Greta Thunberg

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Surprised the kid doesn't have her own thread.

Rob Liddell, BBC Studios Executive Producer said: “Climate change is probably the most important issue of our lives so it feels timely to make an authoritative series that explores the facts and science behind this complex subject. To be able to do this with Greta is an extraordinary privilege, getting an inside view on what it’s like being a global icon and one of the most famous faces on the planet.”
The replies to that tweet aren't all pretty :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Greta's class. It's bemusing the amount of vitriol that is thrown her way. I like her for the simple fact that so many grown men and women seem to be absolutely seething over this child.

OleBoiii

Greta's class. It's bemusing the amount of vitriol that is thrown her way. I like her for the simple fact that so many grown men and women seem to be absolutely seething over this child.
Seen this? :lol:

Sweet Square

Best reasoning I've seen as to why this happens

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s weird how people act like she’s 12 years old when she’s actually 17. Barely a kid.

The hate she gets is very telling of society today and why the world is a mess.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I saw a Twitter thread exposing the weird sexual tone so many old men take when they are getting riled up about her. It had thousands of replies with people retweeting any tweets guilty of it into the thread and the amount of those that subsequently deleted their post out of embarrassment was pretty telling. Really fecking creepy stuff though, lots of "Naughty girl" and "Needs spanking" sort of things. Absolute creatures.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It’s weird how people act like she’s 12 years old when she’s actually 17. Barely a kid.

I think that goes both ways though, it's equally telling/worrying to me that it's a teenager the (Western) world "picks" to lead on this issue.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think that goes both ways though, it's equally telling/worrying to me that it's a teenager the (Western) world "picks" to lead on this issue.
Unfortunately people on mass don't work rationally and a middle aged leading expert in their field probably wouldn't have gone viral. People paid attention because it was different and that's what catapulted her to the forefront.

nimic

something nice
Scout
She wasn't picked, she picked herself. Which is sort of the point. The world needed (still needs) a jolt to really understand the crisis it's in, and what better way than for the youth to show the way?

Reactions: crappycraperson

OleBoiii

To be fair, she's not really leading this issue. Things spiralled out of control and now she is "stuck" as the main symbol. I like Greta, but I don't turn to her for knowledge or guidance.

Greta herself also keeps stressing that we should listen to the actual scientists.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To be fair, she's not really leading this issue. Things spiralled out of control and now she is "stuck" as the main symbol. I like Greta, but I don't turn to her for knowledge or guidance.

Greta herself also keeps stressing that we should listen to the actual scientists.
I mean:
“Climate change is probably the most important issue of our lives so it feels timely to make an authoritative series that explores the facts and science behind this complex subject. To be able to do this with Greta is an extraordinary privilege,

I think for a lot/most people it doesn't really go much further than what Greta says or people write about her.

GBBQ

I mean she is not actually taking the lead on the issue, she's symbolic of the issue at hand and how it is going to impact her generation. Its good to have that focal point that gets people talking.

Dante

Average bang
As much as I agree with her, I find her annoying. I still can't figure out why she's famous.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Great Slavoj clip, he's totally right there. And also poor doctor who will have to convince him not to touch his face if coronavirus gets to europe. He'll be one of the first to go.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
She’s literally only famous because she’s a kid it’s a novelty effect, as she gets older she will fade away as nobody wants to hear a 20 year old Swedish woman throwing a tantrum.

She’s said absolutely nothing that people aren’t already aware of and she’s offering no solutions. Ironically leaving a bigger carbon footprint than most people.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
She’s literally only famous because she’s a kid it’s a novelty effect, as she gets older she will fade away as nobody wants to hear a 20 year old Swedish woman throwing a tantrum.

She’s said absolutely nothing that people aren’t already aware of and she’s offering no solutions. Ironically leaving a bigger carbon footprint than most people.
This.

I know what she stands for is right, but she’s pious and irritating.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So is she flying around the world?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

I think maybe because she looks more like a child than a young woman. You don't see many 17-year-olds who have their hair in plaits.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Rich kids behaving in a self righteous manner are pretty clearly irritating no?

Not to mention the hypocrisy of her own carbon footprint.
So can politicians not argue for higher taxes without already paying said higher taxes voluntarily?

Its peculiar. The same people who adore her complain nobody listens to experts anymore. Shes disliked because shes extremely aggressive and self righteous in telling people what to do, without providing any solutions to the problem whatsoever.

Shes as annoying as any slightly odd teenager would be when throwing a bit of a tantrum, but we are beaming her around the world doing it. Shes going to have serious mental issues when her 15 minutes are over.

NoLogo

What exactly is irritating about her?
I'm personally totally okay with her and her message and I think it's a very important one for young people to make because it's a future they will have to live in and if we ruin it for them they are rightfully pissed about it. I think the only thing I really don't like is the circus surrounding her, making her into some kind of messiah, I always hated this kind of behavior but that irritation isn't about her and much more about our hype fueled media.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The comments to the tweet are remarkable.

All that talk about “an agenda”. You’d think that every sane person would want as much focus on climate change as possible. And here’s a 17-year old Swedish girl with Aspergers Syndrome getting abuse for telling us we need to care.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
So is she flying around the world?

If she can avoid it she doesn’t but what people fail to see is her journeys on daddies carbon fibre boat, yeah it seems good on the surface until you research how carbon fibre is manufactured and how many toxic substances it gives out Which are extremely harmful to humans and the environment.

What exactly is irritating about her?
Like I wrote in the above quote and here it’s the sheer hypocrisy, she was named time magazine person of the year (which is a joke in itself) but she was more than happy to have her face plastered on the front of it and have a whole spread about her and interview, did she even think about all the trees that were cut down throughout this magazines history in order to make the magazines, in turn Seriously damaging the environment.

I would’ve had more respect for her if she turned down that accolade because again it goes against everything she’s campaigning for.

Tiber

I have no issue with her. But do wish the BBC wouldn't create a huge headline everytime she blows her nose.

OleBoiii

Like I wrote in the above quote and here it’s the sheer hypocrisy, she was named time magazine person of the year (which is a joke in itself) but she was more than happy to have her face plastered on the front of it and have a whole spread about her and interview, did she even think about all the trees that were cut down throughout this magazines history in order to make the magazines, in turn Seriously damaging the environment.

I would’ve had more respect for her if she turned down that accolade because again it goes against everything she’s campaigning for.
If you're going to be person of the year anyways, why not take the opportunity to further your cause? You have to think about the big picture. The magazines will be printed anyways.

I don't see what's hypocritical about her? She genuinely lives what she preaches. Long-distance travel is a challenge for anyone who cares about the environment, but at least she makes an effort.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

True, and she’s not even a kid! Just looks and I suppose acts young.

Halftrack

Its peculiar. The same people who adore her complain nobody listens to experts anymore. Shes disliked because shes extremely aggressive and self righteous in telling people what to do, without providing any solutions to the problem whatsoever.
Her thing is literally telling people to listen to experts, so I'm not even sure what you're getting at?
If she can avoid it she doesn’t but what people fail to see is her journeys on daddies carbon fibre boat, yeah it seems good on the surface until you research how carbon fibre is manufactured and how many toxic substances it gives out Which are extremely harmful to humans and the environment.

I don't think it's hypocrisy. The boat already exists, the trees will be chopped down and mulched, and the magazine printed and circulated regardless of what she does. Using them to further her cause is just plain old pragmatism. The damage has been done/will be done regardless, so why not use it to do something positive?

GBBQ

You're right, she should preach her message from a cave and hope everyone hears it.

Come on man, you protest too much! Its ok to admit you don't like her and its nothing to do with hypocrisy.

Smores

So you're against any climate campaign that aims to assert pressure or keep the issue in the public domain? Especially if it's said by a woman?

Are you against the 'say no to racism campaign' because we're already aware of it and it doesn't offer any solutions?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You're right, she should preach her message from a cave and hope everyone hears it.

Come on man, you protest too much! Its ok to admit you don't like her and its nothing to do with hypocrisy.
I don’t like her but there’s only a little hypocrisy involved. Yeah she does good and moans and cries on stage and embarrass politicians but I think she seems put upto it, even brainwashed and scared from it, it seems her speeches are well prepared and when she has to speak off the cuff has no answers.

there’s also the pictures of her with all her single use plastics, (even joe public tries Not to use), the stupid supporting T-shirt’s she wears the same as her parents and then lies, the lies in the crowded train the company picked her up on.

yes climate change is worrying, yes it’s good that there’s someone trying to highlight it even more but I just can’t shake the feeling she’s just a total puppet pushed and put up to it without even being aware because the public are dense enough to listen to a crying girl in plaits more than they would a genuine well spoken adult.

so I guess it’s the people behind her is have more issue with than Greta herself