Greenwood and Foden kicked out of England squad for bringing girls into hotel room

Revan

Assumptionman
Stupid thing from them, bad judgement, deservedly dropped from the squad, but that should be the end of it. I don’t think we should hang them, neither I think Ole should drop Greenwood or fine him wages etc.

Everyone does stupid stuff eventually, and the punishment for them is getting dropped from the squad. End of story.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There's a pandemic on, cases are rising. Why can some people not get this into their heads. There are rules and Gareth also seems to expect certain behaviour from him squad under these circumstances.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not sure what I'd do. It would probably depend on Greenwood's attitude when he came back. If it was obvious he knew he'd fecked up and was completely focused I wouldn't leave him out...but he's brought unecessary pressure upon himself so if the attitude isn't spot on then he'd probably need keeping back a bit both to protect him and make it clear where his head needs to be.

If he uses the experience in the right way it'll all be forgotten about before long.
Exactly. If he realises he has to behave when representing his country or club, then it will be a good lesson learnt. If he thinks he is now a bit of a lad and likes that reputation it could be trouble. Also as has been mentioned on the radio today, if they had gone to breakfast that is the England game done, also the risk of them all coming back to their teams. I know there is not isolation coming back from Iceland, but one Covid case from that squad and we know who will be blamed.

Bobade

A lot of people on this thread were obviously very different to me when I was 18. I was basically an idiot.

Correct punishment has been doled out but there are many people on this thread judging them through a completely different lens. Young lads, thrust into the spotlight with loads of money? Stuff like this comes as no surprise.

reelworld

It's amazing that you come away from that thinking I'm excusing it.
:lol: it's not that hard when you're bringing his age into this and asking me to drop it because he's not perfect.

Nobody fecking ask him to be perfect. Just use his head and not being ignorant for 10 days

Tribec

A lot of people on this thread were obviously very different to me when I was 18. I was basically an idiot.

Correct punishment has been doled out but there are many people on this thread judging them through a completely different lens. Young lads, thrust into the spotlight with loads of money? Stuff like this comes as no surprise.
I'd say no surprise if your 18 and just won the lottery or come into a huge inheritance or something. However, these two have been brought up within the system so to speak, taught how to behave in public and know the expectations on them when with the team. The fact they did this whilst away with England adds fuel to the fire as the whole football community will be watching and hearing about it.

Hopefully they learn from this and knuckle down and get on with playing for the respective clubs and accept whatever punishments they receive from both clubs. It will follow them around for a while, but as with Beckham in 98, once they start doing the business on the pitch again for club and then translate that to international football all this episode will become is a paragraph on wiki or a chapter in the biographies.

wolvored

Agree completely. If we were in their shoes at 18 and you had the chance to feck 2 beauties of course you would go for it. As long as they have learned their lesson no long term harm done

cyberman

Just saw a pic of the girls. Id have done the same at 18, make no mistake

Waywestofthere

Supports
three kids
So both kids who earned their first cap are found with girls in their rooms? I’m guessing that isn’t super coincidental.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
They both were wrong but they got their punishment and will learn from it - end of story.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They're kids and they've been punished. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Hughes35

Just seen the girl is an Icelandic miss universe contestant...... and yet some of you lot still think you'd have said no as an 18 year old. hmmmmmmmm

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Slightly off track, but Mbappe now tested positive for Covid, isn't he meant to be in a biosecure bubble? How has he contracted it???
Probably already had it at PSG, a number of their players have caught it.

Possibly also got it from Pogba or Ndombele as they also joined the group and then tested positive.

The issue is the tests only really work when the virus has broken out, but it can lay dormunt and undetected for a while it seems.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Just seen the girl is an Icelandic miss universe contestant...... and yet some of you lot still think you'd have said no as an 18 year old. hmmmmmmmm
Yep - hormones are dangerous at that age!! :lol:

shaky

A drama over nothing really. Like a couple of schoolkids who worked hard all year, deciding to get up to a bit of mischief when a substitute teacher comes in to reside over the pointless last day of term.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:lol: it's not that hard when you're bringing his age into this and asking me to drop it because he's not perfect.

Nobody fecking ask him to be perfect. Just use his head and not being ignorant for 10 days
Nor is it hard to discuss the point at hand and not the strawman you've decided upon. Read it again and come back to me. :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In fairness there are only like six women in Iceland eligible for Miss Univerise so she didn't have much competition.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still find some of the answers weird. It's relatively simple being 18 years explains why you may act like an idiot but it doesn't excuse it because being 18 years old you know what you are supposed to do or not, you also know that there are consequences to your actions because you have been told about them. So when you disregard rules the other adults around you should sanction you and the only thing you should do is shut up and accept the consequences of your actions.

It's obviously not the end of the world and neither should get a life sentence from that event but anyone who is trying to justify or brush it away because they were idiots at 18(I was one myself) seemingly haven't understood their lesson. Harmonious life in society is largely based on order, discipline and respect of others, we need to always keep that in mind. Also if you are treated like an adult, act like a decent one otherwise don't be surprised if no one trusts you and treats you like a child.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Agree completely. If we were in their shoes at 18 and you had the chance to feck 2 beauties of course you would go for it. As long as they have learned their lesson no long term harm done
Dude, they have that chance every day of the week if they want to. It's not like this was their only chance of getting some action for the foreseeable.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just saw a pic of the girls. Id have done the same at 18, make no mistake
So would i.

Would take the punishment to the chin, hold my hands up and probably says fair play it was worth it.
A drama over nothing really. Like a couple of schoolkids who worked hard all year, deciding to get up to a bit of mischief when a substitute teacher comes in to reside over the pointless last day of term.
So his england debut is a pointless last day..

DRM

BUT BUT BUT he broke the rules and deserves the death penalty!! He's 18 you know so an Adult with prime responsibilities, how dare he get out of line!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I still find some of the answers weird. It's relatively simple being 18 years explains why you may act like an idiot but it doesn't excuse it because being 18 years old you know what you are supposed to do or not, you also know that there are consequences to your actions because you have been told about them. So when you disregard rules the other adults around you should sanction you and the only thing you should do is shut up and accept the consequences of your actions.

It's obviously not the end of the world and neither should get a life sentence from that event but anyone who is trying to justify or brush it away because they were idiots at 18(I was one myself) seemingly haven't understood their lesson. Harmonious life in society is largely based on order, discipline and respect of others, we need to always keep that in mind. Also if you are treated like an adult, act like a decent one otherwise don't be surprised if no one trusts you and treats you like a child.
The other great response is “she’s super hot, so obviously he couldn’t resist “ Which is projecting their own life experience onto a handsome and wealthy professional footballer who can have his pick of incredibly attractive women, whenever he wants.

Turning down the chance to spend a few hours with Miss Iceland is nowhere near the sort of sacrifice it would have been for the average redcafe user.

cyberman

The other great response is “she’s super hot, so obviously he couldn’t resist “ Which is projecting their own life experience onto a handsome and wealthy professional footballer who can have his pick of incredibly attractive women, whenever he wants.

Turning down the chance to spend a few hours with Miss Iceland is nowhere near the sort of sacrifice it would have been for the average redcafe user.
Yeah but hes 18, first season in the first team. First real taste of this and everything fame brings. Hell listen to the phone call and he sounds a bit naive and childish.
This is the age mistakes are made.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah but hes 18, first season in the first team. First real taste of this and everything fame brings. Hell listen to the phone call and he sounds a bit naive and childish.
He’s been in and around the first team for a couple of years. And a Manchester United footballer for much longer than that. So I’m sure he’s well aware how often opportunities like this come around. What he did was definitely naive and childish but I’m sure there are lots of 18 year old professional footballers who wouldn’t have done what he did in that situation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s been in and around the first team for a couple of years. And a Manchester United footballer for much longer than that. So I’m sure he’s well aware how often opportunities like this come around. What he did was definitely naive and childish but I’m sure there are lots of 18 year old professional footballers who wouldn’t have done what he did in that situation.
Let's be honest here, it probably goes on a lot more than we realise - they just got caught because the girls leaked it for publicity.

Anyway I'm sure Greenwood will be a lot more cautious in the future, this is probably his first real taste of fame going bad. Hopefully this will turn to be a good thing for him in the long run.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Hope we leave him out of the squad beyond whatever Covid protocols are. Needs a small kick.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Yeah, if he's doing this after 5-6 years of being a pro then you would probably want to think about reprimanding him further but he's 18 and just turned pro.

Actually, you could consider this his first 'lads holiday'...!

(He should be punished for breaking quarantine rules and that's it. Hopefully it was worth it and the early lesson in life benefits us as a club in the future!)

LiamB

The fact these girls were recording everything I feels these 2 lads got played in an attempt to boost this models followers or something, she says she didnt know he was a Manchester United player, its all over his social media. Definitely planned by these young ladies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Probably already had it at PSG, a number of their players have caught it.

Possibly also got it from Pogba or Ndombele as they also joined the group and then tested positive.

The issue is the tests only really work when the virus has broken out, but it can lay dormunt and undetected for a while it seems.
Seems like it can lay dormant for a while then, Pogba tested positive on the 26th!
Anyway, I digress!!

cyberman

Yeah but hes 18, not many miss icelands would go near 16 year olds I hope! The footballers life starts somewhere and 18 would be about right?
Foden is different, hes 20 and should be well used to this by now.

DomesticTadpole

Let's be honest here, it probably goes on a lot more than we realise - they just got caught because the girls leaked it for publicity.

Anyway I'm sure Greenwood will be a lot more cautious in the future, this is probably his first real taste of fame going bad. Hopefully this will turn to be a good thing for him in the long run.
This is the perfect age for them to be punished. Letting them get away with it could make them think rules don't apply.

Phil Osophy

If Greenwood is going to make idiotic mistakes because he's 18 then he can't represent England as a senior member yet. Let's see what happens but I think they haven't been dropped for just one game, and I'll be surprised if they are called up again before the Euros.

I think this is worse than just breaking some rules or making an occasional mistake. You have the chance to present yourself as a senior member for England and you piss on it in your first day at the office in a shameless fashion. It's obvious they're simply not mature and responsible enough to be there, so I wouldn't expect them to come back again this season, reasonably so.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Greenwood is going to make idiotic mistakes because he's 18 then he can't represent England as a senior member yet. Let's see what happens but I think they haven't been dropped for just one game, and I'll be surprised if they are called up again before the Euros.

I think this is worse than just breaking some rules or having an occasional mistake. You have the chance to present yourself as a senior member for England and you piss on it in your first day at the office in a shameless fashion. It's obvious they're simply not mature and responsible enough to be there, so I wouldn't expect them to come back again this season, reasonably so.
I don't know if Southgate will be that harsh, can see him maybe leaving them out of the next squad and then that's that. (How many more international breaks are there before the Euros?)

Having said that, I can't imagine he'll be too thrilled about the disruption to the schedule that this caused yesterday morning.

DRM

He should be banished to the reserves for the entire season!! The foolish reprobate!!!!