Greenwood and Williams dropped for drinking issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RashyForPM

Or.... Ole should tell Greenwood to touch his toes, then kick seven shades of shit out of him
Nah, I think he should go for a more diplomatic approach with the young lad. Tbf though, considering this is his 3rd error in a couple of weeks, showing not only a bad attitude but an unwillingness to learn from mistakes, I am slowly losing patience. He should learn after one error. Maybe after his next one Ole should do as you suggested :lol:

RashyForPM

This incident is reminding me of Fergie and his spies around Manchester reporting if his players are getting up to nonsense. Doesn’t Ole have any? Can’t Phelan hide in his shorts while checking up on Greenwood.

cyberman

So wh
Very credible. Both worked at Old Trafford in security roles over the years, I think both now work at Gary's Hotel opposite the ground. They have all the ex players on their channel regularly.
So why isnt this story everywhere? What have they broken in the past? Look at the ex pros on tv ot MUTV. They are surprisingly clueless about our dealings.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Naw it doesn’t alcohol only lasts 12 hours in your blood and 3-5 days in your urine
Elimination of Phosphatidylethanol (PEth) during abstinence in detoxified alcohol dependent subjects, and the correlation to CDT, GGT, and self-reported alcohol intake.

Nowadays, very low levels of PEth in the blood can be measured and it can be detected several weeks after consuming.

The tests available at a football club is way more advanced than a regular urine test. You can most probably see everything.

Maticmaker

How many incidents is this for Greenwood now?
Three (known) so far, the England 'escapade'/Partying at AirBB flat/ now this... lads got a target painted on his back from the press, unless someone takes him in hand this sort of thing will follow him all his career.
Please will someone take the loaded gun off the lad to stop him keep shooting himself in the foot!

Deery

Dreary
I don’t like tattoo’s as well, but Rashford is full of them and just won an MBE and Bruno has tattoos on his arm as well as Lindelof. So you can’t really blame tattoos.

But, I do think Greenwood has some attitude problems hippie gas, breaking curfew, bad trainer, drinking?

After a couple mistakes you stop aleast for a bit but he seems to keep on doing them.

Giggsyking

People are forgetting the Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson parties or Rooney (not only when he was young) missing games almost every season because all off a sudden he had “caught a virus or was sick”. Off course SAF wasn’t going to say he was drinking and partying.
It’s not a major issue and I am sure Greenwood will be alright (if the reported story is true at all). Also Telles was already on the bench so not sure Williams was needed that much against Newcastle.
Dont bring Ronaldo into this, he was a machine in training, determination and commitment. Every tiny detail he paid attention to at the age of 19 gave him the edge over any other footballer at the same age. That is why talented players can go the Ronaldo path which is the hardest path or take the easy way, Greenwood seems like he already picked which path he will take.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He’s a kid who’s having new experiences having just become an “adult”. It’s just a phase that everyone goes through. He’ll get over it.
It’s disappointing that he was caught doing whippets & caught doing Icelandic chicks. Banish them to the reserves, dock their pay (if possible), & let’s move on.

This is no different than the digressions of footballer kids in the past. One main difference is the ubiquity of social media which tends to make things look worse.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dont bring Ronaldo into this, he was a machine in training, determination and commitment. Every tiny detail he paid attention to at the age of 19 gave him the edge over any other footballer at the same age. That is why talented players can go the Ronaldo path which is the hardest path or take the easy way, Greenwood seems like he already picked which path he will take.
zzzzzzzz

Giggsyking

Everybody jumping on Greenwood et al and you can only imagine what Giggsy and Lee Sharpe were getting up to back in the day!
Under the guidance of the best manager of all time who knew how to manage such actions. Do you think Giggsy would have turned out to be the footballer he was if it was not for Sir Alex hard control? FFS Sir Alex bumped into their parties and dragged Giggs out of them.

Can7onA

He's just gone 19, I would have got up to all sorts in his position at his age.

Punish him and move on. Ole I imagine will do exactly what Fergie would do in this situation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That’s a tad hyperbolic. I remember hearing stories of CR7 / Nani parties back in the day even across the pond. Youngsters gonna youngster, way too early to make such a blatant accusation against Greenwood.

crossy1686

career ending
Hence the (if true) part of my comment. Even "too much of a drinking culture" doesn't bode well.

Where have I said I hope he's the new Ravel Morrison :confused:
That comment wasn't aimed at you. There's a group of people on here who can't wait for him to fail for some reason, while completely forgetting what they were like when they were 18 and judging people by standards they don't even apply to themselves.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:lol:
I am sure the club will take care of him and he will be fine.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's a professional who only a month ago had a severe disciplinary issue with breaking covid rules and then found taking drugs at a party. So, almost right after doing that (a month later!) he's suspended by Ole for drinking and you're cool because it's a phase :lol:

Show me the other top, top teenage talents being suspended twice in a month for doing teenage things.
Wasn't the party thing done much earlier just that the papers only published it after the iceland incident?

KevinJoh

From what I can see both Greenwood and Williams are in the training ground with the rest of the team. So, even if it was incident of this type, Ole fixed this and they served their punishment. Not sure, we should go public about it as all we can get is more negative press and more pressure on the kids.

Giggsyking

That comment wasn't aimed at you. There's a group of people on here who can't wait for him to fail for some reason, while completely forgetting what they were like when they were 18 and judging people by standards they don't even apply to themselves.
First, Talk about yourself. You dont know everybody here.
Second, nobody here is playing for Manchester fecking united and are under the media focus all the time.

cyberman

T
He's a professional who only a month ago had a severe disciplinary issue with breaking covid rules and then found taking drugs at a party. So, almost right after doing that (a month later!) he's suspended by Ole for drinking and you're cool because it's a phase :lol:

Show me the other top, top teenage talents being suspended twice in a month for doing teenage things.
Taking drugs.. Deary me. Deary me indeed.

Giggsyking

:lol:
I am sure the club will take care of him and he will be fine.
3 stupid incidents in a matter of 1 month. Yes, he does not look smart enough to manage himself. Sure I hope the club knows hot to deal with him because its a pity an immense talent like him get ruined by childish stupidity.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
While there is room for leniency, the casual excuses made for Greenwood at this point on the basis of age seem to ignore that plenty of top, world class footballers went through this stage without immature idiocy and recognised what they were able to achieve. While far far more brilliantly talented young players went on to achieve nothing close to what they should have by not having the correct attitude.

I don't think people should overreact, but it's obviously a concern that should be taken seriously
Correct.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This doesn't seem to have been picked up by mainstream media at all - and you'd think they'd be like flies to shit if this was true.

Still, lets say it is... despite all the usual patronising about him being *only* 18 blah blah blah that's going on, I don't think drinking is a huge problem in the grand scheme of things - it just depends when he's doing it (i.e not before a game/training) and how much he is doing it. I guess it doesn't look great when partnered with the Iceland stuff (which was a problem I thought) but... meh,.

Woodzy

Meh, slap on the wrist and tell them to grow up if true.

Comparing him with Ravel Morrison is madness, since Morrison did feck all for the club and Greenwood is already amongst our best players!

Nickosaur

Slap on the wrists and keep him out the team for a few weeks should be how Ole handles it imo. I don't care how important the games are, he shouldn't see himself as undroppable.

Look at how Mata - a model professional - played at the weekend. Mason should take notes.

tomaldinho1

I doubt it's that big a deal. 'Drinking Problem' I'm assuming is a bit sensationalist.

It is good that Mata has at least moved himself back into contention for RW, one of the consequences of not having a decent RW and Mason being our fill in player there is that, unless he's got Ronaldo levels of dedication towards self improvement, it's detrimental to not have any real competition for places in a team.

crossy1686

career ending
First, Talk about yourself. You dont know everybody here.
Second, nobody here is playing for Manchester fecking united and are under the media focus all the time.
I've worked with teenagers for over a decade, I've had a few that were international athlete's, and guess what? They still made mistakes and did stupid shit. If anyone knew the stuff Greenwood got up to while he was in high school there'd be a bunch of keyboard warriors in here saying he'll never make it while they're sitting at home with their 'elite' mentalities working their dead-end jobs and doing recreational drugs at the weekend.

He's a kid, the media focus is wrong and the people questioning a kid's mentality when it appears he has solid people around him that have helped him get this far is just bizarre. I get that people are worried about him going off the rails but he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team if there was any danger of that. If he's been dropped we'll see him start making some smart decisions soon. It's all part of learning.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
As much of a talent he is on the pitch, he seems a bit dense off it, even for a teenager.

Hopefully for you guys he smartens up a little before it affects his training and on pitch talent.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
No redtop papers running with the story yet which is surprising.
Even the boys that came out with should have elaborated more during the podcast.

Renegade

“His only 19, typical teenager”

Can people start posting examples of highly promising teenagers at our rival clubs doing the same?

Normal teenagers don’t have the privilege of being in his position unfortunately so I don’t think it’s comparable.

The odd incident that’s fair enough but after the spotlight and attention from the England thing surely you lay low for a while right ?
Hopefully it’s media bullshit though.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Very disappointing if true. I think it was very telling that Ole just said 'hopefully he will be fit soon' You mean he was injured?? Hamsting? Muscle injury?

I seem to have misjudged Greenwood in that I though his attitude and 'level headedness' were nailed on. It appears they are not. If his behaviour doesnt change immediately, he will not hit the heights we initially thought that he might. Unless you are the ultimate professional, you can forget about becoming one of those very very few players who regularly features in Balloon Dor conversations. He has the talent to do so I believe.

For me, the signs were there as to his mentality as soon as he appeared plastered in tattoos mid way last season. Yes I know I'm old fashioned but if anybody ever presented themselves for an interview with tattoos, I'd tell them to just get get out, unless I was trying to form a rock band. Tattoos used to be the mark of a rebel, now every moron has them.
Yea no famously hardworking dedicated players like Zlatan for example would ever get tattoos or anything.

Jesus wept.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool

Can people start posting examples of highly promising teenagers at our rival clubs doing the same?

Normal teenagers don’t have the privilege of being in his position unfortunately so I don’t think it’s comparable.

The odd in side that fair enough but after the spotlight and attention from the England thing surely you lay low for a while right ?
This is what I don’t get... 16? Yeah sure, most people are idiots at that stage in some way or another... 19 though? If you’re still acting a tool at that age you have/had issues.

crossy1686

career ending

The odd incident that’s fair enough but after the spotlight and attention from the England thing surely you lay low for a while right ?
There's a big difference you're failing to see.

No one gives a shit what kids, or players for that matter, get up to when they don't play for Manchester United.

Rolaholic

I'd go after these lads in court if I were the club or his family, dangerous and irresponsible spreading rumors out there like this about a teenager without much of anything to back it up

Falcow

Yea no famously hardworking dedicated players like Zlatan for example would ever get tattoos or anything.

Jesus wept.
There's always a few exceptions.

Greenwood is not looking like one of them thus far though, is he? Being dropped by both his club and country for being a moron. Funny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.