Guardian Interview - Louis van Gaal: ‘I thought Manchester United could buy every player'

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Post-Fergie managerial win percentage stats:

Moyes: 52.94%
Giggs: 50%
LVG: 52.43%
Mourinho: 58.33%
OGS: 55.17%

So, he was our worst manager (Giggs only had 4 games).

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I did like LVG.
His football was crap and it was always going to be the same way however you could see what he was trying to do.

El Zoido

It’s funny that people are still so bitter towards him. He’s highlighting the disastrous way this club is run, with the higher-ups not having a fecking clue what they’re doing. He wasn’t even asked about systems in his interview ffs! What did Woody even ask him? For his thoughts on Splash Mountain?

youmeletsfly

It’s funny that people are still so bitter towards him. He’s highlighting the disastrous way this club is run, with the higher-ups not having a fecking clue what they’re doing. He wasn’t even asked about systems in his interview ffs! What did Woody even ask him? For his thoughts on Splash Mountain?
I don't understand it either.

Basically this is very good info about the club coming from a person that was actually fecking there and people still hate on him.

Irwin99

The football was mostly terrible but I liked LVG and he was a man with a good sense of humour and seemed to have a sense of honour. The point where he said ‘I can understand that you sack me.’ In a club like Manchester United you cannot lose three times in a row' seemed very likely.

One thing I think people don't give him credit for is that we usually pressed pretty well under LVG, especially in the big games. The emphasis on retrieving the ball back as quickly as possible and dominating possession was fine, it's just we were shite in creating chances when we had the ball. Two thirds of his philosophy was implemented pretty well.

Some pretty telling stuff though, he thought Spurs had better players than United in 14/15, Rooney wasn't a great captain off the pitch, he didn't get the players he wanted. Think every manager we've had has complained about pre season organisation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All comes down to recruitment. As he mentions, we needed creative players and he went with Di Maria and Depay.
Di Maria was and is creative.

He was our highest assister and only played about half a season :lol:

The fact is he didn't know how to use him properly, and he hated his high risk style.

kps88

The fact is he didn't know how to use him properly, and he hated his high risk style.
Yeah that was the problem. The creative players were the key signings he needed to get right but he couldn't manage it.

Member 93275

Van Gaal's tactical choices are a lot of things, but not outdated. He was always an attacking manager, but changed his ways at the Dutch team when Strootman got injured before the WC, and he thought there was not enough quality left. He then basically stole Koeman's 5-3-2 system at Feyenoord. I think he used a variant of that at United because high press was often punished in the PL when the quality was not there, and you cannot have games were you lose 4-0 of 5-0 at United even if you play attacking football and win games that way. Looked better going into the second season, but then Shaw and others got injured, and he reverted again. He also lacked a catalyst, like Robben at Bayern. Tried with Di Maria, Falcao, Van Persie and Rooney so was a bit unlucky none of them had a special season. I think he should have been more bold, which could also have gone wrong, but at least it wouldn't have been boring.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah that was the problem. The creative players were the key signings he needed to get right but he couldn't manage it.
It also didn't help that we played a very defensive 5-3-2 for most the season with Rooney and Falcao up top, and wingbacks of Young and Darmian.

A midfield of an aging Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Fellaini or Schneiderlin with Herrera sat on the bench was also not great for creativity.

Only once we got Martial + Rashford into the team and switched to a 4-3-3 more regularly did we start to show anything half decent, but the damage was done by then.

Johan07

Funny how he says he didn't want Di Maria, but he namedropped him in interviews as the type of player we were lacking and the reason for our shit football.
He did not say that. The opposite in fact: that he was satisfied with the signing but had a list of other players as well.

Bestietom

He is telling us how badly this club is being run and some idiots don't want to hear the truth. Fergie seen this coming also and got out.
Until we get change of ownership and a whole new structure of staff inside, no manager can get us back to the top.

Smores

Yet another interview that suggests our transfer structure isn't quite right and it's not all on the managers. Too many people on here slap it all on the managers because it's convenient in the absence of knowing the inner workings but it clearly isn't just them.

Sterling Archer

I don't understand it either.

Basically this is very good info about the club coming from a person that was actually fecking there and people still hate on him.
Exactly. This is truly important for us to hear. It confirms a lot of the worries.

Why are these fans stuck up on defending the club hierarchy that's been questionable since Sir Alex's days even?

Jonno

The problem is, we're clearly sh!te at getting players.

LVG and Jose have both alluded to a list-type transfer policy. Give the CEO a list of 5 names for each position that needs strengthening and you get what you're given.

They clearly try to get the very best available but we don't manage it. So we're left with the money-grabbing mercenaries like Di Maria who will half-heartedly play for us before leaving at a loss.

It's not good enough, we've splashed the cash for years but clearly not on our first choices.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He had to go. People are forgetting too easily. He reached the point of no return towards the end. Lost the fans and the players. The football was lifeless.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It's similar all over. No club gets every player they want. Other managers had to work to their squad strengths or circumnavigate their weaknesses - playing better than we ever did.

No manager will get a fair crack of the whip here with Woodward and the board serving the business needs rather than on the pitch.

Moyes, LvG and Jose all made mistakes - but it doesnt help when they get zero help from above.

Bestietom

Clubs don't always get the player they want. But you don't spend the whole transfer window flogging a dead horse when you could move on for someone else.

Reiver

Enjoyed the interview. I've always appreciated LVGs honesty, he calls it as he sees it, not that he is always right.
Interesting that he seems to confirm Di Maria was not his signing. He also confirms major issues with the structure of the club which are still ongoing. I always wondered how he managed to make it to the end of his last season - he seems to imply Mourinho was lined up months before.
I'll admit to wanting LVG gone. His last Xmas/New Year period was one of the most painful I have ever experienced as a Utd fan...until large parts of Mourinho's tenure. Also the second half of Ole's time in charge was starting to get there.
I like the man but he still had to go. His philosophy just wasn't working. Some of the LVG revisionism has been way over the top.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Our ball retention and defending improved plenty under him however his transfer activity was terrible. While it's easy to blame Woodward, those were players he wanted and every manager doesn't always get their 1st choice.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Great interview. He confirms what everyone's feared about the club, yet somehow some continue to defend Woodward.

KristianMackle

I never hated van Gaal. I was happy he was let go at the time he did but I've also always felt that if there was one manager who could've created a philosophy at United after SAF, it was him. For someone who molded Guardiola, he gets little credit.

Rory 7

Great interview. He confirms what everyone's feared about the club, yet somehow some continue to defend Woodward.
It does indeed confirm what most now know about the club. I actually thought the most insightful part of the interview was when he says the players simply weren’t as good as the other big clubs. That in and of itself is quite telling.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
He did not say that. The opposite in fact: that he was satisfied with the signing but had a list of other players as well.
LvG said:
"It is a strategy of Manchester United to do that," the Dutchman told the Sunday Mirror. "At this moment, we have five No 9s and four No 10s – and we don’t have wingers to give us attacking width.

"Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like [Cristiano] Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary."

He is more or less clearly stating that he wasn't his choice afterwards, but during
LvG said:
Ángel Di María, was he your choice?

Di María was my choice at AZ, seven years before
As for management:
LvG said:
Where did he want to play?

I always ask a player where he wants to play. For him it was wing, wide and mostly left.
Yet he played him all around the pitch, mostly in midfield and as a striker. Rarely on the left. He explains it that he didn't perform as a 80 million pound player on the left wing but he didn't have any patience for Di Maria to find form in any position.

Angel Di Maria also came out and said everything changed after 2 months at United due to a fight with LvG, over LvG being overly negative which was holding Di Maria back.

As for (others) calling people who "don't recognize the problems at the club" as idiots, well done in seeing B where someone states A. It's blindingly obvious for everyone that the club has a structural/personnel issue as well as other issues.

tomaldinho1

I really don't think it would have made any difference. The one player he named as the best in his tenure (De Gea) couldn't stand him and went from a certainty to leave to being really settled when LVG was sacked.

Would Pogba, Ibra and Mkhitaryan have signed if Jose hadn't replaced LVG? Almost certainly not. His signings were awful, the football was horrendous and it was hard to see LVG's United as an enticing project for a potential signing.
The question was the best player he worked with and he answered DDG, that's just a fact that most people would agree with regardless of if a player likes him. Outfield players he mentions Shaw, Herrera (above average) and Blind. The fact DDG was easily the best player he worked with says a lot about the squad.

Of course those three wouldn't have signed - Ibra categorically said so - but, then again, Pogba has been under constant criticism since he arrived and Mkhi didn't work out either. I'm not saying he would have us playing amazing football, more that it would be very interesting to see where we ended up as Mou spent more than him and I would argue had an even worse transfer record with us and basically we've gone back to defending deep and counter attacking.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
I think that it is the problem that he is alluding to. At United when you are the manager you have to do most of the leg work, the only people supporting you are the chief scout and the board. In most other clubs, LVG would be in contact with at least one technical director on an almost daily basis, someone that is totally focused on the football side of things while Woodward and Arnold are obviously split, they can give you a budget but that's the only actual support that you will get.
Nonsense, you don't get the concept of a technical director. Plus it's common knowlegde that Ferguson let his staff do most of the field work/training at United. He concentrated on the technical/motivational side and buying players.
All in typical English football management fashion.

But the latter, buying players, is actually part of the job description of a technical director.

A technical director is in charge of all things football , from the youngest juniors to the first team. Hiring and firing staff and players, communication with the scouting network/head of scouting, connecting the youth academy with the first team, making sure the youth academy plays the same football as the first team. Making sure the medical and tactical departments are well equipped. etc. Making sure all those people fit into the philosophy of the club.

Plus and very important, a technical director usually has a more mid- to long term vision, when most coaches have a short term approach. Mourinho for instance and his total lack of interest in integrating youth players into a first team.

Woodward on the other hand, doesn't have the knowlegde and experience. He's never seen a football club from the inside.

Hence one of my previous posts that United only has only commercial people in management and quite a number of them with the name Glazer.

United is a private equity investment driven by football marketing, licences and TV right revenue.

But United and the Glazers forgot, ignorant as they are, that the world has moved on considerable.

Reactions: Alex99

Amir

I thought the most telling issue in the interview was that he's saying United is the only club who didn't discuss his system or philosophy with him before his appointment. That's the problem.

The thing about not getting everyone he wanted, that's just a poor excuse.

Keefy18

One thing Moyes,Louis Van Gaal and Jose have constantly commented on ,which I wholeheartedly agree with,is the need for a DOF or a set-up that is similar to the ones at other major clubs.
We keep getting teased about how the club are looking to recruit a DOF ,or individuals who are will be placed in a similar role, and yet very little seems to be coming into fruition largely because the CEO is reported to want the majority of power in transfer dealings,in and out.
In fairness its been approx 6 months since we've started considering a DoF / TD. Which in reality is not a long time at all and if the rumors are true a few ex players have been interviewed about taking the role.

It's an extremely important role to fill so as a fan base we should be patient. Seen it at other clubs that it takes years to hire the right candidate in some instances.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I thought the most telling issue in the interview was that he's saying United is the only club who didn't discuss his system or philosophy with him before his appointment.
That's depressing as hell. Either they don't care (which is a betrayal) or they're content to leave football matters to the manager...and yet they still interfere.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nonsense, you don't get the concept of a technical director. Plus it's common knowlegde that Ferguson let his staff do most of the field work/training at United. He concentrated on the technical/motivational side and buying players.
All in typical English football management fashion.

But the latter, buying players, is actually part of the job description of a technical director.

A technical director is in charge of all things football , from the youngest juniors to the first team. Hiring and firing staff and players, communication with the scouting network/head of scouting, connecting the youth academy with the first team, making sure the youth academy plays the same football as the first team. Making sure the medical and tactical departments are well equipped. etc. Making sure all those people fit into the philosophy of the club.

Plus and very important, a technical director usually has a more mid- to long term vision, when most coaches have a short term approach. Mourinho for instance and his total lack of interest in integrating youth players into a first team.

Woodward on the other hand, doesn't have the knowlegde and experience. He's never seen a football club from the inside.

Hence one of my previous posts that United only has only commercial people in management and quite a number of them with the name Glazer.

United is a private equity investment driven by football marketing, licences and TV right revenue.

But United and the Glazers forgot, ignorant as they are, that the world has moved on considerable.
I didn't say a thing about the role of technical director, so your post is a bit strange particularly the first sentence.

Moriarty

I never hated van Gaal. I was happy he was let go at the time he did but I've also always felt that if there was one manager who could've created a philosophy at United after SAF, it was him. For someone who molded Guardiola, he gets little credit.
Mourinho too, to a certain extent.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Enjoyed the interview. I've always appreciated LVGs honesty, he calls it as he sees it, not that he is always right.
Interesting that he seems to confirm Di Maria was not his signing. He also confirms major issues with the structure of the club which are still ongoing. I always wondered how he managed to make it to the end of his last season - he seems to imply Mourinho was lined up months before.
I'll admit to wanting LVG gone. His last Xmas/New Year period was one of the most painful I have ever experienced as a Utd fan...until large parts of Mourinho's tenure. Also the second half of Ole's time in charge was starting to get there.
I like the man but he still had to go. His philosophy just wasn't working. Some of the LVG revisionism has been way over the top.
It is quite interesting to see Man Utd managers from Moyes->LVG->Mou->OGS. I have a hard time to understand how OGS can be an upgrade to LVG and Mou as a manager. Now Allegri is available, is he going to be a better candidate for the role? Even though I think he will fail no matter how much money Man Utd is going to spend this summer.

Foxbatt

Very interesting and should be interesting to some people on the style of play he was forced to adapt. People like LVG know a lot about football and building teams. I think his problem was that he believed Woodward too much.
It is interesting to hear him talk about the different style of play compared to City and Liverpool.

It is more important now that we get a quality DF and not someone like Rio Ferdinand. He also did mention about the Old Boys club at United.

newsdevil

He is a fraud. I don't have much more respect for him than Woodward.

He was once a great manager, but he wasn't here
Disagree.

Basically a couple of the world's greatest managers LVG & Jose couldn't make a difference with in the dysfunction at Manchester United.

I honestly believe you could hire Pep or Klopp and the results would be the same.

It is astonishing that Woodward has ANY responsibilities in the football department. Even more concerning is that the Glazers haven't realized the organizational structure is the greatest issue surrounding Manchester United.

Ole will suffer the same fate as Moyes, LVG & Jose

Velvet Revolver

We played 103, won 54, drew 25 and lost 24.

I didn't need to google that. I know it by heart.

Or not ;)
Nerd Alert!!!! :yawn:

Maybe we should look at Loss %. you could draw some games which are crucial and still do well isn't it? Look at pool this season. They just lost 1game but still didn't win the league

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I always get the feeling that out of our 3 ex managers between Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho, Van Gaal seems the most likeable. I actually liked the man a lot and I miss his sense of humour. It's just a shame he didn't work out with the club due to his stubbornness and playing style. He is an honest and honourable man. As much as I am a massive fan of Mourinho, one thing Van Gaal won over him is that he never speak badly about the club or the players during his time here. Don't think he also did when he left the club. I will always have time for Van Gaal for his 100% record against Liverpool and his big game managerial experience. We always win the big games with him in charge.