Greenwood vs Haaland

Do we really need Haaland when we have Greenwood ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Why isn’t there a third and most likely option where Greenwood continues to play off the right with Haaland central?

Polar

What happened with the our competitive philosophy? Are we not allowed to rotate between quality attackers anymore:eek:

If he was at a different club, he would probably not be nearly as hyped tbh.
Vinicius Jr 19: 3 full La Liga seasons averages 3 goals each season, or 83 matches 9 goals. Cost £40m

Joa Felix 20: 58 matches 13 Goals. Cost over £100m

Kulusevski 21. 74 Matches 14 goals. Cost £35m

Halaand 21. 133 matches 93 Goals. Stats at the age of 18 39 matches 14 Goals many of which were in the second and 3rd division of Norway.

Greenwood 18, 66 matches 18 goals cost free.
You might not see it now. But the generational talent is Greenwood. If both were same age, people would much rather Greenwood. The age difference is only 3 years and by the looks of things it won’t take Greenwood 4-6 seasons to become a 20 plus goals a season striker. Other than “the grass is always greener on the other side” there is no need for a marquee striker when Cavani goes.

Last edited:

Jaykespeare88

Don't care where he plays as long as he plays, his ALWAYS been tidy on the ball, rarely gives it away and takes a fantastic touch receiving, it's a real dilemma when Cavani leaves but I always advocate for a proper no9, if Martial can't produce go with Mason, Rashford, haalaand, Sancho front four

kirk buttercup

------------------------- Haaland---------------
---‐----‐ Sancho ----------------- Greenwood ------

Looks Good doesn't it.

Dozer

Vinicius Jr 19: 3 full La Liga seasons averages 3 goals each season, or 83 matche. Cost £40m

Halaand 21. 133 matches 93 Goals. Stats at the age of 18 39 matches 14 Goals many of which were in the second and 3rd division of Sweden.

You might not see it now. But the generational talent is Greenwood.

Haaland has never played in Sweden

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Although I selected Halaand option but I don't think they play in same position to hamper his development.

Wicked_Badger

Vinicius Jr 19: 3 full La Liga seasons averages 3 goals each season, or 83 matches 9 goals. Cost £40m

Halaand 21. 133 matches 93 Goals. Stats at the age of 18 39 matches 14 Goals many of which were in the second and 3rd division of Norway.

You might not see it now. But the generational talent is Greenwood. If both were same age, people would much rather Greenwood. The age difference is only 3 years and by the looks of things it won’t take Greenwood 4-6 seasons to become a 20 plus goals a season striker. Other than “the grass is always greener on the other side” there is no need for a marquee striker when Cavani goes.

Greenwood is 19. 20 in 2 months.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Remember people seriously arguing that we shouldn’t sign Haaland to block Martial’s development.

Greenwood is looking as if he could be great, but he and Haaland could be superb as two parts of a front three.

Greenwood is 19. 20 in 2 months.
Great point… Also Felix is 21 and will be 22 in 3 months. Vinicius is 21. Apart from those two ages and Greenwood’s as a few have been quick to point out, all goal stats are accurate for league. And just points out what a talent Greenwood is for his age, and his doing it at the highest level.

MalcolmTucker

Why do people insist on young English attackers being centre forwards? People were saying Rashford was a centre forward for 2 or 3 seasons before everyone realised he was better on the left. Same could be said about Walcott (and Rooney, to a lesser extent), and now Greenwood. Mason has played his best football from the right and I see no reason for him to not be able to maximise his talents from that position. In the modern game wide forwards can be primary goalscorers so it shouldn't hinder him at all. Haaland is a rare talent and if we can get him then it's a no brainer.

Ludens the Red

Remember people seriously arguing that we shouldn’t sign Haaland to block Martial’s development.

Greenwood is looking as if he could be great, but he and Haaland could be superb as two parts of a front three.
:mad: This still enrages me to this day. I mean it had absolutely no bearing on us not signing him but still.

MattofManchester

I feel like this season will be make or break for Mason to secure the CF role, given we'll be in the market for Haaland next season.
I do feel he's still too young and underdeveloped for that, though.

Everything about the kid screams he will be something special in the future, and it's clear our manager sees no future for him as the RW, so it will be interesting to see what happens from next season.

Kiwi Man

Supports
Liverpool
I admire Greenwood a lot but Haaland is a step above both in current ability and potential, the label 'generational talent' gets thrown about too easy nowadays but Haaland is just that.

If City don't go for Kane and wait for him next year I'm extremely worried for the league and my beloved LFC can kiss the league goodbye for another 30 years haha

Okey

Both please. Greenwood can go on to become as great as we all hope off the right. A certain Mo Salah hasn't done badly from that position. Haaland can play up top.

Adcuth

Mason played up front against Leeds but his goal came from a ball to him on the left wing. It doesn't matter where he plays

In Rainbows

Why do people insist on young English attackers being centre forwards? People were saying Rashford was a centre forward for 2 or 3 seasons before everyone realised he was better on the left. Same could be said about Walcott (and Rooney, to a lesser extent), and now Greenwood. Mason has played his best football from the right and I see no reason for him to not be able to maximise his talents from that position. In the modern game wide forwards can be primary goalscorers so it shouldn't hinder him at all. Haaland is a rare talent and if we can get him then it's a no brainer.
Rashford was a winger/10 at youth. Greenwood excelled as a striker at youth level. He also played as a 10 when he was younger, but he shined as a striker much more so than our past youth strikers. There is no forcing going on here. He's a much better fit than Rashford was for that position.

lex talionis

Today: Haaland > Greenwood. Next season is anyone's guess. If there's a possibility of bringing in Haaland next season, I'm sure we can find a way to make it work regardless of Greenwood's development this season.

Womp

idiot
When Pogba leaves.

Feck it:

Greenwood---------Haaland
Rashford--------------Sancho
Bruno--------------------DM

:devil:

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
I meant Norway. Thank you for pointing out my error.
He made his debut in the Norwegian first tier with Molde FK under Solskjaer two months shy of his 17th birthday. First season ended 4 goals in 20 app, and second season 16 goals in 30. Then he hit a goal per game in Austria, including CL. So all of his goals were in first tier. Point is he's had a steady rise each year no matter the league, and he really took off from age 19.

He developed his play under so different conditions than Greenwood, and as such had his international level breakthrough about a year later in age. Well, not quite true, as he scored 9 goals in one U23 Norway match at age 18. Him and Mason are so different in style, I can't see why it shouldn't work with both of them. Anyway, it's a much bigger picture than just that, so..

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I really like Greenwood and think he will be great player for us, but Haaland is just on another level.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
92 people who voted no need their head checked. Reminds me of the infamous Martial v Messi thread after his first seaso. where majority picked Martial. There’s weird fascination for every young and promising player and their development being “hindered” by signing better players.

Haaland is putting up numbers at age 19/21 which strikers in their prime do. Anybody who’s watched him play will know he’d tear up the Premier League if he ever came here. His attributes are so unique, a man of his size shouldn’t be that quick.

Greenwood is promising but we already saw him have a huge dip in performance last season, which is to be expected at his age. Whereas, Haaland has gone from strength to strength every passing year. Outside of this forum, this wouldn’t even be a debate. Haaland is a miles better player/talent than Greenwood.

KennyBurner

Haaland is on another level and its an unfair comparison. We have already started putting unnecessary expectations comparing him to Haaland.

Mithrals

There is no way we could call ourselves a "big club" if we didn't seriously look at getting Håland in the team.
My biggest worry is not that we will not be able to get him, but rather that he goes city. If he goes to another club in PL I don't think we have the slightest chance to win the league until he leaves.
Hulk like Strong, Lightning fast, fantastic movement in the box and around defenders. Speaking of, defenders just seems to bounce off him like they run into walls. Great balance, first touch, sublime finishing, and supreme mental attributes.
And only 21 years old, he will get even better.

Håland going on the market is a transfer event that will only be eclipsed when he swaps clubs again next time.
Yes, he is that good.

That all said, I love Greenwood. Both can prosper, one does not come at the cost of the other. We often see improvements in the squad when there are competition for spots.

Gums

I chose option 3 just because I don't think we should be deciding one way or the other without considering the bigger squad picture. We shouldn't be talking about Greenwood and/or Haaland in isolation, without considering other areas (DM) that could have a much larger impact on our overall performance.

So, I would only sign Haaland if we manage to close our bigger areas of weakness first or at the same time. In the same way, I think Grealish will not improve City very much - not because he's bad, just because they have other areas that are in more need of strengthening - I think we clearly need to find a midfield solution first.

If we do sign Haaland however, it shouldn't and wouldn't be to replace Greenwood. I don't see them competing for one specific spot. We have fantastic offensive players already, who aren't bound to a specific position throughout a match. We can mix and match in ways other teams can only dream of. I'm excited to see if we'll be able to consistently show it throughout this season. I'm optimistic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know why I selected No. Maybe because Yes is framed poorly. I see no reason for signing Haaland being an excuse for being unable to develop Greenwood. Greenwood isn't even a static forward, he can drift around the pitch and influence the game in many ways

Marwood

Both please. Greenwood can go on to become as great as we all hope off the right. A certain Mo Salah hasn't done badly from that position. Haaland can play up top.
Where do Sancho and Rashford play in that scenario?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think eventually there'd be that big a difference between Haaland and Greenwood. Not saying Greenwood will start scoring at an insane rate (may happen, may not happen), but the difference between the two will be pretty small once Greenwood is 22-24 and is developed physically.

Technically, I do believe that Greenwood is better and he has that burst of pace to break away from a defender, however Haaland is quite a beast and has had an exceptional scoring rate. I'd love to see both of them playing together and tormenting defenders

Morpheus 7

You need depth and Cavani will be gone after this season. People need to stop thinking of the starting 11 playing every game. Haaland and Greenwood being fed by Bruno and Sancho is the stuff of nightmares.

ForeverRed1

If you can get haaland, you get haaland. He would replace pretty much any striker in the world.

if you want to win trophies you don’t pass up on a player of that calibre, especially when every top team would have him.

Dozer

If you can get haaland, you get haaland. He would replace pretty much any striker in the world.

if you want to win trophies you don’t pass up on a player of that calibre, especially when every top team would have him.
Agreed.

He reminds me of Van Nistelrooy, but with more pace. 4 star attackers (Haaland, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford) into 3 positions is perfectly acceptable for a team aspiring to reach the latter stages of every competition and play 60-odd games a season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm sorry but there's no scenario in the world where not signing Haaland is a sensible decision for any football club.

Status
Not open for further replies.