Greenwood and Williams dropped for drinking issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Anyway you dress it up, all of these reports about Greenwood’s behaviour are becoming very worrying.
Hahahahahaha. If only you knew what Giggsy got up to when he was 18 with likes of Sharpey etc.

The kid has invited an Icelandic model back to his room and allegedly gone for a drink with Williams. Hardly the crimes of the century pal.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You missed the loads of money part
Eh. Most U21 players of Manchester United can be considered loaded enough, with great athletic body of a footballer. If they can maintain focus I don't see why Greenwood can't

All footballers in the EPL gets through being 19 just fine, most of them are superstars in their own country. We don't see news like this everyday

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah a ballerina or a chess player isn’t exactly an elite athlete who needs to be in tip top condition to perform week in week out. A footballer for 90 minutes does

Footballer got away with lots more, you tell me our squad plays on tip top conditions week in week out?? They play like drunk most of the times. You can have a string of bad games and can still win the game, you can be like Jones and still make a living. Try doing that in any other field.

Olympics athlete have it the harshest, they only have 1 chance every 4 years. Talking about pressure

Castia

Hahahahahaha. If only you knew what Giggsy got up to when he was 18 with likes of Sharpey etc.

The kid has invited an Icelandic model back to his room and allegedly gone for a drink with Williams. Hardly the crimes of the century pal.
It’s not normal behaviour for a first teamer/England international no matter what age he is. There’s rumours about him being tired in training because he stays up playing video games all night, I think he needs somebody to give his head a wobble.

Withnail

he says it right at the start... "too much drinking culture"

edit: about 30 seconds in

but to me it just sounds like he's giving his opinion on why he thinks he's dropped, and nothing more
Ok I've watched it back. Yeah sorry missed to the first time.

Later on he kinda says if something went on. Hopefully there's nothing much to it.

Hoof the ball

It doesn't look smart though, does it? We're a month from his hotel escapades and subsequent house-party video. He then is dropped to the bench by Ole for unprofessional behaviour. You'd think so soon after that he'd toe the line for a while, but if Ole has had to leave him out for another league game on the back of another teenage moment, it becomes a character issue. He's let his boss down, and then let him down again almost right away.

Ole dropped him twice. Twice, and for good reason. He didn't drop him because he's being a teenager. Maybe Ole's overreacting too and he should just lighten up, after all, Mason was just being a teenager, right?

This isn't about making individual mistakes. This is about making a mistake, and then making a mistake again so soon after the first one. It's a character issue to be addressed. I haven't heard a peep about Mbappe and Haaland pulling this shit. They'll take their talent right to the top. Greenwood will too, but he needs that Ronaldo mindset; and remember that Ronnie never let being a teenager be an excuse for not getting his shit sorted.

The best become the best, and stay the best, for the professionalism they put in, on and off the field.

SATA

It’s not normal behaviour for a first teamer/England international no matter what age he is. There’s rumours about him being tired in training because he stays up playing video games all night, I think he needs somebody to give his head a wobble.
Is he good mates with Dembele? Ole needs to get on his phone and delete away Ousmane’s number. I jest but it’s fine playing the playstation every day but not when it eats up time into your sleep and recovery

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't deal in rumours. That's your first mistake. And if he does do that I'm sure the club will get on top of it.

I have no concerns about him at all. This year has done weird things to people far older and more mature than him.

Dante

Average bang
Premarital sex, legal highs and alcohol. Who cares?

He hasn't done anything wrong. The way some of you are going on about it, you're making him sound like a combination of Hugh Hefner, Tony Montana and Shane MacGowan.

I've seen nothing to suggest he's done anything reckless, excessive, criminal or harmful.

The kid sounds like he has his head screwed on right.

It's perfectly normal to push the boundaries as you try to come to terms with your place in the world. We've all done it. He's just unlucky that his experimentations have been reported in the media.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
3 stupid incidents in a matter of 1 month. Yes, he does not look smart enough to manage himself. Sure I hope the club knows hot to deal with him because its a pity an immense talent like him get ruined by childish stupidity.
.... that we know about. Im sure there are more that he has hidden or haven't yet become public knowledge.
Due to his footballing upbringing, he is practically immature anyway, it seems like he is going through some form of delayed adolescent rebellion.

Some saying he's just a young man going through passage of rites. Thing is that is not acceptable in his chosen line of career, he has signed those rights away, literally in a contract.

He really needs to sort his act out. The penny needs to drop fast.
But I'm not sure how that's possible if he wont follow the advice of his father, manager or more responsible teammates.

micmac

His behavior and attitude is exactly what you would expect from a baby who was prematurely elevated to superstar status. The youth probably make about 16,000 quid a week. If he isn't set up in the right "bring back down to earth when you mess up" environment we could have another Ravel on our hands. For the bunch who would be offended by that, I mean based on if the reports are true and his training commitments aren't up to mark and he doesn't change.

I think it's Phelan (I could be wrong) who said once some of these youth players taste the limelight they think they have made it and drop their intensity and focus which would eventually lead to them not meeting their potential. Not every youth player have the mentality of a Rashford (based strictly on the reports about him).

As someone with tattoos I disagree that its a sign of immaturity in the player but I do see it as akin to a initiation right to some modern players who have "made it".

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Premarital sex, legal highs and alcohol. Who cares? He hasn't done anything wrong. The way some of you are going on about it, you're making him sound like a combination of Hugh Hefner, Tony Montana and Shane MacGowan. I've seen nothing to suggest he's done anything reckless, excessive, criminal or harmful. The kid sounds like he has his head screwed on right.
It's perfectly normal to push the boundaries as you try to come to terms with your place in the world.
We've all done it. He's just unlucky that his experimentations have been reported in the media.
The difference is he has signed legal contracts that prohibit all these acts you so easily forgive.

el3mel

If this is true, Greenwood needs serious punishment. If he keeps on this route he will destroy his potential.

crossy1686

career ending
How many players have been sent home from the squad after their first international call up? Fairly certain that isn’t a normal occurrence. The hippie crack stuff was bollocks and hopefully this isn’t true but if it is that’s the second game he’s missed this season due to being unprofessional. I don’t quite understand how that’s “normal” or in any way acceptable.
What’s that got to do with anything? 1st cap, 100th cap? Why is the number so relevant?

The boy is just being an 18 year old boy. If you want to discuss habitual unprofessional behaviour then what about: Tevez, Balotelli, Terry, Giggs, Gallas, Bellamy, Barton, Adebayor, Suarez, Pennant, Adam Johnson, Rooney, Ashley Cole, Andy Carroll. Just to name a few who were old enough to know better and continued to make bad decisions.

Greenwood is absolutely normal and will be fine. Once he gets his raging alcoholism under control that is, according to one man on YouTube.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s amazing how some of you are determined to ignore the fact he was (allegedly) dropped for too much boozing. That is NOT a normal or routine thing to happen. Especially a few weeks after being kicked out of the England squad for disciplinary issues. I mean, WTF?!

If there’s any truth to this it’s really bad news. Still young enough to get his shit together but he wouldn’t be the first very talented young footballer whose lack of professionalism ruined a promising career. So people have every right to be concerned.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He didn't sign a contract to prohibit any of those things. Don't be silly.
Yes he did. He wasn't allowed to have women in his room on international duty.
Players also agree not to drink x days before a game.

These are basics.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is this true or we just starting to take someone word off the Internet now?

RedRover

People will go over top as usual. An 18 yr old footballer making a bad decision shocker. Imagine how many things some of our other young players have gotten up to in the past that we never heard about. Rooney springs to mind, but I bet it was most of them. Good lessons for them to learn. Ole will deal with it.
Indeed. 18 year old in behaving like 18 year old shocker. This must happen all the time. He'll get a telling off or a fine and that'll be that.

IRELANDUNITED

I found it odd that Ole said Greenwood wasn't "fit" to play. He didn't say he was injured, being not fit could potentially mean he had a banging hangover.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I hear he threw up on Ole's shoes during training and that was the last straw for the Norwegian disciplinarian.

Maticmaker

Come on now. Only Greenwood can control this situation, he is the one making decisions and the press are just feeding off his mistakes and poor judgement. The only way to stop this is to stop giving the press the ammunition, after recently being dropped by England you would think he would have the sense to lay low for a period of time. Only one person is to blame for this and that is Mason, personally responsibility is key here.
True, but from the clubs perspective of protecting both him and their interests, if Mason is still tending to behave like a child, then he needs a 'childminder'

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We're seem to be taking the sort of gossip you heard on red issue and taking it as gospel.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Eh. Most U21 players of Manchester United can be considered loaded enough, with great athletic body of a footballer. If they can maintain focus I don't see why Greenwood can't

All footballers in the EPL gets through being 19 just fine, most of them are superstars in their own country. We don't see news like this everyday
So is the issue getting caught or the behavior itself? I would say a teenager with loads of money acting like a responsible adult is the outlier. Just because they aren't in the news doesn't mean it isn't happening. Mason Greenwood also has a higher profile than most teenagers, so it's expected something like this would be news for him.

Maybe it's because I remember how impulsive and clueless I was at 19.

Jibbs

This kid really reminds me of Rooney. I hope he makes better decisions than him in future. He has an amazing career ahead if him. Good 17/18 years. I hope he gets serious.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not backing Greenwood here but imagine being 18 and not being able to discover drinking and the opposite sex as freely as most people do in University etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.