Greenwood, Gomes, Chong set to stay this season

Moiraine

I really believe Gomes is going to be the next big thing.
Hope he gets fair chances.

witchtrials

Not surprised if that's the way it ends up - I think most of us have been assuming that's what would happen. Solskjaer has been clear that Greenwood will be in and around the first team squad and Gomes looks ready and needed too. I'd be worried if we're planning to rely very much on Chong though - he doesn't look quite ready to me.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm quite high on Chong after this pre-season, I'm really liking what I'm seeing in his step. Very exciting season for all these 3. Greenwood is going to be a star this season. Gomes and Chong will have an impact. Good times

C'est Moi Cantona

Ole has literally found himself in a position where he'll have to start at least one of Chong, Gomes, James, and Greenwood in most game, and have two of them on the bench every game.

Dan_F

Ole has literally found himself in a position where he'll have to start at least one of Chong, Gomes, James, and Greenwood in most game, and have two of them on the bench every game.
Really? I don’t think his preferred 11 has any of them in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really we've got a lot of attacking options. Even aside from Martial, Rashford and Lingard we have Lingard, Sanchez, Mata and possibly Periera all who can play in attacking positions. Of course someone like Greenwood you could argue should be starting on the RW and I think he well could start doing so with a bit of consistency. However us being short on numbers wouldn't be forcing Ole to start one of them. It'll have to be their performances.

pacifictheme

I really believe Gomes is going to be the next big thing.
Hope he gets fair chances.
Will be interesting to see his progress this season. He needs to sign a new contract though, if he doesn't he shouldn't get any minutes (isn't he out of contract next summer?). But yeah huge potential i think. Same with greenwood. Not sure about chong at all.

The most important thing for everyone to remember is these really are kids. They're not as experienced as the co92, and the team they're playing in is nowhere near as good. Everyone should have zero expectations for them this season (but being hopeful is ok! :D). The club shouldn't be relying on them. Don't get on their backs if they're not brilliant straight away, or show major inconsistencies across the season or even a match.

The club should be criticised for getting themselves into a position where they need to regularly play 3 18 year olds (of that happens). No one can blame them for still being kids.

Pearson

Gomes only got one year left of his contract. That worries me a bit.

Lentwood

I do think this is the way forward tbh....often don't see the point in the loan system, sending players away to be coached by inferior coaches in inferior teams.

The only caveat to that is they have to get minutes and the fans have to understand that unfortunately, it's highly likely that we are facing yet another transitional season.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Will be interesting to see his progress this season. He needs to sign a new contract though, if he doesn't he shouldn't get any minutes (isn't he out of contract next summer?). But yeah huge potential i think. Same with greenwood. Not sure about chong at all.

The most important thing for everyone to remember is these really are kids. They're not as experienced as the co92, and the team they're playing in is nowhere near as good. Everyone should have zero expectations for them this season (but being hopeful is ok! :D). The club shouldn't be relying on them. Don't get on their backs if they're not brilliant straight away, or show major inconsistencies across the season or even a match.

The club should be criticised for getting themselves into a position where they need to regularly play 3 18 year olds (of that happens). No one can blame them for still being kids.
I seem to remember an 18 yo Rooney & 19 yo Ronaldo in the team at the same time. They didn't turn out to be too shabby for United. I don't recall massive expectation from those two, they were just great to watch. They created their own expectation through their own performances.

If they're good enough they're old enough, Greenwood and Gomes especially look good enough to me from what I've seen. Both will be 18 & 19 respectively this season.

Having young players pushing the more experienced ones is very healthy for the squad.

joedirt87

I don’t think telling the kid you won’t play unless you sign a contract is the way to go. Need to get him games and then work with him on a contract. Hope he would commit his future to the club but he could still jet if he plays well and catches the eye of big clubs. Hesitant of how much Gomes or Chong will play throughout the year. You figure there are a few players that are going to be locks on the sub bench for most games: Romero, Young, whatever CB it actually fit, Matic, Fred/Pereira, Lingard/Mata. You add Greenwood to the mix if Ole feels he is the most ready and that is your subs. Call me a pessimist, but unless Ole gives up on some these players it’s going to be another season where Chong and Gomes will be lucky to see more than a handful of games

C'est Moi Cantona

Not really we've got a lot of attacking options. Even aside from Martial, Rashford and Lingard we have Lingard, Sanchez, Mata and possibly Periera all who can play in attacking positions. Of course someone like Greenwood you could argue should be starting on the RW and I think he well could start doing so with a bit of consistency. However us being short on numbers wouldn't be forcing Ole to start one of them. It'll have to be their performances.
Well these are the same person, I was saying this on understanding that Sanchez might go, Mata will surely be very much a bit part player, and I doubt Periera will be anything more than a midfield option.

Lingard does tend to pick up injuries, and the first three you first mentioned even of they can be relied on can't play every week, so it's not much of a stretch that we'll see at least one of Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, & James in most games, especially as midfield limitations/injuries might mean we play with two in midfield sometimes.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think telling the kid you won’t play unless you sign a contract is the way to go. Need to get him games and then work with him on a contract. Hope he would commit his future to the club but he could still jet if he plays well and catches the eye of big clubs. Hesitant of how much Gomes or Chong will play throughout the year. You figure there are a few players that are going to be locks on the sub bench for most games: Romero, Young, whatever CB it actually fit, Matic, Fred/Pereira, Lingard/Mata. You add Greenwood to the mix if Ole feels he is the most ready and that is your subs. Call me a pessimist, but unless Ole gives up on some these players it’s going to be another season where Chong and Gomes will be lucky to see more than a handful of games
AKA he needs to give up with Mata and Lingard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't like how Gomes is mentioned in the same sentence as Chong whereas Greenwood stands on his own

Gomes is far superior to Chong and should be spoken off in the same breath as Greenwood

Judas

Open to offers
I don't like how Gomes is mentioned in the same sentence as Chong whereas Greenwood stands on his own

Gomes is far superior to Chong and should be spoken off in the same breath as Greenwood
Completely agree. I’ve been excited about Gomes for years, he’s one of the main reasons to be hyped for the season if he gets the chances his talent deserves.

Chong isn’t ready but maybe he’ll get better as the season goes along, but out of the three I’d say he’s the least likely to make it with us.

pacifictheme

I seem to remember an 18 yo Rooney & 19 yo Ronaldo in the team at the same time. They didn't turn out to be too shabby for United. I don't recall massive expectation from those two, they were just great to watch. They created their own expectation through their own performances.

If they're good enough they're old enough, Greenwood and Gomes especially look good enough to me from what I've seen. Both will be 18 & 19 respectively this season.

Having young players pushing the more experienced ones is very healthy for the squad.
Ronaldo had played in the champions league prior to coming to united and rooney was well, rooney. Youngest ever scorer in the league. They also came into a better team and we were not initially relying on them.

My point is we don't know if they're good enough, but at times this season we'll probably have to rely on them anyway. Hopefully they'll step up but if they don't its not their fault.

Alabaster Codify7

Greenwood will feature the most but Gomes is the one I'm most intrigued by. Sadly I dont see him featuring much ahead of Mata and Lingard.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Would love to see one of them in the starting lineup tomorrow. We need excitement and Mata/Lingard won’t create that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think there’s that much between Gomes and Greenwood. Both are top bracket talents. I used to think Gomes had more weaknesses in his game but he’s obviously worked on them and they’ve all completely evaporated, I’m sure he’ll let his football do the talking for him. I know people are pessimistic because of Lingard/Mata but I honestly don’t believe he’ll have any trouble displacing them, he’s too good not to.

I’m glad we’re not sending any of them out on loan, I always thought sending your best talents on loan was risky, you have to trust the other club not to feck up their development and often they won’t have their best interests in mind. The coaching they’re receiving here is doing them a world of good, if you look at how they’re all improving, they’re doing so at an impressive rate, almost at a game by game basis.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
What else is he supposed to do after ed fails to deliver again... I feel bad for ole but hope the youth will prevail.
The youth should be involved here and there when there is less stress to play on. Not when we chasing games and thick into the games. This is ridiculous way to develop youths. Hope im wrong though.

Mark Pawelek

I do think this is the way forward tbh....often don't see the point in the loan system, sending players away to be coached by inferior coaches in inferior teams.
Players who sometimes return badly injured like TFM last year.

The only caveat to that is they have to get minutes and the fans have to understand that unfortunately, it's highly likely that we are facing yet another transitional season.
Greenwood had his PL debut last season and it seems he's not in the U-23 and U-21 squads (which look like the same squad anyhow!)

This year, under-21s play against men in League 1 & 2 sides in EFL Trophy. They'll get at least 3 matches in the group stage. Up to 8 if they go through to the final. Plus some (like Gomes & Greenwood) will surely be picked for many early cup and Europa League matches.

Bwuk

Personally think it’s mental we are going into the season relying on them.

Our most senior forward is Lingard ffs. Martial and Rashford are quality but haven’t been consistent, and both need to step up.

On top of that we are hoping Gomes/Chong/Greenwood can provide goals too, despite being completely unproven.

I’m a fan of all 3, but I think it’s unfair to place such expectations on them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Our most senior forward is Lingard ffs. Martial and Rashford are quality but haven’t been consistent, and both need to step up.

On top of that we are hoping Gomes/Chong/Greenwood can provide goals too, despite being completely unproven.

We aren’t winning it this season, so why not use this season to let the kids grow and flourish while the pressure is lower.

The new group are genuinely top class. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Laird all have a really strong chance of being in the first team.

While we might struggle in the short team it could be huge for us in the long term.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Pretty sure they are not all seen as equal talents, and a hint here is that Chong played with the u23s on Friday and Gomes and Greenwood didn't. Greenwood is seen as the big talent, but Gomes was superb pre-season, and must've elevated his claim no end.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

It's definitely mental. But also strangely refreshing, and long term may end up being one of the best things we've done in a while.

In Rainbows

Pretty sure they are not all seen as equal talents, and a hint here is that Chong played with the u23s on Friday and Gomes and Greenwood didn't. Greenwood is seen as the big talent, but Gomes was superb pre-season, and must've elevated his claim no end.
Chong didn't play on Friday.

Canagel

The club have put us in this situation so we have no option but to use them. . It's a gamble that could backfire spectacularly but at the very least it's unknown what will happen. We know what's going to happen if the same useless players we have used in the past keep playing so I'm all open for new experiments. Don't expect much from this season anyway after this disaster of a window.

Stacks

We aren’t winning it this season, so why not use this season to let the kids grow and flourish while the pressure is lower.

The new group are genuinely top class. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Laird all have a really strong chance of being in the first team.

While we might struggle in the short team it could be huge for us in the long term.
When you say top class, aren't Chelsea academy the best in the country and didn't United youths get hammered at times? Top class is class 92 and it's a huge wank to suggest future academy players are any where near that level. I feel we are trying too hard to imitate Class 92 but the Poundland version. It's a once in a blue moon that you have academy players of the level of Beckham Scholes etc and they were broken in at 20 years of age, into a team of winners, who had just won the double. This seems like a cheap attempt to bring back the romanticism of the 90s. These lads are 17 coming in to a team of inconsistent players and bottlers. Who is going to mentor them and instill a winning mentality and culture? Lingard? I would like to see Mason and Chong loaned to a championship side and United at least try to maintain a modicum of respect in the football world