Greenwood is the Best Finisher in the League

manunited1919

He is 18 ffs. He has the natural instinct and he can only get better but lets not compare him to 26 to 29 year old world class strikers in their prime who graced this league (RVN, RVP, Shearer, Aguero, Kane etc). Its uncalled pressure on the lad. Having said that his finishing yesterday was sublime.
He’s now 19.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Couldn't agree more. There's not a single United player except Greenwood I'd expect to score from that angle yesterday.
Whenever he gets into a half decent shooting position I'm confident with him.
It’s the way he makes it look so easy that really reminds me of Ruud/Ole. Pick a corner and hit it early, before the keeper is fully set. Sounds so simple but very very few strikers can do this consistently.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Better finisher than Van Persie? No chance. I think you have to rewatch his goals that season to remind yourself just how good Van Persie was.

Greenwood is obviously very good, but this is taking it a step too far.
Yeah we can look at goals RvP scored and to my mind, it seems a lot of RvP goals were wonder goals that are of course hard to score but he missed a lot of chances like Greenwood has just been putting away with ease over the course of last year and with both feet.

Flexdegea

Easily one of the best finishers in football both feet must add.

Can blast them so clean and accurate and can slot them.

Mad to think hes only a kid. So composed already.

When he older, stronger, bigger, the goals will be so effortless for him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think he’s the best finisher I’ve ever seen. Might sound ridiculous but he just seems to pick exactly the right type of finish for every situation and seems to finish a ridiculous percentage of chances regardless of how big the chance is.

Member 113277

I think he’s the best finisher I’ve ever seen. Might sound ridiculous but he just seems to pick exactly the right type of finish for every situation and seems to finish a ridiculous percentage of chances regardless of how big the chance is.
A blast from the past Allan 'sniffer' Clarke of Leeds Utd was one of the most composed and cool finishers I saw - Mason is up a that level. Jimmy Greaves was a different type of finisher, more of a dribble it into the net type, Mason could also develop that attribute with his control skills. I really used to think Denis Law was a great finisher, a true predator, again, Mason could develop into that, too.

He has a fantastic future.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Best finisher in the league? It's between him and Kane. Most gifted player to come out of our academy since Ryan Giggs.
To think he and Rashford didn't cost us a penny. That's football 'eritage!

Red4Life_#7

Best finisher in the league? It's between him and Kane. Most gifted player to come out of our academy since Ryan Giggs.
The fact that we are comparing him to the best finisher after approx 50+ appearances for the club is just incredible. He can go on to be world class, the world is at his feet if he keeps his mind going in the right direction.

ur2cdanger

He is a great finisher but I think he'll need to add some variety to his goals. Rebounds, scrappy goals, headers etc. I think he will develop them over the years but I think it will take 3-4 more years to see the best of him.

edcunited1878

It's between Kane, PEA, and I'd say Vardy. Those three players can head the ball better than Greenwood, but obviously don't have anything on his two-footed skill. Those are top goal scorers who score a variety of goals.

He's well on his way, but need a lot more sample size in the league to legitimize this 'is the best finisher in the league'.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He is a great finisher but I think he'll need to add some variety to his goals. Rebounds, scrappy goals, headers etc. I think he will develop them over the years but I think it will take 3-4 more years to see the best of him.
That's a cliché for strikers who aren't natural preditors in front of goal. Greenwood was born to bang them in. He doesn't need to do any of that scrappy stuff. At all.

I agree on headers though but its a dying art so I'm not that worried about it.

TsuWave

He is a great finisher but I think he'll need to add some variety to his goals. Rebounds, scrappy goals, headers etc.
:lol: why does man have to score scrappy goals? If the guy can finesse them in, and is currently statistically the best around, why does he have to be banging in “rebounds/scrappy goals etc”. It’s not as if he’s missing chances.

I’m struggling to understand this.

In relation to headers, I guess he could work on them, but the guy is currently playing as a wide forward, not striker, and we’re not really a team that tries to put balls in the box looking for an attacker. This might change with Cavani and Telles in the mix, but even then I think his chances for headers will be pretty limited.

Prodigal7

It’s weird but I think he’s actually more mature and intelligent (On the pitch) than rashford. Rashford got the headlines with his goals but like Ole said, the team laid the groundwork for rashford to do that, and Greenwood was a huge part of that. It’s the first time I’ve seen him put in a shift all over the pitch which was great to see.

fezzerUTD

It’s weird but I think he’s actually more mature and intelligent (On the pitch) than rashford. Rashford got the headlines with his goals but like Ole said, the team laid the groundwork for rashford to do that, and Greenwood was a huge part of that. It’s the first time I’ve seen him put in a shift all over the pitch which was great to see.
Rashford intelligent? He had a great game last night, but his decision making usually is shocking.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
People talk about ‘pressure’ on this kid hyping up his finishing ability. Trust me, he feels none of it. When you’re that talented at finishing (easily, and by far the best finisher in EPL) there is no pressure.

there will be a day when we come on here after he just scored 5 in a game and we’ll think it’s normal.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
A blast from the past Allan 'sniffer' Clarke of Leeds Utd was one of the most composed and cool finishers I saw - Mason is up a that level. Jimmy Greaves was a different type of finisher, more of a dribble it into the net type, Mason could also develop that attribute with his control skills. I really used to think Denis Law was a great finisher, a true predator, again, Mason could develop into that, too.

He has a fantastic future.
Thanks. I never saw any of those play live but heard about them obviously.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
:lol: why does man have to score scrappy goals? If the guy can finesse them in, and is currently statistically the best around, why does he have to be banging in “rebounds/scrappy goals etc”. It’s not as if he’s missing chances.

I’m struggling to understand this.

In relation to headers, I guess he could work on them, but the guy is currently playing as a wide forward, not striker, and we’re not really a team that tries to put balls in the box looking for an attacker. This might change with Cavani and Telles in the mix, but even then I think his chances for headers will be pretty limited.
If he can get in the positions to score 7-8 scrappy goals over the course of a season on top of the finesse goals he scores, that's an extra 7-8 goals a season he scores. Ultimately it doesn't matter how you score them, they all count the same so scoring plenty of both is the best scenario.

There's a reason Ronaldo set such ridiculous numbers. He scores them all - wonder goals, tap-ins and headers. It's the difference between scoring 20-25 goals a season and scoring 40+.

SinNombre

I think the main takeaway from this graph should not be Greenwood's finishing, but how much work he needs to put in to actually get into positions where he can score more goals.

He has a lot of good tools in his arsenal, but he is well behind in terms of getting into good goal scoring positions consistently.

Even Danny Ings has a 2x higher xG/90.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rashford intelligent? He had a great game last night, but his decision making usually is shocking.
That's just hyperbole. Rashford's decision making is fine, it could use some improvement but it's much better than it used to be, under Mourinho it was poor he's come a long way since then.

Withnail

I think the main takeaway from this graph should not be Greenwood's finishing, but how much work he needs to put in to actually get into positions where he can score more goals.

He has a lot of good tools in his arsenal, but he is well behind in terms of getting into good goal scoring positions consistently.

How much of that is down to his position though? Ings is playing CF. Greenwood's playing off the right.

EDIT: My other take-away as an Irishman is that McGoldrick can't finish his dinner.

Prodigal7

If he can get in the positions to score 7-8 scrappy goals over the course of a season on top of the finesse goals he scores, that's an extra 7-8 goals a season he scores. Ultimately it doesn't matter how you score them, they all count the same so scoring plenty of both is the best scenario.

There's a reason Ronaldo set such ridiculous numbers. He scores them all - wonder goals, tap-ins and headers. It's the difference between scoring 20-25 goals a season and scoring 40+.
It’s mostly an either or though. If you’re hovering around inside the box looking for scraps you’re not going to score the amount of clean clinical goals he does by picking the ball up around the edge of the box and aim botting it in the corners like he does.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
People talk about ‘pressure’ on this kid hyping up his finishing ability. Trust me, he feels none of it. When you’re that talented at finishing (easily, and by far the best finisher in EPL) there is no pressure.

there will be a day when we come on here after he just scored 5 in a game and we’ll think it’s normal.
Why should I trust you? And how do you know he feels none of it? How are you a credible source for Greenwood's feelings that I should trust you?

I'm just playing

TsuWave

Scrappy goals don’t materialise out of thin air. Greenwood is largely converting most of the chances that fall his way. The post I quoted states “he’s a great finisher but needs to add variety to his goals”, as if scrappy goals are some sort of special qualifier. Again he plays as a wide forward, and I’m not saying he can’t improve, but I’m sure he has responsibilities he needs to adhere to in relation to the way we’re set up and play.

And Ronaldo scores a lot of goals because he is good at converting chances that are created by his team/by him, for him, his position and the spaces he occupies, which happens to be what Greenwood is doing. Not because he has a specific inclination or propensity for scrappy goals

It’s mostly an either or though. If you’re hovering around inside the box looking for scraps you’re not going to score the amount of clean clinical goals he does by picking the ball up around the edge of the box and aim botting it in the corners like he does.
Exactly. What am I misunderstanding here?

RooneyLegend

A few months ago I claimed he's the best finisher since Van Basten, can't say my opinion has changed.

Red4Life_#7

It's not weird mate. I also think the same, he is more naturally talented. Rashford makes silly errors where he should have thought and made a better decision, but Rashford makes up for it with his incredible work effort. MRG will be incredible to watch their rise over the next 5 years+, all 3 of them are young, talented and pacy.

TRossManUtd8

Hard not to say Rashford after his hat trick but what a first goal by Greenwood. Amazing young player but for me not quite as good as Rooney's overall game at the same age.

Pughnichi

Hit it early is king. That Ruud goal vs Fulham for example...the best thing about it wasn’t the run, but the finish. A simple side foot into the corner but it was almost unexpected because it was outside of his running stride, instead he adapted to control and hit it in almost the same movement giving keeper zero chance to set.

Does feel like greenwood his this in his locker

Classical Mechanic

He’s often near the corner flag when we attack.

Smores

We definitely need to give him a shot at a position where he can get more shots off routinely.

I'm not arguing against introducing him on the wing as that works well. I just hope we don't wait too long because he needs to learn all elements of being a striker.

Red_Aaron

Extraordinary composure and accuracy from a teenager playing at the highest level

He's still a couple of seasons away from playing consistently through the middle at which point he will be fckin frightening

Got the world at his feet this lad

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why should I trust you? And how do you know he feels none of it? How are you a credible source for Greenwood's feelings that I should trust you?

I'm just playing
Because I'm always right
Just kidding, I talk a lot of garbage

Prodigal7

Hit it early is king. That Ruud goal vs Fulham for example...the best thing about it wasn’t the run, but the finish. A simple side foot into the corner but it was almost unexpected because it was outside of his running stride, instead he adapted to control and hit it in almost the same movement giving keeper zero chance to set.

Does feel like greenwood his this in his locker
99% of player would have put their laces through it with a bit of direction and hope it goes in. Greenwood knew exactly where the keeper was, where the goal was and looked like he could score that goal (which was a difficult goal) in his sleep. Incredibly precise in what he does.

Ibi Dreams

Hard not to say Rashford after his hat trick but what a first goal by Greenwood. Amazing young player but for me not quite as good as Rooney's overall game at the same age.
Rooney's all round game was incredible for his age, and he was certainly way more involved in games than Greenwood has been. But in terms of finishing Greenwood is definitely better than Rooney at the same age. Greenwood just seems to hit the target virtually every time, either foot, with power, or placed calmly where the keeper can't get to it.

Feels greedy to say this but I really want to see what else he can do, because so far he's basically just been a goalscorer. Of course that's probably the most important thing in football, but I'm sure he's got more to give. He doesn't impose himself or get very involved in games that much yet. If he can start doing that and can keep his nose for goal he's going to be a massive player

Trex

Rooney's all round game was incredible for his age, and he was certainly way more involved in games than Greenwood has been. But in terms of finishing Greenwood is definitely better than Rooney at the same age. Greenwood just seems to hit the target virtually every time, either foot, with power, or placed calmly where the keeper can't get to it.

Feels greedy to say this but I really want to see what else he can do, because so far he's basically just been a goalscorer. Of course that's probably the most important thing in football, but I'm sure he's got more to give. He doesn't impose himself or get very involved in games that much yet. If he can start doing that and can keep his nose for goal he's going to be a massive player
I think Martial and Rashford already bring that dynamic element to this team,I prefer if he becomes a player who plays for the goals strictly,he is already good at it and has the potential to be a 40+ goals a season player,I would like to see him become more imposing physically,improve his runs, headers, his finishing with both feet is already as good as it gets,I don't want him to be a creator,I want him to be selfish both with his positioning and use of the ball