from AM/SS so deep lying playmaker like Pirlo,L.Suarez MIramontes ,Didi and Gerson or b2b like Mazopust/Coluna are a bit unfortunately in term of direct goal creators.

Not the best one but this guy is my another favourite-Deyna

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A couple of modern era graphs to throw into the mix:

(up till 2018)

• Data will naturally favour players whose careers have run over the last 15 years.
  • Ozil and De Bruyne stand out.

Hard to argue against Messi's numbers. Even if you take away his goals, he's still made more assists than any player in history. KDB is obviously a good shout as well.
Interestingly spotted on Twitter recently that some guys have attempted to work out how many assists some of the early GOATs have. No doubt the overall figures will have been extrapolated based on the sample of what they can source, but they are probably a reasonable estimation given the goals these guys scored, their dual creative/finisher roles, and the geeky dedication to the research.

There will be others too. Giggs for example has 310 assists so I imagine other great providers could have racked up similar or even better numbers.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
From the non mentioned lot there are two that are missing and IMO both belong to the Elite tier when we talk strictly about goal creation - Bergkamp and Guti.
Also, Marcelo needs a shout, him and Alves really changed the game when it comes to the passing ability from the fullback position.

harms

Staff
Laudrup is probably the most creative player that I’ve seen. He stands out from most of the competition as one of the least selfish players around — not that the rest were exceptionally greedy but I don’t get the feeling that they would be happier to pass the ball in front of the goal of they’ve had a great chance of scoring (a la Guti -> Benzema).
Rivera, Bochini, Özil, Guti all go into the same category.

Messi’s numbers are simply too ridiculous not to include him & De Bruyne gets into the long list as well.

As for Platini — I have a feeling that, unlike Zico or Messi, for example, he spent too much time dictating the game from the deep, which naturally meant that he wasn’t creating quite as many chances — even though he could always create a goal from nothing by sending a ridiculous long ball with unnatural accuracy towards someone like Boniek. And when he came into the box it was mostly to finish the move himself, appearing out of nowhere. He’s still up there with the best, don’t get me wrong, but I’d probably put him lower than Zico & Maradona simply because he had spent less time in the final third.

It’s probably a good time to mention that I consider Platini & Xavi to be the best passers of the ball in history when we combine all of the different aspects of that skill.

Speaking of — it wasn’t Xavi’s main job, but at his peak didn’t he have a season with 29 assists? I wonder if any player ever had a better one? There are probably a couple, but still, it’s mind blowing.

Zico is somewhere close to Messi in terms of the overall productivity & the combination of goals & assists, albeit while playing in a weaker league. Maradona was stupidly good at this, probably the most versatile assist-maker of all-time, he’s had so many different ways to create a goal.

Pelé wouldn’t be at the very top, but probably in the top-10. His first instinct was always to score, but boy could he pass!
  1. Laudrup
  2. Messi
  3. Zico
  4. Maradona
  5. Platini
  6. Netzer
  7. Xavi
  8. Cruyff
  9. Kopa
  10. Pelé
Notable mentions: Rivera, Bochini, De Bruyne, Totti
By the way, here’s a good article for Totti. They reckon that he’s made about 201 assists for Roma.
https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2019/9/21/20876923/every-assist-totti-ever-made-with-roma

Šjor Bepo

One more thing, in last 2 years cca im fairly certain Thomas Muller created more goals then anyone bar maybe Messi. Dont have any stats to prove it but would love it if someone could find the numbers.

harms

Staff
Bergkamp is a great shout, thought of him originally. One of the best through-ball passers ever.

Puskás was brilliant at passing the ball & considering the teams that he’s played for it’s not that unlikely that he’d have 300+ assists in his career.

harms

Staff
One more thing, in last 2 years cca im fairly certain Thomas Muller created more goals then anyone bar maybe Messi. Dont have any stats to prove it but would love it if someone could find the numbers.
Probably. From transfermarkt — 26 assists in 19/20, 24 assists in 20/21, already 7 in this one. Considering that De Bruyne had injury issues…

harms

Staff
Also, Baggio would probably be quite productive, I’d imagine that he wouldn’t be that far of Totti’s 200.

Šjor Bepo

Probably. From transfermarkt — 26 assists in 19/20, 24 assists in 20/21, already 7 in this one. Considering that De Bruyne had injury issues…
most underrated player in football history. Any system, any formation, any position - you ask he will deliver.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Speaking of — it wasn’t Xavi’s main job, but at his peak didn’t he have a season with 29 assists? I wonder if any player ever had a better one? There are probably a couple, but still, it’s mind blowing.
Nothing recorded as better as far as I’m aware. Apparently Cruyff and Pele have also hit 29 in a season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Brian McClair, obviously.

McClair - Cantona - Lob against Sunderland
McClair- Beckham- half-way line goal against Wimbledon.

harms

Staff
Brian McClair, obviously.

McClair - Cantona - Lob against Sunderland
McClair- Beckham- half-way line goal against Wimbledon.
Cantona & Beckham were merely the vessels for his vision :drool:

GodShaveTheQueen

Its difficult or even impossible to be certain where they fall but the two 50's guys that can be in contention - Di Stefano and Didi

Fair to assume Didi would have been high in the list if his career was documented.

I guess Zidane/Charlton don't belong in the top 10 argument at all.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Cruyff.

Might not have been as good a 'pure passer', both long as short, as some of the names mentioned above, but his versatility and tactical intelligence meant that he was at ease and capable of fashioning out chances in more phases of play, than most other conventional playmakers.

The others had their fortes and an element of predictability when it came to their style of passing, and settings and positions which they preferred whilst making that decisive contribution. Cruyff was the most well rounded and the most unpredictable of the lot imo, without necessarily being the greatest in a single aspect, but being brilliant enough in just about all of them. Cruyff just about nicks it for me as the complete package.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We have had debates on the greatest AMs or Support strikers as such but was wondering how people rank them based purely on their goal creating ability.

Forget everything about Di Stefano's all round game, ignore all of Pele's goals and Maradona's dribbling ability. Just rank them based purely on their goal/chance creating ability.
Quite hard to disentangle that given his dribbling ability is what created so many chances for others.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Cruyff.

Might not have been as good a 'pure passer', both long as short, as some of the names mentioned above, but his versatility and tactical intelligence meant that he was at ease and capable of fashioning out chances in more phases of play, than most other conventional playmakers.

The others had their fortes and an element of predictability when it came to their style of passing, and settings and positions which they preferred whilst making that decisive contribution. Cruyff was the most well rounded and the most unpredictable of the lot imo, without necessarily being the greatest in a single aspect, but being brilliant enough in just about all of them. Cruyff just about nicks it for me as the complete package.
Yep, that's what I meant when I said Cruyff. Being a creator is not only about passing, but also movement, drawing your opponent, opening the space for others, etc. Cruyff was the only one who had it all on the highest possible level.

The only one who comes close in terms of engineering the whole attack and imposing his will on the opposition is Xavi. Albeit, in a bit different manner then Cruyff, but both were manipulators on the field.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Cruyff number one for me.
The rest of the top 5 would be Zico, Platini, Laudrup and Xavi. Honorable mention to my man Socrates.

After reading the thread I obviously forgot some big mentions: Maradona, Messi, Bergkamp also clearly in the top 10 and probably Messi deserves top 3

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Zidane, if it's based on creating goals alone. The baldie is just genius.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
31 assists in all competitions in 2008/09 according to transfermarkt. Juan Mata actually surpassed that with 35 assists for Chelsea in 2012/13. He did play an unusual amount of matches and minutes (65 and nearly 5000 respectively) but that's a prodigious number nonetheless.

Enigma_87

You know who
Platini is the best in terms of being mainly a creator and secondary a goalscorer(his record of course isn't too shabby). Laudrup of course falls in that category too, a fantastic eye for a pass.

GodShaveTheQueen

There will be others too. Giggs for example has 310 assists so I imagine other great providers could have racked up similar or even better numbers.
I feel bad for Diego in this regard to be honest. One watch at his passing compilations and we can see his numbers should have been untouchable if not for so many chances missed by mediocrity around him

harms

Staff
I guess Zidane/Charlton don't belong in the top 10 argument at all.
Yeah. I love Sir Bobby to bits but in terms of pure creativity/assists he is not in the same league as the likes of Laudrup, Messi etc.

Zidane is certainly closer to them but probably not close enough to get a place in top-10.

harms

Staff
Thinking back on it I agree with the guys on Cruyff — I’d probably not put him as the best ever, but placing him as a #8 was a bit too harsh.

harms

Staff
I feel bad for Diego in this regard to be honest. One watch at his passing compilations and we can see his numbers should have been untouchable if not for so many chances missed by mediocrity around him

He is probably the most creative out of all of the final third passers. The sheer variety of the ways that he can get the ball to a goalscorer is just unbelievable. Zico, Laudrup, Ronaldinho (not nearly as consistent though) aren’t far behind, but in that particular aspect Diego is the #1 for me. Pelé, Didi and Rivelino also deserve a shout out.

That’s probably not surprising since he’s the most skilled manipulator of the ball that ever existed.

harms

Staff
31 assists in all competitions in 2008/09 according to transfermarkt. Juan Mata actually surpassed that with 35 assists for Chelsea in 2012/13. He did play an unusual amount of matches and minutes (65 and nearly 5000 respectively) but that's a prodigious number nonetheless.
Forgot about that Mata’s season. It’s interesting how many of those came from free kicks and corners but that’s a mind-blowing numbers whatever the context is. Such a shame that he didn’t replicate that level after that :(

GodShaveTheQueen

He is probably the most creative out of all of the final third passers. The sheer variety of the ways that he can get the ball to a goalscorer is just unbelievable. Zico, Laudrup, Ronaldinho (not nearly as consistent though) aren’t far behind, but in that particular aspect Diego is the #1 for me. Pelé, Didi and Rivelino also deserve a shout out.

That’s probably not surprising since he’s the most skilled manipulator of the ball that ever existed.
Am really curious as to where you place Di Stefano here. I have probably seen everything available of him and still can't make up my mind. Surely not top 5 in my books obviously. Maybe falls in the Charlton territory

harms

Staff
Am really curious as to where you place Di Stefano here. I have probably seen everything available of him and still can't make up my mind. Surely not top 5 in my books obviously. Maybe falls in the Charlton territory
I'd put him slightly ahead of Charlton, I feel (again, after binging through all of those United/England games of 60's/70's lately) that Charlton lack a bit in variety (compared to the names mentioned here regularly, not to a regular footballer obviously) when he had the ball in front of the box. His shooting was obviously elite (one of the greatest ever in fact), his long passing from deeper areas was elite, his through-balls were good, but he rarely did something completely out of the box. Di Stefano, unlike him, had all sorts of flicks and creative passes in his arsenal.

But generally both were more interested/involved in earlier stages of build up than your usual number 10 and only a very, very few that did had also been able to keep up with regular fantasista's output — Platini, Xavi... Cruyff maybe?