Groundhog Day as transfer window excuses arrive

quethenoo

Talk about taking things out of context? How about concentrating on one thing but not what he said about being a tough transfer window ...the same old same old fed mantra that i am fed up with.

Words are not enough..the club has to act but again it is all last minute if anything is done at all.
How is that out of context? What is out of context is how you are reporting his words to suit your narrative. He did not speak out at all, he was asked a question in an interview and gave an opinion. Which is common sense really, of course the window doesn't favour the British teams.

R'hllor

Yea, transfer window closing earlier compared with rest of Europe, true but are they gonna go full Dory and pretend that length period behind us never happened or?

We cant force other teams to be interested in our shitty players and buy them, thats also true but extending their contracts on other hand, oh boy, God knows we dont have any problems to do that.

Speaking of which, we are really clueless at improving players we buy, maybe even in general, make their values go up etc, hell maybe we should hire a team who can make them look good and pull a scam.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
@Ranchero

There's still a week remaining in the current transfer window, couldn't this thread have waited until it closes?

If we do no further business from this point, though, this place will erupt. The club will deserve it, as well. James and AWB won't be nearly enough to alter our position from last year.

::sonny::

Every year I read about revolution, big transfers, 10 players signed, 10 players sold; but this never happen, the avg is two signings year and contract extension for the dead wood

Alabaster Codify7

If we do, I better not see applause at Old Trafford if results don't go our way.

Woodward has made an absolutely mockery of this club. This season should be the final straw for him.

He's played a blinder though, Woodward. He has Ole in charge. Even if the crowd are livid, there will STILL be cheers and chants for Ole to show support to him which will not bother the sponsors really as it will still seem like there's a decent atmosphere at the club/ground.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I expected much better. I thought Woody was actually going to something good this window. Was expecting 5 signing in before preseason to get them used to Ole's methods and more time to gel with the squad. I was wrong and I don't think we will have anymore signing hope Woody proves me wrong. I think the one transfer at a time bollux is excuse for Woody when he can say that "it took too much time so we weren't able to secure necessary targets".

Your point in bold is a very valid one and I've been thinking the same myself. I thought we would definitely be getting rid of some of the deadwood.

Apt title fecking Groundhog Day. I mentioned it felt like that in a post the other day and it fecking hurts to use the term. This transfer window has p!ssed me off so far although that could well change but I doubt it. Feels to me like Ole has been severely let down by Woody.
Why would you expect better from the feckup that's Ed?

He's consistently done things wrongly ever since he took charge and should have been sacked long ago for his incompetence in hiring the right people for the club.

AJ10

Quotes without context - Check
Pictures - Check
People falling for rubbish like this - Check.

Are you a "journalist" for mail?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It might be excuses but I would rather Ole run transfers on the long term approach than spunk a load of money as fast as he can this summer.

Just call him by his name mate. It’s never going to be funny
No one expected or even wanted United to buy the typical washed up player on ridiculous salary or/and fees, target which saw the club being saddled with the likes of Valdes, Bastian, Sanchez, Ibra and co. I think most of us expected the club to address our issues by bringing the appropriate people to sort the situation. That included a DOF, a RB, a CB, a DM and a RW. If we lose players then of course we'll have to buy a replacement as well. Herrera and Fellaini left so they needed replacement + there's rumours of Lukaku leaving as well. Many expect that money should be spent strengthening the squad not just paying the Glazer's debt.

Sp00ks11

Still don’t get how anyone is surprised by this. This happens year after year, we are not a big club anymore that’s just a fact. Big clubs do what Real Madrid have done after having 1 shit season, we have had about 6 shit seasons and nobody at the club gives a shite. Hence why our only outfield world class player is desperate to leave.

I said it before and I will say it again, this current United team will finish between 5 and 10th this season. The ambition has faded big time.

edgar allan

He's consistently done things wrongly ever since he took charge and should have been sacked long ago for his incompetence in hiring the right people for the club.
He is paid to do as he is told.

edgar allan

@Ranchero

There's still a week remaining in the current transfer window, couldn't this thread have waited until it closes?

If we do no further business from this point, though, this place will erupt. The club will deserve it, as well. James and AWB won't be nearly enough to alter our position from last year.
Our position will be altered for sure but not in the direction we would want.

Smores

It might be excuses but I would rather Ole run transfers on the long term approach than spunk a load of money as fast as he can this summer.
This is the type of meaningless bollocks we'll see. Excusing our business by creating some hypothetical scenario where the alternative is to waste money.

DamoK

It’s been a pretty sad transfer season for us. We have had time and opportunity to repair some of the holes but it looks like the club has no real interest.

Dybala/Maguire etc are not coming nor were they ever. Pure smoke and mirrors so they can say ‘we tried’ or whatever excuse is pulled from their arses.

I genuinely feel the ownership no longer care about the football side unless it affects business.

They need to go or we will be mid table regulars before we know it.
Did they ever care about the football side of the club , they took over a team at the top of European football and have ran it into the ground. They did the same with Tampa Bay Buccaneers ! Look at what Madrid did this summer after they had 1 bad season, 5 signings in early and now they might sign van de beek too. So that's Jovic, Hazard, militao, Mendy, rodrygo and possibly van de beek compare that to our business and you can see that we are no longer a big football club we are arsenal 2.0. our owners are happy to just compete for top 4.

MrSingh2002

We let Herrera and Fellaini go who were two of our teams best performers whether you like it or not.

We haven't replaced either of them. If that's not cause for concern I don't know what is.

Moonwalker

If you're convinced that your heart is in the right place, there's no harm in distorting a few words here and there. It adds effect and it's for a good cause.

What I'm really disappointed with in this op is that it lacks more celebrity life, astrology, nudity and catastrophe.

Shark

@NotShark
Still don’t get how anyone is surprised by this. This happens year after year, we are not a big club anymore that’s just a fact. Big clubs do what Real Madrid have done after having 1 shit season, we have had about 6 shit seasons and nobody at the club gives a shite. Hence why our only outfield world class player is desperate to leave.

I said it before and I will say it again, this current United team will finish between 5 and 10th this season. The ambition has faded big time.
Sadly agree. We can't really call ourselves a big club/giant of the game anymore, as we simply don't behave like one. The cracks were appearing before SAF retired too. Ronaldo was replaced by Valencia and Owen for crying out loud. This club just simply isn't the club many of us for grown up supporting anymore.

Ranchero

You've definitely twisted words to fit your narrative.. Ole has always talked about having a long term vision and it's clear as day (no matter who was in charge), the squad needs major surgery and it will take years to be title challengers again. The quote about the window shutting is out of context considering he was asked about it shutting early. People really need to stop constantly sh*tting on our managers for our transfer troubles. It's Woodward/Judge's responsibility to make the deals for players Ole approves/targets. To be honest if we get Dybala and Maguire (big if), I'd say it's been a good window. Probably posted this 10x times now, but we can't fix everything in one window and let's wait until the window is shut before having a break down over the lack of signings.
My god if only i could be so calculating! The fact is Ole is defending the club's activities in the transfer market. We all know he is not responsible for that. But he is the mouthpiece.

Ranchero

If you're convinced that your heart is in the right place, there's no harm in distorting a few words here and there. It adds effect and it's for a good cause.

What I'm really disappointed with in this op is that it lacks more celebrity life, astrology, nudity and catastrophe.
Dammit i knew there was something missing.

AFC NimbleThumb

We don’t have an option to pay these players pennies when they sign for us. The world knows we have the ability to offer substantial wages, and therefore we invariably need to do so to secure deals. Predictably you’ve not factored in the other parties in this. We could offer our ‘trash’ for free but they still need to agree wages with the buying club. No one wants to pay Rojo £80k a week, so there isn’t the incentive for those players to move on. It gets to the point where is it really worth getting peanuts for these players and having to subsidise their wages in order to get them off our books?
So these are the things I scribble on the back of my fag packets [I’m no smoker but apparently this is where business is done].

I’ll use fictional player Dario Marmian for this example.

We buy this ‘asset’ for [reported] £13mil.

The asset devalues and last summer an offer comes in from Inter for €10mil [for arguments sake we’ll call this £8mil in this instance] but we’re haggling for closer to the £13mil we paid & don’t end up selling.

So he spends the next year not doing much & collecting £80k a week, £4.1mil per year.

So instead of getting £8mil & not paying £4.1mil for a season we have further devalued the player & paid his £4.1mil wages.

So in short, yes [imo] it is worth getting rid of these assets at a subsidised rate because they have 0 value to us on the pitch & we aren’t going to increase their value so there comes a point where surely you cut your losses.

You knew we hadn’t made contact how exactly? But if you want to make that a criticism then you make it for every player brought in beyond the first few days of the window. Was Pepe signed immediately or was he signed after AWB? So why are you using him as an example of how business should be done?
Not really sure what you’re getting at here but you obviously want to disagree with me so. . . You’ve asked a lot of questions there so I’ll sum up what I can.

I don’t ‘know’ when first contact was made, kind of like how you’ve stated transfer figures & wages as ‘fact’ but can’t actually ‘know’ these things either.

We’re fans on a forum quarrelling over things we for all intents and purposes are not privy to.

You can’t fact check me here, you’re as clueless on the ‘facts’ as most of us are so it’s abit redundant.

I was discussing our transfer activity this summer, it’s impossible to not discuss AWB. I would like to see signings like these concluded in a Nani-esque manner.

Maguire as you’ve stated is an eyewatering amount so would understandably take longer, last week of the transfer window long though I’m unsure.

Deals are not concluded in a vacuum but if you want a player & value him highly then pay it or move on. Kind of like the mentality most have re: the Pogba situation.

Indeed Palace gave a non negotiable valuation of £60mil upfront, a fee many here wanted us to ‘just pay.’ We didn’t pay that though, did we? We paid 45+5. We negotiated an apparently unnegotiable fee.
I’ve never been one to care much about transfer fees, in particular with our ownership structure. It’s not as if saving £10mil on a deal will materialise into another deal with our owners so I’m glad for them to pay/overpay on any deal.

The Transfer Tweet thread was littered with articles stating CP wanted anything from £50-£60mil but the truth is you don’t know & neither do I but again, please keep disagreeing with me for the sake of the discussion.

Our midfield remains the big headache. But Dybala is not a midfielder.
Didn’t say he was. Referenced Di Maria & Depay as no.7 saviours. To clear it up, I know he’s not a midfielder.

red4ever 79

Let's be honest. It's a shambles. Here we are again a few days before the window closes trying to sign players. We look desperate (which we are) I dont blame Leicester hiking up the price for Magurie.

What the feck is Ed and his transfer committee doing?

Nialinho

My god if only i could be so calculating! The fact is Ole is defending the club's activities in the transfer market. We all know he is not responsible for that. But he is the mouthpiece.
You'd have him come out and slate the lack of activity in true Mourinho fashion? Come on man, the fact is (in relation to the question) the window shutting early doesn't help us at all!

Jeffthered

The introductory post for this thread is, in my opinion, spot on. The term, or thoughts surrounding 'Manchester United, contracts and transfer deals..' has almost become a bit of a joke in recent seasons. Long, drawn out sagas, over-paying players, player's who who do not even wish to be at the club...

It's embarrassing.

I love, love this club.. It affects me, more so than it should I feel at times, but I would not wish to feel any other way. And that is why how the club is currently being administratered, from boardroom to manager, both frustrates and disappoints me so v much.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So these are the things I scribble on the back of my fag packets [I’m no smoker but apparently this is where business is done].

I’ll use fictional player Dario Marmian for this example.

We buy this ‘asset’ for [reported] £13mil.

The asset devalues and last summer an offer comes in from Inter for €10mil [for arguments sake we’ll call this £8mil in this instance] but we’re haggling for closer to the £13mil we paid & don’t end up selling.

So he spends the next year not doing much & collecting £80k a week, £4.1mil per year.

So instead of getting £8mil & not paying £4.1mil for a season we have further devalued the player & paid his £4.1mil wages.

So in short, yes [imo] it is worth getting rid of these assets at a subsidised rate because they have 0 value to us on the pitch & we aren’t going to increase their value so there comes a point where surely you cut your losses.

Not really sure what you’re getting at here but you obviously want to disagree with me so. . . You’ve asked a lot of questions there so I’ll sum up what I can.

I don’t ‘know’ when first contact was made, kind of like how you’ve stated transfer figures & wages as ‘fact’ but can’t actually ‘know’ these things either.

We’re fans on a forum quarrelling over things we for all intents and purposes are not privy to.

You can’t fact check me here, you’re as clueless on the ‘facts’ as most of us are so it’s abit redundant.

I was discussing our transfer activity this summer, it’s impossible to not discuss AWB. I would like to see signings like these concluded in a Nani-esque manner.

Maguire as you’ve stated is an eyewatering amount so would understandably take longer, last week of the transfer window long though I’m unsure.

Deals are not concluded in a vacuum but if you want a player & value him highly then pay it or move on. Kind of like the mentality most have re: the Pogba situation.

I’ve never been one to care much about transfer fees, in particular with our ownership structure. It’s not as if saving £10mil on a deal will materialise into another deal with our owners so I’m glad for them to pay/overpay on any deal.

The Transfer Tweet thread was littered with articles stating CP wanted anything from £50-£60mil but the truth is you don’t know & neither do I but again, please keep disagreeing with me for the sake of the discussion.
Well no it isn’t where business is done. That is quite literally the point I was making?

See the top and bottom of your post are at complete odds. You say about wasting money on keeping Darmian in one breath, and in the next you say you care little about the savings we’ve acquired from negotiating the fee. The only reason you’re will to entertain this blatant hypocrisy is because it suits your narrative.

You might not care about it, but saving £10mil matters to every single club in the world. Even the deepest pockets in world football care. There’s a reason why City weren’t willing to match us on Sanchez’ wages. And this is the crux of it. You expect our club to forgo negotiations to get deals done quickly. Every club negotiates. Every. Single. One. This ‘pay it or move on’ is pie in the sky thinking that does not and has not ever applied to football. If a club wasn’t going into deals with negotiation in mind then they’re doing a pretty shit job.

Nice strawman. You were the one to take rumour as a statement of fact (‘everyone knew we were in for AWB in the transfer window’) but you take umbrage with me taking a similar approach? Only there is significantly more information available to back up my assumption than there is yours. Either you want to discuss things purely with fact or you don’t, you can’t cherry pick it when it’s convenient. You’re basing your complaint on conjecture, and then complaining about conjecture being used to counter it.

Eric's Seagull

I really dislike Woody but I thought he had finally learnt from the mistakes of the past, which to me he has not.

When I thought we were making the 5 signings I thought that was the turning point and finally thought he was going to listen our manager who knows a lot more about football than him but it seems that Woody has such a high opinion of his own knowledge of football that he is not willing to listen to people who know more about it than him. I 100% agree with your last comment.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well no it isn’t where business is done. That is quite literally the point I was making?

See the top and bottom of your post are at complete odds. You say about wasting money on keeping Darmian in one breath, and in the next you say you care little about the savings we’ve acquired from negotiating the fee. The only reason you’re will to entertain this blatant hypocrisy is because it suits your narrative.

You might not care about it, but saving £10mil matters to every single club in the world. Even the deepest pockets in world football care. There’s a reason why City weren’t willing to match us on Sanchez’ wages. And this is the crux of it. You expect our club to forgo negotiations to get deals done quickly. Every club negotiates. Every. Single. One. This ‘pay it or move on’ is pie in the sky thinking that does not and has not ever applied to football. If a club wasn’t going into deals with negotiation in mind then they’re doing a pretty shit job.

Nice strawman. You were the one to take rumour as a statement of fact (‘everyone knew we were in for AWB in the transfer window’) but you take umbrage with me taking a similar approach? Only there is significantly more information available to back up my assumption than there is yours. Either you want to discuss things purely with fact or you don’t, you can’t cherry pick it when it’s convenient. You’re basing your complaint on conjecture, and then complaining about conjecture being used to counter it.
So we’re still on this.

I could take umbrage [I do love that word] with your post & point fault but what is the point honestly; you’ve seen my post & got on one.

You’ve literally taken my point about a players value on the field [I literally mention he has 0 value on the pitch] & tried to say it goes against me not caring if the Glazers save £10mil or not. You keep trying to take me out of context & are being unreasonable to suit your narrative sir.

We’re now so far from the original topic it’s boring.

You’ve spent 3 posts telling me what I do or don’t think based on 3/4 paragraphs across 3/4 posts - I expect a club to forgive negotiations. Whilst I also think deals are done on the back of a fag packet. I take rumour as fact apparently, instead of having the common sense that we’ve lost our “1st choice RB” & he’d need replacing.

Honestly it’s exhausting.

The club has had a terrible summer [In my opinion], I’m more than happy to debate my points as I can be as wrong as I am right but spending my “Work From Home” hours going back & forth with someone who knows me better than myself is pointless.

You came in on the aggressive because you’ve assumed everything based on my OP, I even try to clarify the Maguire point in my previous post but you’re already on your soap box so it’s ignored.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
which feckwit had the great idea of our window closing beforee the rest of Europe... said at the time if fecking, feck-headedly dim
"No excuses", were the words used by Ole in advance of a pre-season and a huge transfer window for the club with investment in quality a must if we are ever to think about challenging for titles.

And he was talking about being ready for July 1, when the side went on pre-season.

The reality is we brought in two, a young prospect in Daniel James and Wan Bassaka, a right back with one super season behind him at Crystal Palace.

Since the sojourn to Australia we have been working on one or two deals and after a month and with six days to go till the transfer window slams shut we are again having the same old excuses coming out of Old Trafford.

We have been dithering for too long over Bruno Fernandes and Harry Maguire to the point you sense history repeating itself and that the targets will stay put or go elsewhere.

Now Ole has spoken out about the transfer window which closes in England a few weeks before the other major European leagues.

"I think we have picked the short straw," he said.

We have of course known the situation for some time.

"When we are done and our league starts there are still three more weeks with clubs hovering around your players, I don't think it's a good one for us, no," he added.

And we are now talking about a slow improvement.

"Of course you have to plan for long term but you need results and performances short term as well. But, I've always been that type of manager that I'm thinking about the best for the club in the long run," he said.

"If you only think one or two years down the line, I don't think that's right. My way of managing that's thinking long term and gradually we will improve."

A different tone from the week he arrived when he felt United should be title challengers.

On the club sealing any deals before next Thursday's deadline, he said: "We have been working on a few cases over the summer it's never easy but the club have been good but the market is very hard.

"We are trying to get into the start of the season with the squad we want."

Arsenal, however, don't appear to have the same sort of difficulties with four players through the door including over £70m on Pepe.

No excuses?

I think that's precisely what Ole's words are.

It's the same old, same old.

AFC NimbleThumb

I expected much better. I thought Woody was actually going to something good this window. Was expecting 5 signing in before preseason to get them used to Ole's methods and more time to gel with the squad. I was wrong and I don't think we will have anymore signing hope Woody proves me wrong. I think the one transfer at a time bollux is excuse for Woody when he can say that "it took too much time so we weren't able to secure necessary targets".

Your point in bold is a very valid one and I've been thinking the same myself. I thought we would definitely be getting rid of some of the deadwood.

Apt title fecking Groundhog Day. I mentioned it felt like that in a post the other day and it fecking hurts to use the term. This transfer window has p!ssed me off so far although that could well change but I doubt it. Feels to me like Ole has been severely let down by Woody.
Exactly.

We all had hope that the way the Jose ended his tenure we’d turn a corner & work differently in the market but I feel stupid expecting better after multiple examples of ineptitude.

Leaving a deal to the last week of the pre-season is not a good way to negotiate [but that’s my opinion & according to some in this post I’m not allowed one].

We aren’t putting ourselves in the best possible position going into the season & that to me is more valuable than an extra £10-£20mil on the Glazers bottom line.

Web of Bissaka

Ole isn't in charge of the transfer dealings.
Not much he can do other than giving out the list of players he wanted.

Earlier months, he's likely over-estimating the abilities of those who are in charge at the club.
Now Ole knows better.

Oh well, we'll be seeing more excuses from now on, unfortunately from the manager, because he'll be directly dealing with the press, while the real culprits (Ed and his team) hide behind.

jem

If we start the season with just AWB and the runner from the championship then we deserve all the abuse we will get.
Speaking of annoying habits, why the insistence on referring to James as 'the runner from the championship'?

devilish

Speaking of annoying habits, why the insistence on referring to James as 'the runner from the championship'?
Cause that is his main and possibly only asset and from were we bought him from. He runs fast and he runs alot or something of that kind

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nothing every happens on the weekend, or a Monday.

See you on Tuesday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cause that is his main and possibly only asset and from were we bought him from. He runs fast and he runs alot or something of that kind
So what would that make Martial?

The guy who runs a bit when he fancies it, and tries to take on always one too many players, from the French league?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
@Ranchero

Thursday 5pm.
So we have 6 days and just over 3 hours left - including a weekend, that we all know nothing ever happens on.

And still some people think we'll be bringing in 3 players and shipping Lukaku!

devilish

So what would that make Martial?

The guy who runs a bit when he fancies it, and tries to take on always one too many players, from the French league?
Martial is 10 times the player James currently is and that's when he doesn't bother playing.

devilish

I'm getting the impression you're not a fan..
He runs fast, very fast. That's a get away from jail card that can paper many cracks in his game. Is it enough? I don't know. Till then he's squad player material, nothing more nothing less. I look forward to shout :run: Daniel :run: at the telly

I wouldn't swap martial with a 1 trick pony though. At least not yet