Griezmann - Barcelona player

RooneyLegend

Inter also play a two striker system so he would fit like a glove there. The problem of moving him on even with a swap for lautaro would be Antoine's crazy wages.
Pretty much his choice whether he wants to play or is happy with the money. However I'd say the wages Barca players are reportedly on sounds crazy. He can't be on 800k a week.

Mr Smith

Is he? This seasons form would suggest that he isnt... He's also not a spring chicken and it wouldnt be a stretch to suggest that he's currently in the decline of his career. He may be more inconistent, but I'd take Martial over Griezmann and give him the chance to develop.

Thankfully United are getting away from the galactico era policy approach as taken by Barca and Real because quite frankly, the demands on league football are much greater (taking into consideration the relative comeptitiveness of lower order clubs compared to Spain) and damage caused by signing dud players is much greater.
Don't be silly. Griezmann is much better, and that's not a detraction of Martial's ability. Griezmann is out of form, low on confidence, and being played out of position in a way that negates his best qualities. He never should have gone to Barcelona in the first place. Put him in a team where he has an actual place and he'll show his quality again.

Which is not me saying we should buy him, to be clear.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty much his choice whether he wants to play or is happy with the money. However I'd say the wages Barca players are reportedly on sounds crazy. He can't be on 800k a week.
If they could somehow afford it, Milan and Rangnick would be a good fit, the attack could easily be organized around him. But I'm still disappointed by the fact that he didn't stay at Atletico, I still think that being an Atletico legend is better than being Messi's sidekick.

romufc

He was an absolute baller 4/5 years ago, his career has somewhat stagnated since the WC. Athletico were very lucky to get 100m for a 29 year old who you could see from the last few seasons didnt have much impact in games.

He might be better than Martial now, but no way would I replace Martial with him.

Even if Barca offered him for £40m to us I wouldnt take him. The ship has sailed, he didn't want to get on, too bad.

flappyjay

I thought the same but remembered that he was highly paid at Atletico and a move to a bigger club = bigger wages. In this situation he has control of the situation. If he wants to get his career back on track he will accept a significant wage cut, it's also well in his right to get all his money like Bale.

sp_107

He was an absolute baller 4/5 years ago, his career has somewhat stagnated since the WC. Athletico were very lucky to get 100m for a 29 year old who you could see from the last few seasons didnt have much impact in games.

He might be better than Martial now, but no way would I replace Martial with him.

Even if Barca offered him for £40m to us I wouldnt take him. The ship has sailed, he didn't want to get on, too bad.

Totally agree with you,
We went that route(statement signings) since 2013 and burnt our hands. We are finally getting our act together on signing right players so hope we refrain from these kind of signings again.

Stacks

It's amazing but not surprising he is struggling as he does need a specific role. It also shows that being a top player isn't enough to succeed at Barca and should put to bed the rebuttal "It's easy when you play for Barca or it's easy when you play with Messi"

romufc

Totally agree with you,
We went that route(statement signings) since 2013 and burnt our hands. We are finally getting our act together on signing right players so hope we refrain from these kind of signings again.
We are not and never were the club to sign galactico's. Signing a player from Madrid or Barca hardly works out for us, most of the players see us as a retirement home. Once they hit 28 and Madrid or Barca get rid of them, you know they have nothing to prove.

I would prefer to sign players that are willing to work for the team. This is exactly why I was against the signing of Dybala. He was going to use us to get to Barca and would be on a massive salary. Look at Bruno's worth ethic. I like how Manutd now look into a players personality, his fit in dressing room before signing them.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

A bit of drama going on in France right now as Dugarry said on a podcast that Griezmann shouldn't be afraid of that "autistic dwarf kid" and should slap him in the face.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A bit of drama going on in France right now as Dugarry said on a podcast that Griezmann shouldn't be afraid of that "autistic dwarf kid" and should slap him in the face.
Now I have to think of Griezmann doing a Fortnite dance after k.o.ing Messi.

TheRedHearted

Spot on. Bruno seems to love Pogba I’m
Sure he’ll stay but Griezmann is a much much better player than Martial so if it’s on the table united should go for it
Where has Barcelona been playing Griezman? I know last two or three (or four) game’s he hasn’t started but when he has where has it been?

And more into our 3-5-2
Martial Griezman

Rashford pogba Bruno wan Bissaka
Matic
Shaw Maguire Lindelof

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Where has Barcelona been playing Griezman? I know last two or three (or four) game’s he hasn’t started but when he has where has it been?

And more into our 3-5-2
Martial Griezman

Matic
Shaw Maguire Lindelof
Normally he plays on the left wing (we have no wingers right now, go figure) which is dumb as he’s a left footed player.

gorky_utd

I would love him on a loan but his wages makes it impossible. Still a very good player. If he continues to be on the bench, I wonder whether he will lose his spot in French national team. Must be something serious going on otherwise who can bench such an expensive player for 89 minutes when you need a goal?

flappyjay

And more into our 3-5-2
Martial Griezman

Matic
Shaw Maguire Lindelof
You have Rashford at wing back? This is why he fits at certain teams. We would have to change the team for him. We would have to invest in good attacking full backs if we play a back three or a midfield diamond. If we play a basic 4-4-2 we would have to drop Pogba or Bruno. You could play him in our formation as a pure 9 but you make a huge investment on a player you have to put in him conditions that are best to help him succeed.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think Atletico was the perfect team for him. La decision is wrong.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And who starts on the RW?
I wonder how he would slot in for us there. Pretty fluid front 3 if it’s him Rashford and martial.
Technically Messi, in practice nobody, the flank is left open for the RWB. Same happens on the other flank

It's not where Griezmann starts that's the problem, it's how little involvement he sees in situations where he's most dangerous. Because those tend to be the same situations Messi is most dangerous, and of course the team goes through Messi far more than him.

He's not managed to build chemistry with Messi and Suarez the way Neymar did, so instead of being an integral part of a 3-men attack, he gets shunted to the periphery, like a glorified Pedro

United Junkie

Dugarry is a moron, it's best to ignore him.
He's like the biggest troll among the football analysts. He even tried to compare himself with Zidane saying at the start he was the better player. This guy was a good player but besides the World Cup he didn't do anything worth mentioning. Even at Qatar he made no appearances. But still I think he's just trolling and people are taking the bait.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's like the biggest troll among the football analysts. He even tried to compare himself with Zidane saying at the start he was the better player. This guy was a good player but besides the World Cup he didn't do anything worth mentioning. Even at Qatar he made no appearances. But still I think he's just trolling and people are taking the bait.
He does, he was actually good when he was just a pundit for Luis Fernandez but changed when he became the host. He is trolling and trying to create some buzz.

ReallyUSA

Wasn't he supposed to come after the Europa win? Keep him, last thing we need is a tone deaf dork.

tjb

I don't know why people are making excuses for him. Never been thaaat good imo. He would have been a massive mistake for us.Like others have said, he needs specific systems and positions to be successful, yet doesn't have the talent to demand all of that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't know why people are making excuses for him. Never been thaaat good imo. He would have been a massive mistake for us.Like others have said, he needs specific systems and positions to be successful, yet doesn't have the talent to demand all of that.
That's just not true, he was THAT good. Top 5 player in the world for years.

I don't think he necessarily needs a specific system to succeed in either, he just went to the worst possible place he could have gone to.

TrustInOle

For whatever reason Sancho deal happens to fall through, he would be my very easily picked second. However unachievable that sounds.

DelPotro

For whatever reason Sancho deal happens to fall through, he would be my very easily picked second. However unachievable that sounds.
So you want another Sanchez situation? We need a proper RW. Going after a big name for the sake of it is why we've been awful in the last few years.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

I don't think he necessarily needs a specific system to succeed in either, he just went to the worst possible place he could have gone to.
Peyroteo with the goods

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Peyroteo with the goods
We agree on something! :D

Although Griezmann was outstanding, last season he was already below his best so maybe he had already started to decline a bit even before the move. But it's hard to tell since he's being completely misused at Barca

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Top 5 in the world is pushing it way too far. Even at his peak he was never better than Barca's MSN and Ronaldo and that's just attacking players (you can also argue he was never better than Lewandowski either I guess) and not accounting for Ramos or Modric

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We agree on something! :D

Although Griezmann was outstanding, last season he was already below his best so maybe he had already started to decline a bit even before the move. But it's hard to tell since he's being completely misused at Barca
Haha What sucks is it feels like every new signing is misused by Barca. De Jong should be in Busquets position, Roberto isn’t really a true RB, griezman is all wrong.

Absolutely shocking. As Sid Lowe says, when the financing department is more creative than the midfield...you’ve got problems

TrustInOle

So you want another Sanchez situation? We need a proper RW. Going after a big name for the sake of it is why we've been awful in the last few years.
Nothing like the Sanchez deal. He would fit an ideal role in our club, LF matching what Rashy does on the right. He already has great chemistry with Pogba, adds a creative influence and if he were to come it would b after Ole scouting and making sure he fits his criteria, which if he decides he doesn't fare enough.

I just don't think a player as quality as Griezman is, should be written of for moving to the wrong club at the wrong time, which was already in crisis mode and has fallen even further.

Greizman still has slot to offer, fits our quick transition of play, has the work rate and holds an eye for goal. If things are on the rocks at Barcelona then I think we could pull a shrewd bit of business off. Always loved him as a player, so maybe I'm fan blinded :lol:

United Junkie

For years? Name those years please.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
For years? Name those years please.
From 2015 to 2018 I'd say. He was also incredible at Real Sociedad before but obviously didn't get that kind of recognition yet.

There are a lot of people that really underestimate just how good he was at Atletico mainly because they're pretty boring to watch and a lot of people don't follow their games. Ronaldo and Messi aside, he was up there with anyone else in the world imo. To be able to do what he was doing in a defensive team like Atletico was miraculous at times.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nothing like the Sanchez deal. He would fit an ideal role in our club, LF matching what Rashy does on the right. He already has great chemistry with Pogba, adds a creative influence and if he were to come it would b after Ole scouting and making sure he fits his criteria, which if he decides he doesn't fare enough.

I just don't think a player as quality as Griezman is, should be written of for moving to the wrong club at the wrong time, which was already in crisis mode and has fallen even further.

Greizman still has slot to offer, fits our quick transition of play, has the work rate and holds an eye for goal. If things are on the rocks at Barcelona then I think we could pull a shrewd bit of business off. Always loved him as a player, so maybe I'm fan blinded :lol:
Why would Rashford play on the right? He's doing an excellent job on the left. We need a right winger and the perfect one is Sancho. Don't really see any place for Griezmann let alone taking the risk of signing a 28 odd year old on huge money.