Greatest World Cup Upsets

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I thought it was hilarious. It was glorious to watch David Luiz be directly responsible for a handful of goals in a World Cup semi-final at home.
Just an observation: I feel like a lot of people from all over the world (I assume you are neither German nor Brazilian) laugh much more at Brazil then the Germans I know do. I wonder why this is the case, although it's probably a bit offtopic here?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not to dampen the Saudi spirits, but did they really deserve the win? Argentina scored 3 barely offside goals. Had way more shots 70% possession 4 times the amount of corners etc.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not to dampen the Saudi spirits, but did they really deserve the win? Argentina scored 3 barely offside goals.
A barely offside goal is still an offside goal under the current rules.

I personally would like to see offsides based solely on the position of feet.... but until then, its offside.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A barely offside goal is still an offside goal under the current rules.

I personally would like to see offsides based solely on the position of feet.... but until then, its offside.
Yeah of course, but people are acting like they dominated Argentina, they didnt really.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yeah of course, but people are acting like they dominated Argentina, they didnt really.
If you watched the second half in particular, they were very impressive. I think also when people hype up the performance you have to remember context. Most were expecting a thrashing, so to win, whilst playing at a pretty level to them, is very impressive.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think they deserved it in the sense that they put in a battling performance and competed despite clearly not being anywhere near as good as Argentina.

To back up your point though, It was a 0.15 xg vs 2.27 apparently... (which would drop to a 1.50 excluding the penalty, but still). Though it's a bit weird as they basically have the first Saudi goal as a 0.06% chance, which it really wasn't... it was probably the clearest cut chance of the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think they deserved it in the sense that they put in a battling performance and competed despite clearly not being anywhere near as good as Argentina.

To back up your point though, It was a 0.15 xg vs 2.27 apparently... (which would drop to a 1.50 excluding the penalty, but still). Though it's a bit weird as they basically have the first Saudi goal as a 0.06% chance, which it really wasn't... it was probably the clearest cut chance of the game.
Yeah, in context they deserve it on the fight they showed with such a big gap in ability.

The % of xGoals always seems extremely low to me. I saw a goal a few weeks ago where the keeper was gone and someone shot it past 2 defenders into an empty goal and it was like 20%.

Mike Smalling

Just an observation: I feel like a lot of people from all over the world (I assume you are neither German nor Brazilian) laugh much more at Brazil then the Germans I know do. I wonder why this is the case, although it's probably a bit offtopic here?
Maybe just because there was a feeling among the Germans that it was almost wrong or too much? Or that it didn't feel like you were beating the 'proper' version of that Brazil team, but a team that was mentally shot after they went behind by 2-0?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Maybe just because there was a feeling among the Germans that it was almost wrong or too much? Or that it didn't feel like you were beating the 'proper' version of that Brazil team, but a team that was mentally shot after they went behind by 2-0?
Yes exactly... it felt more like watching a car crash at times than like watching a great match, so it just felt wrong in a way.

RedDevil@84

England reaching WC semis. That upset a lot of people.

Maybe you are not looking for that kind of upset.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
For me the Saudi Arabia win is the biggest upset. They were solid all over the pitch and the team plays as a compact unit. I suspect the added preparation time they had was a key factor in the win.

Red Stone

Germany not even making it out of the group last time around was a huge shock, given their history of usually going deep into the knockout stages and being reigning champions on top of that. Not a single game, but I'd still say it qualifies.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
To my knowledge there were drugs involved, but does that really change a lot in terms of how to categorize this match?
Well tbf Hungary we're pretty much on top in the first half and should've gone in ahead but Germany got a bit of a fortunate decision (although that wasn't unusual in that period of history to allow such runs of play.) The weird thing is how Germany played in the first 15-20 mins of the second half as they played like absolute lunatics.

As ever in top level sport, minor advantages can have vast outcomes I.e. 8-3 to 2-3.

This isn't really the point though. Upsets are almost always backs against the wall wins. There are hardly any examples where a vastly inferior team have dominated the game in a upset as to play so openly would be suicide.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Not to dampen the Saudi spirits, but did they really deserve the win? Argentina scored 3 barely offside goals. Had way more shots 70% possession 4 times the amount of corners etc.
Argentina didn't even score in open play

Foxbatt

The Saudis were all over Argentina at the start of the 2nd half.

Abdullah7

Yeah, in context they deserve it on the fight they showed with such a big gap in ability.

The % of xGoals always seems extremely low to me. I saw a goal a few weeks ago where the keeper was gone and someone shot it past 2 defenders into an empty goal and it was like 20%.
What do you mean with big gap in ability? You need to explain it a little further my friend.

Wing Attack Plan R

Argentina also had taller players with less facial hair, but that matters as much as the other stats you cited. The Saudis scored more goals, therefore they deserved the win. It’s not figure skating or interpretive dance where they award style points.

CallyRed

What do you mean with big gap in ability? You need to explain it a little further my friend.
I think he means that a team that consists of the likes of 7 time ballon d'or winner Messi, Di Maria, Lisandro, Lautaro, De Paul etc would have greater ability in playing football than Saudi Arabia.
I think he might be on to something.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Thanks.

The boys will be remembered for ever in Saudi for this incredible gift that they gifted us.

What a day.
Al Dawsari has been around for a long time it feels like now.

Where does he rank in terms of all time Saudi players?

Abdullah7

I think he means that a team that consists of the likes of 7 time ballon d'or winner Messi, Di Maria, Lisandro, Lautaro, De Paul etc would have greater ability in playing football than Saudi Arabia.
I think he might be on to something.
All of the hall of fame trophies dosen't mean anything to me. When you're on the field and it's 11V1 emotions and thrive can be the deciding factor.my friend.

Foxbatt

All of the hall of fame trophies dosen't mean anything to me. When you're on the field and it's 11V1 emotions and thrive can be the deciding factor.my friend.
Congratulations brother if you a Saudi. I was watching in Asia and it looks here that the majority were cheering for the Saudis. Especially after they equalised. Yes they also support Messi but I guess when it's the underdogs the support always come out. Especially when the underdogs are Asian or African teams playing against a European, North American and the big two in south America.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina. The greatest upset?
For me yes. People will say Senegal vs France but at least Senegal had players playing in foreign leagues and such.
This KSA team is unknown.

This is definitely up there but south Koreans run is simply unrivaled.

Historically speaking the Uruguay win back in 1950 must have been something.
Don't get me started on that bribed cnut ref in the Italy game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Allah ybark feek!

He poured all of his heart content there :lol:
There was sometime around the 88th minute where Argentina had corner after corner and were threatening, and this guy simply goes "no no no, I believe it, they will not score today" in a calm non-chalant manner.
Also when he wanted to fight the Japanese commentator next to him cause the Japanese guy was hyping up every Argentina attack.

Man I swear Arabic commentary is unrivaled.

I'm very sure he spent 1 or 2 minutes signing as well during the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Argentina also had taller players with less facial hair, but that matters as much as the other stats you cited. The Saudis scored more goals, therefore they deserved the win. It’s not figure skating or interpretive dance where they award style points.
:lol:

Geez guys, I was just saying that I disagree with the sentiment they dominated the game, not that they shouldn't have won. I think it's awesome they won. This is why I love a worldcup.

Enough with the pile on already :(

Abdullah7

Al Dawsari has been around for a long time it feels like now.

Where does he rank in terms of all time Saudi players?
You could say Salem Aldwsari is a prototype being introduced as a role model for the upcoming talents. He'll be remembered as The entrepreneur to the next generation. He's legendary already here and we call him simply the tornado.

There was sometime around the 88th minute where Argentina had corner after corner and were threatening, and this guy simply goes "no no no, I believe it, they will not score today" in a calm non-chalant manner.
Also when he wanted to fight the Japanese commentator next to him cause the Japanese guy was hyping up every Argentina attack.

Man I swear Arabic commentary is unrivaled.

I'm very sure he spent 1 or 2 minutes signing as well during the game.
We adore the commentator here in Saudi and the more frantic they get the more popular they would become. :lol: