Griezmann - Barcelona player

JohnnyLaw

Haaland will likely be on the move again when Barca are in need of a new striker
Martinez is quite heavily linked with a move there I believe, would seem a much better fit at Barca compared to Haaland. Their transfer policy in latter years has been all over the place though so I wouldn’t put it past them to continue aquiring square pegs for round holes.

izec

Even if they buy the right type of player, they use him in the wrong position (De Jong).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes but to stay and then promptly move the following season doesn’t exactly appease the fans.

He was flirting with us and other clubs for a good few years and moved as soon as a move physically materialised.

I do think we’ve dodged a bullet somewhat, he’s dropped a level and no doubt would do so even more in the PL.
His job isn't to appease the fans and he didn't flirt with us or any other club, french journalists have tried their best to link him to United and the links came from his former agent who allegedly thought that United was a good marketing move, someone that he let go in 2018. That's why I have been adamant about it since 2017 and have been proven right, Griezmann has been pretty clear, he doesn't/didn't want to leave Spain.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
La Decision.
Barca's style does not suit anyone at the moment. Their squad building over the last 4 years has been horrific and supplemented with horrific managerial decisions.

lenny_1248

He's still a world-class player. Just is not used in the right way.
Such a shame that he chose to carry the load for Messi .

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The only ones that worked are when the manager decided to do his job and reorganize properly the team. For example, Paulinho or Umtiti. The rest have been victims of incredible laziness from the staff and probably internal politics.
Not many then. I always thought Griezmann seemed an odd one....didn’t seem like he fitted around the other players. Remains to be seen if their finances allow them to replace the big names properly when they get too old to deliver

RUCK4444

His job isn't to appease the fans and he didn't flirt with us or any other club, french journalists have tried their best to link him to United and the links came from his former agent who allegedly thought that United was a good marketing move, someone that he let go in 2018. That's why I have been adamant about it since 2017 and have been proven right, Griezmann has been pretty clear, he doesn't/didn't want to leave Spain.
What was that whole phone advert a year or so before linking him to us, where the caf went mad?

The dude and his brother have flirted to feck with other clubs, don’t know why you feel the need to defend him.

I can’t think of a player who portrayed himself as more self obsessed on social media more so than this fella.

Keeping his club and fanbase waiting on egg shells and then releasing a mini movie to announce he’s staying - absolute epitome of somebody with a huge ego.

Imagine any player at United doing that, feck me imagine Pogba done that!! This place would erupt.

JPRouve

Scout
What was that whole phone advert a year or so before linking him to us, where the caf went mad?

The dude and his brother have flirted to feck with other clubs, don’t know why you feel the need to defend him.

I can’t think of a player who portrayed himself as more self obsessed on social media more so than this fella.

Keeping his club and fanbase waiting on egg shells and then releasing a mini movie to announce he’s staying - absolute epitome of somebody with a huge ego.

Imagine any player at United doing that, feck me imagine Pogba done that!! This place would erupt.
I don't feel the need to defend him, I'm simply making the point that you are talking nonsense and mixing your feelings with reality. Griezmann has not flirted with other clubs, he has been linked by the french press with several clubs but they talk nonsense 90% of the time when it comes to french players. His brother is a United fan and some have interpreted that as a sign that Griezmann would join us, they even invented the idea that he was a fan himself. As I already told you when asked in serious interviews(meaning not Yann Barthès), he has always said that ideally he wanted to stay in Spain and again when asked directly said that obviously Real Madrid wasn't an option, they tried to link him to PSG, Bayern and the PL(Arsenal and United). Italy is the only place that he talked about with interest outside of remaining in Spain, the later meaning that only Atletico and Barcelona were actual options, he eventually went to Barcelona which surprised no one who actually followed him.

cyberman

I don't feel the need to defend him, I'm simply making the point that you are talking nonsense and mixing your feelings with reality. Griezmann has not flirted with other clubs, he has been linked by the french press with several clubs but they talk nonsense 90% of the time when it comes to french players. His brother is a United fan and some have interpreted that as a sign that Griezmann would join us, they even invented the idea that he was a fan himself. As I already told you when asked in serious interviews(meaning not Yann Barthès), he has always said that ideally he wanted to stay in Spain and again when asked directly said that obviously Real Madrid wasn't an option, they tried to link him to PSG, Bayern and the PL(Arsenal and United). Italy is the only place that he talked about with interest outside of remaining in Spain, the later meaning that only Atletico and Barcelona were actual options, he eventually went to Barcelona which surprised no one who actually followed him.
He claimed the odds of him joining United were 6/10

Edit mid season i might add

JPRouve

Scout
He claimed the odds of him joining United were 6/10
It wasn't a serious interview, it's a "funny" part in Yann Barthès talk show. Barthès asked him to answer tough questions by giving a grade from 1 to 10, he answered 7 for Atletico and 6 for United.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
La Liga posted this video on youtube yesterday

He's the perfect second striker. So dynamic and fast, great movement, fantastic between the lines, good in the air, presses like few can, lots of goals, great at either linking up play or at playing more direct football... he has everything you'd want in a modern attacker. I feel like losing both the 2016 CL final and the 2016 Euros final with huge misses in both finals hurt his reputation. His play in the 2016 Champions League to go past MSN Barca and Pep's Bayern was legendary and he went on to be the best player at the Euros later that year too.

IrishGlen

Great player. 15/16 Griezmann was outstanding - 3rd in the Balon D’or and score that header against Portugal and the penalty against Real and he may very well have won it.

That said the time to buy him was when he was leaving Sociedad or to a lesser extent summer ‘17. There’s a part of me that thinks Barcelona are misusing him, could be available for a cut price fee and he’s still a very talented player but coming here at 29, on a huge wage with his best years behind him and no real motivation to be part of what we’re building has the potential to be another Sánchez, Falcao, di Maria, etc.

I could potentially see him at PSG for a couple of years before he heads off to join Becks stateside.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I always wonder why Barca go for him, their style just doesn't match, they should have save the cash to buy back Neymar instead.
That Neymar move to PSG screwed everyone involved, Neymar Barca and PSG.

Getting Neymar back is the only logical thing Barcelona should have done but they have wasted almost 500M in transfers trying to replace him
Malcolm, Griezman, Coutinho, Dembele

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You need to get players like Griezmann when they're about to make their first big move (Sociedad to Atletico). Once they've already had their peak years it's too late. The current version of Griezmann is not the one we saw at Atletico.
this 100%
Sanchez when he was leaving barca.
Break the record for RVP in his prime and enjoy him for his beast years.
Basti, Falcao and so on.

Its been shown time and time again that older players don’t come in and learn new tricks, they are more injury prone and also they find it hard to adapt to the pace of the PL. Basti and falcao were clearly past their peak and struggling with injuries, Sanchez was on the major decline and its been shown since that it wasn’t because he was going stagnant at Arsenal, he was just finished as a top player, Rooneys 5 year mega deal, DiMaria who didn’t want to be here at all. Griezmann would have come here for 100 million wasn’t it and been stuck out on the right wing and done nothing on the biggest wages and fee in the clubs history. Mata/Kagawa/Miki also wasted out there. Great planning indeed .... Also the Bale and ronaldo talk that used to pop up every summer. Ramos, Boateng...all finished or approaching it...
let the scouts earn their money and find the next generation.

I’d always rather give the game time to someone younger with the future in mind. We don’t have to sell these lads if they become the best like the European feeder teams but we totally already are a feeder team. We just feed the clubs below us and Madrid come knocking every few years for our big players. Some younger supposedly peak players didn’t pan out here either but at least you can still get a decent fee plus sell on for them and they don’t command the same wages as a greizmann or Sanchez and most importantly you aren’t stuck with them for years stinking up the place with the press circus following if it doesn’t work out. From what I can see theres barely any upside to signing older players on long deals. Get them in their early 20s or teens and develop them here.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

I don’t think many were surprised when he stayed in Spain, unless you know him I don’t think you know anything about his transfer preferences.

What we all do know is what he’s willing to put on his social media and that he is a self absorbed arsewipe for making that pathetic mini film and dragging the whole saga out for as long as he did.

Messi or Ronaldo wouldn’t even think that highly of themselves.

Djemba-Djemba

There was talk of Suarez moving to MLS in the rumours this morning although I would be very shocked, he still has more to offer to european football in next 2 years.

Add in Dembele frequently injured and Messi coming up to mid 30s (although of course he can still play in God mode for many games) and I'm interested to see how Barcelona reshape their final third options over next 2-3 seasons.

It's a bold prediction now but wouldn't shock me if they dropped a fair few places when Messi can't do it anymore, back to their level around 2001-02 when they were finishing 6th and only qualifying for CLs on final days when Rivaldo was hitting ridiculous hat tricks v Valencia.

Signing of Ronaldinho changed the mentality and that continued with Messi coming through a few years later. Going to be quite a void when he leaves or has to play pretty deep.
No I agree with you, I think Barcelona are in for tough times post Messi the way we have been post Fergie. Having to carry on after you lose a once in a generation talent is incredibly difficult, and Barcelona look just as disorganised and sloppy at the top as we have since 2013.

Having the greatest player of all time covers up a lot of mistakes and weaknesses and in the last 4 or 5 years especially he's been absolutely carrying Barcelona.

In the same way I took Fergie for granted, just thinking winning games week in and week out was just the natural order of things at Utd, I think Barcelona fans will suffer a similar shock when Messi is gone or when he's finally too old to do it on a regular basis. Having a player as good as Messi scoring 60 goals a season every year and regularly waltzing past 5 or 6 players to score isn't normal.

izec

He was a great player, top 3 at one time without a doubt. For a couple of years at Atletico he was outstanding, one of the reasons they were so good under Simeone. He isn't the same player anymore. Going (slowly) downhill for him since 2018.

He will stay at Barca, no one can afford him or his wages right now.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think Griezmann was ever the 3rd best player in the world(even with him finishing 3rd for the Ballon D'Or twice).

He was never going to work at Barcelona. His best position is the position that Messi basically occupies. I've no clue what their board was thinking.

Handré1990

A hardworking player but would not have suited the us due to lack of pace. But than again we seem to be happy with mediocrity these days (see rashford et al).

Doesnt have guile either so he doesn't suit Barcelona.
This post deserves more derision than it got.

As for Griezmann, not a player for us now, or even when we were linked I think. I just don’t see a position for him. Great player though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don’t understand the arguments against him being egotistical.

He made a ridiculous film that is widely available. He dragged out a decision and very publicly dangled the whole thing on front of fans who supported him. Those same fans booed him in the end and defaced his stadium plaque.

Plenty of players have left big teams for bigger teams with little problem, but his lack of tact and grace and his ridiculous ego meant he spoilt his relationship with a club and supporters where he had enjoyed his best years.

He is flopping now at Barcelona and when his career is all said and done, he will be like Michael Owen. Another player who showed a lack of grace, was ego driven and is remembered fondly by none of the clubs he played for.

Fans are the ones who most contribute to a players legacy and how they are remembered and Greizmann will be forgotten about by future generations. He could have been a hero, but his ego has made him the villain.

He doesn’t fit at Barcelona and is totally against the direction United are going, even if he did come cheap. Both in terms of age and his priorities.

AFC NimbleThumb

Stoppage time sub in Barca’s make or break game against his former club.

Still think he could have been a player for us had he just moved when he should/could [though Mourinho would have probably played him at LB].

Once he passed up on us he really should have stayed at Atlético for his career.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well that didn’t go as planned.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is anyone surprised he's flopped?

I bet deep down even Barca aren't surprised, they just buy players for the sake of it see Dembélé and Coutinho rather than address areas they need to

TsuWave

edit - tweet has been posted.

should be moving to PSG or something, seems like no future at Barca

Tel074

How much money have Barca blown the past few years on him Coutinho and Dembele

Woodenlung

So glad we didn't sign him.
Why? He would have been an utterly transformative player for us. There are so few forwards in the game who strike the perfect mix of technical ability and work rate. At Barcelona, the positions he plays best in are occupied already by Messi. They're not getting anywhere near the best out of him.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why? He would have been an utterly transformative player for us. There are so few forwards in the game who strike the perfect mix of technical ability and work rate. At Barcelona, the positions he plays best in are occupied already by Messi. They're not getting anywhere near the best out of him.
He would be the best player on United, either him or Bruno. He’s played horribly out of position at Barca.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I believe they just aren't adapting to him, which is a same, I think he can play a Firmino/Benz/Jesus type role through the center if given the chance.

KennyBurner

Nonsense. He isnt even better than Mason greenwood.

Nothing transformative about a player that needs the whole team built around him.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Nonsense. He isnt even better than Mason greenwood.

Nothing transformative about a player that needs the whole team built around him.
The guy who can be one of the biggest pieces of France winning a WC and going to a euro final is worse than mason greenwood?
Wow

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
What an epic fail his transfer to Barca was. Thank god we didn't go for him :nervous: