Greta Thunberg

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Im not Gretas fan really but being an activist is what she's famous for and being arrested just catupults her into the news. Its not detrimental attention for her cause imo.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Im not Gretas fan really but being an activist is what she's famous for and being arrested just catupults her into the news. Its not detrimental attention for her cause imo.
Maybe not in her case, but she does risk the story becoming about her rather than the cause.
When she first hit the news she was a forthright, principled kid. What she was saying hit home because of her youth, and because she was confident enough to take on world leaders and she was right. She’s still right but she should be above being arrested. I just feel like she is losing the moral high ground if she joins the mob. She’s a leader, and has inspired millions. She should be leading the fight, not getting easily silenced by arrest. It give the establishment press a chance to cast her in a dim light too.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I wouldn’t pay attention to jailbird activists with a criminal record. I only follow good and law abiding people like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks or Gandhi. Greta should follow their example.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maybe not in her case, but she does risk the story becoming about her rather than the cause.
When she first hit the news she was a forthright, principled kid. What she was saying hit home because of her youth, and because she was confident enough to take on world leaders and she was right. She’s still right but she should be above being arrested. I just feel like she is losing the moral high ground if she joins the mob. She’s a leader, and has inspired millions. She should be leading the fight, not getting easily silenced by arrest. It give the establishment press a chance to cast her in a dim light too.
Well i think if Greta glued her face to the road it could be a perennial photo where JSO meets EXR meets Greta thundberg which sets the world alight. Followed by the efforts of trying to unglue her.

Plant0x84

Cry harder.
Great rebuttal of my arguement. Congrats on reaching puberty. :rolleyes:
So this is Greta v the weak and the stupid?

While that may be true, they are the ones mostly polluting the debate, not the planet.
It will. She's literally a global hero. Piers Morgan and you obviously won't like her.
I have never said I don’t like her. She really doesn’t bother me either way, I just think she should be above these kind of shenanigans.
Shame on you for electing to get personal rather than reply to my specific point. Maybe it’s you and the likes of you ‘polluting the debate’ by resorting to insults rather than discussing the issues. You also set a fabulous example in your role as forum staff - really furthering the debate. I’m sure there is a rule about criticising the post not the poster, but what would I know? :wenger:
Nah, she's not pissing me off, and I couldn't give less of a feck about this sort of "criminal record".
You are but one person in a global population of 8bn. I guess she has never stopped you getting to work to make ends meet, stopped an ambulance getting to a critically ill loved one or caused an accident which you were involved in.
In fairness she isn’t pissing me off either, I too couldn’t care less but I still believe there are better ways to make her point.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Shame on you for electing to get personal rather than reply to my specific point. Maybe it’s you and the likes of you ‘polluting the debate’ by resorting to insults rather than discussing the issues. You also set a fabulous example in your role as forum staff - really furthering the debate. I’m sure there is a rule about criticising the post not the poster, but what would I know? :wenger:
I didn't mean to upset you. I was joking and I apologise.

Plant0x84

I didn't mean to upset you. I was joking and I apologise.
Fair enough, apology accepted. I’m not upset, my comment about her being a twat for getting herself arrested again was just a throw away comment and it’s seems to have caused a commotion .
It’s hard to tell on here sometimes because some will joke about anything, whilst others post things that seem like mockery in total seriousness. Appreciate you setting this straight however.

edit - for future reference btw if you are taking the piss I’m more of a ‘you’re a twat and so is your face’ kinda guy than the subtlety you displayed. I’m all for banter but not always awake enough to understand!

Reactions: moses

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the major point of disagreement you're going to have with many people on here is that many revolutionary figures (arguably most) were arrested. It's a strange thing to say she should be above arrest because by definition if you're trying to enact such significant change, you're going to be doing things the establishment don't like.

Pankhurst, MLK, Parks, organisers at the stonewall protests, as well as genuine revolutionaries who protested for governmental downfall or change across the world have been arrested.

Not to say she's anything like these figures but to say that someone who wants to enact significant change should be above arrest is an odd thing to say.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Greta is doing much more for change than i do from my comfy bed/couch, and i assume more than +90% (very generous and conservativly) on this forum.

And influenced other people from her generation that will eat all the shit that my generation and previously will leave them when we die.

If anyone dont like what she does and think there is a better way, go and do it.

Prophet_of_Doom

This kind of relates to my comment in the 'if we stopped harping on about climate change' thread. I've been to two conferences at which Greta has been a key speaker (largely because I have two young kids who are shit scared they're not going to have a planet when they're my age so I take them along to these things because they want to know what they can do).

At both conferences, GT was by far the least interesting speaker, despite the fact that she was clearly the reason everyone was there and she got the biggest round of applause at both events. Both had panels of half a dozen young climate activists, all of whom were incredibly smart, erudite, passionate and determined to do everything within their power to make change. At both events, Greta almost came across as a disinterested and sulky teen compared to her peers and really didn't have anything particularly interesting to say, or any great insights to share. But. And this is the big but. The other activists might not have existed if it weren't for Greta. She paved the way. And both of those conferences wouldn't have been sold out if it hadn't been for Greta. What she says or does now is almost irrelevant. It's what she represents and how she's inspired those who have followed in her footsteps.