Greatest 'pre-injury' xi ?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Don't think I'd be able to find anybody to dislodge a Ronaldo, Kaka, or Del Piero from this side, but a couple of the following should be worthy of warming the bench:

Juan Valeron
Pablo Aimar
Ruben Baraja
Pato
Nuri Sahin

Valeron and Baraja's real problems with injuries might have been too late in their respective careers to count for the purposes of the thread, though.

Reactions: Penna

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Ronaldo and van Basten for definite. Shearer before the first knee injury was some player.

Also Gazza, obviously.

Could Marco Reus have been an elite player? Certainly looked like he was on that trajectory.

Wonder if any city fans will dare to pipe up with Paul Lake?
Lakey was looking like the genuine article before his injuries (and the incompetent treatment he received) killed his career.
Colin Bell was the one that no sane, unbiased football fan of a certain age would argue with.

Gopher Brown

You’re all forgetting the greatest player City never had - Paul Lake

Edit: sorry, already mentioned

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Some might snigger at this name but, Kerry Dixon before his hip njury. Never world class but a damn good old fashioned English centre forward with great pace and knew how to calmly put the ball away. He jumped for the ball on a hard pitch and hurt his hip on landing. When he returned he'd lost a yard and a half of pace and was never quite the same again.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Owen should be in there. Injuries caught up with him as time went on.
Definitely. My flawed memory seems to suggest he was overworked in his early days, which may have accelerated his future problems? Eduardo anyone? Also nice to have Gio mentioning Lubański. He knows his stuff, Gio.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Lakey was looking like the genuine article before his injuries (and the incompetent treatment he received) killed his career.
Colin Bell was the one that no sane, unbiased football fan of a certain age would argue with.
Colin Bell I never saw but my family are all Reds and really rated him, so he must've been good!

As for Paul Lake, how many games did he actually play? I remember him being an enigma as everyone said he was great but nobody ever seemed to actually see in action.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Vicente. One of my favourite non utd players ever. He was linked to us at some point. Ridiculous gigsy-esque-dribbling and scored like 14 league goals in a title winning season where Valencia compited again Zidane Ronaldo et al.
After breaking his foot suffered muscle injuries and other problems, couldnt compete with other great left footed players in valencia (david silva, mata, alba who started as a LW) and ended up his career in the championship and retired at 33. I think without injuries he could have been one of the best wingers ever.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Colin Bell I never saw but my family are all Reds and really rated him, so he must've been good!

As for Paul Lake, how many games did he actually play? I remember him being an enigma as everyone said he was great but nobody ever seemed to actually see in action.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lake

We've no idea just how good he would have turned out to be so I'm not going to make any wild claims in that respect save to say that many good judges rated him very highly.

In style and versatility think of Bryan Robson. That's not to say that he'd be quite as good as him but he would have been a regular England International with better luck IMO.

Lyricist

Reus, yet he is still already on 3 all Bundesliga player of the month awards only this season. The man is an elite player, and he does it in the big games, too!

RochaRoja

Was Chris Kirkland ever actually good?

I remember he was really highly rated when he joined Liverpool but had a ridiculous number of injuries and turned out to be pretty crap.

lysglimt

Scout
2 players who haven't been mentioned:

a) Neil Webb - scored like 50 goals in 150 matches for Forest - and started his United-career with a brilliant goal against Arsenal in his debut. Then he got injured for England, and never looked the same player when he returned for us 6 months later.

b) Alan Shearer - seems like a strange pick for someone who was arguably the best goalscorer the Premier League has ever seen, but prior to his injury that kept him out 7-8 months he had blistering pace as well. He was still a quick player after his injury, but he lost that little bit of pace. Him not being lightning quick was probably the only thing that prevented him from being one of the best in the world.

Adam_S

Darren Fletcher? Had a couple of really good seasons for United then some absolutely horrible health problems.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Saha for United.

As complete a striker you would ever see. He was so good fergie moved on Ruud.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don’t know if has been mentioned yet but Wayne Rooney.

That Metatarsal injury in 2006 and that foot injury vs Bayern in 2010 had a big effect on him. Especially the Bayern injury. He was never the same player after that.

Testament to how good he was that he still went on to be United’s highest ever goal scorer.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Roberto Baggio as great as he was spent most of his career managing injuries, imagine if he was 100%.
Baggio spent most of his career without knee cartilage; he was shaping up to be Maradona's spiritual heir before his injuries.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Anyone see Adrian Doherty play? Always lots of chat about him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm struggling for fullbacks, which is winding me up.
Wes Brown perhaps. From being a solid starter in 2008 and in Fergie's words "without question the best natural defender this club has had for years", to playing for lower team and disappearing due to injuries. I reckon there is no pre and post period for him, but when he was fit, he was awesome.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Wes Brown perhaps. From being a solid starter in 2008 and in Fergie's words "without question the best natural defender this club has had for years", to playing for lower team and disappearing due to injuries. I reckon there is no pre and post period for him, but when he was fit, he was awesome.
I actually Wes is a good one anyway. Looked really promising in the treble season then did both knees, think he would have been a much better player.

pawanraj

Saha.. I still think if he had stayed fit, there was a high chance he would have been our starting striker, even over Ruud.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
After his CL-winning season performances, he's not out of place!

Going to give it a good think and come back to it. There must surely have been some potentially epic full-backs who were beset by injuries, just hard to drum them up out of nowhere!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fernando Redondo, Paulo Sousa, Paulo Futre, Vitor Baía.

Decomposing In Paris

Remember reading how Giggs had to change his running style to manage his hamstrings. Great a player as he obviously was, and perhaps a strange one to have on this list considering his longevity and success... but what a player he could have been with a yard more to his game.

Righteous Steps

How good was Del Piero before the injury? What was his ceiling? Would love to see some footage, as the Del Piero post injury was pretty good as well.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Some other names that spring to mind, not necessarily in the best 11:

Garrincha (I know, special case, but it would be even weirder to not mention him)
De Rossi
Falcao
Vieri
Götze (although it is a sickness not an injury)
Badstuber
Gündogan
Ballack (although he was already quite old when he broke is foot)
Coman

M16Red

Gabriel Batistuta and R9, there is a video of them playing in the same team.... just awesome.