Guardiola : I Won’t Judge Jose

Hoof the ball

Last edited by a moderator:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And he is right, most managers dont.
I don't really have example of managers that won titles without top players but I suspect that they didn't repeat it more than one season.

arthurka

I don't really have example of managers that won titles without top players but I suspect that they didn't repeat it more than one season.
Ranieri is a good shout. Got fired the season after .

Other than Leicester who had a freak season I can't think of anyone else. So he's not wrong.

JPRouve

Scout
Ranieri is a good shout. Got fired the season after .
But then you have to question what are/were Kanté, Vardy and Schmeichel. And the way the favorites performed.

JPRouve

Scout
Only one top player in that group. Other teams had better squads and players.
But that's not the point, it's not about having absolutely a better squad but having top players in your own squad or even top individual performers in a given season. Which manager win without having top players? You can find managers that don't win with top players/performers but the opposite is extremely rare.

Needham

Could be the old Ferguson warming to Wenger type conversion in attitude because he no longer sees a credible threat.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Brian Clough is probably the ultimate overachiever, although even he had a few truly great players over the years, of course

Kapardin

Could be the old Ferguson warming to Wenger type conversion in attitude because he no longer sees a credible threat.
Jose and Pep have been fairly pally and respectful of each other ever since both came to Manchester. There has been some bad blood between the clubs but nothing personal between those two. Both were keen to move on from their history in Spain I suppose.

Jose also found out that Conte was a better punching bag in the meantime...

Greck

Jose and Pep have been fairly pally and respectful of each other ever since both came to Manchester. There has been some bad blood between the clubs but nothing personal between those two. Both were keen to move on from their history in Spain I suppose.

Jose also found out that Conte was a better punching bag in the meantime...
Jose hasn't really held back on referencing Pep and City's spending every chance he's got. Pep never took the bait or there'd have been mudslinging at some point. Pep has played it well unlike Conte who would foolishly get riled up over quotes that probably weren't even made in reference to him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Three things:

1) of course Guardiola would defend José in the press. For one thing, he's defending the role. For another, it makes him look better, both as a professional, as well as a manager because he's had the better of José so many times

2) It's natural for a manager to defend another manager against the press. You're defending a colleague. You'd have to be a massive cnut not to do it, and it would certainly piss off every other manager

3) Ranieri had Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. Vardy is one of the top 5-6 strikers in the league. Mahrez now plays for City. And Kante is one of the world's very best midfielders. All three proved that season wasn't a one off

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s also that only a managers knows the players he is working with, and by extension, the players he needs, to build a team in the style he believes in. Not a Slaphead banker with a monumental ego.

el3mel

Jose hasn't really held back on referencing Pep and City's spending every chance he's got. Pep never took the bait or there'd have been mudslinging at some point. Pep has played it well unlike Conte who would foolishly get riled up over quotes that probably weren't even made in reference to him.
He never really talked about Pep. He was talking about City spending which was going to happen irrelevant of their manager.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
3) Ranieri had Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. Vardy is one of the top 5-6 strikers in the league. Mahrez now plays for City. And Kante is one of the world's very best midfielders. All three proved that season wasn't a one off
His back four was :

Simpson - Morgan - Huth - Fuchs

That's relegation type defence.

el3mel

All top managers that win trophies consistently do it while spending loads of money and having the best players in the world. You can win a freak season with low quality but you'll never win consistentoy year in year out unless you have top players and spend a lot. Common mistakes done by some title winning sides is they refuse to spend after a huge season, think the squad is already good enough and doesn't imorovement and it usually backfires.

The only exception is SAF who can win consistently with anyone in his disposal. Mourinho, Pep, Carlo, Conte, Allegri, Zidane, Enrique..etc will never deliver year in year out without a top squad. Othewise we will need to move to tier 2 managers who can adapt with any playerz they have, play good football regulary but don't win much.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
To be fair Mourinho was particularly mild after Guardiola went crazy and tried to plant that bomb with Raiola offering Pogba. Though I'm not sure how his reaction would've been afterwards had we lost that derby :lol:

El Zoido

Managers usually stick together. A lot of people who will know what it's like to have someone external want to lecture you about your job. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine having a journalist write about how you're doing your job wrong. It's like, what the hell do you know. Then imagine you're someone with a glittering career such as Jose Mourinho and people are still so critical. Managers stick together because they're the only ones that truly know what it's like, and it could happen to any of them tomorrow.

Greck

To be fair Mourinho was particularly mild after Guardiola went crazy and tried to plant that bomb with Raiola offering Pogba. Though I'm not sure how his reaction would've been afterwards had we lost that derby :lol:
Thought Pep was trying to turn the wrath of United fans on Raiola with that leak.

Kapardin

The bit about spending was aimed more at City as a club than Pep the individual and also a dig at our board for not sanctioning the money. At no point did Jose make any derogatory comments about Pep like he did in the past. Even called him a fantastic manager and congratulated him on winning the title after beating City at the Etihad.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
At no point has pep belittled utd as a club in the press room, nevermind the manager.

Sorry to say, mourinho is a bit rubbish towards other managers and clubs, even Utd...I reckon he has slagged off Utd as a club more than Pep.

LoneStar

Pep seems like a decent guy tbh. He has never spoken bad about United.

Certainly miles better than that wanker Klopp, who has to bring up United everytime. Despite having won feck all.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think Pep has a lot of respect for SAF, so if he belittled United he might feel he is belittling him as well.

Carolina Red

Staff
Managers usually stick together. A lot of people who will know what it's like to have someone external want to lecture you about your job. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine having a journalist write about how you're doing your job wrong. It's like, what the hell do you know.
Spot on right there.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pep and Jose are friends, yes they fell out for awhile but I think in Manchester they have patched up their relationship despite emotions running high. It's the same with the player, they live in the same City and are all close particularly those who knew each other before. Even Kompany's comments show they players, managers don't have the same animosity as a high percentage of fans.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Tell this to Jose.Have a look at his "niceness" when he was on top. The man does not change regardless if he is 13th or first.
Easy, not mandatory tho.
What I’m trying to get at is when Jose was winning regularly he was the darling, no sniping at him and everything was rosey, now every conference and interview he is having to bat away critisicm and shit.
People forget quite easily how the now darling pep was acting, all twitchy and passive aggressive when being questioned when City were not winning.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
When the other manager starts to say things like that or sympathize, you know they don't consider you a threat anymore.

Saw the same thing with a bunch of others. Wenger springs to mind above all.

Water Melon

What I’m trying to get at is when Jose was winning regularly he was the darling, no sniping at him and everything was rosey, now every conference and interview he is having to bat away critisicm and shit.
People forget quite easily how the now darling pep was acting, all twitchy and passive aggressive when being questioned when City were not winning.
Pep and Jose are on different planets when it comes to communication with the press or players.

fellaini's barber

Never heard of a manager going in on another manager when one's job is looking shaky. They usually say encouraging things to each other

el3mel

Pep and Jose are on different planets when it comes to communication with the press or players.
Pep has been slaughtered by some of his ex players for the way he treated them far more than Mourinho though.