Griezmann - Barcelona player

treble_winner

So you want another Sanchez situation? We need a proper RW. Going after a big name for the sake of it is why we've been awful in the last few years.
I share your thoughts. Griezmann is past it, and on the wrong side of 20s.
The only "big name" signing over 30 years old I wouldn't object us trying to get from Barcelona is Messi himself. He may be a bit old but his sheer magic and football intelligence will create an instant impact for us. He'd be the best "impact sub" in the world at Manchester United, in case he is too old to play every week with the intensity of English football.

The_Midfielder

Why would Rashford play on the right? He's doing an excellent job on the left. We need a right winger and the perfect one is Sancho. Don't really see any place for Griezmann let alone taking the risk of signing a 28 odd year old on huge money.
He can play CF too, and guarantees 20+ goals

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He can play CF too, and guarantees 20+ goals
Martial is better at CF and Rashford is working perfectly at LW. Neither 'guarantee' 20 plus goals having never done it. But if they do that this year would be good to see them replicate it consistently. Regardless left wing is not a priority.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Spot on. Bruno seems to love Pogba I’m
Sure he’ll stay but Griezmann is a much much better player than Martial so if it’s on the table united should go for it
No thanks. Didn't want him before, and I certainly don't now.

Philo

Why would Rashford play on the right? He's doing an excellent job on the left. We need a right winger and the perfect one is Sancho. Don't really see any place for Griezmann let alone taking the risk of signing a 28 odd year old on huge money.
I think he meant Griezmann could do on the right side what Rashford does on the left, i.e. come back on his left foot and be a goal threat.

Decomposing In Paris

I’d be interested to see what Barca would want in addition to Sanchez... maybe even a couple of loans? He’s a very, very good footballer, in the wrong team. I would prefer Sancho obviously, I’d possibly prefer Grealish given his age & circumstance. I can’t completely dismiss the idea that he works as hard as Lingard, but he’d probably get 30 g/a from the RW... if we could include Sanchez (look at what Juve have just done) Barca might be arrogant enough to think they could make it work.

amolbhatia50k

I think he meant Griezmann could do on the right side what Rashford does on the left, i.e. come back on his left foot and be a goal threat.
I think we shouldn't try more experiments trying to shoehorn stars for the sake of it. Griezmann is the wrong age, profile and role IMO. I've always been an admirer of the player but I wouldn't sign him at United. If we take Sancho as a reference point , he offers so much more mobility, link up play, dribbling ability, adaptability (given his age), that Griezmann would be too big a shift in focus. If Sancho doesn't work out and I really we have to go for an alternative I'd try to find someone else.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
If one should have learned anything from his transfer to Barcelona, its that you can't shift him to the wings. He is also no option as CF; otherwise Barca wouldn't have much of a problem. I think he would have been a very good signing in the past and his age is imo not a problem, but now he is just not needed anymore.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Griezmann might be one of the players I want least on this team, right up there with Coutinho and me when I'm drunk.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If one should have learned anything from his transfer to Barcelona, its that you can't shift him to the wings. He is also no option as CF; otherwise Barca wouldn't have much of a problem. I think he would have been a very good signing in the past and his age is imo not a problem, but now he is just not needed anymore.
Barcelona would still have their major problem, their midfield isn't creative and it isn't good defensively which exposes their central defense and doesn't support their attack. Griezmann on the left is a bad fit but when he shifts to the right during games as an inside forward he does a lot better.

It would actually make sense for Barcelona to play more rigid front three with Messi staying in the middle as a false nine, Fati on the left and Griezmann on the right with Semedo overlapping instead of Sergi Roberto.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Barcelona would still have their major problem, their midfield isn't creative and it isn't good defensively which exposes their central defense and doesn't support their attack. Griezmann on the left is a bad fit but when he shifts to the right during games as an inside forward he does a lot better.

It would actually make sense for Barcelona to play more rigid front three with Messi staying in the middle as a false nine, Fati on the left and Griezmann on the right with Semedo overlapping instead of Sergi Roberto.
If he could play as CF, they wouldn't have much trouble to use him in a way that helps the team. I also understand that they don't shift around the one outfield player, who is carrying the team for years, when the situation is already difficult for unknown benefits. Who knows how Messi would look like as center forward. He doesn't have the legs for it and Barca frequently need him deeper anyway.

Anyway, my post was directed at those who think United buying him and playing him as CF or RW would be a good idea. Fortunately its not going to happen, but it would be the single worst transfer decision since SAF left.

TrustInOle

He is actually 29 and I meant RF similar to what Rashford does as LF. My mistake, but I feel Griezman can still offer something special. Also, as I said in my original posts, I would only be committed to this once Ole see's him as a fit for our squad. If not, I won't be too concerned as Ole has shown he has what it takes when choosing his players.

Just, maybe it's too early to write him off, bad move at a bad time, but he was never one who relies on pace and exposivenes, so it's hard to see how he has deteriorated or whether the crisis at Barcelona has affected him like others.

JPRouve

Scout
If he could play as CF, they wouldn't have much problem how to use him. I also understand that they don't shift around the one outfield player, who is carrying the team for years, when the situation is already difficult for unknown benefits. Who knows how Messi would look like as center forward. He doesn't have the legs for it and Barca frequently need him deeper anyway.

Anyway, my post was directed at those who think United buying him and playing him as CF or RW would be a good idea. Fortunately its not going to happen, but it would be the single worst transfer decision since SAF left.
But Messi doesn't play on the right, you wouldn't be shifting him because while he is nominally a right winger/inside forward he never is there, most of the time he plays through the middle which creates a lot of imbalance with the middle and left side overcrowded and the right side completely deserted. Griezmann and whoever plays as striker currently has the problem of having to share space with Messi in the middle.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
But Messi doesn't play on the right, you wouldn't be shifting him because while he is nominally a right winger/inside forward he never is there, most of the time he plays through the middle which creates a lot of imbalance with the middle and left side overcrowded and the right side completely deserted. Griezmann and whoever plays as striker currently has the problem of having to share space with Messi in the middle.
I never said anything about where Messi plays. I disagree if you think that he plays a false9. I also don't think that Suarez has any problem with sharing space in the middle with Messi. Without Messi, Suarez would be done.

JPRouve

Scout
I never said anything about where Messi plays. I disagree if you think that he plays a false9. I also don't think that Suarez has any problem with sharing space in the middle with Messi. Without Messi, Suarez would be done.
I didn't say that he was currently playing as a false nine and Suarez hasn't been particularly good in the last couple of seasons.

MetoTTT

A very bad choice of a club after "La décision" bs. No one wanted him there (Messi just doesn't want play with him). He can thank his dad. Don't want him here at all. Barcelona made some terrible transfers lately (Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann etc).
Messi for years has been a very important asset in their team, surrounded by great players of course. Now I have the feeling that he is pulling them down.
Neymar-Griezmann swap deal and everybody could be happy.

amolbhatia50k

He is actually 29 and I meant RF similar to what Rashford does as LF. My mistake, but I feel Griezman can still offer something special. Also, as I said in my original posts, I would only be committed to this once Ole see's him as a fit for our squad. If not, I won't be too concerned as Ole has shown he has what it takes when choosing his players.

Just, maybe it's too early to write him off, bad move at a bad time, but he was never one who relies on pace and exposivenes, so it's hard to see how he has deteriorated or whether the crisis at Barcelona has affected him like others.
If Ole feels that way, I'd disagree with Ole. He's not some genius manager I'd be willing to let go of the logic I am inclined to believe in favour of. He's been a fantastic player over the years, and I won't bet against him re-reaching that level of performances in the future. However, I do believe that every football has to have it's own particular vision. And I think our current set of players represent ours pretty well. Whether it's players LVG brought in /through like Martial and Rashford or those that Mourinho did (Fred/McTominay) or Ole (AWB), or Greenwood who I can't remember under whom he made his debut, through years of being mismanaged we appear to have a theme in this team of pace, skill, explosiveness and the right age. Also, we generally have no faired well in recent buying players A) at the wrong side of the 30s and B) who have some positional issues. And Griezmann as good as he is, has a specific skillset that doesn't allow him to be slotted.. just anywhere. He isn't a Neymar who you just pick up and put in. He's not quick enough for a wide man, he's not strong enough for a 9. He's excellent at what he does but I dont believe we need that given we have Pogba and Fernandes in central areas.

So yeah, I think we need, far more than Griezmann, someone on the wide right who looks at home there, who can beat a man, who can pass and who looks like he can run that flank for years. Sancho is perfect. But if not, another one who fits the profile. Griezmann could work, but I wouldnt' take the risk.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Griezzman is exactly the type of signing that we don't need to make. It would be another DiMaria or Sanchez. We have moved away from these types of signings under Ole and I hope it continues. He had his chance. He courted us in order to get attention elsewhere. No thanks. We don't want other clubs scraps...

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Spot on. Bruno seems to love Pogba I’m
Sure he’ll stay but Griezmann is a much much better player than Martial so if it’s on the table united should go for it
No he's not, get that nonsense out of here :lol:

Past years, sure but saying Griezman this season is a better player than Martial let alone "much much better" border on delusion.

romufc

Griezzman is exactly the type of signing that we don't need to make. It would be another DiMaria or Sanchez. We have moved away from these types of signings under Ole and I hope it continues. He had his chance. He courted us in order to get attention elsewhere. No thanks. We don't want other clubs scraps...
We should just tell him we are really interested in signing him, then when he thinks we will make an offer, be like no thanks. Literally what he did to us.

Stay away from this signing at all costs.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This place always amazes me how they love raving about other teams flops. Rating them based on what they'd done in years past rather how they're currently performing. This whole thing reminds me of Sanchez before coming here where everyone was spewing the same talks about him being much better than our own players despite him already showing signs of decline than he got here and turned out to be an utter flop.

Martial has been a better player than Griezman this year therefore the latter isn't a better player than him let alone much much better. If you want to talk about past years then sure Griezman is a better player but not on this season's evidences he's not and unlike most on the Caf I'm not gonna waste my time overrating someone currently flopping on name alone.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No he's not, get that nonsense out of here :lol:

Past years, sure but saying Griezman this season is a better player than Martial let alone "much much better" border on delusion.
BS, Griezmann is being played out of position. As a player he is inarguably better than Martial it’s not even close. Swap out Martial with Griezmann and United would’ve finished third in the league instead of battling for a CL spot.

JPRouve

Scout
BS, Griezmann is being played out of position. As a player he is inarguably better than Martial it’s not even close. Swap out Martial with Griezmann and United would’ve finished third in the league instead of battling for a CL spot.
That's not true, we would lose what Martial provided and even though I do think that Griezmann is currently better, he would only be an actual asset with Martial in a 4231. He would be a massive upgrade on Lingard during the first part of the season but at best a marginal one on Fernandes.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You're simply throwing excuses around. Truth of the matter is Griezman has been poor this season and has so far flopped at Barcelona while Martial has had a better season than him and performed better. Also we're actually on our way to third place.

I also agree that with Griezman in the team this season we're likely sitting on 3rd or on our way there but that's not the point. It doesn't matter why a player is performing poorly, the point is that he's been poor this season and Martial has outperformed him. Now whether he could have outperformed Martial under different circumstance is another debate altogether and frankly doesn't matter in accessing who is the better player this season.

JPRouve

Scout
You're simply throwing excuses around. Truth of the matter is Griezman has been poor this season and has so far flopped at Barcelona while Martial has had a better season than him and performed better. Also we're actually on our way to third place.

I also agree that with Griezman in the team this season we're likely sitting on 3rd or on our way there but that's not the point. It doesn't matter why a player is performing poorly, the point is that he's been poor this season and Martial has outperformed him. Now whether he could have outperformed Martial under different circumstance is another debate altogether and frankly doesn't matter in accessing who is the better player this season.
I disagree with that, it matters a lot why a player is performing poorly. Particularly when said players does well, when the team plays collectively. There is a reason why most Barcelona players are doing poorly.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

So a player having a better season means he’s the better player overall? No, disagree with that completely. Griezmann IS a better player than martial. Martial still wouldn’t sniff the starting XI of the French national team. Griezmann having a bad season is due to being played out of position and being completely misused. The fact that United still seem to be very interested in signing him despite having Martial says it all. But it’s understandable a United player would get overrated on a United forum.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
So a player having a better season means he’s the better player overall? No, disagree with that completely. Griezmann IS a better player than martial. Martial still wouldn’t sniff the starting XI of the French national team. Griezmann having a bad season is due to being played out of position and being completely misused. The fact that United still seem to be very interested in signing him despite having Martial says it all. But it’s understandable a United player would get overrated on a United forum.
We seem to be interested in signing Griezman? Where did you hear that? Even if we were interested in signing him that would be to play as RW, nothing to do with Martial.

Ironic you talk about me as a United fan overrating our players while yourself as a Barca fan seem to think everyone is clamoring for your flop when that couldn't be further from the truth.

2019/20 Martial > 2019/20 Griezman. And no we're not interested in him right now and he wouldn't replace Martial in our team so stop deluding yourself :lol:

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

A lot of posters don’t want him and neither do I. Don’t know where he would fit in as would prefer for the money available to be put towards getting Sancho & a midfielder.

Having said though, would you open to this if it was a loan with an option to buy?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We seem to be interested in signing Griezman? Where do hear hear that? Even if we were interested in signing him that would be to play as RW, nothing to do with Martial.

Ironic you talk about me as a United fan overrating our players while yourself as a Barca fan seem to think everyone is clamoring for your flop when that couldn't be further from the truth.

2019/20 Martial > 2019/20 Griezman. And no we're not interested in him right now and he wouldn't replace Martial in our team so stop deluding yourself :lol:
And yet Griezmann is still the much better player. Modric won ballon d’or in 2018,
Does that mean he’s better than Messi? Heck no

Martial is having a good year but not in the same tier as Griezmann overall. A better season doesn’t mean he’s the better player overall. He won’t even start in the next euros.

As for interest it’s going both ways now:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-united-transfers-sancho-griezmann-18531186

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1304029/Man-Utd-Antoine-Griezmann-transfer-news-Barcelona

JPRouve

Scout
A lot of posters don’t want him and neither do I. Don’t know where he would fit in as would prefer for the money available to be put towards getting Sancho & a midfielder.

Having said though, would you open to this if it was a loan with an option to buy?
I don't want him at United, I don't think that he is a good tactical fit and he would be expensive in terms of wage and loan fee. I wanted him to stay at Atletico and beat the goalscoring record but now he should go to Milan or Inter, he could actually be swapped with Lautaro Martinez which would be reminiscent of an other swap deal between these two teams.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
And yet Griezmann is still the much better player. Modric won ballon d’or in 2018,

Martial is having a good year but not in the same tier as Griezmann overall. A better season doesn’t mean he’s the better player overall. He won’t even start in the next euros.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-united-transfers-sancho-griezmann-18531186

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1304029/Man-Utd-Antoine-Griezmann-transfer-news-Barcelona

Now you just sound angry and hurt :lol:

Our interest has been on the likes of Sancho and Grealish. Sure we might be interested in Griezman(which would be a mistake) if we can't get our initial targets but as things we aren't into him. A player that need a team to create a specific role for him isn't what we need and thankfully we aren't looking at him. No one want to have same Barca issues where they'll be moaning about suiting a system for Griezman or talking about him being played out of position.

Martial to us is far more valuable than what Griezman would bring to the table. We don't have a specific role tailored for him waiting.

Also if Griezman doesn't get himself out of Barcelona and has another dud season while Martial continue going on the up, all these talks of him being a better players will be distant history. So for his sake he better pray things work out for him at Barca(unlikely) or find himself another club that'll suit his specific strengths.

Last edited:

fps

I don’t think so, not for what United are trying to do, he lacks dynamism. If you ask who I’d want in United’s team next season it would be Martial.

cyberman

Yeah.. This is nonsense

tjb

This guy is too overrated and Barca exposed him like I thought they would. He is literally a player that is average as a winger, average as a striker and average as a pure attacking midfielder. He's a glorified Dele Alli with better first touch and dribbling. Can only be useful when positioned directly behind the striker in a game where two man forward lines are rare. Even as the second striker, at no point in his entire career was he a top ten player in the world like some are saying here. He simply took the glory of the Atletico set up and defence. They used him in literally the only way he would be world class and that in addition to the fact that Atleti as a team reached the UCL final convinced people that he was much more than he was. I'd go as far as to say, Diego Costa for Chelsea had more impact than Griezman has ever had on any team in his career. Very overrated player.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
There is zero chance of United going for Griezmann now.

mad1max954

100% this. Absolutely right, signing 29+ galacticos is insane. Definition of insanity is to do the same things and expect different results.

feck you very much griezmann ‘la decision’ give me a break!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Now you just sound angry and hurt :lol:

Our interest has been on the likes of Sancho and Grealish. Sure we might be interested in Griezman(which would be a mistake) if we can't get our initial targets but as things we aren't into him. A player that need a team to create a specific role for him isn't what we need and thankfully we aren't looking at him. No one want to have same Barca issues where they'll be moaning about suiting a system for Griezman or talking about him being played out of position.

Martial to us is far more valuable than what Griezman would bring to the table. We don't have a specific role tailored for him waiting.

Also if Griezman doesn't get himself out of Barcelona and has another dud season while Martial continue going on the up, all these talks of him being a better players will be distant history. So for his sake he better pray things work out for him at Barca(unlikely) or find himself another club that'll suit his specific strengths.
I assume you work for martial with these types of posts? You’re talking about euro player of the tournament and a World Cup winner and then you have...martial wow.

A player being played out of position isn’t the players fault, Griezmann has a far far better work rate than martial and is comfortably the better player. Martial is in a better situation than Griezmann right now but you’d have to be delusional to think he’s the better player. This is the only forum in the world where people are deluded enough to think martial even has an argument

MrEleson

Even as the second striker, at no point in his entire career was he a top ten player in the world like some are saying here.
*Top scorer at Euro16 & voted player of the tournament
*Finished 3rd in the Ballon D’or only behind Ronaldo & Messi in the same year.

He’s struggling at Barca right now due to their dysfunctional set-up and clueless coach not because of his lack of quality. Saying he was never top 10 in the world is just untrue.