Greenwood or Martinelli

Brightonian

You're a nonspecific top club, and you have the chance to sign either Gabriel Martinelli or Mason Greenwood for the exact same price. Who do you go for?

Feel free to give answers as whatever type of generic club you fancy (European giants, PL top four) or as a specific club if you prefer - obviously they are different players who will fill different holes so it won't necessarily be a simple question of who's better.

For my money Martinelli looks the more gifted all-round footballer, and Greenwood the better natural finisher. Greenwood will go on to score more career goals, I'm confident of that, because he will keep on scoring goals through hot streaks and through cold. But whereas he looks certain to thrive at centre forward specifically, Martinelli could easily become a top player anywhere in a 'front three' or even as a #10. As a United fan I am obviously inclined to say Greenwood, and I think that would be my answer as any generic Premier League club too. But if I was Barcelona or Juventus or someone like that, I might just have to say Martinelli.

EDIT: Stats for reference:

Greenwood (age 18, born 1 October)

*two goals and 152 minutes of playing time here are in youth competitions

Martinelli: (age 18, born 18 June)

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really rate DCL but the glaring weakness in his game still is finishing despite him having a good goal record this season. I’d take Greenwood for Everton. His finishing is insanely good for his age and the accuracy he manages especially.

Nick7

Greenwood. Haven't seen Martinelli play and I hate his name. Sounds like the prick from the pub who tries to convince everyone he's cultured but is actually just Martin from the council flats.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Greenwood all day. This will go down the same route as the Rashford vs Iheanacho thread.

Brightonian

Greenwood all day. This will go down the same route as the Rashford vs Iheanacho thread.
I certainly hope so. But I was one of the many who called that as a total non-starter at the time, whereas I think Martinelli really has something. Of course United fans have seen a lot more of Greenwood, so that will be in his favour.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
There's a mentality difference as well. Greenwood scores equalising goals and doesn't celebrate, grabs the ball. Martinelli does it and celebrates like he's won a trophy.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Greenwood.

There are many gifted players that can fill different roles in a team, but by far the most expensive commodity is finishing, so I will always go for that first. I would love both and I think Martinelli will get lots of goals in his career too, but there is something special about how easily Greenwood seems to be able to finish even half chances. It’s so calm and clinical.

That is the most expensive thing in football, so in purely economical terms, Greenwood.

If I am a top English team, even more so, because he will be worth more in the future if we needed the money.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Money Ma$e Greenwood

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
There's a mentality difference as well. Greenwood scores equalising goals and doesn't celebrate, grabs the ball. Martinelli does it and celebrates like he's won a trophy.
He plays for Arsenal. What else do you expect?

bdecuc

I haven't seen much of Martinelli at all so can't offer a view on comparison. However I rate Greenwood really highly. He's a fair bit more than just a goalscorer. For example his passing is lovely. So if Martinelli is as good as him then fair play.

NYAS

I’m a bit surprised this is even a question. Martinelli is very good but Greenwood’s talent and potential is clearly on a different level.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood. His all round game is severely underappreciated, I've noticed a trend of opposition supporters relegating him to be just a really good finisher but he's so much more than that. I think the big decider from my point of view is that Martinelli is ahead physically which makes it easier for him to transition to adult football, Greenwood, whilst being younger and yet to fill out, is already the better player for my money.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I remember last time there was a thread on Rashford or Ikenacho and I thought that's absolutely ridiculous because Rashford was miles better. But in this one it's genuinely difficult to pick one although bought seem to play different positions.

Martinelli seems like a great buy by Arsenal and a potential class striker. Mason himself looks brilliant with a great blend of skill and maturity.

reddev3

Greenwood for the goals and two footedness but Martinelli is amazing as well. My personal front three for Arsenal is Martinelli left Auba Centre and Pepe Right.

cyberman

Greenwood has a fantastic all round game. He is more than a finisher

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Greenwood is underrated in terms of general play, he absolutely terrorized us in the youth cup last season and very, very few have done such in that tournament in recent times.

Nick7

I think Greenwood is underrated in terms of general play, he absolutely terrorized us in the youth cup last season and very, very few have done such in that tournament in recent times.
Yeah he’s a brilliant all round player. Hasn’t shown it that much in the first team due to age and playing a role in the team.

Utdstar01

Yes, for those that have seen him enough in the academy will know how good his all round game is. This myth that he lacks more to his game than goals is nonsense. It's mainly fans who have probably seen him just this season in parts and no more than that.

flappyjay

Greenwood. His all round game is severely underappreciated, I've noticed a trend of opposition supporters relegating him to be just a really good finisher but he's so much more than that. I think the big decider from my point of view is that Martinelli is ahead physically which makes it easier for him to transition to adult football, Greenwood, whilst being younger and yet to fill out, is already the better player for my money.
Guilty as charger though I am a United fan. First time I saw him I thought good finisher, but as he has gained confidence over the season I have seen him express himself and show that he is more than just a finisher. It's exciting thinking about what he will be once he is done growing.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Both scored against us. I’d choose Greenwood simply because of his goal scoring abilities, he looks so calm in front of goal from what I’ve seen of him.

AshRK

Greenwood any day. The guy is a great finisher for his age and his overall play is vastly underrated.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Greenwood. Haven't seen Martinelli play and I hate his name. Sounds like the prick from the pub who tries to convince everyone he's cultured but is actually just Martin from the council flats.
A balanced and unbiased analysis :D

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Well this is bollocks. It's like me saying, Martinelli puts on his kit like a professional on before a game.

Greenwood and Garner do this:

Elite mentality. Nothing wrong with celebrating a goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Greenwood.

1) Homegrown
2) British talent
3) Better all rounder
4) Two footed

Before anyone moans at 1 and 2 that's United's thing so it's only natural to be happy he's yet another club made gem ready for display.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Both very good prospects and very talent, Greenwood I think will go on to be the better player, he's already got a clinical side to him that Martinelli doesn't. I think Greenwood will eventually play no.9 (1st choice) and Martinelli slightly deeper/wider which will probably see them go very different way. If I had to pick it'd be Greenwood, just seems a little more calm when it matters.

OL29

They seem neck and neck at the moment, I think once Greenwood fills out and becomes a bit more explosive then he might edge it. His skill set seems so complete.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are pretty close, and this is Redcafe so everyone will say Greenwood anyway. Including myself, and that’s because as mentioned above, I think Ma$e will almost certainly be a top centre forward who will score a lot of goals, which you have to grab when they come by.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's not nearly enough hype around Greenwood

I'm mean come on

In his debut season which he was still 17 when it started

cyberman

They seem neck and neck at the moment, I think once Greenwood fills out and becomes a bit more explosive then he might edge it. His skill set seems so complete.
Im genuinely curious about this. How are they neck and neck? Martinelli only has 3 goals to his name? What else is he showing?