Guardiola : I Won’t Judge Jose

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Pep has been slaughtered by some of his ex players for the way he treated them far more than Mourinho though.
Zlatan, Eto'o, Yaya and Ribery are those who came to my mind, but they're all known to be a bit of a nutcases anyway. Which isn't to say Pep treated them fairly, but I think it's mostly about egos and authorities.

el3mel

Zlatan, Eto'o, Yaya and Ribery are those who came to my mind, but they're all known to be a bit of a nutcases anyway. Which isn't to say Pep treated them fairly, but I think it's mostly about egos and authorities.
Mourinho managed several big ego players as well.

Water Melon

Pep was absolutely right in shipping some of those players. He went on to succeed after he shipped. He never lost a dressing room. Mou lost his marbles in both of his last two jobs and was fired for losing his players. I can get into Jose's personal insults, but do not want to go really deep into the shiteness of what he did at times. To me personally Pep and Jose can not be compared in this aspect.

el3mel

Pep was absolutely right in shipping some of those players. He went on to succeed after he shipped. He never lost a dressing room. Mou lost his marbles in both of his last two jobs and was fired for losing his players. I can get into Jose's personal insults, but do not want to go really deep into the shiteness of what he did at times. To me personally Pep and Jose can not be compared in this aspect.
Being right in shipping them is different than treating them poorly. Mourinho was also spot on in getting rid of Iker in Madrid, doesn't mean he didn't handle the situation poorly. You're deflecting from these quotes.

You're free to believe what these players said or not. You asked for quotes. I brought it. My job is done.

And I never said Mourinho is an angel but it's ridiculous to think Pep is.

Aloysius's Back 3

A top squad arises from a manager who has a good eye for the right players to match their good tactics. Jose complaining about his squad is a direct shot at either his own eyes or his own tactics.

Water Melon

Being right in shipping them is different than treating them poorly. Mourinho was also spot on in getting rid of Iker in Madrid, doesn't mean he didn't handle the situation poorly. You're deflecting from these quotes.

You're free to believe what these players said or not. You asked for quotes. I brought it. My job is done.

And I never said Mourinho is an angel but it's ridiculous to think Pep is.
To each his own. I have seen Jose do things that no manager before him did. Pep has shown himself to be in a different league compared to Jose when it comes to diplomacy. Sir Bobby was right.

JSArsenal

All top managers that win trophies consistently do it while spending loads of money and having the best players in the world. You can win a freak season with low quality but you'll never win consistentoy year in year out unless you have top players and spend a lot. Common mistakes done by some title winning sides is they refuse to spend after a huge season, think the squad is already good enough and doesn't imorovement and it usually backfires.

The only exception is SAF who can win consistently with anyone in his disposal. Mourinho, Pep, Carlo, Conte, Allegri, Zidane, Enrique..etc will never deliver year in year out without a top squad. Othewise we will need to move to tier 2 managers who can adapt with any playerz they have, play good football regulary but don't win much.

I don't think that's true about SAF. He's always had absolutely amazing players whenever he won the league. The weakest squad I would say was the 2013 edition, but that still had Van Persie who scored 30 goals, Rooney before he went off the boil completely, Michael Carrick and De Gea. The magic of SAF was that he was able to make the squad players who rounded out the squad, up their levels, in much the way Wenger used to do. The likes of Anderson, Clerverly and Welbeck.

SAF was a great manager but let's not pretend he took a team full of Everton quality players to 13 league titles.

el3mel

I don't think that's true about SAF. He's always had absolutely amazing players whenever he won the league. The weakest squad I would say was the 2013 edition, but that still had Van Persie who scored 30 goals, Rooney before he went off the boil completely, Michael Carrick and De Gea. The magic of SAF was that he was able to make the squad players who rounded out the squad, up their levels, in much the way Wenger used to do. The likes of Anderson, Clerverly and Welbeck.

SAF was a great manager but let's not pretend he took a team full of Everton quality players to 13 league titles.
I agree that in most of his other seasons he had the best or second best team in the league but my point is United squad have been going from bad to worse ever since Ronaldo got sold and replaced by average players. The fact that SAF delayed the decline as much as possible till he retired, still winning the league 2 times and reaching CL final in this period is something he deserves credit for. He proved that he can still win with declining squad in this period.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I don't really have example of managers that won titles without top players but I suspect that they didn't repeat it more than one season.
Ligue 1 has many managers who won the championship with semi-good teams that went to shit next year. Just in the last 10 years Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Marseille.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pep always takes the moral high ground when he’s far in the lead - doesn’t say much. He is the most petty passive aggressive man when he is not on top though.

Fracture90

What I’m trying to get at is when Jose was winning regularly he was the darling, no sniping at him and everything was rosey, now every conference and interview he is having to bat away critisicm and shit.
People forget quite easily how the now darling pep was acting, all twitchy and passive aggressive when being questioned when City were not winning.
In all honesty Mourinho wasn't all that nice when he was at the top.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Pep always takes the moral high ground when he’s far in the lead - doesn’t say much. He is the most petty passive aggressive man when he is not on top though.
Exactly the point I tried to make to the people with short memories, falls on deaf hears though

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In all honesty Mourinho wasn't all that nice when he was at the top.
True but that beaming smile of his first winning Chelsea stint did exist :)

I’m not really here sticking up for mourhino, I just initially replied to a poster stating how angelic pep is compared to Jose

Nikelesh Reddy

Jose vs Pep has turned out to be such a big anticlimax...It’s fizzled out completely,I remember how exhilarating it was to see Jose take over United to challenge Pep at City.But the rivalry has completely petered out...

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Exactly the point I tried to make to the people with short memories, falls on deaf hears though
I would say more than 80% of people on this forum either have short memories or actually remember things and choose not to acknowledge them as it doesn’t fit a narrative. It’s the kind of stuff the media loves tbh

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Guardiola always plays nice to Mourinho, largely because they have known each other for a long time and that Guardiola is really easily triggered by Mourinho.

You don't engage Mourinho in the press because he is the ultimate shite talker (see for example last season with Conte).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly this.
Roll on a couple of games where they're losing again, and we'll see the real Pep creep out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Jose vs Pep has turned out to be such a big anticlimax...It’s fizzled out completely,I remember how exhilarating it was to see Jose take over United to challenge Pep at City.But the rivalry has completely petered out...
Unfortunately, the teams have been way too far apart for there to be any real rivalry.
Jose must watch them lash out £50m repeatedly on defenders when that was a shocking amount, and lament that he had to spend most of his budget just to try and match them already having Aguero and De Bruyne.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ligue 1 has many managers who won the championship with semi-good teams that went to shit next year. Just in the last 10 years Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Marseille.
You basically ignored the second part of my post and these teams had very good players in the context of the league. So, not really.

Fracture90

True but that beaming smile of his first winning Chelsea stint did exist :)

I’m not really here sticking up for mourhino, I just initially replied to a poster stating how angelic pep is compared to Jose
It's cool.

In all fairness whether Guardiola is truly a nice guy or not, that's the image he has built with his approach and demeanor.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
To each his own. I have seen Jose do things that no manager before him did. Pep has shown himself to be in a different league compared to Jose when it comes to diplomacy. Sir Bobby was right.
It's cute how you think Pep is this great guy.

LoneStar

Exactly this.
Roll on a couple of games where they're losing again, and we'll see the real Pep creep out.
All the elite players and managers will of course lash out when they are not winning. That's what makes them winners, they can't stand losing at all.

And I'm sure Jose would say the same about Pep if the situation was the opposite. But it's not. One has been largely more successful than the other recently.

NoLogo

Other than Leicester who had a freak season I can't think of anyone else. So he's not wrong.
Absolutely and with top teams stacking up in absolute top players to a degree that hasn't been the case 10 or 20 years ago it's getting harder and harder for smaller teams without a full eleven of top players to win titles. Just look at Europes top leagues and the CL Leicester and maybe to a degree Monaco and Atletico were the only teams that aren't part of a super rich elite of teams who won any of the big trophies.

Nikelesh Reddy

Unfortunately, the teams have been way too far apart for there to be any real rivalry.
Jose must watch them lash out £50m repeatedly on defenders when that was a shocking amount, and lament that he had to spend most of his budget just to try and match them already having Aguero and De Bruyne.
Kind of agree with you,Guardiola inherited a much much better squad than Mourinho...Jose took over a tougher job than Pep,but Jose can’t absolve himself completely from our predicament.Pep has implemented his style of play(took his players a season to get to grips with it),but we still don’t have a distinct style of play after 2 odd years.

And I”m not moaning for attacking football like Klopp and Pep,it’s unreasonable to appoint a manager who’s always played pragmatically to suddenly change his style.But I wouldn’t mind us playing like Mourinhos Porto or Inter...Rock solid at the back,excellent at closing down spaces and quickly transitioning from defence to attack.Brilliant counter attacking football and rock solid at the back...I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing this...

Jose bought 2 Central defenders and both of them are in serious trouble right now.I still believe in Bailly,the lads a very good defender and he can get back to his best.But Lindelof is increasingly looking like a failed purchase...Similarly why did Jose sign Mikhitaryan?Mikhitaryan wasn’t even close to being a quintessential Mourinho winger/10,both physically and tactically he wasn’t a typical Mourinho signing...

I want Jose to remain in charge...I don’t think there’s a better alternative available right now but Jose isn’t the victim here.Yes,Woodward should have bought him a RW and a CB this summer and his failure to make the appropriate signings is a damning indictment of him...But Mourinho had a chance to sign a RW 2 summers ago and he signed a player who wasn’t a natural fit for his style of play...Mourinho did have a chance to sign his 2nd centre back last summer and by all accounts it looks like he made the wrong signing...

Both Woodward and Mourinho are equally culpable...Both need to start working together to get us out of this mess...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Pep was absolutely right in shipping some of those players. He went on to succeed after he shipped. He never lost a dressing room. .....
Its hard to lose a dressing room.when you are winning. That does not mean he was right to ship out the likes of Etoo when he was falling out with them. Pep gets away with plenty because he wins constantly. Im not sure he'd still be loved by his dressimg room if he went two seasons sans major sucess

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's cute how you think Pep is this great guy.
In comparison to Mourinho I don't think that's hard to see, I don't think Pep has gotten into a tenth of the spats Mourinho has got himself into.

Even when Mourinho was on top he was always nasty with other coaches Wenger Klopp, Benitez, Conte Ranieri. Mourinho won with Porto and he came swinging for Ferguson immediately

"But pouring scorn on Ferguson's reaction, Mourinho said: "I understand why he is a bit emotional.
"You would be sad if your team gets as clearly dominated by opponents who have been built on 10% of the budget."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/champions_league/3487984.stm
"

Last edited by a moderator:

Water Melon

Its hard to lose a dressing room.when you are winning. That does not mean he was right to ship out the likes of Etoo when he was falling out with them. Pep gets away with plenty because he wins constantly. Im not sure he'd still be loved by his dressimg room if he went two seasons sans major sucess
So Pep is a winner and does not lose his dressing room, while Jose...?

Water Melon

These are your words above. Now, as a reply to your last quote my answer is: Pep is a winner. Jose won feck all last season and bottled it when it mattered most. He Was a winner and is YET to win anything major with United. He is a serial loser of his dressing room though.

Ban

Came to write it was a nice touch by Pep only to see standard shitting on our manager. Expected sadly.