Griezmann - Barcelona player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And no doubt he'd have not worked bearing in mind we'd have probably shoehorned him in on the right
That's my issue and that's the issue that Barcelona has with their terrible managers. Now in hindsight with Ole, I think that it would have worked because we actually have a tactical framework offensively while Barcelona and United under Mourinho were based on hoping that someone does something on his own.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You need to get players like Griezmann when they're about to make their first big move (Sociedad to Atletico). Once they've already had their peak years it's too late. The current version of Griezmann is not the one we saw at Atletico.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I always wonder why Barca go for him, their style just doesn't match, they should have save the cash to buy back Neymar instead.

mshnsh

A hardworking player but would not have suited the us due to lack of pace. But than again we seem to be happy with mediocrity these days (see rashford et al).

Doesnt have guile either so he doesn't suit Barcelona.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Up for sale alongside 90 percent of their squad.
Safe to say we dodged a bullet in the long run? Thats a 100m transfer with no Bruno coming in if he did join.

Barca looked screwed, it seems its only us and City who can spend. I cant see how they get a fraction of their investment back
At his very best in his very best position, Grizou is a top 10 player in the world. Don’t really think you could call it a ‘bullet dodged’. We’d have made the team around him, likely.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Barcelona has been so baffling in some of their decisions since they lost Neymar, it was like a knockout punch that left them dazed and they've been making mainly stupid decisions since then. Dembele is not a good fit (without even getting into health issues), they get Todibo and try to sell him a year later, Coutinho, Griezmann now.

Griezmann's a good player but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to show that at Barcelona. I'd happily take him off their club at a discount.

hmchan

Never wanted him to be honest. Can only play behind a target man as a second striker. Not versatile and complete enough. Always difficult for such a limited player with so many restrictions to adapt to a new system. No surprise he struggles at Barcelona.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd still take him. I don't think Martial will ever reach his level.

cyberman

At his very best in his very best position, Grizou is a top 10 player in the world. Don’t really think you could call it a ‘bullet dodged’. We’d have made the team around him, likely.
Same as Pogba though? We were playing everybody out of position at the time. Griezmanns position is becoming rarer and rarer as the game evolves.
Its clear to me that we would be looking back on his transfer as part of our buying big names for the sake of it era.
In Bruno we have somebody to pick a pass and unlock defences, Antoine is more of a hard working second striker.
He needs a Costa or Giroud to work off of, a presence up front to occupy defenders and be a focal point.
A fluid attacking line crowds him out of the areas he excels in so i cant see him working well with Martial and Rashford.

Wayne's World

Still a classy player who's been criminally underused at Barcelona. I really don't think Valverde had a clue on what to do with him, seen him playing left-wing back at times this season.

I'd take him in the morning If he was going for under 50 million. On form, still one of the deadliest players in front of goal in football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There was talk of Suarez moving to MLS in the rumours this morning although I would be very shocked, he still has more to offer to european football in next 2 years.

Add in Dembele frequently injured and Messi coming up to mid 30s (although of course he can still play in God mode for many games) and I'm interested to see how Barcelona reshape their final third options over next 2-3 seasons.

It's a bold prediction now but wouldn't shock me if they dropped a fair few places when Messi can't do it anymore, back to their level around 2001-02 when they were finishing 6th and only qualifying for CLs on final days when Rivaldo was hitting ridiculous hat tricks v Valencia.

Signing of Ronaldinho changed the mentality and that continued with Messi coming through a few years later. Going to be quite a void when he leaves or has to play pretty deep.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A hardworking player but would not have suited the us due to lack of pace. But than again we seem to be happy with mediocrity these days (see rashford et al).

Doesnt have guile either so he doesn't suit Barcelona.
Wait, what?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How many of Barca’s signing have worked out in recent years?

JPRouve

Scout
I’ve only had one coffee today so I’m probably being stupid but I don’t follow you sorry mate.
There is no way he seriously wrote Rashford, so maybe we misread his post.

JPRouve

Scout
How many of Barca’s signing have worked out in recent years?
The only ones that worked are when the manager decided to do his job and reorganize properly the team. For example, Paulinho or Umtiti. The rest have been victims of incredible laziness from the staff and probably internal politics.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
There was talk of Suarez moving to MLS in the rumours this morning although I would be very shocked, he still has more to offer to european football in next 2 years.

Add in Dembele frequently injured and Messi coming up to mid 30s (although of course he can still play in God mode for many games) and I'm interested to see how Barcelona reshape their final third options over next 2-3 seasons.

It's a bold prediction now but wouldn't shock me if they dropped a fair few places when Messi can't do it anymore, back to their level around 2001-02 when they were finishing 6th and only qualifying for CLs on final days when Rivaldo was hitting ridiculous hat tricks v Valencia.

Signing of Ronaldinho changed the mentality and that continued with Messi coming through a few years later. Going to be quite a void when he leaves or has to play pretty deep.
Over 2/3 seasons reshaping the front line does not seem that daunting
Griezman and dembele are there and if they go will bring in good fees
Pedri and fati coming through
So basically they need to sign lets say 3 players over 3 seasons so 6 transfer windows

And did ronaldiniho really change the mentality

I'm remembering maradonna, laudrup, romario, Ronaldo, figo, rivaldo off the top of my head

Over the next 3 seasons I'm sure you will see Barca sign a top player or two up front and some top young talent to supplement it as well

RUCK4444

He deserves this for the self satisfying egotistic drama he caused around his transfer on social media. Remember that?

Couldn’t stand him after that, feckin moppy headed sap.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He deserves this for the self satisfying egotistic drama he caused around his transfer on social media. Remember that?

Couldn’t stand him after that, feckin moppy headed sap.
Didn''t he like release a short docu about him staying at Atletico and later signed for Barca?

JPRouve

Scout
Didn''t he like release a short docu about him staying at Atletico and later signed for Barca?
La Decision. But it's worth mentioning that he only left when his best mate, Godin, decided to leave Atletico.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If I'm not mistaken around Bale's wage, no one in the prem is close to that.
That’s going to be a big problem for them if they really do want to get rid of him. He’s not going to take a pay cut so they’d probably have to take a low fee to allow wages to be bumped up with signing bonuses or whatever.

RUCK4444

Yes! He made a short film and backtracked on staying at Atletico and moved to Barca after more drama on social media.

It was a total embarrassment, it was good in a way though because it instantly removed any disappointment I had about us not signing him, don’t want that sort of self absorbed clown at United.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes! He made a short film and backtracked on staying at Atletico and moved to Barca after more drama on social media.

It was a total embarrassment, it was good in a way though because it instantly removed any disappointment I had about us not signing him, don’t want that sort of self absorbed clown at United.
He didn't backtrack, the film was about him deciding to stay.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I liked him at Sociedad but when we were linked with him when Jose was here, you could tell something wasn't quite right. Seemed like a typical Jose signing that we'd be trying to shift ourselves right now.

RUCK4444

Barca have possibly the hardest task in world football since SAF retired at United.

They are left chasing an impossible goal of recreating past squads and meanwhile playing the Barca way.

They’ve wasted truly frightening amounts of money already and seems they are having to sell a load of players before being able to try again.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes and then he moved to Barca, how is that not backtracking?
He moved a year later under different circumstances. The documentary is about his decision to extend in 2018 or not, he decided to extend and actually did it.

Pughnichi

Haaland will likely be on the move again when Barca are in need of a new striker

Deery

Dreary
I don’t think we need him now we have Bruno, maybe last year I would of taken him no problem but not now.

The fee and wages he’s on wouldn’t justify buying him I’d rather we go for Sancho it would make more sense.

RUCK4444

He moved a year later under different circumstances. The documentary is about his decision to extend in 2018 or not, he decided to extend and actually did it.
Yes but to stay and then promptly move the following season doesn’t exactly appease the fans.

He was flirting with us and other clubs for a good few years and moved as soon as a move physically materialised.

I do think we’ve dodged a bullet somewhat, he’s dropped a level and no doubt would do so even more in the PL.