Griezmann - Barcelona player

TsuWave

Why? He would have been an utterly transformative player for us. There are so few forwards in the game who strike the perfect mix of technical ability and work rate.
I never looked at Griezmann and thought "technical ability"

neverdie

They should try use him in a swap deal for Neymar. Similar to what they've done with Arthur and Pjanic.

He's French, PSG can afford his wages, and Neymar wants a Barca return.

tjb

Barcelona really don't care. This was an obvious flop from the get go and one of the reason's i didn't want him here. His role is so specific and so rare that it is difficult to incorporate. His biggest skills are that he has a good first touch in central positions and has the off the ball movement and agility to find spaces to exploit a defence. He cannot be a modern striker because he cannot play with his back to goal and lacks the direct acceleration to break a defensive line consistently. In addition he lacks the strength and balance to hold of defenders. He is also not creative when played in a regular no.10 role, so having him in the team means creativity would have to come from deep midfield or the flanks. As a winger, his lack of pace, dribbling ability and creativity make him a none factor on both flanks. Very unique player who hasn't learnt to use his off the ball movement to create for others and doesn't have a good final ball. That is the difference between him and Muller.

tjb

They should try use him in a swap deal for Neymar. Similar to what they've done with Arthur and Pjanic.

He's French, PSG can afford his wages, and Neymar wants a Barca return.
PSG would be stupid to make that deal. Dembele is a better coup for them despite his injury.

tjb

Dembele is garbage.
That's not true. Barca just pushed him on the left to accommodate Messi and due to that and his injuries, hasn't found the form to perform in those two seasons. Unlike Griezman he has been really effective at points in this spell. He just needs faith and time to recover from injuries. Robben also had those injury issues.

TheRedHearted

He’s being played out of position
Agreed. In a 4-4-2 with Fernandes at the top of a diamond he could play alongside Martial. Either that or replace him in our 4-3-3.
id prefer not to replace Martial but a 4-4-2 we would need stronger wing play from whichever midfielders would play there. This is of course assuming Pogba is gone. 3-5-2 could play both Pogba and fernandes and martial and Griezman

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Agreed. In a 4-4-2 with Fernandes at the top of a diamond he could play alongside Martial. Either that or replace him in our 4-3-3.
id prefer not to replace Martial but a 4-4-2 we would need stronger wing play from whichever midfielders would play there. This is of course assuming Pogba is gone. 3-5-2 could play both Pogba and fernandes and martial and Griezman

Spot on. Bruno seems to love Pogba I’m
Sure he’ll stay but Griezmann is a much much better player than Martial so if it’s on the table united should go for it

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sure he’ll stay but Griezmann is a much much better player than Martial so if it’s on the table united should go for it
Since you're Barcelona fans. Just to let you know that we don't go for ageing players like what you normally do. Especially when we already have the option in there, the investment on Griezmann isn't worth the money at this point, we learnt of what happened to Sanchez last time. Unless if Griezmann is willing to take massive pay cut from his wages and we get him for free or peanut. If not, then United shouldn't even think about going for him.

Rather than selling him, I think Griezmann is still a good player that can play for Barcelona. I never understand why people think he doesn't fit for Barcelona when clearly he has the assets that can meet Barcelona's tradition playing style. The manager hasn't been using him properly. If anything, I would keep him and concentrate on how to get rid Coutinho & Dembele who don't meet Barcelona's tradition playing style in my opinion.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Is he? This seasons form would suggest that he isnt... He's also not a spring chicken and it wouldnt be a stretch to suggest that he's currently in the decline of his career. He may be more inconistent, but I'd take Martial over Griezmann and give him the chance to develop.

Thankfully United are getting away from the galactico era policy approach as taken by Barca and Real because quite frankly, the demands on league football are much greater (taking into consideration the relative comeptitiveness of lower order clubs compared to Spain) and damage caused by signing dud players is much greater.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Is he? This seasons form would suggest that he isnt... He's also not a spring chicken and it wouldnt be a stretch to suggest that he's currently in the decline of his career. He may be more inconistent, but I'd take Martial over Griezmann and give him the chance to develop.

Thankfully United are getting away from the galactico era policy approach as taken by Barca and Real because quite frankly, the demands on league football are much greater (taking into consideration the relative comeptitiveness of lower order clubs compared to Spain) and damage caused by signing dud players is much greater.

Martial over Griezmann? Now that is a bold decision :D

treble_winner

You are forgetting one important aspect: Age.

Ole is building a new, young team with potential to grow even more in the future. Griezmann is 29 years old and soon his legs will be slowed down when he reaches 30. He will not be able to work hard and press like what Ole wants our team to play. Griezmann may suit Mourinho or Simeone's game plan. That's why we chased him when Mourinho was in charge. But he would be a misfit in Ole's vision of aggressive pressing.

Look at our own David De Gea. He is 29 years old now and looks nowhere nere his old world-class self years ago. That's what age does to most top players. We shouldn't approach players who are near 30. It's never worth it, unless the intended player is meant to be a temporary stop-gap (Ighalo). The last player near 30 we signed permanently was Sanchez. How he turned out was history.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Ole is building a new, young team with potential to grow even more in the future. Griezmann is 29 years old and soon his legs will be slowed down when he reaches 30. He will not be able to work hard and press like what Ole wants our team to play. Griezmann may suit Mourinho or Simeone's game plan. That's why we chased him when Mourinho was in charge. But he would be a misfit in Ole's vision of aggressive pressing.

Look at our own David De Gea. He is 29 years old now and looks nowhere nere his old world-class self years ago. That's what age does to most top players. We shouldn't approach players who are near 30. It's never worth it, unless the intended player is meant to be a temporary stop-gap (Ighalo). The last player near 30 we signed permanently was Sanchez. How he turned out was history.
True but Griezmann is very fit and should still give you 3-4 very good years. He’s comfortably the better player over Martial when on the right team (which isn’t Barca). With Griezmann United would absolutely make CL next season at the very least which in turn would help attract other players to reach the next level. Having a few players in and around 30 isn’t the worst. It’s when you have too many of them as a core part of your lineup that it can become a problem.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Yes, Griezmann is 100% the better player. Replace Martial with Griezmann and United absolutely have a CL spot for sure. He’s in a very bad fit with Barca. But we are talking about a guy who was hugely responsible for helping France reach a euro final, win a World Cup and help Atletico get to multiple CL finals.

And then you have Martial. As good as United were today, Martial inexplicably didn’t even attempt a single shot or assist despite playing in a team that perfectly suits him.

Having said that, Martial has played better since Bruno arrived.

E-mal

I have always maintained I didn't want him because as good as he is, there are some limitations in his game and he gives the team a dilemma in terms of where best to play him, and he Will affect the dynamics.
Football is quite unpredictable and funny in that not long ago he was just taking the piss with us and now we won't even want him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was a strange signing by Barcelona when they already had Messi. Griezmann will probably regret not taking up the chance to come to us instead and be the main man.

GledTheRed

Why? He would have been an utterly transformative player for us. There are so few forwards in the game who strike the perfect mix of technical ability and work rate. At Barcelona, the positions he plays best in are occupied already by Messi. They're not getting anywhere near the best out of him.
He's nearly 30 and cost a 100 million.

flappyjay

The guy who can be one of the biggest pieces of France winning a WC and going to a euro final is worse than mason greenwood?
Wow
He worded it wrong but the point is you still need a formation that caters to him. You need a big 9 and and some form of 4-4-2 to get the best out of him.

flappyjay

The comment you are replying to is the exact reason why we shouldn't go for him. The team and formation has to be changed to fit him. We are already playing a formation the manager prefers and the rest of the team fits into.

flappyjay

Or unless it's an RVP being added into an already established team to help win a title. In a building face of the transition its a bad investment

cyberman

Yes, Griezmann is 100% the better player. Replace Martial with Griezmann and United absolutely have a CL spot for sure. He’s in a very bad fit with Barca. But we are talking about a guy who was hugely responsible for helping France reach a euro final, win a World Cup and help Atletico get to multiple CL finals.

And then you have Martial. As good as United were today, Martial inexplicably didn’t even attempt a single shot or assist despite playing in a team that perfectly suits him.

Having said that, Martial has played better since Bruno arrived.
Griezmann cannot play as a number 9. Why would we swap the two? If anything, Barca need a Martial a lot more than Griezmann.
Barca have sunk so low that there arent many players I would take at United. I honestly think a Messi led Utd is a lot better than this Barca team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Griezmann cannot play as a number 9. Why would we swap the two? If anything, Barca need a Martial a lot more than Griezmann.
Barca have sunk so low that there arent many players I would take at United. I honestly think a Messi led Utd is a lot better than this Barca team.
You would take Ter Stegen ;)

gorky_utd

I wouldn't swap martial with Griezmann. He seems to be enjoying his time at his dream club with four minutes of football in a must win game against his former side :D . Martial, even with his flaw, is a much more exciting prospect. As for world cup, don't think Griezmann was the reason they won it, they had some 2nd division players like Mbappe, Pogba, Varane also. Btw, what is the wage he is earning at barca?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
You guys are crazy, Griezmann is many times better than Martial.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Playing for Atletico and Barca are just two different things it wouldn't be the first time that a player has looked elite for a top club but failed when going to the highest level out there.

Griezmann has never faced a challenge like this.

Barca isn't Atletico or France, the standards are miles higher and it seems he simply can't meet them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Playing for Atletico and Barca are just two different things it wouldn't be the first time that a player has looked elite for a top club but failed when going to the highest level out there.

Griezmann has never faced a challenge like this.

Barca isn't Atletico or France, the standards are miles higher and it seems he simply can't meet them.
It has nothing to do with standards, Barcelona are wank. It's just that they have no tactical plan outside of putting eleven players on the field and passing it to Messi. The amount of times Griezmann makes a great run and is ignored is just amazing.

flappyjay

I wouldn't swap martial with Griezmann. He seems to be enjoying his time at his dream club with four minutes of football in a must win game against his former side :D . Martial, even with his flaw, is a much more exciting prospect. As for world cup, don't think Griezmann was the reason they won it, they had some 2nd division players like Mbappe, Pogba, Varane also. Btw, what is the wage he is earning at barca?
From what I read is supposed to be €888000

BalanceUnAutreJoint

It has nothing to do with standards, Barcelona are wank. It's just that they have no tactical plan outside of putting eleven players on the field and passing it to Messi. The amount of times Griezmann makes a great run and is ignored is just amazing.
Every time I've watched them play I thought Ansu Fati provided more than Griezmann when on the pitch.
They may have no game plan but some players can adapt to it better than others.

Griezmann also has had issues that go beyond this. Such as not taking his chances in the Clasico game and looking for Messi when he was in position to shoot.

He's out of his comfort zone, he has never played for a possession team before, his bread and butter is transition/counterattacking football both for Atletico and France.

JPRouve

Scout
Every time I've watched them play I thought Ansu Fati provided more than Griezmann when on the pitch.
They may have no game plan but some players can adapt to it better than others.

Griezmann also has had issues that go beyond this. Such as not taking his chances in the Clasico game and looking for Messi when he was in position to shoot.

He's out of his comfort zone, he has never played for a possession team before, his bread and butter is transition/counterattacking football both for Atletico and France.
He doesn't, I watch all their games and he is inconsistent, some games he is good and others he is useless. He is also ignored by midfielders a fair amount of time. And Griezmann is perfectly fine in the possession style, he is actually perfectly fine with Barcelona like all their players, they simply don't play as a team. It doesn't go further than that, none of their players is actually bad or not fitting individually. People are focusing on Griezmann because he was expensive and his move made a lot of noise but he is no different to all the other players.

Barcelona's issues and every other player issue including Griezmann is the total absence of fluidity and willingness to play as a unit. They don't really play at the same rhythm, there is always a player trying to slow the game or play the ball to someone that didn't ask for it, they don't look at each others or pay attention to runs. Griezmann, Suarez and Fati have suffered a lot from it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He doesn't, I watch all their games and he is inconsistent, some games he is good and others he is useless. He is also ignored by midfielders a fair amount of time. And Griezmann is perfectly fine in the possession style, he is actually perfectly fine with Barcelona like all their players, they simply don't play as a team. It doesn't go further than that, none of their players is actually bad or not fitting individually. People are focusing on Griezmann because he was expensive and his move made a lot of noise but he is no different to all the other players.

Barcelona's issues and every other player issue including Griezmann is the total absence of fluidity and willingness to play as a unit. They don't really play at the same rhythm, there is always a player trying to slow the game or play the ball to someone that didn't ask for it, they don't look at each others or pay attention to runs. Griezmann, Suarez and Fati have suffered a lot from it.
Thing with Griezmann is, you need to take either Messi or Suarez out to fit him in. As a left winger, he's not world class since he can't cut inside with his strong food outside, is not particularly good in 1 on 1s and lacks pace. You could also play a 4-2-3-1 but that doesn't really fit Barcelona's possession style. And they still only have 17 year old Ansu Fati and injury prone and underperforming Dembele for the left wing.

I think few somrwhat objective fans question his quality, but Griezmann is simply a redundant player in this team. Very weird that they not only signed him but went the extra mile to do it, raising a credit specifically for him etc. And even weirder that he wanted to go there so much.

JPRouve

Scout
Thing with Griezmann is, you need to take either Messi or Suarez out to fit him in. As a left winger, he's not world class since he can't cut inside with his strong food outside, is not particularly good in 1 on 1s and lacks pace. You could also play a 4-2-3-1 but that doesn't really fit Barcelona's possession style. And they still only have 17 year old Ansu Fati and injury prone and underperforming Dembele for the left wing.

I think few somrwhat objective fans question his quality, but Griezmann is simply a redundant player in this team. Very weird that they not only signed him but went the extra mile to do it, raising a credit specifically for him etc. And even weirder that he wanted to go there so much.
I can agree with that though you could say it about Suarez too, he hasn't been better and is also redundant that's why the focus on Griezmann isn't that interesting to me when we talk about Barcelona. The issue is that they are not good whether they have Fati, Griezmann or Suarez on the field. Their midfield is useless, it doesn't defend, create or press well, their central defense is shaky, Alba is a shadow of his former self when he is fit, Semedo and Sergi Roberto are inconsistent. Barcelona relies almost entirely on Ter Stegen and Messi, with Vidal playing at a high level from time to time.

Griezmann issue isn't that he doesn't fit Barcelona, it's that Barcelona doesn't have an identity, they don't play collectively and no player is part of a unit because there isn't one. If people's argument is that Griezmann isn't a soloist then yes he isn't and in this disfunctional team only a soloist could do more on a regular basis.

TheRedDevil2019

Clearly being wasted out wide when his role is a SS, kinda harsh to see media label him a flop when he's not being given a chance in his preferred role (14 goals in all comps isn't a bad return tbf). Greizmann should leave and recover his reputation elsewhere. I feel he'd be a great fit for Bayern Munich or even Man City if Aguero was to leave.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I can agree with that though you could say it about Suarez too, he hasn't been better and is also redundant that's why the focus on Griezmann isn't that interesting to me when we talk about Barcelona. The issue is that they are not good whether they have Fati, Griezmann or Suarez on the field. Their midfield is useless, it doesn't defend, create or press well, their central defense is shaky, Alba is a shadow of his former self when he is fit, Semedo and Sergi Roberto are inconsistent. Barcelona relies almost entirely on Ter Stegen and Messi, with Vidal playing at a high level from time to time.

Griezmann issue isn't that he doesn't fit Barcelona, it's that Barcelona doesn't have an identity, they don't play collectively and no player is part of a unit because there isn't one. If people's argument is that Griezmann isn't a soloist then yes he isn't and in this disfunctional team only a soloist could do more on a regular basis.
I don't fully agree. With Fati and Puig in, the team looked completely different at times. Thing is, Fati is young and inconsistent so you can't count on him already. When Puig is playing, he's able to create superiority in the midfield through dribblings and one twos - something which is severely lacking when their midfield consists only of seasoned players like Busquets, Vidal and Rakitic. This allows Messi to save himself for the final third more often than not. You could see that perfectly against Bilbao. Puig was subbed in and Messi suddenly received the ball a lot closer to the opponent's goal and was immediately dangerous 3-4 times after having the worst game I've seen in years from him up until that point. With Fati it's a similar case. He's good in 1 on 1s, he's fast, he can cut inside from the left. If he's having a good game, the team plays completely differently. But he's 17 so you have to expect a few bad games from him and a top club needs to have a plan B (or even A) for that. And Barca don't have such an alternative. Dembele is always injured and that's it. If I'm not mistaken, they already played Griezmann, Vidal, de Jong and Braithwaite as a LW because they have no other options.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't fully agree. With Fati and Puig in, the team looked completely different at times. Thing is, Fati is young and inconsistent so you can't count on him already. When Puig is playing, he's able to create superiority in the midfield through dribblings and one twos - something which is severely lacking when their midfield consists only of seasoned players like Busquets, Vidal and Rakitic. This allows Messi to save himself for the final third more often than not. You could see that perfectly against Bilbao. Puig was subbed in and Messi suddenly received the ball a lot closer to the opponent's goal and was immediately dangerous 3-4 times after having the worst game I've seen in years from him up until that point. With Fati it's a similar case. He's good in 1 on 1s, he's fast, he can cut inside from the left. If he's having a good game, the team plays completely differently. But he's 17 so you have to expect a few bad games from him and a top club needs to have a plan B (or even A) for that. And Barca don't have such an alternative. Dembele is always injured and that's it. If I'm not mistaken, they already played Griezmann, Vidal, de Jong and Braithwaite as a LW because they have no other options.
The team looks completely different at times with literally anyone on the field. Take the game against Getafe in February, for a while they were hopeless with Fati, Griezmann and Messi but somehow they started playing as a unit with great movement and actually passing the ball in rhythm and then they stopped. And Getafe have been excellent this season, it's not a poor team that they destroyed for 15 minutes.

Barcelona aren't different with different players on the field, none of what you wrote is true. They do the best and the worst with all the combinations of players that they have, they have been great with Griezmann and terrible with him, same with Fati. And Puig has nothing to do with Griezmann but I agree with the idea that on paper he is a better fit, he is more adventurous, more creative than some of the other midfielders.

RooneyLegend

Setien: "It's difficult to put Griezmann on without destabilizing the team."

Sheesh, he needs a new club. Take it Inter will be interested. Beppe loves this sort of stuff.

flappyjay

Setien: "It's difficult to put Griezmann on without destabilizing the team."

Sheesh, he needs a new club. Take it Inter will be interested. Beppe loves this sort of stuff.
Inter also play a two striker system so he would fit like a glove there. The problem of moving him on even with a swap for lautaro would be Antoine's crazy wages.