Greatest mens tennis player of all time

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't watch or follow tennis but anyone favouring anybody other than Federer are risking their life if they come across my mother, she'll beat the crap out of you for even thinking it :lol:

saivet

I am a huge Nadal fan but it is not even up for debate in my opinion. Djokovic is the GOAT.
Same, huge Nadal fan but think Djokvic is/has been the greatest player for a while now. Would love for Rafa to stay fit and have a good crack at the other slams this year, but even if he does go back ahead in the race, I think Djokovic should reach 25.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Same, huge Nadal fan but think Djokvic is/has been the greatest player for a while now. Would love for Rafa to stay fit and have a good crack at the other slams this year, but even if he does go back ahead in the race, I think Djokovic should reach 25.
when Rafa was at 18 and with the injuries. I was begging for just 1 or 2 more. I would have bitten your hands off for 22 GS. I am satisfied with his career and have no more expectations. It has been a glorious ride.

Skills

Snitch
Djokovic is mentally a freak. I've never seen a player in any sport, who can just lock it in like he does and overpower his opponents with pure fight and resilience.

Nadal's a great fighter himself, but against Djokovic he's never been comfortable in his own head since 2011. If that 2011 Miami Open final went a different way, I wonder how the next 12 years of this sport would've shaped up.

Zen

Can't wait until Djokovic actually finally wins the Calendar Slam aged 40. Dude's easily going to truly push towards 30.... which is bonkers. Like insanely bonkers, I mean having 3 players at 20-22-22 is bonkers, but one looking like he can still win fairly easily for a couple years yet on top, just absurd, more so than what Brady does in NFL.

saivet

when Rafa was at 18 and with the injuries. I was begging for just 1 or 2 more. I would have bitten your hands off for 22 GS. I am satisfied with his career and have no more expectations. It has been a glorious ride.
Oh yeah, more than satisfied would just be nice for one more :D

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To be honest I thought Djokovic was already greater than Nadal when he trailed him in the grand slam title ‘race’. The fact that he held the 5 biggest tournaments at the same time in June 2016, has won a record equalling 6 YEC titles, has won record number of masters series events including each of the 9 tournaments at least twice, and holds the records for the most weeks spent and most years finished as world no. 1 etc., were more than enough to offset Nadal’s advantages IMO. With them equal in the grand slam count now, it’s a pretty clear lead for Djokovic.

The obsession with the grand slam title count and increased prevalence the ‘only slams matter’ has been disastrous for tennis though (I think Sampras deserves a lot of blame for that) - see the number of struggling regular ATP and WTA tour events for proof of that. Given that grand slam counting wasn’t a big deal before the 90s, I like to avoid comparing players like Laver and Borg with players from Sampras / Agassi onwards.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
To be honest I thought Djokovic was already greater than Nadal when he trailed him in the grand slam title ‘race’. The facts that he held the 5 biggest tournaments at the same time in June 2016, has won a record equalling 6 YEC titles, has won record number of masters series events including each of the 9 tournaments at least twice, and holds the records for the most weeks spent and most years finished as world no. 1 etc., more than enough to offset Nadal’s advantages. With them equal in the grand slam count now, it’s a pretty clear lead for Djokovic though.

The obsession with the grand slam title count and increased prevalence the ‘only slams matter’ has been disastrous for tennis though (I think Sampras deserves a lot of blame for that) - see the number of struggling regular ATP and WTA tour events for proof of that.
That's kind of like football, where the Champions League is really the only one that matters

Zen

That's kind of like football, where the Champions League is really the only one that matters
But it's not, unless you're Ronaldo or his mad fanbase. Neutrals, not at all.

He's also wrong on casually blaming Sampras too, dude didn't even care about 2 Slams(I mean obviously he did, but you know, you get the point), Federer started it, totally unintentionally, and he brought major attention to the other 2 majors that weren't taken overly seriously before him, it used to be Wimbledon-US minor gap French massive gap Australian. Not sure how it's a bad thing that allure and prestige has been brought to all 4 Slams either.... the Year End tournament was once the unofficial third slam, despite there actually being a 3rd and 4th slam :lol:

It's just a modern fanbase thing. Nothing to do with the players.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
But it's not, unless you're Ronaldo or his mad fanbase. Neutrals, not at all.

He's also wrong on casually blaming Sampras too, dude didn't even care about 2 Slams(I mean obviously he did, but you know, you get the point), Federer started it, totally unintentionally, and he brought major attention to the other 2 majors that weren't taken overly seriously before him, it used to be Wimbledon-US minor gap French massive gap Australian. Not sure how it's a bad thing that allure and prestige has been brought to all 4 Slams either.... the Year End tournament was once the unofficial third slam, despite there actually being a 3rd and 4th slam :lol:

It's just a modern fanbase thing. Nothing to do with the players.
Not going to comment on the tennis aspect but I think you're wrong on the CL bit, Ronaldo and his fanboys aside, there are many Man United fans who think a top 4 finish to qualify for the CL is more important than winning any of the other trophies they are still competing in - I'm not one of them though!

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Fed could lose pretty much all the meaningful records soon. Novak will hold all time record at AO and Nadal at FO, but Fed will have to share his if Novak wins Wimbledon, with both having 8 titles in that case. they already share tour finals record as well. the idea he will be surpassed one day sounded crazy in past, but here we are. he will have the worst case in this debate.
Apart from the fact that he was by far the best to watch and will be remembered the most fondly, as all sporting participants of great skill and artistry are.

Andy_Cole

People need to separate global appeal or popularity to the game. No doubt Fed and Nadal have the first. But it was Djokovic who spoilt the party of Nadal vs Federer to a point he went in to dominate. Mentality beast.

surf

Novax. The best and most complete match player I've seen. He could have won even more if he made smarter off-the-court decisions. (I said Federer in post 69 in 2012, but he has been overtaken since then.) :)

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Does most GS wins automatically equal GOAT for most? It doesn’t for me at least but it makes the arguments against him a lot tougher unfortunately.

Such a shame how the Alcaraz match went down.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Let's hope the jinx works, Samid :lol:

Care_de_Bobo

He's clearly the greatest and that's been obvious for years now. Federer will always be my favourite though. It was just a better time to be a tennis fan when he broke through as there were still different styles evident on the tour and more characters with personalities you actually enjoyed seeing do well.

Must be a good time for Serbian sports fans anyway. Potentially seeing Novak beat the slam record and the real MVP in the NBA getting his first ring in the space of two weeks must be pretty special.

Bole Top

Does most GS wins automatically equal GOAT for most?
in Novak's case, he will also have the most masters titles and winning records against his biggest rivals, as well as most world tour finals titles. so it's not the case of him just having the most GS titles, everything else is going his way as well. you can't hold all the major records and not be the greatest.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this and i think it’s kevin de bruyne.

wr8_utd

:'(
Presume this match isn’t taking place on clay? Grass I think you have a good case that’s he’s the greatest.
If there's anyone who could neutralize Sampras' serve and style of play, it would probably be Novak. Although I didn't really all that much of Sampras at his peak and have had to rely more on past videos, I think at both their peaks, Federer would have been a superior grass player to Sampras as well.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
in Novak's case, he will also have the most masters titles and winning records against his biggest rivals, as well as most world tour finals titles. so it's not the case of him just having the most GS titles, everything else is going his way as well. you can't hold all the major records and not be the greatest.
Yes you can.

Kazi

Federer fans resetting the goal posts as usual.. “playing style” :lol:

Djokovic so sooooo clear

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Federer fans resetting the goal posts as usual.. “playing style” :lol:

Djokovic so sooooo clear
Laugh all you want but it's a spectator sport. They don't play behind closed doors. People like artistry. If you like grinders, fine. I was a McEnroe over Lendl guy and I'm a Federer over Novak guy. Will always be thus.

Baneofthegame

Not really into the GOAT debate as intensely as some, but do people think Nadal would of won a lot more without the injuries?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
As an aside although he's not in the GOAT conversation obviously what Andy Murray has achieved while up against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and others goes far too much under the radar.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
As an aside although he's not in the GOAT conversation obviously what Andy Murray has achieved while up against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and others goes far too much under the radar.
Especially for a British player. They are uniformly awful.

Murray has beaten the big 3 more than any other player and it's not close.