Greenwood vs Haaland

Do we really need Haaland when we have Greenwood ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Imagine an Arsenal forum created a thread questioning whether or not they should sign Mbappe, because they have Saka :lol:

Haaland and Greenwood aren't on the same level.

largelyworried

Haaland is one of the most natural finishers I've seen in a long time. He reminds of me of peak Ruud when he's in the penalty area, he always knows exactly what finish is required to get past the goalkeeper. If the ball comes at him in a slightly odd way, he can just adjust and shoot in one movement, which is why he scores so many. He chooses the finish based on the circumstances.

Greenwood has a great hit on him, but he's still at the point where he tries to take a touch or two if it doesn't come at him just right. If its rolled to him first time he can bang it in as well as anyone, but too often he's trying to take a touch, stand up the defender, make space and then shoot ,which is reducing his chances of scoring. A better finisher would just deal with it first time before everyone had chance to set themselves.

Haaland is a season or two ahead of Greenwood of course and players don't all develop at the same speed anyway. But at this point in time Id back Haaland to be the better player in the end.

swissgenius

I think the opposite is true.
I hope you're joking.
It's not even close right now and I really like what we've seen from Greenwood. Especially his 'natural' skills like decision making and positioning, his attacking-IQ, which are hard to develop later on.

But it remains to be seen if he'll ever be a force like Haaland is already. No brainer for me if we somehow can get him.

Tallis

Mason will get more games at #9 this season so it will be interesting to see how he develops in that striker role.

Haaland would obviously make us more of a force vs Mason. However, having Mason reassures me that even if we don’t sign Haaland, we could have a very competent No 9 to lead our line. Mason doesn’t have Haaland’s pace or physicality but he has attributes of his own which other strikers may not have - two footed, deceptive kick speed, can finish from sharp angles. This basically means that we can still compete even if we don’t sign Haaland

Lynty

I'm not even convinced Greenwood will be as World Class as some people think.

Progression is impossible to judge.

Haaland is already an elite level striker. Greenwood is far away from that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's just that I know Alfe well (we're old friends) and he hates it when people misspell his admittedly awkward Surname.
Did you meet him through the Jamaican delegation?

Scottynaldinho

Haaland is extraordinary athlete even if you disregard his age. He's an anomaly. A rare combination of strength, athleticism, finishing, ruthless attitude among other footballing attributes.

Greenwood on the other hand is a flair player with exceptional shooting ability that has potential to be a top level striker if he develops the way we want him to.

Right now, I'm not seeing the development going in the right direction for Mason because there's a hint of laziness in his attitude as evident by a couple of events last season. His form nosedived massively during that spell as well. Thankfully he has recovered and I really hope he has a breakout season.

People need to stop treating Haaland as white Lukaku. He's supreme. There's absolutely no comparison to be made here.

DSG

Haaland’s ceiling is multiple BallonD’Ors and multiple CL wins, depending on the club(s) he chooses to play for after another year at Dortmund. I watch a lot of Dortmund, and he’s that good. Physically, he’s probably one of the strongest strikers of all time and he’s ultra fast. But his true genius is his movement in the box and the final 3rd. Barring serious injury, he’s going to dominate for a decade. It’s a real argument as to who is better, Mbappe or Haaland.

Greenwood is already a very good player, but he’s miles behind Haaland at this point, both physically and movement. His technique may be better than Haaland, but size, strength and pace get you a lot more clear cut chances. I feel like Mason’s ceiling is Golden Boot of the PL or maybe PL player of the year. Nothing to sniff at, surely. Along with Rashford, maybe the best prospect we’ve developed from the academy in the last decade.

Haaland is not coming to United, so the poll is really not relevant. If he stays with Dortmund for one more year, he’s going to have his choice of clubs. Certainly, Real, PSG, Barca (if they can dig themselves out of financial jail), maybe City would be top of his list. He’s going to demand at least 500K per week, maybe more. There are literally 7 clubs that can afford those wages, the 4 above, us, Chelsea, and maybe Juventus.

IF Mason can get say, 20+ goals this season, partially from that central striker position, why would you pay for Haaland? So, my preference would be to see how Mase does over the next couple seasons.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Absolutely no contest atm. Harland is one of the best young strikers I've ever seen

GBBQ

Actually Greenwood plays better at RWF than as CF for us. Last season, he has only scored 1 goals in 6 games as CF, as compared to his 5 goals in 15 games as RWF.
Greenwood's knack for shooting probably means he will be best suited to a CF in the long run but he needs to learn more about general positioning, creating space, dragging defenders and anticipating where the ball is going to be to become more of a poacher. I think Cavani showed exactly how its done and will be a great player for greenwood to learn from.

But yeah its Haaland all day. All the attributes to be a world class striker and you'd nearly sign him just to stop him going to City or Chelsea.

NecssryEvil

Haaland seems to be the guy that would try to run through a brick wall to score a goal whereas Greenwood would try to dance around it. I want the guy the tries to go through a brick wall. My favorite goals by Halland are the ones where you see him come like a freight train from 30-40 yards behind the play to get a tap in with a defender or two hanging all over him. Not sure I have ever seen that from Greenwood. Still love Greenwood, but Haaland would look awfully good in red, made for the team.

I think we will have to live with comparing the two from a distance though, not sure United can pull it off with all the competition let alone the fees involved.

Abraxas

To me Greenwood is a wide forward until I see evidence to the contrary. It suits him, he plays well there, it's easy to imagine him playing off either side. It's where he has had all his success, most of his moments have been nice movements from these positions and getting a shot away, not instinctual positioning or sniffing out a goal. So I really don't know why we're obsessed with pigeon holing him as a CF. He might become one, but he just as easily might not. We would be bonkers to rule out Haaland if available because of this possibility.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Reminder, Haaland already has 20 CL goals, it's his birthday today, he's just turned 21.

Eto and Rooney for example scored 30 in their careers, RVP scored 25. Salah has scored 28, Mbappe 27.

He's a machine.

James Peril

It’s not even a discussion. Greenwood has a majestic ability to needle those balls into the corner, but his goals are a bit specific it seems - very few sitters and headers. And mentality? Seems to lack the killer instinct, the drive and ruthlessness. Haaland is a machine, he would run over Zlatan and Cantona to get to the end of the ball, nudging over Sir Alex as well, and we’re talking about training here. He scores all kinds of goals, he is close to a 100 in terms of mentality and Martial is like 20. That’s why Haaland scores 2, 3 goals, not just one. Greenwood is closer to Martial, he needs to up his mental game and cause some havoc to be discussed in the same sentence.

edcunited1878

There is no such thing as not enough quality options when it comes to sport. Would rather have a full cupboard rather than not.

It's not one or the other, it's about the team and certain sacrifices each player makes to ensure winning happens.

It's as if too many people don't remember Wazza busting a gut wherever on the pitch and just play football for the benefit of the team because he wanted to win before individual accolades.

Mason knows United. He would happily play wherever he's told and do whatever it takes to win, yet he's still talented to score goals and contribute.

RedStarUnited

Seems like a straightforward answer but I do wonder if you asked Barcelona if they would swap Pedri or Ansu Fatti for Foden or Sterling what their answers would be...

Number32

Even when he was a CF in the last game, Greenwood was still love running on wide area as RWF.

Remember the days when we though Rashford would be our future CF?

0le

Prefer Greenwood. Haaland looks like he may be a long lost son of Boris Johnson.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Footballers can often develop at different rates. Just becuase Haaland is ahead of many great footballers when they were the same age, it doesn't mean he'll end up a better footballer. We've just spent shitloads on Sancho, require a revamp of our midfield and bolstering of our defence. Let's see where greenwood is at a year from now. Besides, if we sign Haaland which we won't imo, he'll replace Cavani and Martial.

RedDevilRoshi

Other than Greenwood who else do we have up front long term? Cavani isn’t getting any younger and his contract is up at the end of the season so we don’t know if he will still be here beyond that. Martial is incredibly inconsistent and Rashford isn’t a striker.

Signing Haaland next summer if we can is simply a no fecking brainer. Him & Greenwood as the two options up front is simply a mouth watering prospect.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This hindering other player scare is really not that scary at all. Team packed with Greenwood and Haaland is exactly what Ole should aim in order to outscore our league opponents.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Even if Haaland is better than Mason, Mason's one of own, is plenty talented and means we can spend in other areas.

If we'd bought Haaland before BVB - like we obviously should have - it would have been the optimal solution.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Does anyone recall an ex footballer saying the prem would be too demanding for Haaland physically?

Cant remember for the life of me, but still sticks and makes me laugh so hard. The guy's a beast in terms of size at his age, as if he would be knocked over more easily than the top forwards in the prem today

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Put stats aside and watch them both play. Haaland is much further ahead. Anyone who thinks otherwise also believes their new girlfriend is hotter than the one that dumped them as soon as she got that modelling contract.

RuudTom83

If Greenwood played CF every game would he score 25 goals playing for Bayern or Dortmund in the coming season?

I don't think it would be a stretch to say YES tbh

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Put stats aside and watch them both play. Haaland is much further ahead. Anyone who thinks otherwise also believes their new girlfriend is hotter than the one that dumped them as soon as she got that modelling contract.
Weirdly I see more polished play in Greenwood. Haaland is explosive in acceleration and a physical specimen but his best moments are in the 12 yard box. He's extremely direct but I think Greenwood looks more comfortable in the tighter spaces, interlinking deeper and a general work rate.

Haaland comfortably the better striker though. I'm not disputing that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We can have both but Haaland seems the much better prospect right now, no doubt. Let's see if Greenwood really develops as some people believe

Eplel

You can't make an accurate comparison here, but I guarantee you that if Mason played in the Bundesliga he'd easily have 30+ goals/season too.

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don’t see the problem, if we want to win trophies again 4 players for the front 3 is necessary.

Sancho - Haaland - Greenwood
or:
Rashford - Haaland - Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.