Greenwood is the Best Finisher in the League

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
His finishing is just ridiculous. I can't wait to see what he adds to his game as he develops.
Well he's already one of the fastest players in the club. I can see him moving more centrally.

With Elanga progressing the way he is, MG is a shoe in for a more CF role

norm87cro

He is 18 ffs. He has the natural instinct and he can only get better but lets not compare him to 26 to 29 year old world class strikers in their prime who graced this league (RVN, RVP, Shearer, Aguero, Kane etc). Its uncalled pressure on the lad. Having said that his finishing yesterday was sublime.

Untd55

Are we talking about RvP that took more than 7 seasons to develop into a proper powerhouse? I wonder how good was he at 19, I think he was still at Feynoord at the time.
He was always a good finisher at Arsenal, at least. I'm guessing he must have shown something at Feyenoord for them to sign him. He scored 8 in 23 in 02/03, but I don't know how good that Feyenoord team was.

The problem with Van Persie is he didn't have an injury-free season until 11/12 or his goal scoring stats would be far higher.

I still don't think you can say Greenwood is deadlier than a player who scored 30 in 38 PL games and then the next put in 26 in 38. In 10/11, he scored 18 in 25, but he missed a third of the season with injuries.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Rashford had a left foot that wasn't just for standing on then his finishing would be better probably. Greenwood can bang it with both feet though which is crazy.

Drainy

If Rashford had a left foot that wasn't just for standing on then his finishing would be better probably. Greenwood can bang it with both feet though which is crazy.
I'm a massive Rashford fan and that's just not true.

Greenwood has a better variety of finishing and more composure /shot selection. He's not that great in the air though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s been a long long time since I’ve seen a United player clean through on goal and have this degree of certainty he will score.

Didn’t happen with RvP. Didn’t happen with Rooney. You’d have to go back to Ruud Van Nistelrooy or our current manager to have that same feeling.

TwoSheds

I'm a massive Rashford fan and that's just not true.

Greenwood has a better variety of finishing and more composure /shot selection. He's not that great in the air though.
1 on 1 Rashford is absolutely deadly at the moment. Can't really say the same about Greenwood because he rarely gets one on one. His finishes all tend to be quite similar.

meamth

I'm not so sure, comparing Cavani's goals vs Greenwood's, something is lacking.

It's the variety of it. He may be the best in terms of shooting, but he has a long way ahead if he wants to be the best finisher in the league.

The White Pele

The precision of his finishing is not human. The amount of times he finds the inside of the post from either foot and from any angle is incomprehensible. He didn’t even look up for his goal last night and not only did he know where the goal was, he was able to find the precise angle required and execute flawlessly whilst on the move.

He’s a cheat code.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
I expect a goal everytime he gets the ball around the box, and most of the time it ends up being a goal. I can't wait to see how good he can get. But i want to see him get more time as a pure striker, and not out on the right even though he does a good job there as well. Someone with this level of finishing needs to be in the box, not the one getting the ball in to the box.

Drainy

1 on 1 Rashford is absolutely deadly at the moment. Can't really say the same about Greenwood because he rarely gets one on one. His finishes all tend to be quite similar.
I guess it depends if you count evidence outside of the first team. Greenwood is ruthless and can score all kinds of goals with his feet.

SuperiorXI

What he does is insane, honestly, you see a lot of strikers get the chances he has and miss... Greenwood is so clinical, if he misses it's very surprising.

TwoSheds

I guess it depends if you count evidence outside of the first team. Greenwood is ruthless and can score all kinds of goals with his feet.
Not really. Finishing is as much about composure and mental fortitude as it is about technique. Welbeck's technique wasn't bad but his legs go to jelly in the box. Technically Greenwood is unbelievable, on that I can certainly agree. I also fully expect him to keep improving, I'm just saying Rashford is cold as ice at the moment and he has that experience to fall back on that Greenwood doesn't yet. But equally his left foot doesn't seem to be an option in his head so that definitely counts against him.

Drainy

Not really. Finishing is as much about composure and mental fortitude as it is about technique. Welbeck's technique wasn't bad but his legs go to jelly in the box. Technically Greenwood is unbelievable, on that I can certainly agree. I also fully expect him to keep improving, I'm just saying Rashford is cold as ice at the moment and he has that experience to fall back on that Greenwood doesn't yet. But equally his left foot doesn't seem to be an option in his head so that definitely counts against him.
Greenwood is a more composed player than Rashford.

I love Marcus for everything he brings that Greenwood doesn't but if you had a choice between the two one on one with a keeper it's Greenwood all day, even if Greenwood hasn't had the opportunity to show that skill at first team level yet.

The man is a killer in front of goal.

TwoSheds

Greenwood is a more composed player than Rashford.

I love Marcus for everything he brings that Greenwood doesn't but if you had a choice between the two one on one with a keeper it's Greenwood all day, even if Greenwood hasn't had the opportunity to show that skill at first team level yet.

The man is a killer in front of goal.
And yet doesn't play with anywhere near the same freedom as he did at the underage levels. For example, he now appears to be left footed, I genuinely didn't know which was his strong foot in the reserves. That is because of the pressure at first team level in my opinion. Watch Rashford take that pen against Paris, that's ice cold. Same with his finishing last night, sends the keeper to the shops and doesn't blink.

Kaizane

Wrap this boy up in cotton wool, build the team around him, send him all the Icelandic woman alive and we're guaranteed at least 20 a season!

Shown he's more than just a finisher but an intelligent runner too. I don't care, he was level and if goals like that are being ruled offside the game's officially dead (Mané was definitely off against Everton though!). You could tell he wasn't even thinking about the finish, it was all just pure natural ability once he was through. I hope we all know how lucky we are to have such a player on our hands!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You mean since he's played 30mins against RB?

Rashford really isn't a great finisher yet, he missed quite a few chances recently. He always does the same - strong shot close to the keeper, sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. It's a zero sum game.

Greenwood is a better, more sublime finisher. And he never seems to miss the target.

The Original

He wasn't cold as ice just last week against PSG, nor against Chelsea, so I'm not sure you can really say he is even if you say at the moment. That would be just one game.

Drainy

And yet doesn't play with anywhere near the same freedom as he did at the underage levels. For example, he now appears to be left footed, I genuinely didn't know which was his strong foot in the reserves. That is because of the pressure at first team level in my opinion. Watch Rashford take that pen against Paris, that's ice cold. Same with his finishing last night, sends the keeper to the shops and doesn't blink.
You're letting your feelings do your thinking.

He had a great game. He's a great player in the making but as a finisher he isn't as composed as Greenwood

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Best finisher since Ruud; best goalscorer remains to be seen as that's a very different ball game and relies on positioning and scoring easy chances just as much as sublime connections like Greenwood has.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The thing I find amazing is how he always knows where the posts are. He didn't even look at the goal yesterday.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Harry Kane edges it as the best, most natural finisher in the PL and he's been doing it consistently for several years now, but Greenwood isn't far off his level.

There's an expectation the moment Greenwood picks up the ball within sight of goal, you just feel he is going to score. I don't get that feeling with Rashford or Martial or anyone else besides Kane. Greenwood is an exceptionally rare, once in a generation breed of talent. The sky's the limit for the lad.

Lewnited

This sounds pretty outlandish, but when you look at this amount of low percentage shots he takes and either hits the target or scores, I don't think it's actually that far fetched. This is also backed up by how ridiculously he's outperformed his xG since the start of last season (and probably in the youth set up). He's one of the most ruthless finishers in world football I can think of at the moment.

What remains to be seen is if he can become the best goalscorer in the league, by getting in to better positions for tap ins and scruffy goals... but the guy isn't even 20 yet so it's a non issue.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not so sure, comparing Cavani's goals vs Greenwood's, something is lacking.

It's the variety of it. He may be the best in terms of shooting, but he has a long way ahead if he wants to be the best finisher in the league.
He had shown a lot more variety at the youth level, although I’d agree with you in general. With witty lobs especially.

It may be a bit weird, but Robben seem to be a good comparison at the moment. He has mostly used only one type of finish (strong and precise shot, more often placed low rather than high) – like Robben in his early days where he seemed to score every goal by cutting in and shooting with his left into the far corner... but the thing is, if you can do it consistently, it (Greenwood's) is probably the most efficient way of finishing. It's just that most strikers can't find that extra moment to compose themselves and don't possess Greenwood's ridiculous combination of power and accuracy.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Harry Kane edges it as the best, most natural finisher in the PL and he's been doing it consistently for several years now, but Greenwood isn't far off his level.

There's an expectation the moment Greenwood picks up the ball within sight of goal, you just feel he is going to score. I don't get that feeling with Rashford or Martial or anyone else besides Kane. Greenwood is an exceptionally rare, once in a generation breed of talent. The sky's the limit for the lad.
I'd agree with that assessment. Kane has a similar ruthless manner of finishing and seem to be able to find the net from pretty much every angle – and has been doing it for a longer time with astonishing consistency. Hopefully Greenwood would overtake him soon though :drool:

D. Mungai

The best compliment we can give is
Whenever he is on the box, and shoots, it's either the goal keeper saves/ ball hits the post or he scores..

He never misses to hit the target, that's all what strikers are told as basics. Just hit the target.

Greenwood is supreme talent

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're letting your feelings do your thinking.

He had a great game. He's a great player in the making but as a finisher he isn't as composed as Greenwood
It's not just composure, he is clearly more gifted than anyone at the football club at being able to pick his spot when shooting, and finding it with incredible accuracy as well as power. Consistently too. That's sheer ability for me and something that's unique. I don't think I saw the same natural finishing quality in the shots of Zlatan or RVp either.

Where he can improve which will probably determine how good a goalscorer is how much of a goalthreat he is. Does he get on the end of crosses? Does he make runs in behind clean on goal? Can he beat his man and slot him home consistently? How's his volleying? Is he going to be at the right place at the right time?

Cavani and Benzema are good examples. Neither are incredible finishers. But their movement and goal threat is superb. That's what Greenwood has to develop and should as he plays more, and more centrally.

But as far as being given an opportunity to shoot , his natural ability is scarily good. I don't think Martial and Rashford have this enormous a gift. Few do.

passing-wind

I'd personally give Salah or Kane that status. Salah obviously typically has an array of chances due to Klopps coaching so I'd put a non injured Kane ahead however I do think Greenwood closely follows. It's not really a conversation of finishing because many players are good finishers it's the metric of being clinical. I'd say that Mason with Kane are the most clinical players in the prem.

Posh Red

I'd personally give Salah or Kane that status. Salah obviously typically has an array of chances due to Klopps coaching so I'd put a non injured Kane ahead however I do think Greenwood closely follows. It's not really a conversation of finishing because many players are good finishers it's the metric of being clinical. I'd say that Mason with Kane are the most clinical players in the prem.
Depends what you mean by clinical as Kane attempts a lot more shots than Mason, many speculative in fairness. I haven’t looked it up but I would guess MG has a higher conversion rate than someone like Kane.

Drainy

It's not just composure, he is clearly more gifted than anyone at the football club at being able to pick his spot when shooting, and finding it with incredible accuracy as well as power. Consistently too. That's sheer ability for me and something that's unique. I don't think I saw the same natural finishing quality in the shots of Zlatan or RVp either.

Where he can improve which will probably determine how good a goalscorer is how much of a goalthreat he is. Does he get on the end of crosses? Does he make runs in behind clean on goal? Can he beat his man and slot him home consistently? How's his volleying? Is he going to be at the right place at the right time?

Cavani and Benzema are good examples. Neither are incredible finishers. But their movement and goal threat is superb. That's what Greenwood has to develop and should as he plays more, and more centrally.

But as far as being given an opportunity to shoot , his natural ability is scarily good. I don't think Martial and Rashford have this enormous a gift. Few do.
I think that is the key. He's currently an excellent finisher but he's not as influential in a game as the likes of Rashford, but if he clicks and moves to the next level he could be an insane goalscorer

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What stands out with his shooting is, even if he doesn't score, he works the keeper or is shades away from a very acute angle finisj. Rarely do you see anything going into the stands or miles away from the goal. His accuracy is unerring.

Not sure how many forwards in the world you can say that about. Messi is the first that comes to mind for shot precision, but after him there's a shot to goal ratio that, from observation, tapers off. Would be curious to see what a ratio table actually looks like.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What stands out with his shooting is, even if he doesn't score, he works the keeper or is shades away from a very acute angle finisj. Rarely do you see anything going into the stands or miles away from the goal. His accuracy is unerring.

Not sure how many forwards in the world you can say that about. Messi is the first that comes to mind for shot precision, but after him there's a shot to goal ratio that, from observation, tapers off. Would be curious to see what a ratio table actually looks like.
Apparently as a kid he’d practice shooting from all angles and with either foot. He also has that desire and belief that he was going to score.
The talent is innate; the attitude to practice shows his professionalism.

TR1LL

Such things like worrying about how much power, the gk's position, angle and timing etc, are things that prevent other strikers from reaching this level of finishing. it's not even a thought with Mason.

Bournemouth is the perfect example. Running on the edge of the box with the GK screaming to his team " don't let him shoot " yet he still found an angle. If you watch it again, not only did he find the angle , it wasn't even a very powerful shot which makes it all the more extraordinary.

Being able to run at pace controlling the ball with both feet is a massive bonus as well.

Last edited:

Godfather

It’s been a long long time since I’ve seen a United player clean through on goal and have this degree of certainty he will score.

Didn’t happen with RvP. Didn’t happen with Rooney. You’d have to go back to Ruud Van Nistelrooy or our current manager to have that same feeling.
Couldn't agree more. There's not a single United player except Greenwood I'd expect to score from that angle yesterday.
Whenever he gets into a half decent shooting position I'm confident with him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His finishing is absolutely outstanding, I think two of the best he's scored are his disallowed goal against Copenhagen followed by his one against LASK.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I don’t know how to read that graph but it’s clearly that Greenwood, Haaland and Mbappe are the outstanding ones.
Further up = more goals per finish (or, more accurately, per expected goal)
Further right = more finishes (or, more accurately, expected goals) per game

Mbappe finishes significantly more than Greenwood, but Greenwood is far deadlier with his finishes. Ideally you want to be high up, and to the right (lots of shots and lots of goals).

Barney Bubbles

IMO the best thing about his finishes is that he picks the right choice almost every time. I very rarely hear commentators second guess where he tried to put the ball even if it doesn’t go in.
That to me is the makings of a world class finisher.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Further up = more goals per finish (or, more accurately, per expected goal)
Further right = more finishes (or, more accurately, expected goals) per game

Mbappe finishes significantly more than Greenwood, but Greenwood is far deadlier with his finishes. Ideally you want to be high up, and to the right (lots of shots and lots of goals).
Calling a shot attempt a finish just seems weird.