Greenwood is the Best Finisher in the League

diarm

I think if we are that lucky, Mason will go much beyond RVP. The boy is very impressive. The only other players who were so good/complete at 18 in my memory were Messi and Rooney.

Messi took that to another level in his career, and Rooney had a great career (but not Messi levels).

Thankfully he has some good guidance from Ole who would have seen how Rooney and Ronaldo managed their careers.

There is no doubt Mason will have a good career. His challenge is to determine how good it will be...
Sorry. I was just making a bad joke about him being "as good as Van Persie and possibly even emulating him".

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@ivaldo I was surprised with lack of your annual insert player name is the best insert attribute in PL special this year, but you didn't disappoint.
I'm glad you pay such close attention to what I have to say. I would return the favour, but I'm not really sure who you are...

Edit: No, that's mean. I apologize. What other ones have I made?

Okey

Hard to know who's the bigger talent at this point, Foden or Greenwood.
At the moment, I'd say Foden. But then he's 2 years older, so Mason has time. England's future does look exciting with them 2 and Sancho as well. Proper talents. Hopefully Mason keeps getting better and has Sancho for a team mate next season. I couldn't really care less about Foden, seeing as I'm not quite English...

PaulScholes99

I know that a lot of people hate expected goals (and i can partly understand it, it is definitely not always accurate and lots of people tend to overuse it and try to explain everything through it) but i looked for his expected goals stats today as i remember nearly every goal of him as not a very big chance.

He has 2.71 expected goals and scored 8, meanwhile Firmino has 15.76 expected goals and also scored 8 (no hate about Firmino, he has other qualities). This is pretty crazy. There is no chance Greenwood can keep this numbers and his actually scored goals will come closer to the expected but the stat underlines the observation every United fan right now makes - Greenwoods finishing is just incredible with both feet. I would say the statement that he is the best finisher in the league is a bit to early as he has to consistently do it at least for next season but it could be true.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He makes the difficult look very easy, and that's when you know you are watching a special talent.

Completely two-footed, extremely accurate with his shooting, and a talent for using his body and quick feet to create himself a half yard of space, which is all he needs to get that shot away.

Frightening ability. Its hard not to get carried away. I genuinely believe he has a chance of becoming the worlds best player

Red_toad

2 goals yesterday very much reminded me of the power/stance Ole used to such great effect back in the day. Greenwood is showing the right attitude, used the lockdown period to build himself up. Hopefully he'll become a World class striker, certainly is an exceptional finisher, but he's still very young and will suffer from spells where it doesn't all turn to goals, how he handles that will define him as a player.

Lj82

Genuine question but is there another player in world football that can score this goal with their weaker foot?

Rewatched the goal many times now. You can see the defender was contend to show Greenwood to his weaker foot, and then he goes on to produce this stunner.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Greenwood has overperformed his xG by 5.29 goals which is only bettered by Ings and Vardy. Greenwood did this by playing around just 800 mins.

That's a decent stat. Saying that good players/attackers should get into more goal scoring positions too, their ability to get into those positions, lose markers is what sets them apart.

Btw this is also one drawback of xG model. For any average player the xg will be less as the shot is from weaker foot (assuming they consider zone+whether ball is at stronger or weaker foot) but players like Greenwood don't really have 'weaker foot'. He is more left footed player but he is so good with right foot that it doesn't matter with which foot he shoots.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Great shout. Very like Fowler with how he finds the corners with little backlift. Greenwood is a better dribbler than Fowler was, though, and more two-footed. (Although Fowler’s right foot was decent.)
I'll always remember his near goal vs us in the 1999 FA cup game.

0:58 in this video. Was amazed at the audacity of that attempt with his supposed weaker foot.

Revan

Assumptionman

Some players rip the youth teams/reserves apart but can’t make the transition. Greenwood absolutely made the jump to senior level and this is what’s to come from him. He’s going to be one of the most lethal strikers United has ever had. I’m absolutely certain of that.

At 22-23 he’s going to absolutely deadly.
I know that it is kids' football, but in some goals he was just taking the piss.

I don't think that I've ever been as excited for an academy player, and as excited in general since Ronaldo. He might already be my favorite player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just wait until he is truly established and starts taking free kicks as well. He is fantastic at them and you guessed it, he takes them with either foot depending on the spot of the kick...

In Rainbows

I know that it is kids' football, but in some goals he was just taking the piss.

I don't think that I've ever been as excited for an academy player, and as excited in general since Ronaldo. He might already be my favorite player.
If my memory serves me right the only players that had his goal scoring record (or near it) at England's youth level in the past 10-15 years were Solanke, Dembele (Lyon), Abraham, Rossi, and Balogun. However, I think only Rossi had his level of technical ability and nobody had his two footedness. From our own youth players (apart from Rossi), Greenwood had a much more impressive goal scoring record than Wilson, Keane, King, Welbeck, Rashford (when he did play as a striker) etc... even though he was doing it at a younger age among other things.

Just to add some context. Solanke is the only one that failed to make the step up and Balogun is still just 19 (couple of months older than Mason). So if he fails, that's just 2 of the 6 that failed while the others did hack it at the top level.

Josep Dowling

I haven’t been this excited about a talent since Rooney. To be able to goal those two goals with both feet, and at the age of 18, is unbelievable. Could be a special player and I thought that since the minute he started playing for the first team.

Baneofthegame

The second goal was amazing yesterday, he must be a nightmare to defend, left foot? No problem. Right foot? No problem.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What's his best position though? I think he's more appropriate as RW were his pace, his technique and his superb long distance shot can be better exploited.

dogwithabone

My face is covered in egg !! I suggested a year or so ago that Greenwood was nothing to get excited about and that he would just fizzle out in to a Welbeck type PL player. I could not have been more wrong, this lad is ridiculously talented and his finishing is as clinical as you will see.

Our biggest problem might be deciding where we play him, he looks great on the right but when you’re that unerring in front of goal should he just be given the number 9 shirt and played down the middle.

His ability to shift the ball and get his shots away so quickly is unique among any other current strikers and look how cleanly he strikes the ball. He doesn’t scuff them in, he’s airborne when he’s hit it such is the power he’s generated. Reminds me of Gerd Muller, the old German striker.

We have the most exciting striker English football has unearthed in a generation. How great is that !

Scores against Villa (9 July 2020)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
TELL ME IM WRONG!

Last edited by a moderator:

lysglimt

Scout
I wouldnt trade Greenwood for any striker in the world - seriously. He will be better than all of them.

LARulz

I still rate s Aguero as better but I get the same feeling that I feel confident he'll score when he shoots

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just fecking flies past Reina. Wand of a right foot. His weak foot. :lol:

Ridiculous.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Honestly think he can score 30-40 next season already.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Sancho who?
Greenwood is unreal. What a goalmachine

meamth

At this point, coaches in the feckin PREMIER LEAGUE will ask their players to double team the mad lad before he even got the ball at that position.

Absolute cheat code, this kid.