Greenwood vs Haaland

Do we really need Haaland when we have Greenwood ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

Prefer Greenwood. Haaland looks like he may be a long lost son of Boris Johnson.
I’d understand this answer if one of the questions posed were «who’d you rather sleep with». So weird. Haaland is currently so far ahead it’s not even worth asking.

Nicolarra90

You can't even compare them.

Greenwood is a 19 years old kid
Haaland is a 25 years old whose id says otherwise.

Their playstyle is pretty different.

Haaland is already a superstar, Mason is in the making.
Maybe in 10 years Mason will be at his prime, and Haaland wasted like Rooney.

It's too hard to predict.

So yeah, if it is for this moment, go for Haaland, as he is already in the top 5 best CF. Mason might be for the future anyway.

DSG

Haaland is overrated and people will soon see this.
You can't make an accurate comparison here, but I guarantee you that if Mason played in the Bundesliga he'd easily have 30+ goals/season too.
Yup. The football world is clueless. @lenny_1248 and @Eplel are way more knowledgeable than top scouts and DoFs.

Hilariously bad takes here.

MrBest

You cannot compare two very different playing styles with each other and clearly two different trajectories. Haaland is hands down in better form now, and his career to date has evolved exponentially in 18 months. Greenwood somewhat plateaued last season, but has bags of potential and could quite easily be a 30 plus goals a year striker, should he focus on his god given talent.

Imagine if Haaland was around at the same time as Ronaldo, we would be writing off Ronaldo at 20. I remember back in them days many fans being frustrated with him, the rest is now history though I don't think Greenwood would ever reach Ronaldo's level. Also, look at Salah, written off at Chelsea and only reached his potential in his mid 20s and banging in 20 plus a season in the league. Kane became a goal machine early 20s, would you write him off?

Who cares if Haaland has scored more goals in the German league where only 2 or 3 teamsbare really any good, could he do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke?

Jokes aside, i back Greenwood to become class, quote me in 4 years if you need too.

Caesar2290

for all Greenwoods promise as a striker he has impressed me more playing out wide so far

I'm not convinced striker is his best position yet..

I would definitely want both at the club, no question
Some players take more time to mature into their roles. If I remember correctly RVP also started his career as a wide forward then slowly transitioning to a CF in his mid 20's before become the goal machine we all know and love.

Who knows, maybe Mason can repeat his story arc.

Edit: It's a shame it's not 1999 anymore and 4-4-2 isn't the go to formation. Imagine Greenwood playing off Haaland's shoulder. :drool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We won't get Haaland, but no question who is better. Haaland is a monster and Greenwood has a lot to prove, but can be a Van Persie regen still IMO. But that's definitely a slower development. I'm not sure if he'll be ready to be a starting CF for a while yet.

No nobody turns down a proven Champions League scorer like Haaland. It's moot anyway, Haaland will never play for United.

Greenwood could have a great career or he might end up having a solid premier league career at another club

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood's knack for shooting probably means he will be best suited to a CF in the long run but he needs to learn more about general positioning, creating space, dragging defenders and anticipating where the ball is going to be to become more of a poacher. I think Cavani showed exactly how its done and will be a great player for greenwood to learn from.

But yeah its Haaland all day. All the attributes to be a world class striker and you'd nearly sign him just to stop him going to City or Chelsea.
Or in other words, out of 5 things I would look for a CF, he is only good in one of those. Maybe in future he could developed more, but right now he is lacking abit for such role.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Think Greenwood will end up out wide rather than through the middle personally. Only way he plays up top is if we are extremely fluid with an interchanging front 3, this goes even further if we do switch to a 433 which requires a more physically dominant striker as compared to a 4231 which has the AM closer to stop that isolation.

Pscholes18

Haaland has proven he's a world beater. Any team that has t funds would would be absolutely mad not to try and get Haaland. Money plus players next summer.

Marcus

I am not sure about Haaland, but Greenwood is very weak at heading the ball. Unless he spectacularly improves, he will never be United's CF. He needs to do a Rooney, who in one off-season trained his heading so much that he started scoring most of his goals using his head at the start of that season. Or am I imagining this?

KennyBurner

Lets not be delusional, Haaland is a far superior talent to greenwood until proven otherwise. Greenwood needs to show us this season if thats true or not.

wise_old_man

Do we really need Haaland when we have Greenwood ?

If Haaland signs, that definitely will hinder Mason's development . No, I don't agree that he can play on right. He will need games as a striker and not as a winger.

Haaland is 21 and Mason is 20.

Haaland scored 13 goals in Bundesliga at the age of 19 while Mason scored 7 in EPL at the age of 19.

Haaland doubled his tally to 27 Bundesliga goals at the age of 20. Let's see how will Mason fare this season.

Just to put things into context, Kane scored 21 epl goals at the age of 21.

So if Greenwood is a superstar in making, he need games as CF and that won't happen with Haaland signing.

What do you think ?

Mods - can you add a poll ? @Damien
Peak Greenwood (If expectations are met) is Robin Van Persie.
Peak Haaland (If expectations are met) is Lewandowski.

Highfather_24

Hot take : I see Greenwood's future as a RF, not as a CF.

Kinda like Salah. Dont think he is a proper #9. Havent seen anything in his game that suggests he is. Right now on current ability, he is a very good RW, and an average CF.

CloneMC16

I love Mase, but if it's possible to sign Haaland, it would be insane to waste that chance. He is a freak of nature. I don't think it matters, either way. The chances of Haaland signing for us are not that good. I'm also not convinced that Greenwood will make the move to be our #9. I think he will continue to play as a RWF.

Mr Smith

Obviously Haaland is better, don't think anyone disputes that if we can sign him, we should. However if we can't, Greenwood is the reason we shouldn't just panic-buy someone else.

SecondFig

I'm a huge fan of Greenwood, and think he has great potential. But the problem with potential is that it doesn't always carry through - he could be an elite striker in 5 years time, he could also be sitting on the bench for West Ham. Haaland is already elite - if we can get him, we should try.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If Greenwood played CF every game would he score 25 goals playing for Bayern or Dortmund in the coming season?

I don't think it would be a stretch to say YES tbh
You can't make an accurate comparison here, but I guarantee you that if Mason played in the Bundesliga he'd easily have 30+ goals/season too.
To be fair, the detail that enthralls people the most, as far as the raw numbers are concerned, isn't just that Håland scored over 25 goals in the Bundesliga last season at rate of a goal every 89 minutes (a noteworthy accomplishment that is being diminished all too easily); but that he scored 20 total goals in the Champions League over the course of 14 matches (for context, Lewandowski scored 15 goals in 10 matches in his best ever season in 2019—20) before reaching his 21st birthday. No young striker, even the great prodigies of yesteryear, had done what he managed to do in the the most celebrated club tournament on a statistical level — ever, and not just in a specific era — that rewriting of history books in logic-defying manner is what makes him a bit extraordinary.

Now, he might be an early bloomer in the midst of a prolonged purple patch that isn't truly indicative of his median production level over the course of a career...and will likely never boast the underappreciated all-round brilliance of Benzema, Eto'o or Villa as a center-forward even when he reaches his prospective prime, but when you combine Håland's anomalous physical tools (most prominently a devastating turn of pace in an Ibrahimović-esque frame) with his already masterful movement, unnatural mentality and the brunt of quantitative evidence thus far, you are looking at someone who is tantalizingly close to establishing himself as the benchmark of Champions League goal-plundering in the post-Cristiano/Messi/Lewandowski period.

That is why so many major clubs have expressed an interest in acquiring him, even at the risk of dealing with a crafty hard-liner like Mino Raiola. Some players simply possess an extra dimension in the big stage from the beginning, and shouldn't be scaled by just league performance as that's an inadequate barometer; Mbappé was/is a prime example in several competitions, Håland looks like another in domestic and continental football, Pedri put forth a good case over recent months; whether Greenwood reaches that rarest of rare grades in the future (particularly in the Champions League for United) remains to be seen, and as such, requires a leap of faith — and that is aside from the fact that many envision him as a prolific wide forward over the long term, rather than a line-leading marksman.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So after one game , Greenwood was brilliant but Haaland was a monster.

Again, Greenwood was kind of playing his first game as Striker after a long time. Really looking forward to their contributions this season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Cant really vote in this one, because I don't think getting Haaland will hinder Greenwood's development.

Modern football fans seem way more invested in the notion of a first XI rather than a squad these days, which is odd because we've got perfect and very recent examples in our own club of how having sub par depth can hinder you over a course of a season.

If we can get Haaland we obviously can't decide not to, and i see no reason why any 3 of Sancho, Haaland, Greenwood & Rashford as a forward line won't be the envy of world football

Dread Devil

I have been so impressed with Greenwood’s all round play, that I don’t think we should make a decision on Haaland until the end of the season…..we have Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood with Martial, Cavani and James….that’s two for every position without talking about Diallo, Elanga etc….no need to rush into buying anymore stars….let’s see who is hungry enough from the crop we have.

laughtersassassin

Not voting on the poll as I don't agree with the options.

We should sing Halaand. It won't hinder Masons development imo

r1z3mu

Greenwood is our player. Haaland is not. So Greenwood is better until Haaland puts red shirt on :smirk:. Jokes aside, I think right now Haaland is ahead - he is already superstar. Greenwood is superstar in making - almost there but needs maybe another year.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What kind of poll is that, if you don't have any answers in between? If Haaland comes Greenwood can switch to play on the flanks, play with him up top, or even play behind the striker.. Yes could hinder his development a bit but could catapult him into showing his absolute best to get over him...

For the record, Haaland is the stats people favourite, Mason is mine, higher potential, that doesn't mean we should buy the second best(or first best young striker in the world) to play them together..After Cavani and Martial leave, there's a space in the squad and even more competition providing us with incredbile depth.

Welbeckham

Having both would be unbelievable. For me, Håland is the most special thing there has been for a long time and if we have the slightest chance to get him, we should.

I don’t understand the obsession over Greenwood’s position, Salah always scores a gazillion goals and he hardly plays as the most central attacker. Greenwood is a super versatile player and signing a more natural CF should not ruin his development.

All I ask people to do is imagine Greenwood was at another club, everything else was exactly the same from his number of goals to the goals he scored, and we were able to sign him… would people not be very excited to sign him?

Well we don’t have to spunk £80–£120m on him because he’s from our academy and we’ll have the pleasure of seeing a wonder kid becoming a world class

tjb

This shouldn't be a poll right now. But I really don't see us actually getting Haaland. Partially due to this and Raiola being his agent. Even if we bid, I don't think we have the level of desperation a Madrid or City would have to get him. Adding to that, his asking wage doesn't fit our wage bill and in truth I won't want it to. Look at what overpriced wages have done to the two Spanish clubs, Haaland is good, but not worth it. There is every chance he never becomes as goof as Lewandowski , which isn't to say that its not good, but that's not Neymar level of talent (I'm not even going to mention the two aliens). If he came in at 300k that would be fine. The problem with anything higher than that is players like Bruno ( who have been extraordinary) will start to demand wages at that level...we simply aren't that type of club.

Momochiru

I don't think it's between Greenwood and Haaland for a single spot. Both can play in the same team very well. If anyone loses from us signing Haaland it would probably be Martial. I can see us being very successful in the next 5-6 years with Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho and Haaland alternating for the front 3 positions with Bruno behind them.

The only issue I have with Haaland is his agent, however if we sign him for a low fee (as his release clause is reported) for a 5+1 year contract and he leaves after 4-5 years for Madrid for double the fee it's not such a huge problem. Hopefully we can win some PL/CL titles in those 4-5 years and then profit from the sale, it's a win-win.

Eli Zee

All I ask people to do is imagine Greenwood was at another club, everything else was exactly the same from his number of goals to the goals he scored, and we were able to sign him… would people not be very excited to sign him?

Well we don’t have to spunk £80–£120m on him because he’s from our academy and we’ll have the pleasure of seeing a wonder kid becoming a world class
If he was at a different club, he would probably not be nearly as hyped tbh.

diarm

Haaland is further along in terms of physicality and development, which you'd expect from a lad who is more than a year older, and built stronger than Greenwood is.

He's also playing week in, week out in a league that is more accommodating to younger players, still finding their way. He's done it in the CL as well, which again speaks to his physique, as well as the confidence he gains from banging them in in the Bundesliga ever weekend.

I don't look at the two of them and think Haaland is necessarily the more natural finisher though. He's a top class in that department no doubt, but Greenwood is as natural a finisher as you'll ever see as well.

He was always likely to take a little longer to develop than a player with Haaland's build, but I think this time next year there will be far more meat to this discussion than there is this summer.

I'd also back a player with Greenwood's build to play at a higher level for longer into his 30's than a Haaland as well.

They're both top class talents and have huge futures ahead of them. Haaland is well ahead now, but the idea that he will always be is very premature for me. I remember being called an idiot by fellow United fans for suggesting Ronaldo would end up the bigger talent than Rooney when he was first making his mark.

Physical development plays a huge part of how good players look in their late teens.

Pscholes18

Haaland is further along in terms of physicality and development, which you'd expect from a lad who is more than a year older, and built stronger than Greenwood is.

He's also playing week in, week out in a league that is more accommodating to younger players, still finding their way. He's done it in the CL as well, which again speaks to his physique, as well as the confidence he gains from banging them in in the Bundesliga ever weekend.

I don't look at the two of them and think Haaland is necessarily the more natural finisher though. He's a top class in that department no doubt, but Greenwood is as natural a finisher as you'll ever see as well.

He was always likely to take a little longer to develop than a player with Haaland's build, but I think this time next year there will be far more meat to this discussion than there is this summer.

I'd also back a player with Greenwood's build to play at a higher level for longer into his 30's than a Haaland as well.

They're both top class talents and have huge futures ahead of them. Haaland is well ahead now, but the idea that he will always be is very premature for me. I remember being called an idiot by fellow United fans for suggesting Ronaldo would end up the bigger talent than Rooney when he was first making his mark.

Physical development plays a huge part of how good players look in their late teens.
We'll just be a stepping stone for Haaland. So Greenwood, providing he still develops as he gets older is our long term solution

Pavl3n

Well, no one can stand toe to toe with Haaland's numbers at the moment. 93 games and 95 goals in all competitions since his debut for RB Salzburg. 20 of those goals coming in 18 CL games and he's just 21. Power, speed, strength. Amazing player.

But don't be writing off Greenwood. I see special talent in this kid. I think this season we'll see a lot of good things from him.

Green_Red

Tough one. Don't think I'd like Greenwood to be negatively affected by signing Haaland, but Haaland is quality. How many of his goals last season where assists from Sancho? Big loss that, might affect his numbers this year, not going by the start he's had, but over the season. There's always the question about the strength in depth of Premier League clubs vs Bundesliga clubs. It's a bit like playing golf, each hole has a difficulty index, football is a bit like that. In that regard comparing the numbers isn't apples for apples, but there's no doubt today Haaland is a better forward.

laughtersassassin

We'll just be a stepping stone for Haaland. So Greenwood, providing he still develops as he gets older is our long term solution
This is nonsense. If we are winning CLs and Title we won't be. If we aren't we will be.

Nothing wrong with that.

Sure maybe even if we where winning he'd move on after 5 years but again nothing wrong with that. Rather have him and win some stuff than not have him.

This thought that you shouldn't buy a player because they might leave is ridiculous. As long as we are smart worst case we'd make a profit!

To compete with City long term it's better to have Both!

Status
Not open for further replies.