Greenwood and Williams dropped for drinking issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
His "issues" are the same as any teenager who earns a sh*tload of money per week, I imagine.
You're giving him too much leeway, most athletes don't act like that. Those that participates in olympics / balletes / chess and most other traditional sports at professional level sacrifices much more you don't hear this shit coming from them. Footballers got away with so much more.

Deery

Dreary
Didn’t Ole say he sits up all night on the X Box, maybe he’s up all night drinking in reality.

RUCK4444

I was defending him due to his age after the first couple of incidents but this is becoming a worry, seems the lad is a bit thick.

After the England issue you would expect him to behave and understand the commitment needed and what he can and can’t do.

Maureen-yo

"Mason wasn't fit to play, so we had to leave him out," Solskjaer said. "We hope he will recover quickly
Bit odd not to say it was a specific type of injury or a knock from training but just speculating.

Ekeke

Watched the first min or two. They managed to say that Donny Van de Beek played against the Netherlands and that it was Dan James best game and talked him up. So they lost all credibility with me

SirAF

Ageist
You're giving him too much leeway, most athletes don't act like that. Those that participates in olympics / balletes / chess and most other traditional sports at professional level sacrifices much more you don't hear this shit coming from them. Footballers got away with so much more.
This.

K Stand Knut

Who are these guys and why are they credible?
One of them is the ex ‘leader’ of the old United hooligan firm.

I’d hazard a guess that the younger one is his son.

Sounds like complete guess work to me but based on the fact that neither were anywhere near the squad.

Not sure how credible they are but I’m sure they’ll have some ears close to the club.

GueRed

Seen this all before

All the club and coaches can do is guide him the best possible way

Ultimately it is up to the player.

Would be a shame...Greenwood is potentially a world class player. Oh well

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Even the crappy tabloids aren't reporting this rumour and they will usually print any old crap so i find it difficult to believe it's true

Although now that it is on here it probably will start getting spread around

padzilla

Hipster
Yes they are.
I wish pogba would do something normal like go out and get pissed and ride a tart because all he does is talk about real Madrid.
Isn't Pogba a devout Muslim who doesn't drink alcohol?

SER19

Very good point.

cyberman

Why are we spreading this bullshit about one of our own, young players?

RashyForPM

He’s a kid who’s having new experiences having just become an “adult”. It’s just a phase that everyone goes through. He’ll get over it.
I hope so. That’s three mistakes in a couple of weeks now. His attitude off-the-pitch has to improve or he’ll become a folk tale, like Ravel. I’m not concerned about Williams; it’s only his first mistake.

As for Greenwood, I think Ole just has to sit him down and have a quality chat with him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Put the kind of money into those sports at the ages top level footballers become millionaires and then we would see what the fallout is.

As things are, you're nothing in most sports until your peak, which is not equivocal to footballers who just need to get good pro contracts to be set for life no matter how good or bad they turn out to be.

Such broad adulation, wealth and overall stardom at such young age sets footballers apart from pretty much any other sport; their usual time of amazing dedication to their craft comes as single digit kids and through into their early teenage years where, generally they are putting in the hard yards that are a given and not talked about - the culling process and bouncing kids around who are desperate to make it pro is the brutal underbelly that some endure, which is in line with some of the sports you mentioned.

Of course Greenwood has been considered special and has probably not had the fears of getting cut or not making it pro that others go through, but then prodigious talent destined for the top in any sport follow a different path most times anyway.

You should also factor the scrutiny of mischief for young footballers of this high a profile - they get slaughtered in ways youngsters of most other sports do not and are put across back pages of national newspapers and given segments in national news because it sells as a story. A gymnast or young Olympian hopeful? No, 'nobody' cares for the most part.

If these few incidents are all Greenwood has gotten up to, consider how wildly blown out of proportion that is relative to the years of not being in the spotlight. More likely, his profile will force change as he's no longer one of the lads, similar to Giggs getting hooked from parties once he made the first team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could have been costly having Greenwood out with Martial also out but we got away with it.

Hope he's not becoming a bit Ravel Morrison.

Dante

Average bang
Win or lose, they're on the booze
Defend or attack, they're on hippy crack
Shoot or pass, they'll shag your lass

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Put the kind of money into those sports at the ages top level footballers become millionaires and then we would see what the fallout is.

As things are, you're nothing in most sports until your peak, which is not equivocal to footballers who just need to get good pro contracts to be set for life no matter how good or bad they turn out to be.

Such broad adulation, wealth and overall stardom at such young age sets footballers apart from pretty much any other sport; their usual time of amazing dedication to their craft comes as single digit kids and through into their early teenage years where, generally they are putting in the hard yards that are a given and not talked about - the culling process and bouncing kids around who are desperate to make it pro is the brutal underbelly that some endure, which is in line with some of the sports you mentioned.

Of course Greenwood has been considered special and has probably not had the fears of getting cut or not making it pro that others go through, but then prodigious talent destined for the top in any sport follow a different path most times anyway.

You should also factor the scrutiny of mischief for young footballers of this high a profile - they get slaughtered in ways youngsters of most other sports do not and are put across back pages of national newspapers and given segments in national news because it sells as a story. A gymnast or young Olympian hopeful? No, 'nobody' cares for the most part.

If these few incidents are all Greenwood has gotten up to, consider how wildly blown out of proportion that is relative to the years of not being in the spotlight. More likely, his profile will force change as he's no longer one of the lads, similar to Giggs getting hooked from parties once he made the first team.
True, but let's be fair.

Greenwood wasn't being judged by a high ceiling of professional standard. He's not being asked to live in celibacy. He still could go out, have fun, have a drink, have a shag. All he's asked is that don't do this during the 3 days official NT trip. I'm a teenager once, and yes I've done stupid things, but at 19 I've learn to at least follow basic group rules, I'd follow University / school rules. I don't smoke at no smoking zone. I learn to respect boundaries.

And this incident doesn't mean he's a bad kid, but if we kept on letting things slide he will become one.

SAF was the best in dealing with things like this not because he let things slide and let the boys have fun.

Capt_Stark

Supports
Chelsea
What is United's mental health support system like? Big clubs seem to have a good system of having therapists and counsellors. I am sure they are forced for some sessions but especially for younger players what kind of emotional support, as a club, as they providing?

SATA

I thought Mason has a strict father who hold by the leash in everything he does in and for his career? I remember i read that somewhere on here. Seems like the son is in a 'rebellious' stage right now. Don't see Rooney and Ronaldo doing this at a young age. Please don't throw that talent away

Bwuk

I thought Mason has a strict father who hold by the leash in everything he does in and for his career? I remember i read that somewhere on here. Seems like the son is in a 'rebellious' stage right now. Don't see Rooney and Ronaldo doing this at a young age. Please don't throw that talent away
:lol: you aren't remembering them correctly then.

youmeletsfly

on is in a 'rebellious' stage right now. Don't see Rooney and Ronaldo doing this at a young age. Please don't throw that talent away
When kids get away from strict parents they usually go through a period of rebellion. Nothing wrong with what Greenwood is doing from my point of view, you all overreacting because he a football player and you can see it in the press.

To say that a 19year old football player can't have a drink here and there, can't shag a lady or two is plainly dumb. They're not fecking machines, they're normal people like the rest of us.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rooney was out getting wrecked and banging septuagenarian sex workers when he was a young player.

"Daddy" Greenwood seems like a bit of a handful for Ole but if he is as talented as Rooney, it won't matter.

GBBQ

What is he doing banging Icelandic girl during lockdown and drinking booze at that age, instead of focusing on football 24/7? :mad:
He can do that all he wants, he just shouldn't expect to have an elite career if he's not willing to put in the effort. Warren Joyce has already said about the dangers of young players thinking they've made it after a breakthrough season and taking their foot off the gas, so you have the likes of Januzaj lauded as the second coming before dropping off sharply. Ravel Morrison shows that you can have all the talent in the world but if your off field problems take over you'll fade away.

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2017/01...ter-united-talents-like-adnan-januzaj-172298/

lsd

The Oracle
Could have been costly having Greenwood out with Martial also out but we got away with it.

Hope he's not becoming a bit Ravel Morrison.

Thats a worry and idiots saying "he's a teenager let him be " will be the reason he tirns out like that .

He's a professional footballer for Manchester United first and he needs to realise he cannot do things other kids his age can do if he wants to make the best out of his talent .

ZupZup

It does seem like just a pub rumour. I personally would take anything these clowns say with a huge pinch of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.