Greta Thunberg

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Who said anything about making the poor people in the the east suffer?
Just all those scientists talking about the clearly understood effects of climate change and who will be affected the most

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Who said anything about making the poor people in the the east suffer?
You seem to burying your head in the sand with regards to the main drivers and reasons of the situation were in. It’s not an overpopulation matter no matter how easy it is for you to blame the East.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You seem to burying your head in the sand with regards to the main drivers and reasons of the situation were in. It’s not an overpopulation matter no matter how easy it is for you to blame the East.
I'm not trying to blame the east i'm just pointing out that on the global level, overpopulation + growth = consumption = co2 emissions. It's not about blame because I don't consider it sinfull for the developing countries to want to have the same things as we do in the west.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'm not trying to blame the east i'm just pointing out that on the global level, overpopulation + growth = consumption = co2 emissions. It's not about blame because I don't consider it sinfull for the developing countries to want to have the same things as we do in the west.
It should hardly come as a surprise that countries with the highest population will produce the highest CO2 emissions. What you need to zero in on is the countries with high CO2 emissions but lower populations. The US has approx 15 tonnes of CO2 per capita. India has under 2 tonnes of CO2 per capita.

Edit: For reference - the EU is about 6.6 tonnes.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It should hardly come as a surprise that countries with the highest population will produce the highest CO2 emissions. What you need to zero in on is the countries with high CO2 emissions but lower populations. The US has approx 15 tonnes of CO2 per capita. India has under 2 tonnes of CO2 per capita.

Edit: For reference - the EU is about 6.6 tonnes.
I'm well aware of this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
She didn't start anything. She just attached her face to a movement that was already ongoing, but at a point when it was reaching fever pitch.

It's the science that's driving the timelines, not her.

Greta's the swedish Bob Geldof and she's moved jack-shit. COP26 has been running for 26 years and sea levels have been rising for decades as well. Tuvalu would still be getting in the news with or without her.

It's the imminence of the climate catastrophe that's startled governments into action. Her involvement is correlation not causation.
And she has done far more than the useless cnuts we vote for. Go figure.

Pintu

What's Sapmi?
Sapmi is a region in the north of 4 countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia), mostly inhabited by Sámi people. About 20.000 in Sweden. Some of their activists have been very vocal in opposition to this project.

How come? Is she in a small minority that opposes the mine?
It is a minority but I wouldn't call it a small minority. 2 of our 8 Parliament parties are against it. Greens and the Left(former communists), but together they only represent about 12 % of the current legislature. Both parties (especially Greens) are important partners to the ruling Social democrats (S). On issues like this, S has a long history of prioritizing industry and jobs (essential to their Union allies) over other ideals, like in this instance protecting both nature and the culture of a protected minority population.

The state in Sweden has a shameful history of racist practices against the Sami people, and the related issues are always sensitive and controversial. But it is no longer the same climate, the State has done a lot over the last 70 years to make amends. So most people will have a very negative feeling about her calling this project "colonial approach".

NotThatSoph

The state in Sweden has a shameful history of racist practices against the Sami people, and the related issues are always sensitive and controversial. But it is no longer the same climate, the State has done a lot over the last 70 years to make amends. So most people will have a very negative feeling about her calling this project "colonial approach".
As always, we Norwegians don't want to do worse than than the Swedes, we've really fecked over the Sami people as well. The history is extremely shameful. I'm not sure I'm on board with the making amends thing, I'm more comfortable saying that we've more or less stopped being obvious oppressors. That's not making amends, in my opinion.

Eriku

He really must be an insecure little shit to bother picking this kind of fight. Greta’s the bigger alpha.

Fully Fledged

Surprised now that there isn't a queue of middle aged gammon trying to leak her private pictures.
There will be many people out there using any type of means to discredit her. She and everyone else needs to realise she's an adult now and so is subject to a higher scrutiny. Fair play to her that she has stayed the distance and is still an advocate for reform.